Not A Date

Something's gotta give


Sunny now sat more calmly on the couch. She admired Jessica's place while Jessica finished getting ready.

She noted that Jessica's place was very nicely decorated. It was simple, chic, neat, and organized, with the exception of a couple of books and magazines on the coffee table. It made her slightly self-conscious about her own room.

I'll clean it tomorrow, promise.

She picked up one of the magazines on coffee table and browsed through it.

"I'm ready." Jessica announced, walking into the living room.

Sunny put the book back down.

"Okay, let's go."She stood up.

They walked out of apartment complex.

"You're driving, right?" Jessica asked, as they reached the parking lot.

"Sure," Sunny opened the passenger door for Jessica.

----------

They chose a coffee-shop downtown.

"Why did you help me?" Sunny voiced out her wonder, once they had ordered and settled down on a table by a window. She had been wondering since this morning.

"You helped me." Jessica replied simply.

"How?"

"My keys." Jessica explained, "I owed you one."

They sipped their drinks in silence.

"I've got a question for you." Jessica broke that silence.

"What?" Sunny asked absentmindedly. She was watching a couple walk into the shop.

"Do you like that midget?"

Sunny was caught off guard and choked on her drink.

"W-what make-makes y-you think t-that?" Sunny coughed out. The couple that Sunny was watching glanced at them as they walked past their table.

We barely know each other and I've barely even mentioned Taeyeon. How would she-?

"I'm pretty good at reading people." Jessica interrupted her thoughts and offered her a napkin.

Sunny was lost for words.

"You still haven't answered my question, but you don't have to anymore." Jessica observed. "Your reaction confirms my suspicions. If you didn't like her, you wouldn't have reacted like that."

An awkward silence followed.

"How?" Sunny frowning. There wasn't any point in denying it. "I've barely even mentioned her?"

"When she walked into my place earlier today. The way you looked at her. It was kind of obvious." Jessica explained.

The way I look at her... Hyoyeon said the same thing... Am I that obvious? Does everyone know?

"Don't worry. I don't think everyone knows. Just me, probably... like I said, I'm good at reading people." Jessica assured her.

Seriously, is she a mind reader?

Jessica laughed.

This is a nice change. A laughing Jessica is much better than an angry one.

"You're face." Jessica gestured to Sunny's face.

"What?" Sunny touched her face, puzzled.

"You don't have to tell me anything because your face say's it all. That's how I know."

----------

"Do you want to do something else? I think it's still too early to go home." She asked Sunny after checking the time.

"We could walking around the park." Sunny pointed to the park across the street.

"Sure." Jessica agreed and followed Sunny.

"Why do you like that midget anyway?" Jessica continued to questioned Sunny as they crossed the street.

"I don't know." Sunny shrugged. "It just kind of happened."

Jessica found a comfortable park bench and sat down. She patted the seat beside her, gesturing for Sunny to sit down next to her. Sunny obeyed.

"We grew up together so..." Sunny trailed off.

Jessica nodded. They watched the clouds pass by in silence for a few minutes.

"Why do you call her that?" Sunny asked Jessica.

"I don't know." Jessica frowned. "Habit I guess."

"I think she's scared of you." Sunny turned to Jessica.

"Good." Jessica smirked.

"Do you not like her?" *Sunny continued, turning her attention to some dandelions growing nearby.

"She's okay, I guess..." Jessica muttered still watching the clouds. "I'm just not a big fan of her."

"Why, did she do something to you?" Sunny got up and knelt down on the ground by the dandelions.

Jessica either did not hear her question or ignored it. Sunny pick a few dandelions before she tried another question.

"That morning," She stood back up. "Why were you so angry? It couldn't have all been my fault."

"It was just a bad morning." Jessica murmured. She finally turned her attention to Sunny, who was again sitting besides her making something with the dandelions. "You were just the last straw, and got all the backlash. Sorry."

"And being locked out that night probably made it worst, huh?" Sunny teased playfully.

"I can't say it made it better." Jessica smiled, playing along.

"I'm sorry you had a bad morning." Sunny sympathized.

She finished what she was doing and idea came into her mind. She hoped Jessica wouldn't mind. She put a dandelion crown on Jessica's hair.

Jessica froze when she felt Sunny put it on her hair but soon relaxed, understanding the gesture.

"Why didn't you just go back down and look for your keys?" Sunny asked, fixing a few lose dandelions.

"I tried, but it was to dark to see anything." Jessica explained. "I also tried going in through my window, but I couldn't open it. I locked it from the inside because I didn't want anyone to come and rob me. That kind of backfired on me..."

"And you didn't just go and stay somewhere else for the night?" Sunny finished fixing Jessica's hair.

"Like?" Jessica frowned.

"A hotel?"

"You do know what most of their customers do on those beds, don't you?" Jessica replied with disgust written on her face. "No thank you. I'd rather sleep outside. But I think it should be my turn to ask you questions." Jessica stood up.

"Okay, what do you want to know?" Sunny followed suit.

"Why did you move here?" Jessica questioned as they walked aimlessly. "Was it for her?"

"For Taeyeon? No..." Sunny hesitated, before answering more honestly. "A bit... but I just needed to start anew, away from my family."

"What's wrong with your family?" Jessica stopped.

"Nothing," Sunny quickly replied, before she continued more calmly. "But I just wanted to do thing's on my own, without their help."

"I'm a little confused." Jessica started walking again.

