Beach

Something's gotta give

Sunny could hear the soothing sound of waves rolling back and forth in the background. The smell of salt and seaweed enveloped her senses and a chill ran through her. She pulled her jacket closer to her, hoping to avoid the cool breeze. She scooted closer toward the bonfire and felt it warm her face and hands. The smell of the burning wood smelled strangely sweet. Sunny watched Sooyoung, who was sitting across from her, happily making herself a snack.

After a little while, Sunny looked around and noticed a folded fleece blanket on the old wooden picnic table nearby, along with all their things. After some debating with herself, she got up and grabbed it. She also moved some of their things off the table, making some space for herself, and sat down.

The sun was just setting in, and the stars were coming out, one by one.

She wrapped the blanket around herself, and snuggled into it's warmth. She smiled, enjoying the scene around her.

Yoona and Yuri were both looking very suspicious. They were probably getting ready to prank someone. She hoped she wasn't their victim. Hyoyeon and Taeyeon were both making sand castles and arguing over whose was better. Seohyun sat next to them, happily watching them.

Sunny noticed Taeyeon's determined face and her hair gently playing in the wind. She felt a warm sensation in her chest. She couldn't explain it, but there was something about Taeyeon that just made her so beautiful. She radiated something that pulled Sunny towards Taeyeon and made her want to hug her tightly. The feeling squeezed at her heart, but it didn't hurt. In fact, it made her happy. Just being around Taeyeon made her happy.

Sunny smiled subconsciously, but quickly froze. It was then that it hit her.

"I'm in love with her."

The realization sunk in coldly and scared her for a moment.

"When?" She wondered.

Sunny tried to think back and pinpoint the moment it had happened, but couldn't come up with any specific moment. Maybe, it's been growing over the years, so slowly that she didn't noticed until now.

She looks up and saw Taeyeon, still very concentrated on her castle.

"Could you be any more obvious?"

Sunny jumped in surprise and turned toward the source. Hyoyeon was now sitting next to her.

"How long have you been here?" She asked, holding her chest and waiting for her heart to go back to a normal pace.

"Not very long," Hyoyeon explained, "But enough to see you give Taeyeon that lovestruck gaze."

"How can you tell?" Sunny asked defensively. "How do you know I'm not just looking at her like a normal friend?"

"It's not that hard. You're eyes are practically twinkling with love. I feel like I might get diabetes just being around you. It's too sweet for my taste." Hyoyeon teased.

"I didn't realize until now..." Sunny muttered. "But the way you talk, it makes me think that you've known for awhile."

Hyoyeon nodded. "If you could see from our perspective..."

Sunny didn't reply and simply looked back toward Taeyeon. Sooyoung was now with Taeyeon, and judging from Sooyoung's body language, she was probably teasing Taeyeon about her height.

"You should tell her." Hyoyeon suggested.

"And if she doesn't feel the same way?" Sunny objected. "I couldn't bare it if things changed."

"And if she does fell the same way as you?" Hyoyeon argued. "You'll never know unless you tell her."

"I'm afraid." Sunny mumbled.

Hyoyeon wrapped an arm around Sunny and pulled her in for a hug.

"I know Sunny, but if you don't even try, you've already lost." Hyoyeon reasoned. "Taeyeon won't always be single."

Sunny knew what Hyoyeon was implying, but she quickly pushed that thought away. She didn't want to think about what was going to happen after tonight.

She felt Hyoyeon nudge her.

"Come on, let's enjoy the rest of today together."

Sunny got up and took a mental snapshot of the group.

Our last night together, before some head in different directions.

----------

Sunny felt uncomfortable and tried to turn over, hoping that changing positions would help relieve it, but instead felt something stop her.

She heard birds singing outside and groaned when she opened her eyes. The light momentarily blinded her.

When her eyes adjusted, she turned her head and realized that one, she was sleeping on the couch in the living room, and two, the object stopping her from changing positions was a sleeping Taeyeon.

Taeyeon had her arms wrapped around her.

Sunny melted into Taeyeon's embrace and closed her eyes, taking in Taeyeon’s sweet vanilla scent.

She tried going back to sleep but failed.

"Hyoyeon was right." Sunny thought bitterly. "I should have told Taeyeon back then. Maybe then things would be different. Maybe…"

Sunny pulled the blanket closer to her and stopped.

"Wait, I don’t remember us having a blanket last night."

She opened her eyes again and looked more closely at the blanket.

She looked toward the front door and noticed that Tiffany’s shoes were gone.

She felt guilt settle into the pit of her stomach.

"Tiffany must have done this. She's been nice to me and here I am doing, I don't know what. This isn’t right."

It was true that she loved Taeyeon, but she wasn’t the kind of person to break up two people. Especially two people as happy as Taeyeon and Tiffany.

She wished that Taeyeon had been hers, that things could be different. But there was no point in thinking about that. She had her chance, and she let it go. Something she deeply regretted, but something she couldn’t change.

"Taeyeon belongs to Tiffany." She reminded herself.

She grabbed Taeyeon’s arm and sadly pried it off her.

“Taeyeon,” she spoke softly. Taeyeon’s eyelids fluttered slightly.

“Taeyeon,” She tried a little louder.

“hmm,” Taeyeon hummed.

“Wake up, Taeyeon.” Sunny muttered.

Taeyeon finally opened her eyes and looked around her.

“Five more minutes,” Taeyeon mumbled as she cuddled with Sunny again and closed her eyes.

Sunny thought about giving into Taeyeon again, but decided it was better to not tempt herself. She pushed Taeyeon gently off her.

“What’s wrong?” Taeyeon ask groggily as she sat up.

“I have to go the the bathroom.” Sunny lied, getting up and walking away.

 


I think this chapter turned out better. The person that I'm going to pair Sunny with will appear in the next chapter.