Yunho

To See You Again

 

“We are gathered here tonight to celebrate a wonderful beginning of our family. For a long time now, we have been searching for her to the point of almost giving up. However, fate brought her to us once again. So ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our daughter…Kwon Jinri.”

Everyone gasped as the lady in a red elegant dress cascaded her way down the staircase. They all had the same thing in mind—she looked exactly like Yuri. Cameras started to flick and people started to introduce themselves to her. She was now too far from the plain lady she used to be. She was now a Kwon, a member of one of the richest families in Korea. More importantly, she was no longer an orphan for she has a family now.

Changmin, Jaejoong, Yoochun and Junsu sent worried looks to Yunho. They remembered how he disappeared for two weeks after the incident in the orphanage. They were so afraid that he might turn into a trash again but when he appeared, he was just the same except that he seemed like a heartless man. Obviously, the presence of Jinri destroyed him once again because she made him remember his pain and most especially, his wife. However, despite that, he made sure to tell the Kwon family about their long-lost daughter.

Their eyes met and Yunho looked away. They’ve been bumping with each other for a long time now but never was he able to actually look her in the eyes or even talk to her extensively. All they had was exchange of bows and awkward hello’s. If not for Mr. and Mrs. Kwon, he wouldn’t even be in the welcome party for Jinri.

“Hyung, let’s go.” Changmin said, aware of how awful the situation was for Yunho.

Yunho shook his head. “It’s okay Minnie. I’ll manage.” he said with a smile.

Soon, he saw Mr. and Mrs. Kwon walking towards him and when they reached him, Mrs. Kwon held his hands gently.

“I couldn’t thank you and your friends enough, son. If not for you, our daughter would not be with us today and we would still be searching in vain.” She said.

Yunho squeezed her hand and smiled. “This is what Yuri would have wanted me to do.”

The couple smiled but their eyes meant sadness at the mention of their other daughter’s name. “She would have been happy to meet her.” Mr. Kwon said.

Yunho nodded in agreement as he found himself too tired to talk about anything anymore. Just standing in the party while watching a woman who looked like his wife being introduced to their world made him feel emotionally exhausted. However, it didn’t end there as he saw Jinri heading towards their group.

She bowed and smiled politely at them. “Hello! Thank you for coming!” she said cheerfully.

Yunho smirked at her. “You seem to be enjoying this huh.”

Jinri frowned. “What…do you mean?”

He didn’t answer and stared at her blankly. The way his eyes landed on her made her uncomfortable. She felt scrutinized once again.

Junsu blocked their view of each other and smiled at Jinri. “You look good in that dress. You should wear such clothes more often. Stop wearing those tattered jeans and baggy shirts.”

“But I feel awkward wearing this. I feel more comfortable with my old clothes.”

Jaejoong stood beside Junsu and patted her head. “Junsu is right. You look better with such clothes.”

“You have no choice anyway. You’re a Kwon now and your mother wouldn’t let you wear your old stuff anymore.” Yoochun added, also with a smile.

Changmin rolled his eyes at his hyungs. “Guys, stop putting too much pressure on her. Just let her wear what she wants to wear.” He said and smiled at her reassuringly.

For the first time since she met them, she felt grateful they were around. Being surrounded with strangers in the party made her feel out of place but when she saw them, she felt like she belonged. They made her feel more at ease except for Yunho who didn’t even bother to act nice towards her.

“By the way, we have to go now. We still have work tomorrow.” Jaejoong said.

“Oh, let me take you to the exit.” She offered.

They didn’t refuse and let her lead the way. When they reached their cars, each of them gave her a hug.

“Welcome to the family.” Yoochun said.

She smiled and thanked them earnestly. Yunho was already in his car so she wasn’t able to say goodbye. But as he navigated his way outside the building, she saw how his formerly blank expression turned into a sad one.

“I’m sorry for making you remember her. I’m sorry…”she whispered to herself.

****

Yunho was on his way to his office when he saw someone familiar walking down the street. He wanted to confirm it so he went near and suddenly, he felt his heart throb hard when he saw that it was actually Jinri.

Damn. Why am I like this? He thought.

He was about to walk away when she suddenly called his name. He didn’t have a choice but to greet her. After the pleasantries, he had no idea what to say anymore until the situation became awfully awkward for them.

“So…where are you going?” he asked, an attempt to break the ice.

“I’m about to go to the grocery store.” She answered.

It would seem rude if I don’t offer her a ride. He thought. “Would you like me to take you there? I mean, it’s on my way.”

Jinri scratched her head and seemed really reluctant to accept his offer. “But…”

“No more but’s. Come on.” He said and walked his way to his car.

“So bossy.” She whispered.

Yunho looked back. “Did you say something?”

She shook her head and followed behind him. When they got inside the car, uneasiness was in the air. Jinri settled herself looking through the window while Yunho concentrated on driving. The latter felt tension building up inside him. It was the first time they got to be alone together since the unfortunate incident in the orphanage. He tried not to look at her but in the corner of his eyes; he could see how she was also trying to make herself comfortable with a rather awkward situation.

“Why didn’t ask your driver to take you to the grocery?” he asked, trying to break the silence.

“I don’t want to get used to things I can live without. And walking is good for the body.” she said.

“I thought you were enjoying this. I mean, with all the things you’ve gone through, finding your rich parents must have felt good.”

Jinri’s expression hardened as her lips started to form a thin line. She closed her eyes as if trying to compose herself. Then, she looked at him straight in the eyes. “I can live without money but I wanted a family to be with. If not for my parents’ wish, I wouldn’t even be here. You have no idea how much I hate this kind of life. In just a snap, everybody’s curious about me. Wherever I go, people would take pictures of me. All these fancy clothes and aristocratic events don’t fit me at all. I don’t fit your world at all. If i had a choice, I would go back to my old life wherein I am not required to be anyone else but me.”

Yunho felt how offended she was. He felt guilty for thinking ill about her. Now, he didn’t know how to redeem the situation anymore.

“Hey…I didn’t mean it that way. I’m sorry.”

Jinri sighed. “It’s okay. I understand. Just please don’t judge me just like that.”

Yunho nodded and kept quiet until they reached the grocery store. When Jinri was about to get off, he tugged her gently.

“I’m really sorry. I hope we can start all over again. I mean, start as friends or something.”

“We’ll see.” She said and went on without looking back.

***

“How is she doctor?” Minho asked.

The doctor flipped through several papers before he finally gave him an answer. “Well, she has temporary amnesia. The accident caused blood to clot in her brain.”

Minho massaged his temples. “So, how long it will take before she regains her memory?”

“We’ll never know. It can be tomorrow or maybe next month or even next year.” The doctor said and went out of the room.

Minho sighed for the nth time as he stared at the woman who has just woken from months of sleep. Despite her memory loss, she accepted motherhood wholeheartedly. Her slender fingers trailed the face of her few month old baby boy. When she realized he was staring at them, she looked at him curiously and frowned.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

Minho shook his head and sat on the side of her bed.

“Isn’t he the most beautiful thing?” she said lovingly.

“Yes, he is. So, what’s his name?”

She smiled as her eyes shone brightly. “I thought of a name a while ago and I think it would really fit him.”

“What is it then?” Minho asked.

“Yunho. I want to name him Yunho.”

--------------------

 

Hello readers!

 

So, what do you think of the update? Don't be mad about Jinri. She's an important character. More like a turning point for Yunri's relationship. 

 

And...Yuri's back! Well, not exactly back with our Yunnie. But it's important that she and her baby is alive, right? Stay tuned!