Physical Strength

A Singer's Love Story

Ha Yeon’s POV

 

                The last class of the day: Physical Education. I was actually pretty happy about it. I guess I’m alright with sports…I’m not totally incompetent, but I was mostly excited for this class because it was the easiest subject after all, especially after all the in-classroom classes today.

                I was excited, until this one thing popped up: the changing rooms. I held my P.E. uniform in my hands, staring at the mirror, and trying to avoid the others naturally taking off their pants… I was hoping Kevin or Minho would be in my class, but unfortunately, they weren’t. On the other hand, Jonghyun and Onew was, as I saw them enter the changing room.

                “Oh Ha yeon!” Onew greeted with a bright smile.

                “Onew-hyung!” I happily greeted back.

                “Ahem,” Jonghyun coughed.

                “Oh. Hi to you too,” I monotonously said.

                “What’s with that answer?!” Jonghyun asked, flaring his nostrils.

                “You didn’t say hi first, you pabo,” I stuck my tongue out at him.

                “WHY I’D OUGHTA—,”

                “Alright, let’s calm down here,” Onew stepped between the two of us.

                I grunted at Jonghyun and turned towards a bathroom stall.

                “Yah, you’re using the bathroom now? You have like 30 seconds to change! Just hold it in or something,” Jonghyun warned.

                Thirty seconds?! We had a time limit? What the hell? I rushed into the bathroom stall and changed into the uniform—in twenty seconds flat. Just before exiting, I flushed the toilet so that they’d think I actually went to the bathroom.

                When I stepped out, Onew and Jonghyun were the only ones still there.

                “Oh, you changed already?” Onew asked.

                “Haha….yeah,” I nervously laughed.

                Jonghyun suddenly burst out laughing. I could feel my face flush from embarrassment, even though I didn’t know what I was embarrassed about. I walked up to him and kicked his shin.

                “OW SHI—,” Jonghyun crouched in pain.

                “Why were you laughing?” I folded my arms and asked seriously.

                Jonghyun just sat on the floor, making noises and rubbing the wound…wait a WOUND?! I looked more closely…and turns out I kicked him harder than I thought. The shallow part of the skin was completely torn and wrinkled, showing a very bright pink—almost red, flesh. I noticed small spots of blood appearing.

                “Jonghyun! Ar-are you okay?!” I freaked out. “I didn’t mean it! I mean, I didn’t expect this…to happen and—”

                I stopped talking to see what his reaction was. It didn’t seem good. All of a sudden, he raged out at me, making me—and Onew jump.

                “SHUT UP! Look all I wanted to do was joke around a bit okay?! Think about it reasonably! It doesn’t even matter if were late! You didn’t have to kick me for it! God, how am I supposed to run now?” Jonghyun raged and stormed off with a limp outside.

                I just stood there speechless. Great job, Ha Yeon, there goes your future boyfriend. Just kidding. He's a jerk.

                Onew wrapped his arms around me and said, “It’s okay Ha yeon. Don’t worry about it too much. He’s like that but he’ll get over it soon.”

                Oh how much I wanted to hug Onew right there. But that would be –ahem- “gay”. And I can’t afford to have even more misunderstandings not even a week of being here. I looked at him and weakly forced a smile. Onew smiled back and we walked onto the field. Apparently as that DINOSAUR said, we were running.

                The entire field was pretty humongous. Bigger than any running field in my previous school. The teacher split us into two groups: each group would run for 20 minutes.

                “Ha yeon!” someone cheerfully greeted me. It was Nicole, and I realized she was in my class as well.

                “Nicole-sshi,” I instantly smiled. She was in the second group with me, the ones who ran after the first group, which contained that dinosaur and Onew.

                “Ahh…no need to be so formal. You can just call me Nicole,” she said.

                “Oh, okay. So…um…your boyfriend, Onew…” I started, trying to think of something to say.

                “I got to know him over the summer. That’s when we started dating. It was like a school project or something,” she immediately explained.

                “Oh…okay…”

                “I heard you’re dorming with…Jonghyun,” she said. I noticed she paused before she said that dinosaur’s name. Was she not fond of him either?

                “Yeah I am, why?” I asked.

                “No…nothing…just curious. How is it living with him for a total of one day?”

                “He’s a total pain! He’s annoying, walks around half-, asks if I look like a—,” I stopped. I was about to reveal my secret! “I-I mean he asks why I’m so short!”

                Nicole laughed and said, “He does that a lot…”

                “Everyone seems to know so much about him. Why?” I wondered.

                “Well…I guess you can say he’s an interesting character.”

                The bell rang and the first group began running. I kept my eyes on that dinosaur. With just a tank top on, I’d say he looked pretty y. Then my eyes drifted to Onew, who was clumsily running along at a normal pace.

                “Hey Nicole,” I said, trying to not laugh at Onew’s attempt at running. “Why did you like Onew?”

                She didn’t answer for a bit then finally said, “He’s very gentlemanly, and he treats me well…uhm…he’s also quite cute.”

                “That doesn’t seem very convincing,” I laughed.

                Nicole looked at me and smiled, but she didn’t say anything afterwards.

 

Jong Hyun’s POV

 

                I slowed down to a jog as the last five minutes were finishing up. Afterwards, I grabbed a towel and wiped the sweat from my forehead. I felt a lot cooler and refreshed…especially after what happened. Ugh…I didn’t even understand why I thought Ha Yeon would be even the slightest bit cute.

                I looked up at the bleachers, scanning for his ugly face. My eyes caught onto Nicole, who was patiently waiting for everyone to finish up. Her arms were leaning against the rails, making them seem more toned than usual. Her hair was tied up in a small bun. Next to her, I saw Ha Yeon. From this distance, if I didn’t know either of them, I could’ve sworn they were best friends…and both girls.

                My eyes caught Ha Yeon’s and I instinctively looked away. It was too awkward to look at him now after yelling at him. I mean, I’m not even mad at him anymore…but kind of annoyed.

                The teacher called the 2nd group to come down and Nicole rushed down. I had hopes that she might have said something to me, but she ran right past me to Onew instead. I was stuck having Ha Yeon’s ugly face in front of me.

                “Move it dino,” he grumbled.

                “You move it, ugly,” I retaliated.

                “No, you move because you’re the fat one,” he refused.

                “I’m fat?! Then you must be morbidly obese!”

                “How dare you!”

                “What? It’s true I bet. Little short boys like you can’t run for ,” I scoffed.

                Ha yeon pushed me to the side forcefully and growled, “I’ll show you.”

 

_____________________________________________