The Unexpected Rival

The Unexpected Rival

 

CHAPTER 8

“THE CINDERELLA STORY”

Everyone was busy fixing their clothes and make-ups. Running there… talking loud… busy doing their thing! I was next in line for the make-up; my dress was hanging right behind me as well as the dresses of the other casts. The light inside the dressing room are giving me the excitement to get dressed.

“Excuse me Ms. Kim you’re next” said the make-up artist looking at me. She’s beautiful and wearing a simple dress and her hair was tied in a bun.

“Ah… Yeah!”

I can feel the brush… face powder and the scent of the make-up fusing to my delicate face. Yeah right delicate face! I closed my eyes as the make-up artist put the blue eye shadow. Then for the last touch she put a pale but pinkish lipstick to my pout yet soft lips.

“Alright, now open you’re eyes!”

I slowly opened my eyes and looked at the mirror.

“Whoa! Is this me? I can’t believe it! Khomsamnida!” I said in excitement.

“You’re beautiful dear! You should get dressed now”

I stood up and got my dress… well, I forgot to tell you that is not really a stunning dress. You know what Cinderella looks like at the first place… She wore a rag dress with an old shoe… You can picture that right? So I wore that dress.

“So this is Cinderella!? It really fits you! You should wear that every day even though you wear that make-up… you’ll always be the rag girl! Stupid! HAHAHA!!!” Ji Yeon said as she passed by me… wearing her glamorous dress. She’s my step-sister so she’s wearing a shiny yet long gown that fits her well.

“Yah stop that Ji Yeon-shi you’re as mean as ever!!” I replied back. But when I said it she’s already walking towards the door. Then she slammed it!

I walked towards the back stage where the others are staying. I saw Hyun Woo-shi sitting at the waiting area at the back stage.

“Wow! Is that you Hyun Woo-shi? The costume fits you well!!”

“Thanks! Am I handsome?” he said while posing a handsome look like a model.

“Of course YES!” I said while laughing.

“Yah why are you laughing, do I look ridiculous?”

“No! I just can’t stop but to laugh! Stop posing like a model it makes me sick!” I said while patting him on the shoulder.

We laughed and sat together memorizing our scripts. Up until now I can see that Hyun Woo and I were close and became best friends. I really like his company and enjoyed a lot being with him. I heard the audience clapped their hands as our director introduced the play. The story was a bit revised for some originality because our director wants some unique scenes to happen that’s why he revised the story. I became nervous because I’m on the first scene as well as the step-sisters. Ji Yeon and her friend Hyeo Ri. Their mother is Mrs. Lee our homeroom adviser… nice trio!

THE SCENE:

The older step-sister and her mom were torturing Cinderella… giving her a slap on the face… grabbing her hair while dragging her inside a room and locked her. She can’t do anything but beg for mercy but in return they just walked away and started preparing for the ball.

It was The Prince’s Birthday… and every rich family was invited to join. Of course there’s a ball… rich and elegant families will attend with their stunning gowns and tuxedos. The Royal Family is expecting the sisters and their mother to attend (the step-sister and step-mom of Cinderella)

“Here I found the key… Cinderella’s mouse friends helped her.”

“Thank you so much!”

They headed on a garden and found that the 2 sister’s and their mom were gone. She cried helplessly because she cannot attend the ball then suddenly the fairy godmother appeared. The sparkling lights startled the mouse as well as Cinderella.

“Dear Cinderella why are you crying?”

“It’s because she can’t attend the ball and the sisters and their mother were already gone” the 2 mouses said.

“Hmm… alright don’t cry! I got an idea!” the fairy godmother began to wave her wand as the sparkling lights began to surround Cinderella…

The curtains were closed and the auditorium became dark. I struggled to change my clothes and the make-up artist put some retouch on my face. Now I became Cinderella finally! It’s my time to shine! Whoa!

The lights began to shine as I turn around wearing the stunning gown. I heard the audience whisper at each other but I don’t know what they were saying so I just focused on what I’m doing on the stage.

