What does a relationship/love mean to Jessica?

Something's gotta give

A few weeks later:

Sunny walked tiredly to her place one evening after work. But all her tiredness disappeared when she walked past Jessica's place and smelled something burning. She stopped in her tracks and walked back. A small amount of smoke fumed out from under the door.

Sunny barged into Jessica's place without thinking.

The fire alarm was blaring and the smoke clouded the living room, making it hard for Sunny to see. She coughed when she breathed it in.

"Jessica!" Sunny yelled. "Where are you? Are you okay?"

"In here!" Jessica called out from the kitchen.

Sunny immediately ran to Jessica and calmed down a little when she saw the cause of the smoke. "You're going to burn the building down!"

"I don't know what happened." Jessica stepped back from the stove.

"Open the windows.” Sunny ordered as she quickly took over, turning off the stove and moving the pots. Jessica did what she was told.

Once the kitchen was under control, Sunny calmed down and turned to find a worried Jessica. "I don't even know how you managed to do that. You have talent Jessica."

"Making fun of me again?" Jessica crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow.

"A little." Sunny did the "little" gesture with her hand.

"It's okay." Jessica sighed and walked to her couch glumly, slumping down on it. "I deserve it."

“What?” Sunny stopped. “This isn’t like Jessica…”

"Hey," Sunny quickly joined Jessica, worried. "What's wrong?"

Jessica lied down and buried her face into one of her throw pillows. Her shoulders began to shake.

"Jessica?" Sunny asked deeply concerned when she saw Jessica crying. "What happened?"

Jessica continued to cry.

"Did someone do something to you?" Sunny stood up, ready to beat some sense into the idiot who dared to make Jessica cry.

"My fault..." Jessica whispered softly, her voice cracked.

"What is?" Sunny sat back down. She gave up when she realized Jessica wasn't going to say anymore, so she began rubbing Jessica's back, trying to comfort her in some way.

--------

"Is everything okay here?" Tiffany ran into Jessica's apartment, not bothering to knock. She clutched her chest and gasped for breath. "Taeyeon and I were coming back from our date and we saw smoke coming out of your place! I ran up here as fast as I could and-"

"Everything's good now." Sunny held her hand up to quiet Tiffany down. "But something's wrong with Jessica." She mouthed, and gestured to a now sleeping Jessica, who still had her face buried in the pillow. She had fallen asleep sometime while she was crying.

She got up slowly and carefully, not wanting to wake her up. She looked up to find a very concerned Tiffany. "Do you know what's wrong?"

Tiffany walked quietly to Jessica and knelt down next to the sofa. She fixed Jessica's disheveled hair.

"There's some blanket's in that closet over there." Tiffany pointed to a closet in the hall. "Could you bring me one?"

Sunny obeyed Tiffany and walked to said closet. She opened it and looked through it until she found a blanket that looked soft and warm.

"Here." Tiffany held out her hand once Sunny joined her again. She waiting for Sunny to give her the blanket.

"It's okay. I'll do it." Sunny unfolded the blanket and gently placed it on Jessica.

"Jessi..." Tiffany sighed.

"Tiffany, what happened? You left without saying anything." Taeyeon walked in. "You got a look of worry on your face and took off. Is everything okay?"

"I'm sorry." Tiffany got up and joined Taeyeon, holding her hand tightly when she reached her. "I though something happened to Jessica." She nodded in Jessica direction. "But Sunny says everything's okay now."

Jessica stirred and Sunny and Tiffany immediately crowded around Jessica.

"Please leave." Jessica muttered sleepily.

They didn’t bother to put up a fight with Jessica in that state and began shuffling out.

"Not you Sunny."

Taeyeon and Tiffany left and Sunny closed the door behind her. She joined Jessica on the couch again.

"Could you rub my back again?" Jessica asked her sleepily.

"Okay." Sunny smiled comfortingly. She began rubbing Jessica's back gently again, until Jessica went back to sleep.

--------

Sunny's cell-phone buzzed and woke her up.

