Key-chain

Something's gotta give

It was a brisk early morning and the city was already bustling with life.

On the third floor, Sunny could be seen walking out of the apartment. She closed the door softly behind her. She was heading out for a job interview.

Both Taeyeon and Tiffany had already left for work earlier.

She surveyed the apartment complex as she walked down the stairs. As she walked down, she noticed that the apartment’s courtyard had a garden. It was adorned with flowers of all colors. There were red flowers, blue flowers, pink flowers, white flowers, and so on. The whole scene was very beautiful. She made a mental note to appreciate its full beauty more closely when she had time.

Sunny reached the first floor and walked toward her car. She searched her pockets for her car key and stopped. She face-palmed herself when she realized she left them back in her room.

She turned around, ready to dash back upstairs to get her keys, when she walked face-first into something very soft. She took a step back and realized she had knocked someone down.

Before Sunny could react, the girl huffed angrily and got up. She fixed her orange-red hair and brushed dust off of her outfit. When she finally finished, she looked up, giving Sunny a full view of her face. She had delicate feminine facial features, and could have passed off as an angel if it wasn't for the icy glare she was shooting Sunny.

"S-sorry," Sunny stuttered.

The girl rolled her eyes, and walked past her without saying a word. A shiver ran up Sunny's spine, and it wasn't caused by the cold weather.

She watched the girl walk away. When she was out of sight, she remembered the reason she had run into the girl and continued on her way to get her keys.

As Sunny drove to her interview that day, she reran the incident in her head. That was the iciest glare she had ever encountered. She really hoped she wouldn't meet that girl again.

----------

Sunny returned from her interview in a good mood. It had gone well and she believed she had a good possibility of getting the job. The incident with the girl had completely slipped her mind.

She walked into the apartment.

"Sunny!" Taeyeon greeted her with a hug. She wore a cute, pink apron.

Sunny couldn't help but blush at the scene.

"She looks like a housewife waiting for her husband to come home."

She heard the door open again. Tiffany walked in.

"Right, if somone were to be her husband, it would be Tiffany, not me."

Taeyeon let go of Sunny and went to hug Tiffany as well.

"Welcome home, Fany!"

Sunny awkwardly excused herself and went into her room.

----------

Next day:

Sunny tried desperately to find something to distract herself with. For a while she tried to fixing her room, but ended up giving up halfway through. After that, she moved on to channel surfing, hoping to find something interesting to watch, but eventually grew tired of that too. She got up and went to the kitchen. She sighed when she checked the fridge and found nothing that caught her attention.

When she caught herself examining the cracks and crevices of the place, desperate enough for entertainment, she remembered the garden she had promised herself to check out. She smiled and walked out of the apartment, ready to explore.

Her smile faltered. Sleeping besides the neighbors front door, was no other than the girl who she had knocked over the day before.

Sunny stiffened and slowly backed away towards the stairs. Sure, she wondered what she was doing there, but she wasn't about to find out.

When she was finally got to her destination, she let out a sigh, relieved to have some distance between that girl and her.

----------

The sun was now fully in the sky and warming up everything its rays touched, including her skin, as she walked around the garden. She looked at all the pretty flowers and inhaled their sweet aroma. Smiling, she watched a butterfly pass by the garden and glide toward the stairs.

The reflection of something shiny caught her eye. It was it the same general area where she had met that girl. She walked toward it and picked it up. It was a small pink key-chain. A name was inscribed into it.

"Jessica," Sunny read.

Sunny put two and two together.

"I wonder if it belongs to that girl."

She debated with herself whether she should turn it into the front office and hope the owner would pick it up later, or ask girl if it was hers first.

Even though she didn't want to, she went up to ask the girl. She hoped it wouldn't hurt much.

"Hey, " Sunny said awkwardly as she reached the third floor, and walked toward the girl, "is this-"

She stopped when she found the girl still sleeping.

"How can she sleep so comfortably out here?"

"Hey," Sunny tried more loudly. The girl stayed sleeping.

"Should I even try to wake her up? What if it isn't hers and I make even more mad?"

Sunny, never one to wimp out, knelt down and tapped the girl's shoulder. The girl continued to sleep.

"She's not dead, is she?"

Sunny panicked and quickly checked the girl. She calmed down when she saw the girl's chest softly rise and fall.

"Ok, so she's breathing."

Sunny tried to shake the girl softly, and failed again. She grew irritated and shook her more violently.

"mmm,"

Sunny thought she heard the girl grumble. She put the the key-chain on the ground, and shook the girl again.

"Hey, is this yours?" She asked.

"Five more minutes mom." The girl mumbled in English.

"Wake up you bum," Sunny shook the girl harder. She grew more determined to wake her up, when her attempts didn't work.

"Shut up Krystal." The girl replied sleepily, still in English. She swatted Sunny hands away, and turned over.

