Perfect Family

To See You Again

 

“Umma, I’m ready!” Yunho shouted as he giddily wore his mini backpack.

Yuri couldn’t help but be proud of his little boy. He has grown so much over the years. He is intelligent and witty. He was so much like his father. A fact that made Yuri sad and happy at the same time.

“Very good, honey. Let’s go.” She said and offered her hand for him to hold.

However, Yunho frowned and stayed where he was. “But…where are we going?”

Yuri leaned to match his height. She looked at him straight in the eyes. “To the place that tells the story of your Umma and Appa.”

Once he heard what she said, Yunho’s face broke into a beautiful smile as he clapped his hands. “Yay! I’m so excited, Umma! Come on now, let’s go! Let’s go!”

Yuri chuckled as her son tugged her endlessly. Outside, they found Minho waiting for them. He smiled kindly at Yuri and carried Yunho to the car.

“I’m so excited, Uncle!” he squealed as he settled himself beside Yuri.

“Why, buddy?”

“We’re going to visit the place that tells the story of Umma and Appa. Is that right, Umma? Did I get it right?” he asked, his eyes still twinkling with excitement.

Yuri nodded and ruffled his hair. However, her attention was caught by Minho’s stare. With that, she knew they had to talk about something.

“Are you sure about this, Yul? Are you ready?” Minho whispered.

Yuri sighed. “This is the least I can do for my child who longs for his father.”

“I’m just here. Whatever your decision is, you know I’ll stand by you and my little buddy.”

***

Yunho just got out of the bathroom when he saw Jinri sitting silently on the bed.

“Morning.” He said and kissed her forehead.

She didn’t respond and just stared at him with such sad eyes. Yunho frowned and leaned closer to her. He was sure something was bothering her.

“What’s wrong?”

She shook her head but Yunho was persistent. He did not let the subject go.

“Jinri, I don’t like it when you hide something from me. What is it? You can tell me.” he said in a rather authoritative voice.

Jinri started to cry and it startled Yunho because she rarely cries. Something must be really wrong.

“I had a really bad dream…really bad.”

“What is it then, honey?”

Jinri sighed and tried to compose herself. “In my dream, you left me because Yuri came back.”

Yunho chuckled. He just couldn’t believe that his Jinri could become a cry baby over a dream. He hugged her and then kissed her lips.

“You know that’s not going to happen, right? I love you and nothing will ever change that. Nothing.” he said affectionately.

She nodded and nuzzled her nose on his neck. “Did I ever tell you how hot you are after you shower?”

He smirked. “Stop that…you don’t know what I can do to you right here, right now.”

Jinri traced his chest with her fingers. “Do it.” She challenged.

Yunho breathed heavily and pressed his lips together, as if trying to suppress whatever he was feeling that moment. “I’d gladly do that but for now, I have other things to accomplish.”

“What?”

“I’ll tell you later. For now, you make yourself busy while you wait for your handsome boyfriend’s return. Or maybe you can buy a y lingerie.” He said and winked.

His naughty remark earned him a playful punch on the arm. And for the next few minutes, they laughed happily, unmindful of what is happening around them.

But little did they know the dream that they thought was impossible was about to come true…in a time when they thought everything was settled and in a way they could never imagine.

***

“Big house!” Yunho shouted as he happily hopped around the area.

Yuri just let him roam around as she herself got immersed in the overflowing memories that she treasured over the years. Her feet brought her to the living room, where they’d spend their night watching horror movies. Yunho would laugh at her when she starts to close her eyes and move closer to him. But she knew he liked it, he always liked protecting her. She saw the picture frames displayed on top of the display cabinet. She touched them, as if relieving the moments each picture represents. The biggest one, which was their wedding picture made her chest wrench in pain. They were so happy on the picture; it was as if nothing could ever go wrong in their lives.

“What happened to us?” she whispered as silent sobs escaped from her.

Then, she went to the kitchen where her husband would watch her cook for him. He always loved her version of beef stew. He would always make Changmin envy by telling him how delicious her dishes were. It always made her laugh how the latter would whine about it all day—non-stop. In the end, she would cook not only for Changmin and Yunho but for Junsu, Jaejoong and Yoochun as well. How she missed them.

Lastly, she brought herself to the room they shared for a long time. It didn’t change a bit. The pictures, the bed sheet, the closets—everything. It seemed as though no one dared to touch it as the place reeked of dust. She opened her closet and her clothes remained neatly organized. She sat on the bed and opened the box on top of the bedside table. There, she found all the cards Yunho gave her through the years. She picked one and decided to read it.

“My Yuri-ah,

                Happy Anniversary! You know how much I love you, right? I can’t take you out of my system. Just the thought of losing you already makes me feel like dying. I love you, my Yuri-ah!

                                                                                                                                                Forever yours,

                                                                                                                                                                Yunho”

Her lips curled into a smile as she remembered the time Yunho gave him the card. They were in college then and they were so in love. Everybody called them the perfect couple. He was so faithful and persistent. Every day, he would wait for her class to end and would bring her home. Her parents loved him too because he was respectful and was such a gentleman.

However, sadness started to creep inside her again. She lied on the bed and curled into a ball. Soon, her silent tears turned into pitiful sobs. She never thought it would be that painful to look back to the memories that once made her the happiest woman in the world. There were a lot of what ifs and could have beens. But if there was one thing she would never regret, it’s the fact that she loved Yunho more than anything else.

