The Road to Recovery

Love Story

 

"Destroy it..."

MyungSoo held the chip in his hand and close his fist. This was the reason she was hurt. This was the reason for everything.

"It can't be destroyed but we will make sure it's in safe hands instead of inside YuNi." His father took his hand and pulls out the chip the size of a sd card.

"Why did her parents plant it inside her? What were they thinking?"

"They were trying to save her MyungSoo. Keep her safe for as long as they can."

MyungSoo ran his hands down his face and sighs. "It's over right? You will get rid of that thing and we will be safe right?"

"For now, but MyungSoo you have to understand we work for the government, it’s a dangerous job."

"I know, I just want her to live normally like she wanted."

"She will, nothing dangerous like this will happen again. Your mother and I decided to step down from our position and take in less treating projects. We have Tammy to think of and what happen to YuNi open our eyes."

 

Tammy ties a friendship bracelet around YuNi's hands and kiss it. It has been three days and YuNi hasn't moved a muscle. Tammy place YuNi's hand back to her side and jumps off the bed into her mother's arms to cry.

"Why won't unnie wake up?" Tammy cries into her mother's chest.

Mrs. Kim ran her hand through Tammy's hair to comfort her. "She will honey, YuNi is just tired. Let's go home and let her rest okay? We can come back tomorrow." She kiss Tammy and stood.

"Okay" Tammy wiggle out of her mother's arms and ran to YuNi and gave her a good night kiss.

"MyungSoo" Mrs. Kim started to ask if he would come home but MyungSoo knew her question before she ask and cuts her off.

"I'm staying." MyungSoo sat in his chair next to the bed and kept his eyes on YuNi.

Mrs. Kim looks at Mr. Kim concern about their son. MyungSoo hasn't move from his spot since YuNi got admitted into the hospital unless he had to use the bathroom. He hasn't eaten or change his clothes. He was still stain with YuNi's blood and refuses to change. It was a way for him to punish himself, remind himself what had happen to YuNi because he couldn't be man enough to ask her to stay. MyungSoo held her hand and squeeze it hoping she would squeeze back but nothing

Mr. Kim places his hand on MyungSoo's shoulder. "Okay, call us if anything happens."

MyungSoo nodded.

 

YuNi open her eyes to darkness. A shiver ran through her, the room was cold and the thin blanket on her didn't help much. YuNi look to her left and saw an outline of a person sitting in the chair with their head back and arms cross. YuNi sat up and look around for a light switch. There was on right above her and she press it. A low dim light turn on and MyungSoo came into view, he didn't move. He looked tired. YuNi pouts, she had cause him so much worry the least she could do was let him sleep. YuNi reach for the light again and it turn off. The door creeks open and a nurse poke her head through.

"You're up."

YuNi puts her finger to her lips. "Shh, he's sleeping."

"I'm more concern about you. You've been asleep for three days young lady." The nurse walks in.

From the corner of YuNi's eyes she could see MyungSoo moving in his seat.

"I'm okay, can you come back at a later time?" YuNi turns to MyungSoo and held her breath. He was scrunching his face as if he was going to wake up.

The nurse switch on the light. "I have to follow procedures and take your vitals and inform the doctor you are awake before I can leave you alone."

MyungSoo grunts as he sat up straight and rubs his eyes. He looks over to YuNi. "YuNi!" He jumps up off of the chair and ran over to her. "YuNi" He held her face and examines her to see if he was seeing correctly. "You're awake." He let out a breath in relief.

YuNi nods trying her best to smile at him and his worried expression.

The nurse stood next to them with arms cross unhappy. "I'm sorry to interrupt but I have a job to do."

MyungSoo looks at the nurse. "Sorry"

He lets go of YuNi and let the nurse do her job.

"How are you feeling YuNi?" The nurse asks as she finishes writing down YuNi's vitals.

"Sore, tired, hungry and very thirsty."

"I'll go get you some water. We have to let the doctor come and see you before I can give you anything to eat. While I go fetch your water rest some more." The nurse tucks YuNi in and headed out the room.

YuNi looks over at MyungSoo after the door closes. He was in his seat again fingers lace together and head down. He was a mess.

"MyungSoo" YuNi calls him.

MyungSoo looks up with red tired eyes.

"You look horrible."

MyungSoo smirks. "Thanks for noticing."

"How long have you been here?"

"Since you been here." He lowers his head again unable to look at YuNi. "I die a million times watching you. YuNi...I was so scared. You could have been dead. I'm sorry."

YuNi could hear the pain and horror in his voice. He was blaming himself. "It's not your fault MyungSoo."

"Yes it is. If I...if I had just tell you the truth. If I just asked you to stay...you wouldn't have to go through that kidnapping and you wouldn't have been shot."

"MyungSoo" YuNi swings her legs off the bed and slowly walk over to him. She kneels down and cups his cheeks to lift his face up. "Please don't blame yourself."

He shook his head as tears fell. "I'm so sorry."

"No, MyungSoo please don't do this." YuNi held his face tighter to make him look at her. "It's not your fault. I trusted Mir and I let this happen to myself. It's not your fault MyungSoo." YuNi lets go of his face and threw her arms around his neck hugging him. "Don't blame yourself."

