Jessica and her expressions

Something's gotta give

It was still dark when Jessica's eyes fluttered open. She sat up and grabbed her alarm clock on her nightstand, checking the time.

Four in the morning.

She sighed and put the alarm clock back before letting herself fall back onto her bed. She hoped to fall back to sleep but it was too late; Her mind was awake and uneasy.

"Always this time of the night." She thought. She covered her eyes with her arms as if it would help her fall back to sleep. "You'd think that after all this time, I'd finally let this go."

"The guilt stop eating at me." She sighed and shut her eyes tighter. "I can't rewrite the past. No matter how much I wish I could."

Tired of her thoughts, she pulled out her iPhone, and put her earphones on. "Better to listen to music than have these thoughts go where I'm so tired of going."

"If it was up to me," She thought as she dozed off, "I'd sleep forever and never wake up. At least in my dreams nothing can truly hurt me."

--------------

Rain started to fall heavily as she parked her car in one of the University campus's parking lots.

"Please let me get there before class ends."

She grabbed the umbrella lying on the passenger seat of her car. Once she got out, she quickly opened it and used it to shield herself from the cold rain.

She walked past a few students running out of their classes and to their cars or other buildings, in hope of not getting too wet.

"Dang it, I'm late."

She walked faster.

Taeyeon stood there, huddled under the building's roof. She looked like a lost puppy, unsure of what to do.

"It's just water."

"It's the right thing to do."

"Let go."

"I think it would be easier if we just pretended that it didn't happen."


Jessica woke up again. She groaned and checked the time:

 Nearly seven.

"Are you serious?" She put her earphones on again and waited to fall into the comfortable arms of sleep once again.

Jessica's alarm went off right before she fell asleep. She groaned and turned it off, pulling the warm blanket's closer to her body and burrowing herself into her comfortable bed.

"Maybe they wouldn't notice if I slipped into work a couple minute's late."

Her phone rang but she ignored it, already knowing who it was.

It went to the answering machine after a few rings.

"Jessica Jung Sooyeon, get your lazy out of bed and answer my call before I count to three."

Jessica frowned.

"One."

She contemplated the pro's and con's of ignoring the call.

Pro's: I can sleep and ignore the world more. I like this already.

Con's: She's probably going to keep calling back until I answer, and then I'm going to have to deal with someone being mad with me for the rest of the day.Sounds like something I don't like.


"Two."

She gave in and picked up the phone on her nightstand.

"I'm up." she answered sleepily.

"No you're not." The voice on the other side said.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know i was talking to someone who knows more about what I'm doing than myself." Jessica snapped.

"Don't pull that card on me. I'm your sister. I know you better than you know yourself so get up." Krystal ordered. "As in out of bed not just being awake." She quickly added.

"But..."  Jessica whined. "My bed's so nice and warm and the world is so cold."

"Good. Your kingdom awaits you my ice princess."

Jessica rolled her eyes and slowly got out of bed, regretting it immediately when the cold air wrapped around her and sent chills down her back. "Okay. There. I'm up. Happy?"

"Very," Krystal said monotonously.

"I'm going to hang up now." Jessica walked into to her bathroom. "I'm taking a shower."

"Okay, but I'll call you in 20 minutes. I need to make sure you aren't sleeping in the tub again."

"One time!" Jessica yelled. "One time and you still won't let me live it down." The phone line went dead; Her sister had already hung up. She huffed, annoyed.

----------

After taking her shower, she walked to her kitchen with her phone in hand. She searching through her cabinets, looking for something to eat and finally settled on cereal.

Her phone rang again and she answered it immediately. "The better of the Jung sister's speaking."

"Haha." Krystal laughed sarcastically. "How is the princess feeling today?"

"Same as usual." Jessica poured her cereal into a bowl. "So not very good."

"I told you to not open that box." Krystal said.

"My cereal?" Jessica stopped pouring. "Is something wrong with it?"

"The box, Jessica. The box." Krystal repeated, emphasized "The" this time.

Jessica paused for a moment. "Honestly, I think it was for the better." She began eating her cereal.

"How?" Krystal asked her skeptically.

"It's like something changed in me Krys." Jessica tried to explain . "I don't know. I can't explain it."

"Is Jessica actually opening up to me?" Krystal joked. "Oh my. This is a miracle."

"Shut up."

"No, but this is good. You haven't opened up in a long time." Krystal said more seriously. " All this because of the box?"

"Not entirely. All these things that have been happening lately." Jessica said vaguely. "And..." Jessica trailed off, unsure if she should share with her sister.

"And?" Krystal asked curious.

"I met this girl at a bar." Jessica said after a moment of internally debating. "And she said some things."

"What things?" Krystal asked.

"I don't know. A lot of things that made sense."

"Like?"

"I need to move on."

"That's what I've been telling you the same thing for the longest time!" Krystal yelled, obviously hurt. Jessica imagined her sister pouting right now. "And a random girl that you met at a bar manages to convince you in one conversation?"

"It's not like that Krystal." Jessica quickly defended, trying to calm her sister down. "Maybe it's finally happening. I think I'm finally ready."

Krystal sighed. "I guess it doesn't matter who managed to talk some sense into you, as long as you got the message."

"Wait until you hear what I have to say next." Jessica got up and put her empty bowl in the sink before going into the living room. She sat down on her couch.

"What?" Krystal asked, in a voice that suggested that she didn't expect much.

"I'm socializing again." Jessica said excitedly, expecting her sister to freak out over her revelation. A pause followed.

