Keeping Secrets

A Singer's Love Story

Ha yeon’s POV

 

“Come on!” I pulled both their hands quickly as we rushed over to the principal’s office.

 

I was worried about this at first, but I didn’t know that something like this would ever happen. How in the world did she even figure out that I was a girl?!

 

The three of us entered the room as the principal turned around and faced us, arms crossed and with a stern expression.

 

“Minho and Kevin…these are your friends?” she asked me.

 

Minho and Kevin bowed and said, “Hello, Ms. Shin.” Oh, so that was what her name was.

 

“You two aren’t busy with any promotions for your groups or anything?” she asked, skeptically.

 

“No,” they both politely responded.

 

Ms. Shin sighed and said, “So…you three are all close?”

 

“We’ve been friends for a long time.”

 

“Then I assume you two know who Ha yeon really is?” she asked.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Gender-wise.”

 

“Oh, yes…” they both said.

 

“You guys accept her doing this?” she asked, a bit more stern this time.

 

Minho and Kevin didn’t say anything until Kevin decided to talk. “We all talked about this together. So yes, we did.”

 

“How is this even possible?” she scoffed and placed a hand on her forehead. She looked like she had a headache…like as if this happened before.

 

“It’s complicated,” Minho said. "M-ma'am."

 

I furrowed my eyebrows and held my hands together. I was nervous that my identity would be revealed and my enrollment in this school cancelled. But more than anything, I was worried that Kevin and Minho would have consequences as well.

 

“So…”

 

“Ah!” I blurted. “A-actually, I just talked to them about it. They don’t really have anything else to do with it. They aren’t responsible for this at all.”

 

I stared down at my feet due to embarrassment. I heard the Ms. Shin sigh again.

 

“Alright. Can I talk to Ha yeon alone? You two may leave now,” she said.

 

“Neh…” they bowed again and left.

 

Ms. Shin looked at me and sat up straight. “We’re going to have to change your dorm.”

 

My eyes opened wide. “W-wait…”

 

“You’re a girl,” she continued. “Don’t you feel intimidated around men? Especially a stranger? In your own dorm?”

 

I shook my head. I never thought about it before…but males never did scare me.

 

“Don’t you think it would be safer if you went to a girl’s dorm?” she said, her face was writhed in disbelief.

 

I shook my head again. In fact, I was scared of girls more. I’ve seen it on dramas and TV shows—girls gossip, backstab and hide things from each other. Best friends are actually worst enemies. Why would I want to be friends with them? Nicole…was an exception, and I wasn’t afraid of her knowing that she thinks I’m a boy.

 

“Why not?” she kept asking. “I’m saying this because I’m worried.”

 

“I-I…I don’t have very good e-experiences…with girls…” I stuttered. I sounded like an innocent boy now, didn’t I?

 

“Well I think you will be able to adjust. You’ll figure it out. You’re a girl…you should embrace that. Don’t try to be someone else.”

 

“B-but I’ve never made a girl friend!” I shouted. “Ever since I was little, I only talked to guys. Can’t you even see the way I’m acting and the way I look? Does it look like I’d be able to adjust easily?”

 

Ms. Shin looked surprised that I said something like that. She looked hurt, not because of words, but more of a troubled, hurt look. I started to actually question what was happening. Did something happen before…?

 

“Are you sure those two are the only ones who know about this?” she said weakly.

 

“I…I hope so…” I said.

 

She stood up and walked over to me. She placed her hand on my shoulder and said, “Yes… I guess it wouldn’t be the best publicity for you, me or the school for this to get out. I’ll let it slide for now…but if this becomes too complicated, I’m afraid something will have to be done.”

 

I looked at her. She’s accepting it? I thought in disbelief.

 

Suddenly the door opened and Minho was there. Kevin just appeared from behind him, and both of them looked worried.

 

“Ha yeon,” Minho panted. “Get Jonghyun.”

 

Surprised and flustered, I clumsily bowed to Mrs. Kim and said goodbye. I rushed outside and they started speed walking somewhere.

 

---------

 

“Okay what happened?” I asked.

 

“Nicole isn’t at the cafeteria,” Kevin surged.

 

“What?” I said. “I thought she would be there.”

 

“Well we think something might have happened,” Minho said. “There was a crowd of people outside like as if they saw something.”

 

“Why aren't we getting Jonghyun then?” I shouted. “Let’s go outside!”

 

“Do you have Nicole’s number?” Kevin asked.

 

“No… I never asked…” I said.

 

“That’s why! Jonghyun should have her number,” Kevin explained.

 

I texted Jonghyun quickly, “hey, where r u right now?”

 

Come on, answer! I thought, frustrated.

 

“oh sorry I was sleeping. Im at our room, y?”

 

“stay there!” I panicked.

--------------------------

 

Jonghyun’s POV

 

“stay there!” I looked at the text. Why did it sound so urgent? I got up to change my shirt.

 

Then the door lock clicked. Ha yeon came rushing in, pulled my hand and brought me outside. Kevin and Minho were there too, with the same expression as Ha yeon.

 

“Jonghyun,” Minho started. “Do you have Nicole’s number?”

 

“Y-yeah…” I said, taking out my phone. “Why?”

 

“Ask her where she is!” Ha yeon sounded like she was scared out of her wits.

 

“What happened?!” I said, matching Ha yeon’s tone of voice.

 

“Come on, we’re gonna see,” Kevin started rushing off.

 

We arrived at the main entrance of the school. There were two cops and a crowd of people there, and another crowd outside.

 

“I’m sorry, but you have to step back,” the cops pushed the crowd pack, including us.

 

“Something definitely happened…”

 

 

__________________________________________________________

dun dun dun~