A chance encounter

Chocolate Love

 

It was a cold winter day. People were rushing back to their houses to seek warmth from the cruel wind. A lonely figure walked the deserted streets. Yang Seung Ho was waiting for his chauffeur to pick him up, but being in a thin business suit, the cold was unbearable. All the shops were closed, except for one. Christmas decorations adorned the shop front, and as he push the door a small bell rang. The shop was filled with all kinds of sweets imaginable.

 Seung Ho was going to leave the shop, for he is not a fan of sweets. “May I help you?” the question was directed at him, and reluctantly his eyes went to the speaker. A blush rose up in his cheeks as he stared at the girl approaching him. What he didn’t expect was the quickening of his heartbeat. She was not his ideal type, but he found himself wanting to know her more. The girl had short hair and big brown eyes, with dimples at the side of her cheeks.

She repeated the question again, and Seung Ho mentally hit himself for being so obvious. He wanted to say no and leave the shop, but instead he found himself sitting down on one of the armchairs and ordering a cup of hot chocolate. With a smile she turned away from him and walked with quick and light steps back to the counter. The shop has a fireplace, providing warmth and a sense of peacefulness. There were no other customers; as the cup of hot chocolate arrived he tried to initiate a conversation. “It must be hard, working so late in such a cold weather.” She nodded and replied “The fireplace here is warm, and I live near here so it is not a problem.” His ears picked up on the last part but he didn’t make any acknowledgement, changing the subject smoothly.

They were just having a pleasant chat and she sat down opposite him with a cup of hot chocolate in her hands. When both had finished their drink, she stood up and put the mugs in the sink. “It’s time to close the shop. Thank you and please come again.” Seung Ho stood beside the shop, for he was worried about her. A girl walking the streets alone at night is not safe. As his car arrived she was locking up the store, and he offered to send her home. Declining politely, she bowed and crossed the street, waving to him before entering one of the houses.

The chauffeur, a family friend of Seung Ho, could see that his master was disappointed but he kept quiet. “I think I have fallen in love with her.” He was looking out of the window with a slight smile on his face. “Good for you, sir. We all need a special someone in our life.” Was the chauffeur’s reply when they stopped in front of Seung Ho’s house.

Ever since that first meeting, Seung Ho would always go to the same shop nearly every day, ordering the same drink. Most of the time she was the waitress, but sometimes it is a different person. From her name tag, he got to know that her name is Sumi, and she seemed to enjoy her job a lot. When the shop is not as busy, her head would be stuck in a book. Seung Ho would just sip his hot chocolate and observe her, before finishing the drink and leaving. Just looking at her makes him happy.

He is now a regular customer, and Sumi would chat with him while he was waiting for his order. After going into her shop for 3 weeks, he asked for her number. She gave it to him shyly and hid her face with a book as he left the shop in high spirits. That night he had sat up in bed, thinking and deciding if he should call her. But he didn’t want to come off as creepy, or wake her from her sleep, so he didn’t call her that night. The next few days he was unable to go to the shop, for he was working overseas. While he was there, he saw something that Sumi might like, and without a thought he bought it. Once again he is in Korea, and so he went to her shop that night.