"I don't feel like getting up today," The girl mumbled. She went back to sleep.

"What?"

"Wow, you're impossible." Sunny got up and walked away.

She stopped and smiled mischievously. She grabbed a nearby metal pail.

"Earthquake!" She yelled and banged the pail besides the girl's ear.

The girl screamed, startled, and bolted up, looking desperately around the place.

Sunny scrunched her face in pain and covered her ears.

"I think I've gone deaf. Is she trying to call dolphins to her rescue?"

The girl blinked, realizing what Sunny had done, and glared imaginary daggers in her direction.

"You!" She yelled.

Sunny's eyes widened.

"Oh, oh..."

The girl narrowed her eyes and started walking toward her.

She stopped when she stepped on something and looked down. She lifted her foot and picked up an object.

"My keys," she spoke quietly to herself. She looked at Sunny again, and finally spoke Korean. "Did you take them?"

"N-no," Sunny stuttered. Ok, scratch that, she wasn't one to whimp out much. But a mad Jessica might just become an exception.

"Then how did they end up here? And how did you know they were mine. I didn't have them yesterday night." She accused.

"I found them," Sunny defended herself. "I thought they were yours but I wasn't sure. That's why I came to ask you."

"Oh yeah?" The girl asked, not believing Sunny.

"Yeah, they were by the place where... that happened..." Sunny explained, trying to avoid directly speaking about the incident yesterday. She didn't want to make her even more mad by reminding her. "I thought maybe you dropped them when, we, you know..."

"You mean when you were a clumsy ape and knocked me over?" She said bluntly.

"I apologized!" Sunny defended herself, "And I'm brought you your keys."

She huffed in frustration.

"Why is she so mean? I'm trying to be nice here and she's accusing me?"

"Is this how you thank people? Maybe I shouldn't have helped you at all." Sunny muttered and turned, walking away angrily.

"Hey!"

Sunny heard the girl call out to her.

She turned around and faced the girl again.

The girl walked toward Sunny.

"Imsorry." She muttered very quietly.

"What?" Sunny asked, not catching what the girl said.

"I said I'm sorry." The girl said, more loudly.

Sunny froze, shocked by the girl's sudden change of attitude. She didn't seem like the kind of girl to apologize.

An awkward silence settled in.

The girl looked her up and down, before making eye contact. Sunny shift her weight uncomfortably. They quickly looked away and looked at everything but each other. Sunny had to admit that she was kind of pretty when she wasn't mad or trying to kill her.

"So do you forgive me?" The girl questioned, interrupting Sunny's thoughts.

"S-sure." Sunny stuttered.

"Good...I'm Jessica by the way." Jessica replied, still avoiding catching Sunny's gaze again.

"I'm Sunny," Sunny tried.

Another awkward silence followed.

"So, I'm going inside now." Jessica finally broke the silence, pointing to her door. She pulled out the key-chain Sunny gave her and used it to open the door.

"Y-yeah, I, ugh, think I'm going to head in too." Sunny replied dumbly. She opened the door to Taeyeon and Tiffany's place.

Jessica stopped and looked at her.

"You live there?"

Sunny stopped too.

"For a bit." Sunny explained. "I just moved to this city, and I'm staying with my friend for a bit."

"The midget?" Jessica questioned her.

"What?" Sunny asked slightly indignant. She was short, so that word was a bit offensive.

Jessica caught on.

"Oh no, not you. You're cute short. I'm talking about you're friend, Taey...Taeya... Taeyeon."

Sunny nodded.

"Did she just call me cute? Wasn't she trying to kill me just a few minutes ago?"

"I know them. Tiffany's my friend." Jessica explained.

"Really?" Sunny asked.

"Yeah. We go shopping every Monday. Maybe you'll see me when I go see her next Monday." Jessica explained. " Are they home?"

"No, they went out for a date yesterday." Sunny grinned sadly. "They haven't come home yet, so I'm guessing, you know..."

Jessica raised one of her carefully plucked eyebrows.

"No." Jessica answered confused.

"Hotel..." Sunny suggested.

"Oh," Jessica replied, caught off guard. She smiled awkwardly.

She stopped when she noticed Sunny's face fall.

"Are you okay?" She asked worriedly.

"Uhuh," Sunny looked up with a fake smile, "it's just my stomach hurts a bit. I think I'm going to go inside and lie down. Bye Jessica."

And with that, Sunny disappeared.

Jessica looked at the door Sunny had closed, puzzled.

"Okay, something is definitely going on with that girl."

She shrugged and walked into her own place, glad that she wasn't locked out of her place anymore.

"Bed, here I come."

 




Sorry I didn't update yesterday, but look, this chapter is slightly longer. So I'm forgiven, right? I even listened to you guys. Sunsica ftw! Idk... I'm just rambling now. I hope you guys like this.