The Unexpected Rival

The Unexpected Rival

CHAPTER 1

MEET

“Kim Eun Ri breakfast is ready, get up now! You’ll be late for school!” mom’s voice was ringing on my sleepy head. “Yes mom, I’ll be there in a minute!” my body can’t get up because of so much tiredness and lousiness that I feel. “I don’t feel like going to school today, aiigoo, my head and back are aching! I wish that I didn’t join my cousins playing volleyball yesterday” I said lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling. It’s almost 15 minutes after mom called me downstairs and I’m still lying on my bed. “I really can’t get up”

 “Yah, Eun Ri are you going to school or not?! It’s your first day, remember?” my mom was almost shouting downstairs. “Yeah mom I know!” then I got up and prepared myself.

“Hey mom good morning, whoa, you prepared so many for breakfast!” I said while sitting on my favourite chair and place at our dining area. “Mom, please save some for my lunch for school, oh I’m so full. Thanks for the breakfast!” I ran out of the door after kissing my mom goodbye and getting a full pack breakfast.

“Oh, it’s so cold; it’s good that I have a thick jacket to wear!” I buried my hand on my pocket while walking. Our school was just a walking distance by our house that’s why we transferred here in Seoul. After my dad died, my mom decided that my little brother and I will be studying at the near by school. “Nowon, Seoul University” They say that this school has a high standard in terms of competencies and of course academics. Well, I am very blessed that I passed the entrance exam last autumn when we transferred here. Finally I reached the campus “Oh my, their school campus is very big, I can’t really imagine what it’s like to roam around and be one of the students!” I said in enthrallment.

 I was walking in a slow phase without noticing the time. I was very fascinated by the beauty of the school then suddenly someone was coming right behind me “Please step out of the way!!!!” Before I had the chance to turn around, someone hit me and we fell on the ground. “Ouch, What do you think you are doing huh?!” I said catching my breath still lying on the floor beneath that person because of the impact of the fall. “Oh I’m really sorry miss, I told you to get out off the way!” he said. Without knowing we’ve been there lying on the ground, I was beneath him and him on top of me. We’ve been staring at each others eyes, panting with our chest out, listening to our heavy breaths and pounding hearts. Then an awkward silence filled the place and as if we are the only persons on the ground. In shame I broke the silence and said.

“Yah, get off me!” while pushing him to get up then I got up brushing the dirt on my uniform using my hands.

“I’m really sorry I didn’t mean to hit you. I was running fast because I don’t wanna be late today. It’s the first day of school, right? He said.

When I turn my head up to talk to him, I stopped and turned to be speechless. I thought to myself that this is not love at first sight but no this is! The thoughts in my mind were fighting and still I’m looking at him from chin to forehead and suddenly I stopped and looked at his flickering eyes. It’s like a crystal that shines brightly and shining straight to my eye. His words are not processing in my disturbed brain then it stopped.

“Hey? Are you alright? Hi miss? Still there?” he said while waving his hands on my blank face.

“Oh! uhmm.. I’m sorry, I lost my senses. Yeah, I’m alright! I said shaking my head up and down. He looked at his watch “Deeh, what time is it!? We’re late! Let’s go!” He said while holding my right hand while running towards the classrooms. Then after 2 minutes running he let go of my hand and continued running until he reached one of the classrooms and just disappeared like a bubble after dragging me in the corridor. I left there without knowing what to do.  

“Hey wait!” I said in frustration.

He just waved back his hand without looking back and then he entered his designated classroom. So I decided to look for the posted sections in the bulletin boards near the stairs. While walking I said in nuisance “Aiisshh! That guy just ruined my morning. After hitting me earlier then leaving me in the middle of no where, that guy is such! He’s a dead meat when we met again!” and finally I reached the bulletin board.

I pointed my right hand on the names listed and dragging it down still finding my name “Uhmm.. Kim.. kim.. eun ri.. Where is my name? Oh here, found it! “Room 325” finally I know where to go with this school so big you will be lost. Then I reached the room just before the time the classes would start, thanks to that guy that I’m already here at the 3rdfloor of this huge building. I stood in front of the door and before knocking, I said to myself with fists closed “Kim Eun Ri, you can do this girl, Fighting!” and I breathed deeply then knocked. And the door opened.

INSIDE THE CLASSROOM:

“Good morning everyone, I would like to introduce to you your new classmate. Please get inside and introduce yourself. She said.

“Hello everyone, I’m Kim Eun Ri, 18 years old, nice to meet you all!” I said still kinda nervous.

