Close

To See You Again

 

Chapter 15

It was already 2:00 in the morning and yet, Yunho was still wide awake. As he stood in the balcony, he felt cold seething through his senses. He rubbed his arms with the back of his hand but soon, he was compelled to wear something thick and to grab a cup of hot cocoa.

He stared at the stars that were about to disappear in the next few hours as recent events dawned on him again. He couldn’t understand what was happening to him. His grief was suddenly overpowered by something he thought he had long forgotten. He knew it was wrong but he couldn’t control it. He knew he was being selfish and unfair but he couldn’t get all his thoughts off his system.

*FLASHBACK*

“Yah! Kwon Jinri! Stop walking already!” he shouted while following her on the road.

She stopped, glared at him and started walking again. The situation was already getting on his nerves so when he can’t take it anymore, he scooped her with his arms and brought her inside his car. He almost regretted what he did as it earned him an ear-splitting scream and excruciating punch on the arm.

“Never thought you could be this ‘wild’.” he said as he soothed his swelling arm.

She sneered and rolled her eyes. “You better thank me for not hitting your face.”

“You are such a stubborn woman.”

“I may be stubborn but you’re still a jerk.”

He sighed and gazed at her tear-smudged face. “I’m sorry for what happened. I’m sorry for always offending you. I hope you can forgive me.”

She didn’t say anything and didn’t even look at him. She just stayed still and it’s only her breathing that Yunho could hear. A few minutes passed and tears started to form in her eyes. She tried to hide it from him but he was clever enough to see it.

“Hey…Please don’t cry.” He whispered and squeezed her hand.

She didn’t pull away and just cried and cried and cried. Yunho didn’t know what to do anymore. He wanted to hug her but he thought she might not like it. So, he just stayed quiet with his hand still entwined with hers.

After a while, she calmed although tears were still visibly cascading on her cheeks.

“I’m sorry.” Yunho said.

“Sometimes, I feel like you hate me so much for looking like my sister, for reminding you of her while there are days when I can see you coming closer because I am her twin, a sole remnant of the woman you love so much. There are times that it hurts while there are times that i feel happy. There are times that I am assured of our friendship while there are times I get confused. However, we always end up like this. I always end up hurting.” She said, still unable to look at him with her eyes full of hurt and pain.

“I can say I don’t know the reason why I am hurting like this but that’s not the case. It’s clear to me why I’m feeling this way.”

Yunho cupped her face and looked at her straight in the eyes. “Then, tell me…”

She sighed but didn’t look away. “I’d rather not.”

“Why?”

“Because Yuri is my sister and you are her husband.”

Once he heard her last statement, Yunho felt his heart thump loudly inside his chest. He tried to compose himself but shock and confusion was all there was inside him. He never wanted it to happen. He never wanted her to fall for him. More so, he never expected to realize that just like her, he could be close to falling in love again.

“Please take me home.” she whispered.

Without a word, he started the engine of the car and drove her home. When she was about to leave, he grabbed her hand gently.

“Let’s set aside whatever happened today. Can you at least let me make it up to you?”

Yunho waited but she didn’t answer. And when she finally gave him a nod, a smile broke off his face.

***

“Good morning, my baby Yunnie.” Yuri whispered as she came closer to her son’s crib.

She couldn’t help but admire the way her son sleeps soundly. She couldn’t believe that the adorable bundle of joy came from her. She caressed his cheek and kissed his forehead.

“Umma’s heart is hurting but she doesn’t know why.” She said as if talking to her sleeping son. “It feels like someone is being taken away from me. I feel lost.”

***

Jinri was startled by a knock on her door. When she opened it, she thought she was only dreaming. But she knew she wasn’t because there he was, standing tall and handsome with a bouquet of tulips on one hand and a bag of food on the other.

“Isn’t it too early for surprises?” she said, unable to hide her glee.

“I don’t think so. Besides, it’s already early 9 am, Madame.” He answered and went straight to sit on her bed.

She crossed her arms on her chest and glared at him. “Did I tell you to come in?”

Yunho pouted. “You want me to go?”

Her expression suddenly softened. Damn, you are such a cutie, she thought.

“Okay fine. Just stay.” She said and sat beside him. “So, what do we have for breakfast?”

He smiled and started unpacking the food he brought. She was quite impressed to learn that he prepared them all by himself. Two ham and cheese sandwiches with a lunch box of mixed fruits may not be complicated to prepare but the mere fact that it was Jung Yunho, the busiest man in the planet, prepared it made her feel special.

“Here.” He said and handed her the other sandwich.

She immediately started munching on it but stopped midway when she noticed him watching her.

“What?”

He scratched his head and chuckled. “Nothing. You just look cute.”

She smiled shyly as she felt heat forming on her cheeks. She noticed a small blotch of mayo on the side of his lips and wiped it. Yunho looked at her and then held her hand close to his cheeks. He closed his eyes as his lips came across her bare skin. It brought shivers down her spine. She wanted to stop him but the sensation was just too much to handle.

And then he stopped and she was disappointed. But it surprised her when he slowly moved closer and kissed her on the lips. It was her first kiss and it felt good. He was gentle and his lips were as soft as cotton. He pulled away and observed her expression. He smiled and then kissed her forehead.

“Am I your first kiss?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“Was it good?”

She just smiled and hugged him.

“I like you, Jung Yunho. I won’t ask you to love me back. I just want you to know because I can’t seem to hide it anymore. I really really like you.”

Yunho didn’t answer. He just returned the hug, much tighter than it was, much warmer than it could ever be.