"Jessica, shopping Monday's with Tiffany and work don't really count as socializing. Not to me anyway." Krystal finally said.

"No, I mean it." Jessica asserted. "Like I'm trying to make friends again. Other than than Tiffany." Jessica quickly added.

"Really!?" Krystal asked her, genuinely surprised this time.

"Yep, I invited my neighbor to hang out with me today."

"Your neighbor? Well, it's a start."

"Be quiet. You should be cheering me on." Jessica said indignantly.

"Oh, sorry." Krystal said sarcastically. "You go sister!"

"Much better." Jessica grinned.

"Hey, don't you have work today?" Krystal said suddenly.

"work?"

Jessica looked at the time and sat up very quickly.

"It totally slipped my mind!"

 "I'm going to be late. I've got to go baby Jung. I'll talk to you tomorrow." Jessica hung up before her sister could say anything else.

She quickly got ready and headed out.

-----------------

Later that night:

Sunny knocked on Jessica's door and waited patiently. After a minute or so, Jessica opened her door.

"Hi," Sunny greeted cheerfully.

"Hey," Jessica smiled and moved aside. "come in."

"Thanks." She walked in and Jessica closed her door. "So what are we going to do?" She turned to a sheepish Jessica, who had obviously not planned anything.

"I don't know." Jessica rubbing her arm, slightly embarrassed. "I was hoping you'd have some suggestion?"

Sunny laughed at Jessica's honesty.

"Maybe we could go watch a movie?" Sunny suggested after a moment of thought.

"Sure," Jessica agreed. "Let me just grab a few things. Wait for me?"

Sunny nodded and Jessica quickly disappeared into to her room.

She sat down on the couch and looked around again. I wonder if this is going to become a habit."

She smiled internally when she saw the key-chain that Jessica had lost, on the coffee table.

"Okay," Jessica walked out of her room. "Let's go."

-----------------

"Can you driving us again?" Jessica asked her once they reached the apartment parking lots.

"Sure." Sunny agreed and unlocked her car. Jessica and her got in.

"Don't you have a car?" Sunny asked her, curious, as she buckled her seat-belt.

"I do." Jessica said and looked out the passenger window. "I just don't like it."

"Why not?"  Sunny asked and her car.

"Bad memories." Jessica sighed and nervously played with her seat-belt.

Sunny noticed Jessica getting uncomfortable and changed the subject. "Which theater do you think we should go to?"

"There's this movie theater a couple blocks from here." Jessica pointed in the general direction. "We could go there."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Sunny started the car.

-----------------

At the movie theater:

Jessica tapped Sunny's shoulder. "I don't really care what movie we watch, so you pick the movie while I buy the snacks?" She pointed to the snack counter. "Okay with you?"

Sunny nodded and Jessica left.

-----------------

"What movie are we watching?" Jessica asked Sunny as she joined her again, snacks in hand.

"My Sassy Girl." Sunny said happily and took the popcorn. "It's one of my favorite movies."

"My Sassy Girl?" Jessica frowned. "You sure?"

"Yes." Sunny looked at Jessica confused. "Don't you like it? I thought you said you were fine with any movie?"

"I am! The movie sounds good." Jessica quickly changed her frown into a smile, after feeling guilty. "Which theater is it showing in?"

"Theater 9." Sunny grabbed Jessica's hand and led her to the doors of theater 9.

--------------------

Sunny tried to stifle her laughter. It wasn't hard because even if she did laugh, everyone around her was laughing, but for difference reasons. while everyone else was laughing because of the movie, she was laughing at Jessica's reactions.

Every time she turned to look at Jessica she'd find her with a new expression. During the funny scenes, Jessica would get a big grin on her face. During the part where the main character's were being held hostage by the runaway soldier, Jessica held onto her drink tightly and bit her lips nervously. At one point, Sunny thought she heard sniveling and turned to find Jessica with tears running down her face.

"Are you okay?" Sunny whispered to Jessica, concerned.

"Y-yeah." Jessica's quickly changed her expression and wiped the tears off her face. "I-it's just that," She looked around the dark theater room. "The kid next me smells. That's why my eyes are watering. I'm totally not crying."

"I do not!" The small boy sitting next to Jessica glared at her. "You're just a cry baby."

"Be quiet, this is a movie." Jessica whispered loudly to him. Someone in the back shushed them both.

"Crybaby." The boy whispered more softly back to her. She glared at him. He quickly went back to watching the movie.

"Stop picking fights with little kids." Sunny nudged Jessica.

----------------

Sunny finally burst into laughter when they left the movie theater.

"What?" Jessica asked her curiously.

"For a girl who didn't want to watch the movie, you sure did get into it." Sunny teased.

Jessica's cheeks grew pink. "I told you that the kid smelled. That's all."

"Sure." Sunny snickered. "Whatever you say."

Jessica grew even more pink.

-----------------

Sunny laughed for the rest of the week when Jessica came to mind.

"What's so funny?" Taeyeon asked Sunny when she snickered during dinner.

"It's nothing." Sunny quickly composed herself and waved the issue away.

"Okay..." Taeyeon gave her a quizzical look before turning to an equally confused Tiffany.

 


 

I've been trying to update for the last two days, but everytime I try, something get's in the way. Parents, work, computer problems, work, godzilla, work...

Excuse me, I need to sleep. It's been a very long day. I'll do my other update after a few hours. Hopefully... unless something else manages to get in the way again. (Did I ever tell you about that time I tried to update but AFF was down? Oh yeah, that was today. See what I mean?)