Race

Careless Whisper

 

    “This is so stupid,” Heechul mumbled, unlocking his apartment door and stepping inside. “It’s just another over dramatic meltdown. It’ll blow over in a few days.”
 

    Heechul hobbled over to the sofa and plopped down dramatically. There was no point in chasing after Hankyung. Leeteuk and Siwon would bring him back. The truth was, Heechul had forgiven Hankyung in his heart weeks ago, but his mind had other plans. He just couldn’t grasp trusting him again. What if he did forgive him and give Hankyung another chance?
 

    Heechul couldn’t go through another broken heart. Hankyung didn’t deserve that type of power over him. But, was his fear worth the future of the entire band. The rest of the guys deserved better than that. It wasn’t their fault this entire situation had happened. The blame belonged to Hankyung, Siwon and himself.  
 

    They’d known better than to get involved with another member of the band. That never led to anything good. But, Heechul didn’t regret what he had done. Those few short months he and Hankyung had spent together had been some of the happiest he’d ever had. He liked going about his day knowing there was someone waiting for him at night, someone who cared for him deeply.
 

    That was part of the reason why it hurt so bad to see Hankyung and Siwon together. It was as if all of Heechul’s thoughts and feelings for those happy months were based on a lie. Hankyung hadn’t been sitting around thinking about him, he’d been having with Siwon instead. It wasn’t Siwon’s fault that Hankyung couldn’t keep it in his pants, though. He couldn’t really be mad at Siwon. He was in the same boat, so to speak.
 

   Heechul stifled a yawn and reached for the TV remote as the phone began to ring loudly.
 

    “I’m not home…,” He grumbled, flipping on the television, but the phone continued to ring. “Oh Hell,” Heechul groaned staggering towards the phone on the wall in the kitchen. “It might be important or something…, Hello?”
 

    “Heechul?” Leeteuk’s voice answered from the other end. He sounded panicked and uneasy.
 

    “Leeteuk? What’s wrong? If this has anything to do with me and Han…,”
 

    “Just shut up and listen!” Leetuek ordered. “There’s been some kind of accident down here at the airport. I can’t find Hankyung anywhere. I think he might have been hurt…!”
 

    This can’t be happening, Heechul thought, bolting towards the door as fast as his injuries would allow. He may be angry at Hankyung, but in no way did he wish anything bad to befall him. Sure, he’d made some stupid choices. He’d totally disregarded the thoughts and feelings of the people around him, but….?
 

    Had Hankyung’s actions really been completely selfish? Yes…,No…?  No, they’d been for Siwon and his sake as well. As Heechul tried desperately to make his way across town he started to imagine what it had been like in Hankyung’s shoes. According to Hankyung, he had been with Siwon for weeks before he and Heechul had even began to flirt with each other. Maybe it had started out as polite interest, but…,
 

     That was it!  Hankyung had realized his feelings for Heechul while he was still with Siwon and he had tried to avoid fallout on either side by extended the relationship longer than if should have been. It had all the logic of one of Leeteuk’s master plans, Heechul concluded. How had he been so blind to what was happening around him? Love can be a funny thing sometimes.
 

     None of that mattered now. Hankyung was in pain somewhere. Leeteuk’s words had been bit cryptic, but the message had been clear. Had this been how Hankyung felt when he heard about Heechul’s accident? At that moment in time he would have said no, but his new epiphany made him think otherwise.
 

     Heechul entered the Gimpo international terminal at the air port in a panic. He didn’t know what he was going to find waiting for him on, he just hoped it wasn’t what he feared. Upon reaching the security check point, Heechul franticly darted his eyes around the all too calm terminal. There didn’t seem to be any accident here.
 

      Was he at the wrong air port? No, this was the right place because standing a few yards away was Leeteuk and Siwon. They stood in an eerie silence, staring towards a cluster of EMS workers pushing several gurneys towards the exit. What had really happened here?
 

    “What happened” Heechul questioned approaching the spot where Leeteuk and Siwon stood. “Where’s Hankyung?”
 

    “He’s gone…,” Leeteuk whispered solemnly. “Hankyung’s gone…,”
 

    “What?” Heechul panicked, dropping to his knees. “Hankyung’s dead!!!”
    This couldn’t be happening. Was Hannie on one of those gurneys. Did some crazy fan shoot him?! That didn’t make any
sense. There would be police here and….? What the hell was going on?
 

   “Heechul,” Leeteuk spoke, kneeling down in front of him. “Did you here what I said? Hankyung’s gone. You missed his plain.”
 

   “Huh? I don’t understand. I thought you said there was an accident?”
 

   “I did.” Leeteuk answered. “It was the only way I could think of to get you down here, but you were so slow getting here Hankyung already left.”
 

    “So, there was no accident. Hankyung’s perfectly fine.”
 

   “Yep,”
 

   “You might want to move before I strangle you!”
 

    “Hey, at least this proves one thing.”
 

   “And what is that?”
 

   “You still care about him.”
 

   “Well, that does me no good now that you guys let him leave.”
 

   “We did not let him leave. We did everything but strap him to the floor to get him to stay, but we’re not you.”
 

   “Hey guys,” Siwon piped in from his new position next to the plain schedules. “It looks like Hankyung has to switch plains at the Incheon air port because of whether delays in China. If we hurry, we can drive from Gimpo International to Incheon before the delay is lifted.”
 

    “So, we can head him off.” Leeteuk answered, sprinting over to where Siwon stood. “But, that Air port’s on the edge of the city. We’ll never make it there in time.”
 

   “We can if we speed.” Siwon answered turning, around. “Ok, Heechul are you coming…? Where’d he go?”