"When did I fall asleep?" Sunny wondered as she pulled out her cellphone from her pocket. "And in this position? My neck is going to hurt tomorrow."

She checked her cell-phone and checked it.



New message from Taeyeon, 5:20pm:

Are you going to join us for dinner tonight?



"Good question." Sunny wondered. "Should I leave?" She looked at Jessica, concerned.

She was about to text Taeyeon and tell her she'd pass, when her phone buzzed again.



New message from Taeyeon, 5:24pm:

I have something important to announce.



Sunny frowned and wrote Taeyeon a message back:

Can Jessica join us?



She waited a couple of minutes. Finally she received another text.



New message from Taeyeon, 5:29pm:

Okay.



"Okay?" Sunny repeated in her head. "It took you a few minutes to text me an "okay"?" She brushed it aside and decided to wake up Jessica.

"Hey, Jessica." Sunny shook Jessica gently, before she remembered what Jessica had told her.

Sunny tried to think of something funny. "Do you remember the part of the movie where Gyeon-woo goes on a date with a girl who turns out to be a man?"

Jessica laughed weakly and opened her eyes.

“Feeling better?” Sunny asked.

Jessica nodded.

"Would you like to have dinner with us?" Sunny gestured next door. Jessica opened , ready to reject the offer but Sunny stopped her. "And before you say no, I'd like to remind you that your kitchen is a mess because of earlier, so..."

Jessica hesitated.

"Fine."

---------

"Not right now, Tae." Tiffany whispered to Taeyeon.

Sunny and Jessica shared a look. Taeyeon and Tiffany had been whisper arguing since dinner began and weren't being very good at being inconspicuous.

"News like this should cheer everyone up. Why don‘t you want me to share it?” Taeyeon whispered back.

"Tae-" Tiffany tried.

"What will?" Sunny asked, finally interrupting Taeny's little argument.

Taeyeon fixed her clothing before she stood up. "I asked Tiffany to marry me!" She announced excitedly.

Sunny dropped her spoon. Jessica simply stopped eating.

Jessica raised an eyebrow and looked at Tiffany directly. "What did you say?"

"Yes," Tiffany answered nervously.

"C-congratulations." Sunny cheered, pulling Jessica's attention back to her. She smiled but Jessica could tell it was forced.

"Yeah, congrats." Jessica said unexcited. She went back to eating her food as if her friend getting engaged wasn't worth getting more excited about.

Under the table, Jessica slowly s her hand onto Sunny's hand and squeezed it, trying to comfort Sunny, like Sunny had her earlier.

-------------

Sunny and Jessica sat by the poolside, soaking their feet in the apartment pools.

Jessica had invited Sunny to go outside, thinking it was best to get Sunny away from Taeny for awhile. Taeny were so wrapped up in their own world, they didn't notice when Sunny and Jessica slipped out.

"Love .” Sunny kicked the water gloomily. “It only leaves you with a broken heart."

"Tell me about it." Jessica lied back on the warm ground, thanks to the setting sun's warm rays. She shielded her eyes from the sunlight with her arm.

"What do you know about relationships?" Sunny turned to Jessica, suddenly realizing she knew very little about Jessica's love life.

"More than you think." Jessica muttered and opened her eyes. She found Sunny looking at her curiously. "I've been in a lot of dates, okay? Thanks to Tiffany and her bad match making skills." She gave up trying to shield her eyes with her arm alone and reached for her sunglasses. She put them on and sighed, more comfortable now. "I hope I'm never unfortunate enough to become one of those ers who end up losing their heads like those two."

"I think it'd be nice," Sunny looked at the water and sighed. "If both sides reciprocated."

"Have fun becoming one of those poor lost souls." Jessica waved her hand lazily before she rested it up besides her head. Sunny paid little attention to her, still looking down at the water, obviously deep in her own little world.

Jessica closed her eyes and her breathing soon grew deep. Very light snoring followed suit.