“There! You’re indeed beautiful!! Now ride on the carriage… it’s a pumpkin and those little mouse… I turned them to be the one to drive you to the ball!”

“Thank you so much fairy godmother!”

“But wait for one condition my dear! Remember the magic will only last until 12 midnight so you should hurry before you turn to normal as you are. Don’t forget it!” the fairy godmother said.

“Yes… I’ll not forget it… thank you!!” I hugged her then we fled to the ball.

This is my favourite part… it’s time to meet the PRINCE! I didn’t have the chance to glance at him earlier at the back stage because I was busy talking to Hyun Woo. So I’m so DAMN EXCITEEDDD!!!

The curtains were closed again and we positioned to our places for the ball. The stadium was big enough to occupy all the dancers for the ball and of course there is the spot light for me and him.

I was standing in front of the castle made of card board and creative paintings. Then it opened the first thing I saw were the people dancing gracefully. The king and queen, prince’s parents were sitting in their throne. And the prince was standing below them. The music was very romantic and lights were gleaming on the floor. I was startled when I saw SEUNG HO-shi standing and looking at me like he saw a ghost. I think its part of the play so there’s no need for me to imagine that his glares were true. But I can’t help myself so I tried to act as normal as this is happening in a real life story.

He started walking towards me then grabbed my hand and led me to the dance floor. The music blends with our feelings. It was so romantic as if it was really happening; my heart beats faster and faster as he looked at me while we were dancing. We practised it many times but this time it was very different even though I know that it is a play, I can feel that this is true enough for me as my first dance.

He held my hand gently… as normal couple dance would do.

“You’re beautiful Eun Ri” he said to me whispering.

 I don’t think that was part of the script! Is he intended it to say or just want to say it because is that what he feels? A smile crossed my lips as he said it. I feel that it was from the bottom of his heart and I can feel the sincerity in his eyes. My face was burning RED!!! ARGH!!  This scene was one of the longest that I know because we practiced it more often. So I was lucky! But Eun Ri don’t forget that this is only a play, don’t get flushed out.

“I’m sorry but I have to go” I said to him.

“Bu… But why? I don’t even know your name!” he said almost shouting.

I ran towards the auditorium aisle. Well its part of the play. The audience were looking at me; the spot light guided them to see me running towards the auditorium door. I held my gown to prevent me from slipping; I can hear the song all over the place as the audience screeched in happiness.

“You forgot you’re shoe!! Please come back!!” the Prince said. He ran towards the auditorium aisle and stopped when he saw a shoe shining on the gleaming light. I heard all the girls inside screamed as Seung Ho stopped and picked up the shoe and looked at the auditorium door then the lights went out.

The next scene was when the Prince is looking for the owner of the lost shoe. They went on door to door and fit the shoe to every woman they came looking for. But every one of them doesn’t fit it. So when they stopped by our mansion they came looking for all the girls involved. As planned our director changed the scenario. This is when Hyun Woo-shi will come into the scene.

“Ehem… Madame is these 2 girls the only girls in your mansion?” the butler asked. Hyun Woo is the butler. He’s wearing a tuxedo and a formal way of talking.

“Ye… Yes!!” said Madame. 

“Can we come inside?” the Prince went inside as well as his companions. They start to fit the shoe to the older daughter. The Prince kneeled down and fit the shoe. It was Ji Yeon’s turn; she was very excited and can’t explain her feelings. Her smile so wide up to her ears like a clapping ear drum!  But in return the shoe didn’t fit her. It was way too big for her that the shoe almost broke when she insisted that it fits her. She threw tantrums around the house and the Prince became irritated.

“Me I can fit the shoe!!” the younger sister volunteered.

The Prince once again kneeled and fit it.

“It fits!” she said but when she tried to walk it, her foot began to turn red because it was way too fitted for her.

“Ouch the glass shoe is killing me!! Remove it!! REMOVE IITT!!!” she said.

The mother attempts to try the shoe but the older sister glared at her and mouthed (“You’ll be dead if you tried!”) so her mother backed out. Poor mother!

