Chapter 2 - Joseon

This Tragic Tale

Meanwhile, back in the Joseon era... 

There she sat beside her father's throne. His empty throne. The princess was sulking, resting her chin on her hand, propped on her elbow. She was very sad. King Sejong, her father, was on the verge of death. She had always been an only child. Her mother died when she gave birth to her. She was always loved and pampered by her father ever since she was born. Anything she wants, her father will get. She really loved her father. She knew she can't bear the thought of living alone in this world without her father after this. And now she is losing him. And she had no one else to turn to. 

It's not like she had no other relatives or something. Her father has a little sister, Yi YeonHo, but she never seem to care about her. Her aunt had always hated her mother. At least that was what she was told. Somebody even told her that her mother died because of her doing. They told her, her aunt was pleased and delighted when her mother died. Some even told her that they saw her aunt jumped in joy when she found out. Her hatred of the princess's mother was beyond huge that the princess assumed that that was the reason why her aunt hated herself so much. People tried to tell the King about this but he never believed them. He thought his sister was so innocent. She was very dear to him. The princess herself was not even sure about it. She sighed and massaged her temples. *What am I going to do??* 

A young man of her age burst in to the throne room. The princess blinked at him, shocked and at the same time confused by his sudden action. The young man was panting. He quickly kneeled on one knee to show his respect towards her. "What brings you here?" She asked, getting impatient. 

The very good-looking young man rose his head. 

"Your royal highness, Princess Younggi, I am Kim Jonghyuk, your father's most trusted servant. The King wants a word with you." He quickly stood up. "We must hurry, my lady!" 

Younggi blinked at him, trying to process what he just said. "Hurry, my lady!" With that she got up and hurriedly followed the servant out of the room. 

The servant led her to her father's room where two guards were standing at the door. Both bowed down to Younggi. Her father's servant nodded at them. They opened the door to reveak the weak and pale King Sejong, laying on the floor. 5 maids sat in a row beside him with their heads down. The servant ordered them to get out, leaving them alone. Younggi slowly walked to her father. She sat down, took her father's hand and looked at him sadly. Upon her touch, King Sejong slowly opened his eyes. When he saw his daughter, he put on a weak smile and squeezed her hand. "Abbeoji?? Are you okay?" "Younggi.." He managed to say. Tears were starting to well up Younggi's eyes. She put her forefinger on her father's lips. "Ssshhh.. You don't have to, a-abbeoji." King Sejong moved her finger away. Younggi was having a hard time trying to hold back her tears. "Younggi-ah," He coughed. Younggi his hand. "I'm sorry." "You have nothing to be sorry for, abbeoji." This time, she wasn't able to hold back anymore. Tears flowed down her cheeks. Her father smiled and wiped her tears. 

"Please don't cry. Uljima. Jebal." He wheezed. "Please. Just stop talking." Her tears flowed down really fast. "Younggi-ah, I'm sorry for making you go through all of this." He let out another cough. "I'm sorry that I have to leave you. I'm -" "Abbeoji, please don't say that. You're going to be fine. You just need a little more time to recover." She wiped her tears but no matter how many times she did that,they kept flowing out. "Jonghyuk-ah," The servant didn't expect that his master would call him. "N-neh, sire??" The King asked him to come close. The servant, who was standing behind Younggi all this time, watching the two, hesitantly walked towards him. The King asked him to sit down. 

"You are my youngest, most trustworthy and loyal servant. My Younggi is in your hands now." The king took Jonghyuk's hand. He blinked in surprise. "Promise me you will take care of her till time ends. No matter what happens, guard her even if it takes your own life." The servant was speechless. He took a long time trying to figure out what the King said. He finally nodded in understanding. The King pulled out the necklace he was wearing. He handed it to the servant. "This is a necklace worn by my ancestors. It has been passed down from father to son for generations. I have always consider you my son." He smiled. "I want you to have this and continue the tradition. This necklace is also to remind you of your promise. Treasure it with all your heart." He placed the necklace on Jonghyuk's palm and closed it. Jonghyuk stared at the necklace. He was not able to say anything. All he did was nod. King Sejong looked at his beloved daughter. He touched her face. 

"Saranghae, Younggi-ah, Manhi saranghae." "Abbeoji..." He smiled again. "Younggi-ah, I'm tired. I want to sleep." Younggi nodded and her father slowly closed his eyes. His chest heaved up and then down. After that, nothing. His hand fell limp on Younggi's lap. "A-abbeoji??" She shook his body. Still nothing. "N-no, No! NO!! NOO!!! Abbeoji, wake up, please wake up. ABBEOJI!!!" She shook his lifeless body as hard as she could. "Andwae! Abbeoji!!!!" Younggi slapped the King's face lightly. She was not ready for this. She knew her father would be gone someday but she didn't expect he would leave so soon. Too soon. Jonghyuk the servant pulled Younggi away. "No! Abbeoji's just sleeping!!" She struggled and got away from his grasp. She quickly crawled to her father. She tried shaking him for the last time. But it was of no use. She laid her head on the King's chest. "Oh, Abbeoji.. " She sobbed. There was nothing the servant could do to help her. 
--- 
Without them knowing, somebody was spying on them. "I'm *this* close to getting the throne. She needs to go in order for my plan to succeed." The person muttered, smirked and casually walked away from the scene.