Why Pretending to Be a Boy is Actually Kind Of Awesome

A Singer's Love Story

Ha Yeon's POV    

 

                I stood outside of my dorm and took a deep breath. Okay, here’s to hoping for a k-pop band dorm partner! I slid the card key on the side and it blinked green.  I held the doorknob firmly in my hands and turned it. Slowly, I opened the door and peeked inside.

                It was nice and clean. Really beautiful, actually. Yeah, I’m a er for cool room designs, and they definitely made it awesome. Simple, and modern, there was a plain bed, a desk and a very cool looking closet. That was on one side, while the other side of the room was the exact mirror of what I described. In the center of the two ‘bedroom sections’ was a similarly styled couch and recliner, with a decently sized flatscreen TV, another desk and a bookshelf.

                I saw my luggage on one side of the dorm. I also noticed there were a few luggages in the other corner of the dorm. I assumed he took that side, so I started unpacking my things. Suddenly, someone picked up a photo I placed on my desk.

                “She’s pretty. Your girlfriend?” he asked.

                I turned around and my mouth gaped open. MY WISH CAME TRUE. KIM JONGHYUN WAS MY DORM PARTNER?! JONGHYUN. JJONG. THAT DINOSAUR LOOKING MANG. FROM SHINEE. Oh, and he’s half .

                “Uhm, no,” I said, taking my photo back. I was trying not to act like a fangirl…or fanboy…whatever. “That’s my…mom…”

                He coughed and laughed, “She looks pretty young. Sorry man. Kim Jong Hyun.” He held a fist towards me.

                I stood up and replied naturally and said, “Kim Ha Yeon. You’re from SHINee right?”

                “Of course,” he smiled. “You know, you’re pretty short and skinny for a boy.”

                "Yeah...you don't say."

                "You're like really short though," Jonghyun grinned. He probably was joking, but it seemed a little rude to say to someone you literally met 5 seconds ago.

                “Excuse me?” I scoffed. “Like as if you’re the one to talk.” Also, I hated it when people say that.

                “What? It’s true. And hey, I’m taller than you.”

                “Well I’m sorry I’m not all buff like you!” I pointed at his stomach…abs. Really, really y abs. But anyway.

                He laughed and said, “Ohh thanks.”

                I scoffed as he went and unpacked his things. I pulled out something from his luggage.

                “Psh, at least I’M not the one wearing such feminine boxers,” I scoffed.

                He snatched the blue flowered underwear from my hands and said, “Shut up, what, are your underwear any more manlier than mines?”

                “Of course.”

                “Then prove it.”

    “It’s too manly for you to see,” I folded my arms.

    “What kind of stupid excuse is that?” he growled.

    “I bet Minho doesn’t know you wear that kind of underwear.”

                “What does he have to do with it?! Aish you don’t make any sense. And this is only ONE pair,” Jonghyun stood up and placed his clothes in his closet.

                “I’m practically his best friend.”

                “Ohh right totally, and I love chicken more than Onew.” he sarcastically replied.

                “I can prove that to you,” I said. I pulled out my phone and showed him Minho’s number. He compared his phone to mine, and sure enough, the numbers were the same. “Hehe, what if I told him?”

                “DO NOT,” He glared at me. “Aish, are you some creepy stalker that stalks SHINee?”

                “I’m pretty sure there’s people like that,” I patted his back. “But I’m not one of them. I ASSURE you I’m his friend. Now…get me some food and I won’t tell him,” I smiled.

                Jonghyun scoffed in disbelief. “You’re gonna use it as blackmail now?! If you’re hungry, I have some snacks in the front,” he said and put on a shirt.

                I ped the pocket in the luggage and took out a box of Pocky. Aww hell yeah Jong hyun. First, you’re a y roommate. Second, you have my favorite snack ever.

                Suddenly he took it away from me.

                “Yah! You said you’d—,” I stood up.

                “I never said it was for you,” he laughed snobbily and bit off a piece of Pocky.

                “Give me some!” I reached for the box. Naturally, like EVERYONE does, he raised it up in the air where I could reach.

                “Haha shorty,” He walked towards the couch.

                I glared at him and without thinking, I ran and tackled him to the ground.

                “What the—,” Jong hyun managed to say before hitting the carpet. The Pocky he was holding fell out of his hand.

                “Yes!” I shouted, and reached for the box. I took out like five sticks and then realized I was sitting on top of Jong hyun.

                I got up and offered my hand. “Ohh…umm…sorry about that.”’

                He got up by himself and said in the most serious tone ever, “Has anyone ever thought you were a girl?”

                I stopped munching on my Pocky and looked at him.

                Don’t ask me that! No, my boy disguise is failing!

 

__________________________________________________________________