Gut Feeling

To See You Again

“Love, I might not be home early.” Yunho said while Yuri was fixing his tie.

Yuri’s expression changed. “Again?” she

He hugged her affectionately and kissed her lightly on the lips. “I’m so sorry, love. A lot of things need to be done in the office.”

Yuri didn’t argue anymore and just nodded, but deep inside she was really hurt. Yunho was hardly home in the past few weeks. He was often in business trips and if not, he was buried in office work. There were even times when Jun would cry in the middle of the night, asking why his father had not come home yet. She never told Yunho about that because she didn’t want to add to his worries.

Truth be told, Yuri could feel that there was something going on with Yunho. His frequent absence from home is just one thing because aside from that, he always seemed stressed and absent-minded. There were times when she attempted to ask but his grim expression often changed her mind. She just observed him silently until she confirmed that Yunho is indeed going through something without her knowledge.

“Are you mad?” Yunho asked as she hugged him from the back.

She shook her head. “It’s just that you’re always in the office. Jun and I miss you a lot.”

 “I’m sorry. I promise to make it up to you soon.”

“It’s okay. We understand. Maybe we could just visit you in the office after Jun’s class?”

Yunho became tensed when he heard her suggestion. “But…uhm…it might be tiring from Jun. I mean he has to study and all. Right?”

“Even just for a few minutes. Please?”

“Yuri…”

She sighed and bit her lip. “We’re just asking for a few minutes, Yunho. Just that. Nothing more.”

Yunho’s expression became dark and angry. “Stop acting like a baby.”

His words pierced right through her like a knife. She couldn’t take the blow of suddenly being a called baby for asking a few minutes from her own husband. It was the first time she heard him talk to her like that.

“I’m not acting like a baby. You are my husband, Yunho. We are a family but it doesn’t seem like that anymore.”

“I’ve got enough on my plate already. If you could just please spare me all the drama. I’m trying my best. Can’t you see?”

“Maybe you are. Maybe I am the problem because I can’t see that. I’m sorry for being such a burden to you. Don’t worry, we won’t bother you anymore.” She retorted, walked out and slammed the door.

***

Jinri almost tripped as she excitedly opened the door. “Anneong.”

Yunho tried to be cheerful despite the heaviness he was feeling inside. “Have you eaten your dinner?” he asked.

“Not yet. I was waiting for you.” She chimed and laid out plates on the dining table.

“You didn’t have to. Anyway, when is your next check-up?” he asked.

“Next week, I think. Will you come with me?”

Yunho nodded as he tried to swallow his food. He wasn’t yet used to his situation. All the lies he had to tell Yuri in order to take care of Jinri made him restless. He often found himself wanting to tell Yuri everything so that it would be over and done. She would understand, he tells himself. But his fear of losing her overpowers him all the time.

And Jinri. She was too demanding. She wanted him always by her side despite knowing his situation. He always tried his best to understand because it was also difficult for her to accept their set-up. She didn’t even want to agree at first, but she said she cared for him enough to understand his reasons. So, every day he would go to her home and take care of her until she falls asleep. After that, he would go home to Yuri only to find them already asleep. It made him really sad, but he had no choice.

However, his recent fight with Yuri made him realize how his plans had taken a toll on their marriage. His wife and son were missing him so much, but he couldn’t give them the time. Instead, he was always with another ‘family’, taking care of ‘another woman’.

“Let’s buy baby stuff tomorrow. What do you think?”

Yunho thought of it for a moment. He needed to make it up to Yuri. “I don’t think I can. I have things to fix.”

“But…what about me?”

“Jinri, I’m always here with you. I rarely have time for my family. I just want to make it up to them.”

Jinri rolled her eyes and put down her chopsticks. “You don’t have to make it up to anyone. I don’t get why you’re still bothering with Yuri. We’re going to have a family soon, Yunnie. You don’t need them.”

They’re everything I need, he thought.