Scumbag

Careless Whisper

   

    The sweltering July heat poured in through the 4th floor window of Hankyung’s hotel room, casting the bed in an intense light. It was only 9am and already the tiny room almost mirrored the outside in temperature. Leave it to Hankyung to get the room with the broken AC. He turned his back to the window and took in the sight of the sleeping form next to him. Heechul lay flat of his stomach with his head turned towards Hankyung. His lips were slightly parted, causing drool to seep onto his pillowcase. Hankyung had to admit he wasn’t the prettiest of sleepers.

    This was something else he and Heechul had that he and Siwon did not. Siwon never stayed the entire night. He’d always scuttle off to his own room after the fun was over. Heechul, on the other hand, liked to lie in bed and talk about whatever popped into his head until they both drifted off to sleep. Little beads of sweat were beginning to form along Heechul’s exposed back, letting Hankyung know he wasn’t the only one suffering in this heat. He was about the get up and try and pry open the window when there was a sudden furious knocking at his door. Hankyung rushed towards the door and franticly looked through the peep hole. Standing quietly in the hallway was Donghae.

  “Just a second,” Hankyung called to Hae, before turning back to Heechul’s sleeping form.

   He heard Donghae sigh loudly through the door before he called in response. “Hurry up it’s important.”

 

     “Heechul….,”Hankyung whispered as he pulled on a pair of discarded pants from the floor. “Heechul…,” But all he got in response was a harsh snore and some movement. “Heechul!” Hankyung tried once more, tossing a stray pillow in his direction.
 

    “What?” Heechul exclaimed, shooting straight up in the bed after the sudden cushion assault to the head.
 

      “Shhh…, Donghae's at the door. You have to hide.” Hankyung explained, throwing Heechul’s clothes at him it a messy ball. As the statement registered with Heechul, Donghae pounded on the door once more. “Get in the bathroom!”
 

     Heechul jumped gingerly from the crumpled bed and artfully slid into the bathroom just as Hankyung opened the door for Donghae.

   “So, what’s so important?”
 

    “It’s almost time to leave and we can’t find Heechul.” Hae sighed, stepping into the room. “Siwon’s been knocking on his door for 20 minutes.”
 

    “Uh….,” Hankyung began.

    Hankyung didn’t know what to say. It wasn’t like he could tell Donghae where Heechul was. A half Heechul locked in Hankyung’s bathroom, wouldthat look suspicious. Much to Hankyung’s horror that’s just what stepped out of the bathroom door.

   “Uh….,” Hankyung managed to mutter in shock at the sight of a now wet towel rapped Heechul stepping into view.
 

    “Thanks for letting me use your shower. “Heechul began, pushing his way into the hallway. “Mine was doing all kinds of weird this morning. Oh, hey Fishey.” He finished giving Hankyung a wink and sauntering across the hall to his own room.
 

    “Well, I guess that mystery is solved.” Donghae laughed, heading back down the hallway. “You better get dressed we have a fan meeting thingy in a couple of hours.”
 

     All Hankyung could do was stare in astonishment at what had just played out. That was way too close.
 

      A couple hours later the guys were roaming around a local club across town getting ready for a meet and greet. They had a show that night and were here to have lunch with a few contest winners. Hankyung loved spending time with his fans. It made him really appreciate what he did. Not to mention, it also helped take his mind off other things.
 

     He sat at one of the club's tiny booths talking a professional looking girl in a red jacket. She looked to be in her early twenties, with her dark hair pulled up in a high ponytail and a pair of wireframe glasses perched on her thin nose. Needless to say, she didn’t look like your typical SuJu fan. He believed she’d said her name was Tara.
 

    “So what kind of work are you into?” Hankyung questioned, fiddling with the coaster in front of him. He wasn’t the best at small talk, but the fans seemed to appreciate it when he seemed interested in them.
 

    “I’m a student.” She chirped in a soothing voice. “I’m studying to be a psychiatrist. There’s just something about the way the mind works and the complexity of human relationships that astonishes me.”
 

    “Tell me about it.” Hankyung sighed absently.
 

   “You know you’re a lot more handsome in person.”  Tara smiled at him sweetly. He was used to these types of comments so her statement slid through his troubled mine like butter. After a brief moment of silence Tara spoke again. “Are you ok? You seem distracted.”
 

     “What?” Hankyung stated, pulling himself out of his thoughts. “Sorry, I was just pondering the human relationship.”
 

    Tara laughed and batted her eyes suggestively. “Are you having relationship problems? Maybe I can help? I’m actually currently enrolled in a class that deals with the ual aspects of the brain.”
 

     Hankyung wasn’t sure how to respond to this. She was either genuinely interested in his problems or she was trying for subtle flirtation. He decided to go with the first one since his plate was already overflowing with flirtatious creatures.
 

    “Actually I have a theoretical question for you. That is, if you fill up to It.?”
 

    “Shoot.” Tara agreed “I need all the practice I can get.”
 

   “Ok, so there’s this guy and he’s involved with two different people at the same time.”
 

   “Scumbag,” Tara answered before he had a chance to finish.
 

    “No, he truly cares for both partners, but at the same time he can’t figure out what his relationship with each one is truly about.”  This explanation didn’t seem to satisfy her either.
 

    “Ok, personally I think this guy sounds like a narcissistic creep. Professionally….,” She seemed to be calculating her response. “I’d say look at both relationships. Try and analyze the good and the bad aspects, taking into consideration the repercussions breaking it off would have. Staying with both people is neither fair nor good for anyone involved. Is it worth hurting everyone?  I’d have to know more about the nature of each relationship to give real advice, but I think this fictional person should get what’s coming to him for leading two adoring women on like that, don’t you think? Or one could say, he’s just a hopeless victim of passion. Yeah right!”
 

    Hankyung could feel his face going pale as Heechul came over to switch fans with him. Tara rose from the booth and warmly followed Heechul back to his table. Hankyung didn’t even notice the person who now sat across form him. He was too distracted by Tara’s words. Was she right? Was he just a scumbag that should get what’s coming to him?  Right now he felt like the hopeless victim.