***

“It’s time.” Yunho told himself as he got out of his car. His eyes scanned the area as if contemplating f he was really ready to face everything he avoided through the years. He took a deep breath and opened the main door of the house.

Nothing changed. Their house stayed as it was because that was what he wanted before he decided to leave after Yuri died. He sat on the sofa and let the familiarity take over him. He looked at the pictures and smiled at the beautiful shots of his wife. How he missed her.

He went to the kitchen and sat there as he imagined watching Yuri cook. She would laugh at him every time she catches him staring at her. The beef stew she cooks was the best in the whole of Korea. His friends would always tell him how lucky he was to find such a loving wife. And he would agree without any hesitations.

He went back to the living room and sat on the piano chair. Yuri was such a good pianist. She never failed to amaze him with every piece she played. Sometimes, they would sing together when they can’t sleep. She would laugh when he starts to get too immersed with the song. He would shyly stop and rub his nose with his finger. She would kiss him on the cheek like he was a baby. And he liked it. He liked the way Yuri adored him.

“Yul…”he said, as if he was really talking to Yuri.

He sighed. “You know that I love you, right? But I have to tell you something. Tomorrow, I’m going to propose to your sister. She is a good person and she helped me move on with my life. When you died, I thought nothing made sense anymore. But when she came into my life, I realized that I can still be happy. Yul…” he didn’t finish what he was saying when he heard someone laughing.

He followed the sound until he saw a child in the garden, chasing a frog around. He wondered how the child got in.

Maybe he’s the son of the care taker. He thought.

He cleared his throat and the child stopped what he was doing. When he turned around, Yunho’s heart skipped a beat. The eyes, the nose, the lips…it was like he was staring at his childhood. The boy was his spitting image. He walked towards him and crouched down to match his height.

The boy stared at him innocently and then smiled. “Hi!” he said in English.

Yunho smiled back. “Hello. What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I’m with my Umma. This is the place that tells the story of my Umma and Appa.”

Yunho frowned. He was confused. He didn’t know what he was talking about. “Where’s your Umma?”

“She’s inside. She told me I can play around.”

“What’s your name?”

“My name is…”

“Yunho!” a woman shouted.

The two boys turned around, the other smiled and ran towards the woman and the other stood where he was…utterly shocked and confused.

***

Yunho’s POV:

What the hell is happening? I can’t understand. My mind went blank. My feet felt numb. My heart went somersault.

Her eyes, her lips, her nose, her hair, her face…nothing changed. She was the same woman I loved years ago, the same woman I married, the same woman I grieved for.

What kind of game is this? Why am I being played on? Is this for real? Is this really Yuri standing in front of me?

I cannot be mistaken. She wasn’t Jinri. I just knew she wasn’t.

I took a few steps towards her. It felt forever before I was finally right in front of her. I stared at her and her eyes had the kind of sadness I’ve never seen before. She was in pain. I knew it. She really was.

“Yul…” I said as tears started to blur my vision. I cupped her face and knew she was real. It wasn’t a dream. My Yul is alive.

***

Yuri’s POV:

I closed my eyes as I felt him touch my face.

I never thought we’d see each other again this way. Nothing changed as he was still the same man I loved years ago. He was still handsome and still had that aura of a confident and authoritative man. And I still love him just as much as before.

“You’re alive…” he said.

I nodded and wiped the tears that smudged his beautiful face. He pulled me closer to him and enveloped me in a tight hug. His chest was pounding hard and soon, it started to growl as he sobbed really hard. I didn’t know how to respond but I just let myself loose and let the longing take over me. I moved my arms and wrapped them around him. I felt familiar warmth radiating through me. Warmth that I thought I had long forgotten.

Truly, right at that every moment, we forgot about all the complications the past years brought into our lives.

“I can’t believe you’re alive.” He said as he moved closer and kissed me passionately.

Again, familiarity struck me. It was like I was falling in love all over again, harder this time. I let him take over me as his lips moved the way they should. We were running out of breathe but we didn’t care. I liked the feeling of having him close to me. I missed him so much.

 “Ewwwww!” I hear my boy shout. With that, we stopped and found him covering his eyes with his hands.

I carried him with his arms. “Sorry, baby. Umma was just carried away.”

He frowned and started at the guy in front of him. “Umma…is he…”

I nodded. “Yes, honey. He is your Appa.”

He didn’t respond and kept quiet. Yunho and I looked at each other. I was starting to worry because our son didn’t react to what I said. He just looked at Yunho like he was scrutinizing him. But we felt relieved when he smiled and nuzzled his face on my neck.

“What’s wrong, honey?”

Slowly, he looked at his father again. “I’m shy…” he whispered.

Yunho and I laughed in chorus.

“Come on, son. Come to Appa.” Yunho said and opened his arms.

Our son was hesitant at first but it didn’t take long before he moved closer to his father. They hugged each other for a while. Yunho was evidently trying to conceal his tears while his son kept on kissing him all over the face. Soon, we were all hugging and kissing.

For a while, I felt like we were the perfect family that we should be—the wife, the father, and the son.

***

 

So, how did you like the chapter? I hope it didn't disappoint.

 

Thank you for the comments and subscriptions! :)