MyungSoo held her and buried his face into her neck. It felt so good to have her in his arms and it scared him to death as well. What if she didn't want to stay? No! That wasn't going to happen, YuNi was never getting the chance to run away again and MyungSoo was going to make sure of it even if he had to stalk her to the ends of the earth to find her. She was his, he vow to protect her, he made a life time promise to her in front of both their family and he was going to keep it.  She was the one who held his heart and soul and he wasn't going to let her go again, he just have to find a way to tell her he had been given a second chance and he was going to take it.

 

YuNi stare out her window as the rain pour. She had been home for a month and no one would let her out of the house. They kept telling her she needed to rest but she felt like she over rested and was ready to get out. Mr and Mrs Kim had her parent's funeral all plan out and over with. The government had found the bodies and like her parents wanted they were cremated and were schedule to be spread out into the sea. They loved the sea and traveling so it was written down in a will that YuNi had no clue they had prepared. Everything was left to YuNi. She was the only daughter they had so it was expected. YuNi opens the window and reach out her hand to touch the rain drops. Time had flown by and she didn’t even remember winter ever being present. The weather was warming and the smell of spring filled the air. The last time she remember it was about to be winter.

The door to her room open and she turns. MyungSoo stood at her threshold with hands in his pockets. His hair was wet from the rain and his shirt had droplets of rain stain scatter around it. He had been running in the rain.

“Dinner is ready, mom cooked.”

YuNi turns back around to close the window and then back. “Where did you go? You’re all wet.”

“I just ran around the block to get some fresh air.”

YuNi walks towards him. “Can I come next time? I think I’m ready to get back to the real world. I can’t hide in the house forever.”

He nods. “If you think you’re ready.”

YuNi didn’t know what everyone was so worried about. She was fine, she was ready so why is everyone thinking she was not ready to be back out. “I am.” YuNi walks pass MyungSoo and down into the kitchen where she took her usual seat next to Tammy.

MyungSoo cleared the table as YuNi started on the dishes. She haven’t look or spoke to MyungSoo all through dinner. She wasn’t upset with him but she felt annoyed. She felt like he was being way too protective. She didn’t want to be shelter from the world.

“I didn’t mean to upset you earlier.” MyungSoo stood next to her rinsing.

“I’m not upset.”

“Yes you are. You’re not talking.”

“I am talking.”

“You’re mad. I can tell it from your tone.”

“I’m not upset.” YuNi pulls the faucet towards her and wash her hand. She pushes it back to MyungSoo. “Annoyed is the word.”

“I’m sorry.”

“STOP! Stop apologizing. All I hear from you lately is sorry, you don’t have to be sorry for everything MyungSoo.”

“I just don’t want you to feel uncomfortable.”

“Well news for you, this is making me feel uncomfortable. Saying sorry all the time and keeping me in the house is not making me feel comfortable.”

“I just thought you needed some time, I didn’t want to make you feel suffocated.”

“I know, your intention was for good but it’s time I start going out don’t you think? I mean I might go crazy if I stay in too much. I want to go back to school. Home schooling is fine but I need to be around people. I can’t be scared of people, I need to face my fears in order to go back to normal.”

MyungSoo sighs, he wasn’t too happy about letting YuNi go back to school. The whole school found out their real status and some of them weren’t too happy. “Let’s take this one step at a time. We can go walk around the block first, see how you feel. You can’t go back to school yet.”

YuNi rolls her eyes. “Fine as long as you are considering it.”

 

MyungSoo held the door open. She was going to do this, it was a sunny day, it was warm but not warm enough to go out without a sweater. YuNi zips up her sweater and took a deep breath before stepping out. She inhales the warm air and smile. She miss the outdoors. MyungSoo follows her out. He looks over to her.

“If you feel like you can’t take it then tell me. We can come back home.”

YuNi looks at him pouting. “You really think I’m going to break down?”

He shrugs. “I don’t know.”

They started walking down the road. It was Saturday and most people were still sleeping, it was eight in the morning. There were milk and news paper delivery people in the street and dogs wandering around for a morning stroll. YuNi inhale and then exhale. The environment was comfortable, like she thought it was going to be okay, she wasn’t going to break. She could walk out of the house and not worry about someone wanting to hurt her.

“You okay?”

MyungSoo’s words brought YuNi out of her thoughts. “Yeah, the weather feels good.”

“Can you believe we skip winter? I felt as if it was never here.”

“I can’t believe it either.”

They turn a corner and two guys were walking towards them. YuNi tense up and for a second she wanted to hold MyungSoo’s hand. Why was she so scared? She hated feeling pathetic and scared for no reason. YuNi held her head down and kept walking, she didn’t want MyungSoo to take her back home just yet.

MyungSoo looks over to YuNi, her face told him all he needed to know. She was being strong and she was scared. Even though she might not want to admit it she was not ready yet. She was still paranoid.

“Are you breathing yet?” MyungSoo ask as the two guys were far enough and YuNi’s body relax.

“Was I being obvious?”

“Your body tense up and you stop breathing, it’s obvious.”

“I’m okay.” YuNi breaths out.

“I know you are but its okay to be jumpy or tense. After what you went through its normal.”

All YuNi could do was nod and continue walking. Maybe he was right about her, maybe she wasn’t ready to step back into the world yet. When those guys came into her view she wish she would have stayed home, she didn’t even know that she was holding her breath until MyungSoo ask her.