"My uncle founded this famous music company and my dad is the chairman of this big company." Sunny explained. "So my family is kind of... rich."

"Then why are you living with the midg-," Jessica stopped mid-sentence and corrected herself, "-Taeyeon, if you have so much money."

"Because I'm don't want to depend on them. I want to earn my own money, not live off of theirs." Sunny stated.

"That's kind of strange." Jessica muttered. "There are a lot of people who would love to have all that money, and it's handed over to you, but you turn it away?"

Sunny nodded smiling. "Yep, I don't want things in life to be handed to me. I want to actually earn it. Besides, like I said, it's my families money, not mine."

"One day it'll be yours." Jessica countered.

"But by then, I'll be successful and feel more worthy of it."

Jessica stopped and looked around, realized how far they had walked. It was starting to get dark. Sunny noticed the time too.

"We should head back now." Sunny suggested.

They walked slowly back the way they had come.

"You're not planning to try anything with Taeyeon, right?" Jessica turned to her suspiciously, changing the subject. "Because Tiffany's my best friend you know."

"No!" Sunny quickly defended herself. She looked down at the ground gloomily. "I gave up on her. Or, at least I'm trying. It's just hard when I live with her and she keeps trying to do all these things with me. It's like someone offering you cake when you're on a diet. It's not easy to turn down. I just need to stay away from her for a while until I get over her. Maybe when I get a job, I can move to a different place and put some distance between us."

"You could always use your families money to get you a nice apartment, you know." Jessica teased.

"Not going to happen." Sunny dismissed stubbornly.

Silence followed suit.

"It must hurt a lot." Jessica broke in after a minute or two. "Seeing them together..."

Sunny nodded sadly.

"How do you know Tiffany?" Sunny changed the subject.

"I bumped into her, kind of like you and I did, but she was a lot nicer about it." Jessica smiled."We talked and found out all these little coincidences."

"Like?" Sunny asked, curious to know. Tiffany was peppy, happy, and sweet. Jessica was... Jessica.

What could they have in common?

"Like how we were both from California, I from San Francisco, and her from Los Angeles. Or how we were born in the same hospital." Jessica smirked knowing what Sunny was thinking.

They reached a corner and waited for the okay sign for them to cross.

"It's so hard to wake you up you know?" Sunny remembered their own encounters.

"Yeah, Tiffany says I'm the resident sleepy head of our block." Jessica said as they crossed the street.

"You must have a lot of alarm clocks." Sunny observed.

"Huh?" Jessica looked at Sunny confused.

"So that one of them will hopefully succeed in waking you up." Sunny poked Jessica's stomach jokingly. "I shook you and you were still sleeping, and I wasn't doing it lightly either."

"There is a way to wake me up, you know..." Jessica humored, ignoring Sunny's poke.

"What?"

"Make me laugh."

"What?" Sunny uttered, believing she had misheard.

"Make me laugh." Jessica spoke more loudly, grinning.

"Really, that's all it takes?" Sunny asked dumbfounded.

Jessica nodded.

----------

As they reached Sunny's car, a guy who smelled heavily of alcohol walked up to Jessica.

"Hey baby, there's a hotel down the street, what do you say you and I-"

"Ew, no." Jessica cut off the guy before he could finish. She grabbed Sunny's arm and pulled her toward the car.

"Hey!"

He called after them.

Jessica ignored him.

They had almost reached Sunny's car when a hand grabbed Sunny's.

"You're friend isn't very fun, but you are, right? Would you like to join me?" He smiled  ertedly.

"No." Sunny jerking her arm from his grasp.

"Of course you do. All girls' do, they just won't admit it." He grabbed Sunny's arm more roughly this time, and started dragging her along.

"Let go!" Sunny yelled.

The guy ignored her and kept walking.

Jessica searched her pockets for her cellphone to call the police when she heard a hard smacking sound.

She looked up and saw the guy on the ground, knocked out.

"Ow," Sunny shook her hand, trying to shake off some of the stinging.

"Did you just...Is he... Is passed out...?!" Jessica trailed off, shocked.

Sunny hugged her hand.

"You punch him that hard?!" Jessica asked in surprise.

"I didn't think it'd hurt so much." " Sunny continued to hug her hand, as they walked back to the car. "How hard is his face?"

----------

"Thank you again for helping me out, you probably had something else to do." Sunny thanked Jessica as they walked up to their apartments.

"It's fine. At least I can get Fany off my back about "dating" for a while.".

Sunny stopped.

"Not that we were." Jessica clarified. "Just that she thinks we were out on a date."

"Yep, this wasn't a date." Sunny maintained.

"No, not a date." Jessica echoed.

They reached their doors.

"I guess I'll see you around," Sunny said her goodbyes and walked in to her place.

"Yeah, I'm sure we will." Jessica walked into her place as well. "We always do, one way or another."

----------

A few hours later:

The guy woke up and looked around, finding himself lying down on the sidewalk. He clutched his head, feeling the worst headache of his life.

A few guys walked past him, snickering. He quickly got up and walked away in embarrassment. He was a full grown man but he had just been beaten up by a 5 foot something girl.

 


Wow, this story is taking more out of me than I thought. Please have pacience with me, okay? I'm trying my best.

I also have a question. Is there anything I could do to make this story better? Anything you are confused about, that doesn't seem to make sense? Let me know so I can improve. Otherwise, I feel like I'm letting you guys down.

And again, thank you all who are giving this story a chance.