"Come on." Sunny suddenly grabbed Jessica's thigh and shook it. The sudden contact jolted Jessica back awake. "Don't tell me you've never wondered what it's like to be in a relationship with someone who loves you as much as you love them."

"Blown out of proportion." Jessica lifter her sunglasses and rubbed her eyes before she put them back on again. "I'll stick to reading my books and sleeping while everyone else cries over some petty drama with their boyfriend or girlfriend."

"You're not very fun."

"If I had a dime for every time someone told me that..." Jessica slowly sat back up.

She kicked her feet in the water and looked around. The pool was nearly empty, except for them. A comfortable atmosphere settled in.

"But really." Sunny said very seriously, pulling Jessica's attention back to her. "No joking around. What do you think it's like?"

"Being in a relationship or love?" Jessica sighed. "Because you can have one without the other."

"Both."

"A happy and healthy relationship..." Jessica looked up to the darkening sky and collected her thoughts. After a few minutes she finally spoke carefully. "Not like people say it's suppose to be; Where it's always rainbows and butterflies, and nothing bad ever happens... I don't think that exists in real life."

"It'd be more like, you two have fights but you can still expect them to be besides you. Those fights wouldn't suddenly make them stop loving you. They're willing to forgive you when you make a mistake because you both understand that you're human, and they can expect the same from you when they mess up."

"Though your good days, when everything is going good for you, they'd be laughing and enjoying them with you. And, on your worst of days when your grumpy and hurt, they'd give you their hand and put up with you, instead of disappearing."

Jessica paused again and bit her lip. "I think love is harder to explain. I imagine love is what's left when you remove first impressions and physical attraction. The concern for someone's well being over your own?" Jessica looked at Sunny. "I don't know. I can't explain it... Do you sort of understand what I'm trying to saying?"

Sunny nodded. "I think I do."

"Good," Jessica sighed relieved, "Because I don't know what I would have said if you had said no."

"Want me to be completely honest with you?" Sunny said out of the blue.

"What?"

"I thought the news of Taeyeon and Tiffany getting married would hurt more." Sunny admitted. "It does hurt a lot, but it's not unbearable."

Jessica contemplated for a moment. "Maybe you didn't love Taeyeon as much as you thought you did."

"No." Sunny sighed. "It's just that I want Taeyeon to be happy. And if it's not me who makes her happy, who am stop her, right?"

"Sunny..." Jessica pinched the the bridge of her nose. She sighed. "Sometimes..."

"Sometimes...?" Sunny asked.

"Just... Come here." Jessica hugged Sunny before quickly letting go.

Sunny sat shocked. "What was that for?"

"Thank you for earlier today.” Jessica stood up. “And not bringing it up."

“You seemed like you didn’t want to talk about it.”

-------------

"Why don't you stay at my place tonight." Jessica said seriously as they walked back upstairs and reached her place.

"Why?" Sunny asked.

"I don't think it'd be a good idea to stay there tonight." Jessica gestured next door. "They just got engaged..."

"Oh." Sunny widened her eyes. "I have got to start looking for my own place."

"Is that a yes?" Jessica opened her door.

Sunny nodded and Jessica let her in.

Taeny never noticed that Sunny wasn't home.

-------------

Jessica lay in bed thinking.

"This is it. Before I could hope that maybe... But now...It's really over."

“And Sunny? What did she do to deserve this? I know what I did and why I got what I got, but Sunny... She's never hurt anyone. And she get's this... How can she just... be so nice about it? About everything?"

""Sunny" really fits her... warm and bright. Yoona, I'll listen to your advice, because we need it more than ever now.”

 


 

A/n: I know... I'm late by like a day or two, depending on where you live. I didn't expect to get sick. (I lost my voice and I feel so so tired.)  Sad day :( But I'm still using as much of my enery as I can to write this update. Do I get any cookie points for at least trying?

You guys make me so happy whenever I read your comments. I like to read them over and over again when I have not motivation. They're like my energy and they keep me typing. Thank you. :') (Seriously, how awesome can you all get?)

*I meant comments but I wrote updates. I'm not completely here anymore...