Puzzled

To See You Again

 

“Who are you?” Jinri asked her face bombarded with curiosity.

He frowned and for a second, he seemed to forget all the emotions he had few minutes ago. Jinri saw how he scrutinized him. Amidst the peculiarity of the situation, she can’t help but feel sorry for him because his eyes were full of hurt and longing. But she also couldn’t understand where the man was coming from. He just suddenly popped out, saying things like she was alive coupled with touching and hugging. She was so sure such dramatic moments only happen in TV. But she was wrong. Very wrong.

“Yul, this me, your husband. Jung Yunho. Remember?”

Now he’s calling me with another name. And husband? The hell! Never even had a boyfriend for Pete’s sake! She shouted mentally.

She took a few steps away from him, afraid that he might just jump on her anytime. She smiled meekly, trying not to show the tension building up inside her.

“You must be mistaken, Sir. My name is Jinri. Choi Jinri. And the last time I checked, I’m single.” She tried to sound as polite as possible.

The man’s eyes turned into slits as if he was about to explode. He stared at her for about 30 seconds, sending shivers down her spine. And just like that, his expression softened again. He walked towards her and enveloped her in a tight hug once again.

Unbelievably, Jinri felt warmth radiating inside her. She wanted to put it aside but she couldn’t help it. For the first time in years, she felt loved.

What is wrong with you, Jinri?! He’s a stranger! She scolded herself.

“Yul…let’s stop this joke. Let’s go home now. Okay?” he said affectionately.

She escaped from his hug and composed herself. “Again, you are mistaken. I am not Yul. I am Jinri.”

“ it, Yuri! What is wrong with you? Damn it! Stop playing this joke on me! It’s not ing funny!” he yelled.

She flinched as it was the first time she saw someone so bequeathed with rage. She didn’t know what to do. She didn’t dare move from her place. She just stared at him as he turned his back on her and as his shoulders started to shake. Soon enough, he was sobbing. She wanted to comfort but she wasn’t sure if it would make the situation better.

“Hyung, we’re…hyung? What’s wrong?” A tall man said as he walked together with three others towards Yunho. They looked around and when the sight of her caught them, they had the same reaction as Yunho.

“Yul…” whispered the man with a porcelain-like skin.

The tall man stared in disbelief while the other two kept saying she’s alive. In no time, they were all surrounding her. They were asking a lot of questions she couldn’t understand. And when they noticed she wasn’t answering their questions, their faces started to emanate worry.

“Hey, Yul. What’s wrong?” asked the tall man who they called by the name Changmin.

She took a deep breath as she decided it was time to break the ice. “I am not Yuri. I am Jinri. Choi Jinri.”

The other man named Yoochun smirked and ruffled her hair. “Still a prankster, huh? When you get back, you should spend less time with Hyoyeon.”

The other three laughed heartily. Jinri closed her eyes because the situation was getting into her nerves. Yesterday, she was happy in her own little world. And now, she was being terrified by strangers who kept calling her a name she never heard before.

Who the hell is Yuri? And why are these people calling me with her name?

“I am not joking. I am not Yuri. I am Choi Jinri. How many times do I have to tell you?!” she shouted, unable to control her frustration.

The four looked at each other with puzzled expressions. Then they turned to Yunho who remained where he was, crying.

“Hyung, what’s happening? What’s she talking about?” Junsu asked.

Yunho breathed heavily as he shook his head in despair. He faced her once again, with tears still b on his face. She felt a wave of pity towards him but she couldn’t let them believe what they wanted to believe just like that. She wasn’t Yuri, that thing’s for sure.

Changmin held her arm gently. “Do you have amnesia, Yul?” he asked.

She almost laughed at his question. “Are you serious? My memory is good as new. You can have it checked if you want.”

“Yul…please…” Yunho pleaded, attempting to lock her in his arms again. But she was clever enough to avoid it.

Jaejoong’s face was now evident of frustration. He sat on the bench as he massaged his temples. “What kind of a sick joke is this?” he said.

“I told you. I am not Yuri. You can ask the nuns who took care of me since I was a child. They can attest to my statements.”

The four looked at Yunho, as if waiting for his decision on the matter. Without any word, he walked towards the building with his fists clenched, accentuating his veins and chiselled arm muscles. They all followed him including Jinri.

When they saw Sister Anna, Jinri immediately went to her side and held on to her arms. The nun looked at her and the boys simultaneously. She caressed Jinri’s hand as she let her stay behind her.

“Is there anything I can do for you, gentlemen?” she asked calmly.

“Who is she?” Yunho asked straightforwardly.

Without hesitations, the nun told them everything. They learned that she was left by her parents in the orphanage due to lack of money to support her. Since then, no one ever heard of them again. Sister Anna showed the boys some proofs that she really grew up there.

“I hope that settles everything.” Sister Anna said.

Changmin glanced at Jinri once again. “So, she isn’t really Yuri.” He muttered.

“But…”

“Junsu.” Yunho said as he raised his right hand, as if telling the former to shut up. He then stood up and bowed his head to the nun and Jinri. “I’m sorry for wasting your time. Have a good day.” With that, he walked out of the door without looking back as the others followed them.

Jinri felt really bad to see him leave with a heavy heart. They may not be related but she understood the feeling of being left behind, of being forgotten.

“I wish I could help.” She told Sister Anna.

The nun cupped her face. “All wounds need time to heal, dear. His wounds are still fresh but he will heal. He will heal.”

***

On their way home, everyone was quiet. The four kept sending signals to each other as they took glances at Yunho who was staring blankly outside, his eyes devoid of emotions. Junsu cleared his throat but Yoochun stopped him.

“Spill it, Su.” Yunho said flatly, aware of the exchange among his friends.

Junsu looked at him intently before he spoke. Once again, he cleared his throat. “Well, she may not be Yul. BUT did you ever think of the possibility that she might be her twin? I mean they look exactly alike. No two people can look exactly the same if they aren’t twins.”

“Maybe she had a plastic surgery. Who knows, she might be a fan of Yul.” Changmin said.

Jaejoong sent him a death glare. “Shut up or I’ll throw you out of this car.”

“Yah! I’m just thinking of the possibilities!”

“Just shut up, Shim.” Yoochun said.

“Whatever.” The maknae said and rolled his eyes as he continued his cookies and cream ice cream.

“Hyung?” Junsu said, checking if Yunho actually processed what he said.

Yunho sighed. “When she told me she wasn’t Yuri, that possibility crossed my mind. But to be honest, I was too overwhelmed with the moment that I forgot about being rational. I may sound rude but right now, I just don’t care about whatever her connection is with my wife. She isn’t Yuri. End of conversation.”

“But don’t you think Mr. and Mrs. Kwon deserve to know?” Jaejoong pointed out.

“They do. But I don’t think I have the courage to tell them now.”

“We’ll help you hyung.” Changmin said.

“Not right now, Minnie. Just not right now.”

****

Hello readers!

How are you? I hope you're doing fine! I appreciate your effort to comment on every update. It makes me feel happy and inspired. Thank you so much!

The next chapters will reveal more of Jinri's story and how she'll enter our boys' lives especially Yunho. You see, she's a loveable girl. She may not be Yuri but she definitely has a good heart. :)