Bonding with Uncle Changmin

To See You Again

It was a beautiful day. The smell of bacon and pancakes is all around the house. Jun (Junior), as they now call little Yunho, was happily watching his mother squeeze oranges for him.

“Good morning, my angels.” Yunho said as he sat beside Jun.

“Good morning, Appa. Umma is making fresh orange juice. It’s my favourite.” He said.

Yunho smiled lovingly at Yuri. “Your Umma makes the best orange juice in town. When she was still my girlfriend, she would always make it for me.”

“Umma is the best!”

“Yes. Umma is the best!” Yunho agreed.

Yuri, on the other hand, couldn’t help but chuckle. “You two. What do you want? I know you want something. Come on, spill the beans.”

Yunho pinched her cheeks. “We want nothing. We just love you that much. Right, son?”

Jun nodded in agreement and crawled onto his mother’s lap. “I’m so happy, Umma and Appa.” He said.

“Why is that so?” Yunho asked.

“Because I now have a complete family. Kids at school won’t bully me anymore for not having an Appa.”

Yuri bit her lip as she realized how much his son has suffered in the past. Yunho held her hand tight, knowing that she was trying to stop herself from crying.

“Don’t worry, son. Nothing will break us apart now. We will always be a family. Always.” Yunho said and hugged his son tight.

“Is that a promise, Appa?” he asked and held out his pinkie finger.

Yunho entangled it with his. “Yes.” He said and ruffled Jun’s hair.

“Sir, Mr. Shim is here.” The maid said, interrupting their moment.

Yuri frowned and checked her watch. “It’s only 8am.”

“And it’s a weekend.” Yunho added.

“I smell pancakes and bacon.” Changmin said as he sat beside Yunho, not even bothering to greet them.

Yuri cleared . “What are you doing here at this time of the day? You’re supposed to be asleep.”

Changmin swallowed a quarter of his pancake before he answered. “I want to take Jun out.”

Jun’s face lit up as he clasped his hands in excitement. “Where to? Where to?”

“Lotte World.” He said and winked at the boy.

Yuri was sceptical while Yunho was amused by how much his friend was fond of his son. Changmin was not exactly good with kids. In fact, he always makes them cry because of his snarky attitude.

“But you’re not good with kids, Changmin.” Yuri pointed out.

Changmin grinned. “Come on, people change. Besides, he’s your son. There’s no way I will harm him. Just so you know, I adore this kid so much.” He said and pinched Jun’s cheeks.

Yuri looked at Yunho. “What do you think?”

Yunho smiled and nodded. “I’ll allow it. But if my son comes home crying, I’ll definitely make you pay for all the food you’ve taken from my office and from my house. Understood?”

“Yes, yes.” Changmin answered, still munching on his bacon and pancakes.

***

“What do you want to do, kid?” Changmin asked Jun as they entered Lotte World.

Jun smiled and pointed his finger to the carousel. “Let’s ride that one.”

“Carousel it is.”

After the carousel ride, Jun and Changmin proceeded with all their rides. When they realized that they’ve done almost everything, they decided to eat.

“I’m so hungry. You’re a little ball of energy. I’m almost out of breath.” Changmin said as he sat opposite Jun.

The little boy giggled and drank his glass of chocolate milkshake. “Yum yum.”

Changmin chuckled and ruffled the boy’s hair. “You are indeed adorable. You’re just like your mother.”

“Huh? How about Appa? Isn’t he adorable?”

“I swear you wouldn’t want to see your father being adorable. He makes me want to end my life when he acts cute.”

“I think Appa is cute.” Jun said.

Changmin rolled his eyes. “Yeah right.”

Jun stopped eating and looked at Changmin curiously. “Do you hate my Appa?”

He was quite taken aback by the boy’s question. “No. You’re mistaken.” He said as he shook his head profusely. “In fact, among all my friends. I’m closest to your Appa. He’s my best friend. I was shy and quite an introvert when I was young but because of him, I was able to open up. He helped me a lot.”

Jun smiled at Changmin. “Appa tells me the same thing.”

“Really?”

The boy nodded and took a spoonful from Changmin’s chocolate mousse.

“Yah! How…aish! That’s mine!”

“You can have mine too, here.” Jun said and pushed his plate towards Changmin.

“Uncle?”

“Yes?”

“How about Umma? She said you are also her best friend.”

Changmin didn’t answer. Indeed, he was Yuri’s best friend. Just her best friend. Nothing less. Nothing more.

“Yes, I am.”

“But why did she marry Appa and not you? They were also best friends.”

It was the same question Changmin was asking himself in the past years. Why Yunho? Why not him? It was as if he could feel the pain again. The pain he tried so hard to forget. The pain that he remembered again because of Jinri, who, just like Yuri, chose Yunho over him.