“Thank you for your time!” the butler said. The Prince’s face was very disappointed and started to turn away… head down.

“WAAIIITT!!” I said while rushing down the marble stairs. I wore the same dress I wore at the first scene… The rag dress….

The Prince turned around and looked at me.

“Can I fit those shoes?”

“Yes… You can, miss”

He began to walk towards the stairs to where I’m standing. The audience started screaming. I can see Ji Yeon’s staring at me. But I just look away and feel the moment I’m waiting for.

He fit the shoe…

“It fits! It’s you!” he said when he looked up at me.

“Yes, it’s me, Cinderella” I replied while I bring out the other pair of shoe that I kept after the ball.

I know this is way too fast that the Prince will propose but that is what our director said.

I was startled when he pulled out a little box on his pocket. It’s a red cottony box.

“Will you marry me, Cinderella?”

“Yes I do!!” he began to slide the ring onto my ring finger.

He hugged me tightly and turned me around while hugging.  The 2 sisters as well as their mother were very dumbfounded when they heard that the Prince had just proposed to their maid Cinderella! They were disappointed and just accept the fact that they lose…

Then the curtains went close again… few seconds later….

THE LAST SCENE:

I was wearing the gown that I wore at the ball. It’s a light blue dress, soft and quite shiny. Instead of riding a carriage… we walked down the aisle of the auditorium with only the spot light at us.

The wedding was finished that time and the only missing piece to end the play was a KISS. We stopped at the middle of the aisle. And said the most special words that everyone is waiting for… My heart was beating so fast that I can’t nearly see him straight to the eye. But I have to! This is a play okay?!

“I love you”

“I love you too”

He began to move his face to mine and bent it sidewards. I closed my eyes and began to move my head sidewards too. I can hear the crowd shouting in enchantment. Its centimetres away before our lips touch each other. Before that happens the lights went out and the play is FINISHED. A romantic song was played after that scene.

~EUN RI’S POV~

Why is my heart beating so fast and I can’t help but to continue to kiss him. But NO Eun Ri he will just suspect that

YOU LIKE HIM!! HELP YOURSELF!!!

I CAN FEEL HIS BREATH INTO MY FACE BECAUSE I WAS ONLY CENTIMETRES AWAY FROM HIM!! THANK GOODNESSthat the kiss was cut off!! Well, that will never happen… our director said that …

you will just pretend that you kissed but that is just only an imaginary vision for the audience. But the truth is you will not actually kiss arraso?”

The lights went in and we were cut off guard!! Our faces were even closer than earlier! 

IT WAS SO AWWKKWAARRDD!!! EMBARRASIING!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~SEUNG HO’S POV~

Why is my heart beating so fast and I can’t help but to kiss her. But NO I shouldn’t be, she will only think that.... 

I LIKE HER AND THAT SECRET OF MINE WILL BE REVEALED!!! HELP YOURSELF!!

I CAN FEEL HER BREATH INTO MY FACE BECAUSE I WAS ONLY CENTIMETRES AWAY FROM HER!! I THINK I’M OFF BOUNDARIES!!

The lights went in and we were cut off guard!! Our faces were even closer than earlier!

IT WAS SO AWWKKWAARRDD!!! EMBARRASIING!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Eheem… Mr. Yoo and Ms. Kim the play is over! STOP DOING THAT!!” Mr. Kang said, our director.

The crowd started shouting… screaming out loud!! It was so embarrassing!!! OMG!! Our faces separated… my face was damn RED!!! I looked at him and his face was also RED!! WHOA… it’s the first time I saw that!!

“Come on up here! Join the other casts!!”

I walked towards the stage as well as him and we bowed our heads together for the closing. Every one of us was introduced and of course the director, Mr Kang and the staffs that were involved. The audience clapped their hands and then the curtain was closed slowly.

Note: 

This chapter was quite too long eh? hahaha... I hope you like this one... keep reading the next chapter!! :D XDD 

~rascaltwilight019~ <3