chapter 10

the good wife

 

it was late in the night when changmin finally arrived at gimcheon ,he drove to ahjuma kim 's house -he came to this house before with his parents a year before when he first met joohyun - when the old woman let him in ,he walked throught the garden to reach joohyun's room while walking flashback from the past played in his mind 
  
 
it was a sunny spring day ,his parents left him alone with his future wife so they could get acquainted , she was in the garden bent down smelling fresh roses ,her long black wavy hair came down on her shoulder like a waterfall , she has a slim figure -he thought - which was accentuated with a beautiful fluffy  white dress ,but he couldn't see her face ,he wanted to see her face so badly " excuse me " he tried to get her attention ,she turned to face him ,smilling ,he was memerized by her like she was some kind of enchantress ,he stared at her :  the sun lights had made a halo on her head ,the red roses around her ,the contrast between her black hair and white dress ...it was magical ,he felt dizzy ..
 
"you must be shim changmin-sshi " she spoke as she stood up " y-y-yes ,I am " he stuttered because he was so absorbed by her beauty " nice to meet you ,I am seo joohyun " he followed her with his gaze as she got closer ,she stopped inches from his body "I am sorry for your parents " 
"thank you " she said calmly ,he imagined her to be devastated it's been just one month that she lost her parents and now she have to get married with a total stranger , yet she was so calm  "do you know why I am here joohyun-sshi ?" he wanted to be sure " yes ,I know : to see your bride " she blushed and averted his burning gaze , she was more beautiful when she blushed -thought changmin - "yes ,that's right .are you okey with it ,I mean you barly know me " she smiled " I am okey with it , it's true that I don't know you ,but everything has a start , hasn't it ?" he raised his eyebrow " what if I am a bad guy ,aren't you worried ? " 
"that the purpose of getting to know each other and I know, you are not a bad guy " she was still calm ,so calm " and how do you know that I am not a bad guy ?" he crossed his arms " she turned around and went back to her roses ,she took a watering can that was on the ground " bad guys doesn't get married to a girl they barely knew to please their parents " he smirked " you have a point " she watered the roses " glad I did " she responded with ease 
 
 
"you are here !" he didn't remember how long he has been standing in the garden ,he focused on joohyun who was holding a towel " why didn't you come inside ?" he sighed " I was about,where are you going ? "
"washing my face ,I'll be back ,go inside  " he nodded ,he was a little tired from the ride but it worth it ,to see joohyun .it was a traditional korean house ,the room was small with no bed ,with a low table in the center as the only furniture ,he took off his jacket and loosened his tie .the sliding door opened ,and joohyun came in holding a tray " I thought you may be hungry ,I brought some food " she smiled as she put the tray on the table " let's sit " changmin just nodded and sat facing joohyun " how was your day changmin-ah  ?"she poured some soup on his plate " tiring " he tasted the soup ,delicious " I brought some suju ,it'll relax you a little " he nodded smiling ,joohyun always knew what he needed " yes ,please " he drank the alcohol in one gulp " I am really happy to be here with you ,it means a lot to me changmin-ah " 
" why ? I'll probably ruin your parents memorial" she frowned " why are you saying this ? "
"because you'll spend the day with the person that you hate the most ! " she shook her head " no ,I don't hate you on the contrary I .." she stopped mid sentence " you what joohyun ? " he was pleading her to finish her words ,he wanted to hear her say the things that he couldn't " nothing ,I am just saying that I don't hate you " she couldn't say anything, the look on his face frightened her " whatever " he poured another glass of suju ,it'll help ease his fire " I love the new car ,thank you changmin " she tried to cheer up the atmosphere " your welcome ,but you should thank yunho instead " the sarcasm in his voice was obvious " why ? he just helped me ,are you furious ? " 
"look joohyun I am tired ,I don't want to talk about your friendship with yunho! " his jealousy was getting over his mind " so you don't want me to be friend with yunho-sshi ,do you ? " he sighed and his expression softened " joohyun-ah ,I  want you to be careful ,you don't know what are the reason that motivate his friendship with you "
" but yunho-sshi seems to be a kind person " he smirked " you are too innocent joohyun-ah ,you think that all people are good" 
" don't worry about me arrasso ,I'll be okey " she was touched ,she never thought that changmin will worry about her " I hope so ,I really hope that you'll be " he smiled and leaned closer but the table stood between them ,he took a lock of her hair .She froze ,wide eyed " I wish you can see me joohyun-ah " 
" what do you mean ?" she was confused ,he took a deap breath and withdraw his hand " let's go sleep ,tomorow we'll go to your parents grave " 
" I'll bring a blanket for you " ,changmin blamed the alcohol for his behaviour ,he can't lose controll : he have to spend the night in the same room as joohyun and not  do something stupid ,it will be hard ...
 
when the morning came ,changmin was finally relieved : he didn't sleep all night watching joohyun laying in front of him  ,many times he wanted to hug her and feel her body but restrained himself .she oppened her eyes solwely ,yawning " good morning changmin ,did you sleep well " 
" neh " she stood up " I am going to make breakfast ,ahjuma isn't at home today " he nodded " after breakfast we will go to visit your parents" her smile fadded " arrasso ",it hurts him to see her like that ,but couldn't do anything,last night was the first time thay had a dinner alone : like a normal couple ,they shared the events of their respective day but  they weren't a normal couple .they had a contract that  linked them ,linked them ,a contract that he made to protect her from him :he didn't want her to be trap in this marriage ,he told himself that in two years he'll get over her ,he tried to convince himself that he loved jessica in vain : he'll never get over joohyun .
 
" do you think they are in a better place ? " he looked at her back she was placing some flower on her parents grave ,her mother's then her father's grave  " yes because they were good people" she sobbed silently but he heard her " but they left me " she coudln't breath well " they didn' t choose to ,they were forced to "he her back with his hand trying to soothe the pain " not like mine " she stopped crying and turned to him wiping her cheeks " chanmin-ah " 
"your parents were good to you joohyun-ah ,they loved you they didn't leave you because they wanted to " she bent her head " I am sorry ,I didn't mean " 
"don't be sorry for me ,I forget about them the day I stepped in the Shim's house" she didn't want to bring the past "I  didn't mean to hurt you changmin " 
"I don't want your pity joohyun ,I had enough of it from others " he turned around ,he wanted to leave he had enough ,he didn't like his past and it hurts him to see joohyun's reaction 'her pity' " why do you hate them so much ,I know they abandoned you when you were young but the shim's are good to you ,you have a familly so why you don't  let it go ?" he stopped " because they made a bad and selfish man of me " 
" why do you keep saying that you are bad ? " she was getting angry with his reactions ,why did he think that he was a bad person ? " I can't tell you joohyun-ah "
" but why ?" 
"you'll hate me and leave me ,like they all did " he turned around to see her reaction but she kept staring at him with her big eyes, mouth open " I am going first ,you can stay longer " he left without letting her speak or do something .
 
from afar ,yunho saw all the scene ,he saw changmin's angry face and joohyun's sad look ,it was the time he thought ,the time 
 
            to make his move