“Please seat at the back beside the window. Sorry because that is only the available slot in our classroom. Alright then, let’s start!”

As I was walking toward my seat I saw the person that just hit me earlier in the campus. I was shocked because I didn’t expect that he will be my seatmate and of course classmate. I looked at him in surprise as he gave me a friendly smile.

“Hi, I didn’t expect we’ll be in the same class!” he said whispering.

“Oh well, yeah! And thanks to you that you dragged me in the middle of no where huh?” with an irritated tone in my voice.

“Yes, Ms. Kim Eun Ri? Is there something wrong?” Mrs. Lee said while looking back at us.

“Uhmm.. no maa’m she’s just being friendly to me” He said sarcastically.

I gazed at him with a dark glare on my eyes. And in reply he just smirked. What a kind of guy he is? He just pissed off my day! As I was observing the room, I thought to myself that it’s really good to be studying here than to my previous school when I was a sophomore. I was very thankful that I transferred here! I said to myself. While our professor was teaching Chemistry subject, well my favourite subject! I secretly took a glance to that annoying guy on my right side furtively observing him and luckily he didn’t notice me, oh what a poor guy he is.

“Uhmm.. He’s cute but kind of annoying sometimes but I like the way he talks and smiles at me, well because I never met a guy like him before but aiisshh.. I’m distracted again. Kim Eun Ri.. Focus! Focus! Focus!” slightly stabbing my head while holding my pen.

2 hours had passed and the bell rang. Its break time already. Time flies so fast and I didn’t notice. My classmates got out of the room bringing their things with them. I don’t have a companion today well because I don’t know them either and I’m shy mingling with them. I just sighed and started to pack my things.

“Hey! wanna eat somethin’?  He said while staring at me with a huge smile on his face.

“Yes, I would love to’!” I replied with some kind of annoyance at him.

After picking up my food, he signalled at me by waving his hand, with no choice I just sit opposite at him and started eating my food. I don’t have a choice but to be with him because I don’t have a friend that time. And I thought it’s not appalling to be with this infuriating guy opposite to mine.

“How long you’ve been here? Since when did you study here?” I asked being nice to him.

 “I’m Yoo Seung Ho and I transferred here 2 years ago since you’d transferred, that’s why I don’t have much friends plus I’m not that kind of person who’s friendly that time” he said while scooping a spoonful of rice. “I’m sorry earlier that I left you because I was really in a hurry to get inside before the bell rang because if that happens I’m dead!” he said widening his eyes.

“Well, that was your reason huh? Alright, because it’s reasonable you’re forgiven“ I replied.

“Thank you for your kindness madam! I really appreciate it!” he said sarcastically.

“You’re really crazy! I never thought that you have that kind of attitude that really pisses someone up!” I said while laughing at him. He also laughed and sipped his soft drink.

“You, why did you choose to study here? There are many schools near this one? Why did you choose this school? He said.

“Well, you know they say that this school is good and has a high standard in academics and my mom wants us to study here, my little brother and me.” I replied

“Ah, so you have a little brother, what grade is he now?

“He’s already in 4thgrade and most of time he’s very naughty and childish just like you!” I said just joking.

“So you’re saying that I‘m a naughty and childish guy huh? He said with a cute smile on his face.

“Hahaha.. Oh, I’m just joking! That smile suits your serious face; you should always wear that cute smile of yours!” I said while laughing.

He blushed because of flattered ness I just said, we both laughed and continue chatting until we reached our classroom. While walking in the stairs I secretly took a simple glance at his handsome face. “He’s handsome whenever he smiles” I said in the back of my mind though he’s fine-looking I’ll confess to myself that I’m really attracted to him. He’s quiet sometimes but once you get to know him, he’s ridiculous than you’ve ever imagine. He has no friends in school because he said he’s not friendly and chooses the person he wants to be with. Sometimes he’s crazy but he can easily shift into a serious mood. What an attitude this guy has? His weird but I like weird good-looking guys. My type is just hard to find that’s why I find him very interesting to be with. I smiled thinking about him, his attitude and the way he acts is hard to forget. Well, I just observed it the whole day and all the way long I kept thinking about him. “What are you smiling at?” he said.

“No, it’s nothing!” I was surprised when he noticed me smiling without him knowing what the reason was. Well, he’ll never know what I was thinking. And he’ll never know unless I tell him that I had a crush on him since the first day we’ve met. I sat down to my chair and our teacher went in and we started our lesson in Math.