Changmin smiled, trying to mask his emotions. “Because she loves your Appa.”

“Huh? But she loves you too, right?”

“Yes. But only as a friend.” He answered.

Jun scratched his head. “I don’t understand.”

Changmin snickered. ”You’ll understand when you grow up.”

Jun pouted and finished his food. However, he suddenly stopped eating as his attention was taken by someone.

“Isn’t that Umma?”

Changmin frowned and looked outside. He almost choked on his water when he saw who it was. How he wished it was indeed Yuri but it wasn’t. It was Jinri.

“I don’t think it’s your Umma. It’s your Aunt Jinri.”

Jun gasped and hid behind Changmin’s chair. The latter was shocked by the boy’s frightened look. It was as if Jinri’s presence took all the joy out of him.

“What’s wrong, kid?”

“She’s scary. She threatened Umma. I overheard it when Umma and Appa were talking. She made Umma cry.”

Changmin’s jaws dropped. He couldn’t believe that Jinri was actually capable of doing that. Where has the sweet and caring Jinri gone?

“Changmin? Is that you?” Jinri said as he walked towards their table.

He almost jumped from his seat when he heard her voice. He tried to regain his composure but failed terribly when she was finally right in front of him. Jun, on the other hand, couldn’t even look at her.

“Uh, hi.” Changmin said.

Jinri looked at him suspiciously. “Something wrong?”

Changmin shook his head. “Nothing. I just didn’t expect to see you here.”

She smiled and took Jun’s seat. “I see you’re with…their kid.”

“Come on, kid. Greet your Aunt.” Changmin said as he put him on his lap.

Jun bowed and smiled at her kindly. “Hello, Aunt Jinri.”

Jinri looked at him coldly and didn’t even bat an eye. “You look like your father.”

The boy smiled meekly. “Thank you.”

“So, are you alone?” Changmin asked, trying to divert Jinri’s attention so that Jun won’t be terrified anymore.

Jinri smiled. “Yes. I actually shopped for clothes.”

“Going on a trip?”

She nodded. “I’m off to New York.”

“New York. Nice choice for vacation.”

Jinri’s expression changed. Her eyes spoke of sadness as her breathing became heavy. “I’m staying there for good.”

Her answer hit Changmin’s heart like a dagger. All of a sudden, he forgot how awful she has become. All he saw was a woman whose hear has been badly broken. A woman who wants to escape the sad truth of losing the one she loves.

“But…are you sure?”

“Yes. If I stay, it would just be harder for all of us. I want to move on with my life but not here. I want a fresh start.”

Changmin took her hand. “I hope you find your happiness in New York. I really do.” He said sincerely.

Jinri caressed his cheek. “Thank you, Minnie. You’ve been a good friend to me.”

“I guess this is goodbye for now. We got to go. You take care of yourself.” He said and took Jun’s hand.

Jinri stood and hugged him. “Goodbye, Minnie. I’ll miss you.”

Changmin just smiled and didn’t answer. He knew if he didn’t go immediately, he would be on his knees, begging her to stay.

“Goodbye, Jinri.” He said and walked towards the door.

When they were finally in the car, he looked back at her one last time as his tears filled his eyes.

I love you, Jinri.

***

“Hey, kid. We’re home.” Changmin said as he entered the gate of the Jungs.

But he received no answer because Jun was already fast asleep. He carefully took him and his arms and pushed the doorbell button.

Yunho opened the door and heaved a sigh of relief. “Did you two enjoy?” she asked.

Changmin just nodded and didn’t say anything. Yuri noticed his sadness. She knew Changmin too well to know whether or not he was going through something.

“Are you okay? You seem so gloomy. Did Jun trouble you?”

He shook his head. “No. He was actually well-behaved.”

“Then, what is it?”

Changmin contemplated whether or not he would tell her. Bu then, he just decided to just stay quiet about it.

“I don’t think this is the right time to tell anyone.”

It made Yuri more curious but she didn’t insist anymore. She knew he will tell them when he is ready.

“Okay then. But whatever it is, I know you’re gonna make it through, you’re Shim Changmin after all.”

Changmin chuckled. “So much for being a friend.”

Yuri laughed along and enveloped Changmin in a tight hug. “We’re here for you, Minnie.”

“It’s late, Yul. You better stop hugging me. My mother is going to kill me when I get home.” he said and untangled himself from the hug.

“Still a mama’s boy, huh?”

“Yeah right.”

Yuri accompanied him outside and when he was about to get inside his car, he called for Yuri who was already on her way inside the house.

“Yes?”

“Did I ever tell you how glad I am that you’re back?”

“No.”

“Then, I’m glad you’re back. I really am.” He said and smiled.