Fame!

Can I Have This Dance? [Discontinued]
“Stop! No, no, no! This is so wrong! You’re off beat! And you! Yeah you! Can you please make the same moves as the others? We're not in some random zoo here; the audience is not supposed to see monkeys jumping on the stage! Start over again from the chorus. Group B you go first then Group A” Harris yelled, “Seriously, where did you get them? It’s a total mess!’’ he asked Mr Bethlke, our choreographer, and then got back to his seat.
 
Mr Bethlke sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. He clapped his hands and said, “Okay guys! Let’s get this from the chorus. You can do this! Get ready! 5! 6! 7! 8!’’
 
Fame! I’m gonna live forever. I’m gonna learn how to fly. High!” the music started in the instant.
 
I think you guessed what it’s going on, right? Yep, these are the final rehearsals of the famous Broadway musical ‘Fame’ before tomorrow night’s premiere and Mr Harris, the director, is still yelling at us for no reason.
 
Oh! Sorry! I’m being rude. I didn’t introduce myself first. My name is Lee Sorin and yes I’m Korean. I came here, in the U.S., when I was 13, after an old man spotted me dancing ballet on his friend’s wedding and offered me a scholarship for college. Well this old man happened to be Joseph W. Polisi. You don’t know him? It’s simple! He is the president of New York’s most famous art school: Juilliard. At the age of 18, I graduated from the dance/choreography section, and now, I’m 20, and I’m the lead dancer on this musical. Great huh?
 
The first group was finishing its part and the next one was up to dance. The choreography was amazing! It was not that complicated but the synchronization, the beauty of the moves and the energy that the dancers were giving made it a powerful and touching performance. Before I knew it, my turn to step on stage arrived. Two guys lifted me so I was standing straight on their shoulders. They walked through the stage, jumping slightly at some times, holding onto my legs so that I won’t fall. They stopped at the middle facing the audience. I waited for Mr Bethlke ’s signal before executing a double back flip and landing in a guy’s arm, bridal style. He put me down and all of us kept dancing according to the choreography.
 
Since I was in the middle of the crowd, they separated into two groups and I made my way to the front of the stage. As the music was about to end, someone tripped and fell on the floors, grabbing my hair in the process.
 
“Ah!” I yelled in pain and surprise. The music stopped, immediately replaced by Harris’ screaming voice.
 
“What the hell do you thing you’re doing? What is wrong with you huh?” he scolded.
 
“Oh my God! I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” the girl, Amanda, asked me while standing up, reaching her hand up to my head,
 
“Yeah! I’m fine.” I smiled,
 
“I’m really sorry! You’re sure you’re not hurt?” she asked panicking,
 
“It’s okay, don’t worry” I gave her a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder,
 
“No it’s not okay!” Harris yelled again, “How could this be okay if it happens tomorrow, at the PREMIERE?” his face was reddish,
 
“Sorry sir” we both apologized,
 
“I don’t care if you are sorry or not! All I want is YOU doing your job well and not ruin tomorrow’s performance!! Amanda! Can’t you be careful? And you Korean girl–!”
 
“Sorin sir”, at least he could remember my name
 
“Sorin, whatever! YOU are the lead dancer, so YOU have to be careful TOO! If you don’t do this properly I’ll get someone else to do it!” he screamed, he was now bright red. After 10 long minutes of lecturing about the fact that this was a really famous musical, that more than 5 thousand people will be watching us and even the press will be here, that we need to give more than our best to make this perfect… The director left the theatre, groaning.
 
Right after the door shut close with a big ‘BANG’, Mr Bethlke turned to us, “Let’s have an hour and a half break, then we’ll start over from the beginning okay?”
 
“OKAY!” everyone answered.
 
I sighed in relief. Finally getting a break!
 
As I made my way backstage, I heard someone call my name, “Sorin! Wait for me!” I turned my head to see Sidney running toward me. She came up and linked arm with me.
 
“Whoa…I’m so tired! We’ve been practicing for over 5 hours! Ow… My legs hurt!” she whined,
 
“Really? I’m not really tired…” I laughed, scratching the back of my neck,
 
“Well, you are Lee Sorin! Of course you’re not!” she said messing my hair,
 
“Hey! Stop it! I spent a lot of time on this this morning!” I pouted,
 
She chuckled, “I’m going to change! Let’s go to a restaurant when we’re done okay?” she smiled,
 
Okay!” then she went to her locker. I smiled.
 
She is Sidney Mayer, my best friend. She and I went to the same school and got cast for ‘Fame’ together. The representation of the perfect American girl: 5.7 tall, perfect curves, with deep blue eyes and gorgeous blonde hair. The first time I saw her I though ‘Is she a Greek goddess or something?’ On my first day of school, I was a little lost. It’s not really common to see a 13 year-old kid in college. If it weren’t for her, I would’ve been friendless though she’s 5 years older than me. She taught me English and so did Jason, my male best friend. Jason Kim is also 25. Unlike Sidney who’s 100% American, his father is Korean and his mother is Canadian, which gives him his charming green eyes and metis face. The three of us live together in an apartment we rent, and we’re pretty much stuck together. Unfortunately, Jason didn’t get cast but he got the chance to go for a training week with Jeffrey Daniel, the choreographer of Michael Jackson’s ‘BAD’.
 
I went to take a shower and changed into daily clothes. When I came out, Sidney was already waiting for me.
 
“You’re ready?” she asked me,
 
“Yep!”
 
“Okay, let’s go!” she hooked arm with me and we started walking to the exit.
 
As we got outside, my phone rang. I looked at the ID picture and smiled.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hey! Wassup man? Sorin? Haw ah you bro?” his voice sang in a broken English,
 
“Oppa… Stop trying to speak English, you know I hate that,” I said laughing,
 
“Why? Didn’t I improve?” he asked,
 
“You'll be able to speak English when pigs might fly” I said,
 
“Then teach me!” Hyukkie said,
 
“No way! It’ll take centuries to teach you how to pronounce ‘Hello’ properly” I joked,
 
“I’m not that bad…” I could see him pouting right now,
 
“Why are you calling anyway?” I finally asked,
 
“Mom told me your premiere is tomorrow! Since you’ll probably be busy I wanted to wish you luck now!” he said,
 
“Thanks Oppa! I wished you could be here! We haven’t seen each other for at least 2 years!”
 
“I know! I wished I could see you dance too! Anyway… I gotta go so… Milky skin Lee Sorin! I love You Lee Sorin! Fighting!” he cheered,
 
I laughed at this, “Thanks Oppa! Have a nice day! I’ll call you!”
 
“Bye sis!” and he hung up.
 
“Was that your Mom?” Sidney asked,
 
“Nope, it was my brother”
 
“Oh! You mean your famous Korean star brother?”
 
I nodded. Yep, my brother is no other than Super Junior’s dance machine: Lee Hyukjae a.k.a. Eunhyuk!
 
 
Haha! Koreans and their English xD
 
First chapter! What do you think about it? Sorin is a dancer, just like her brother! It’s a family thing ^^
 
The yelling director and the sweet choreographer are actually the real ones from Fame musical back in 90’s. Don’t think they are really like that; I just made their personalities life that! It isn’t based on anything.
 
Hope you enjoyed reading this first chapter!