Chapter 3 - Joseon 2

This Tragic Tale

It has been a week since King Sejong's death. Younggi was still devastated. She still couldn't except the fact that her father was no longer with her. She still wasn't able to cooperate without her father's existence. She locked herself in her room right after her father's funeral. She cried, all day. She even cried herself to sleep. Everyone tried to comfort her. All of them failed. They tried every method possible to cheer her up but nothing worked. Younggi was laying on the floor, staring at the ceiling, reminiscing the days when her father was around. 

Younggi smiled and wiped her tears. She remembered all the good times when her father was around. She remembered how her father loved her and how she loves him back so much more. *Abbeoji, bogoshipeoseo.* Someone knocked on the door, snapping her out of her thought. "Come in," She said. An old lady came in, bringing a tray of food. "Agassi??" Younggi ignored the lady. She was still deep in her thoughts. The old lady was Younggi's nanny. She had always taken care of her since the day that she was born. She was the closest person Younggi had to a mother. They were very close. She would share all her problems with her. The nanny understands her like she was her very own child. She felt sad seeing Younggi like this. She put down the tray and slowly walked to Younggi. "Agassi? Your meal is ready." Younggi was still ignoring her. The nanny sat beside Younggi. "You can't be like this, agassi. How are you going to be the queen if you keep acting like this???" "I don't want to be the queen." "Master had no other descendants. You are his only child. Only the king's son or daughter can claim the throne." "Why can't Aunt YeonHo be the queen?" "We can't stray from tradition, agassi." "I told you, I don't want to be the queen. I just want Abbeoji back. I- Just-" The sadness suddenly engulfed her. The nanny kneeled in front of her and held her hands. Younggi's eyes were swollen because of a lot of crying. She just couldn't let go. "Agassi, you know that's not going to happen." Tears flowed down Younggi's cheeks nonstop. "Why did he have to leave, nanny? Wae? Wae?? WAEE????" She slumped her head on her nanny's chest, sobbing. Her nanny patted her back, trying to calm her down. After a few moments, Younggi finally calmed down and stopped sobbing. She moved away from her nanny and wiped her tears. "Call that servant of Abbeoji's. I need him to take me somewhere." Her nanny nodded and went out of the room. 

--- 

"My lady? We're here." Younggi crawled out of the royal carriage. The lake looked just as beautiful as it was before. Jonghyuk tried to follow her but she wouldn't let him. "Leave me alone." Jonghyuk and the other servants exchanged glances, hesitant to leave the princess. "Go." She said. Jonghyuk nodded signalling towards the others to leave. "You too, go." Younggi walked to the spot where her father and her sat that day. Jonghyuk stared at her walking figure. *Oh no, princess. Im not leaving. Not in your condition.* He pretended to walk towards the palace and quietly sneaked behind a tree, keeping an eye on the princess. She squinted as the sun's rays begin to hit her face. 

#Flashback# 

It was Younggi's 17th birthday. She woke up, feeling very excited. *What does Abbeoji have in store for me today?* Her room's door slid open. "Good morning, Younggi-ah." Her father greeted her. "Where's my little birthday girl??" He spreaded his arms wide open, asking for a hug. Younggi ran to him and wrapped herself around him. She let go and looked up to her father, pouting. "Abbeoji, I'm 17, I'm not your little girl anymore, remember?" The King touched the tip of her daughter 's nose. "You're still my little girl to me." Youngi pouted, turned away and crossed her arms. She thinks it's embarrassing to be called a 'little girl'. She really doesn't like the idea of it. King Sejong chuckled. He gripped his daughter's arms and turned her around. 

"Don't be sad, my little girl. We're going out today. Just us. That's what you always wanted right?" Younggi's face brightened. She kissed her father's cheeks. "Chinjayo, Abbeoji? Wait for me, arasso?" She hurriedly run out of the room to clean herself. Her father laughed as her cheerful daughter disappeared around the corner. *Hye Sung, our daughter's 17 now. Oh, how I wish you are still here. Younggi resembles you alot. I miss you.* He thought to himself. 

--- 

"Here we are." King Sejong removed his hand which was covering Younggi's eyes. When she opened them, the sight of a beautiful lake greeted her. She looked at her father, astounded. 

"Abbeoji. This is beautiful." She twirled. "I've never seen a place like this!" "I know, I wanted to surprise you." He smiled. Younggi ran and hugged her father. "Thank you for doing this for me, Abbeoji." "Anything for my little girl." Younggi giggled. She took off her sandals and ran around barefooted. Younggi was a spoilt child. Eventhough she was 17, she acts like a 7-year old. 

After a lot of what she calls 'exploring', her father called her. "Younggi-ah, come, sit here and eat." Younggi obeyed her father. 

"Look." He said. The sun was setting. Its yellow rays starting to fade. It was a beautiful sight indeed. On the lake, the reflection of the sun could be seen, making the scene a lot more beautiful. Younggi stared at it in amazement. "This is where your mother and I met." "Omonni was here?" Her father nodded. He stared into the lake, thinking about his beloved late wife. "Tell me, Abbeoji. What was she like?" Younggi asked. King Sejong turned towards her and then stared back in to the lake. "She's beautiful and innocent." He looked at Younggi. He touched the tip of Younggi's nose. "Just like you." Younggi giggled and turned to look at the scene again. "Younggi-ah." "Hmmm??" She said without turning around. "If I'm not around anymore, whenever you miss me, you can come here. Whenever you're sad, just come here, let your heart shout. I'll always be here to listen." 

Younggi looked at her father's face. He was being serious. He put his head down but Younggi could still see his gloomy smile. "I come here, when I miss your mother." The atmosphere was very sad and awkward. They kept silent for a few minutes. "Aish, Abbeoji. Stop talking nonsense. You'll always be here for me, right?" She said, breaking the silence. She wrapped her arms around her father. "So this is the reason why you always disappear. No wonder I couldn't find you!" They looked at each other and burst into laughters. She smiled and laid her head on her father's shoulder. They spent the rest of the afternoon laughing and sharing stories. 

#End Of Flashback# 

Her emotions took control of her. Tears flowed down her cheeks for the nth time. "Abbeoji.." She bawled. "A-abbeoji-ah," She moaned. Her knees gave on her. The world was spinning around her. And then she collapsed. Jonghyuk saw her but didn't panic. He expected this to happen. He ran to the princess's side and lift her up, bridal style. He looked at her. *Why are you being so hard on yourself my lady?* Jonghyuk carried her all the way back. Back to the palace.