I'm sorry and goodbye

Careless Whisper

    “I don’t understand it,” Leeteuk began as they all piled into his apartment. “Why didn’t Heechul show up at the tair port?
 

   “Yeah,” Siwon continued “I thought for sure that’s where he was going when he disappeared like that.”
 

   “Well,” Hankyung added. “Maybe he got lost or something? At least he showed up at the first air port to stop me. That still proves something, even if he was late.”
 

   “Uh…,” Siwon stammered as everyone took a seat in the living room. “Leeteuk?”
 

    “What?”
 

   “I think you should tell him what really happened.”
 

   Leeteuk gave Siwon an irritated glance then turned towards Hankyung. “Well…, Heechul didn’t actually show up to stop you from leaving.”
 

   “What do you mean? Eunhyuk said…,”
 

   “Hey, don’t drag me into this. I just now figured out what’s been going on for the past few months.” Eunhyuk answered, giving everyone an angry expression. “I still want to know why I was left out of this entire situation.”
 

   “Later,” Leeteuk answered, turning his attention back to Hankyung. “Look, Heechul did show up at the station, but it wasn’t to stop you. I kind of called him and said you’d been in a freak accident.”
 

   “What?”
 

   “It seems the only reason he showed up was because he thought you were dead.” Siwon answered.
 

   “Well…,” Hankyung sighed “That only proves that he cares whether or not I die. At least it’s a start.”
 

   “He’s your best friend, of course he’d care if you were dead.” Eunhyuk interrupted. “There is nothing in this world you could do that would make that man hate you that much.”
 

    “By the way Heechul’s been acting ever since he caught you two together, you wouldn’t know it.” Leeteuk concluded. “But, I think Heechul’s beginning to realize that when someone really loves you, they will never hurt you. And if they do, you can see it in their eyes that it hurts them too.”
 

   “You’re quoting again aren’t you?” Siwon laughed.
 

   “He may be quoting, but those few simple words give me some hope.” Hankyung whispered. “I just want Heechul to realize that he’s not the only one hurting.”
 

   “I think he knows.” Leeteuk replied. “Just look at his eyes when he’s around you lately. What do you see?”
 

   “Anger…,”
 

  “What else?”
 

  “Pain and…,” Hankyung’s thoughts drifted back to the look Heechul had given him the other night at dinner. “He knows.”  Hankyung stood slowly and retreated towards the hallway. “I’m going to go lay down. It’s been a long day.”
 

   “Do you want me to call Heechul and tell him you didn’t leave?” Leeteuk questioned.
 

   “No…,” Hankyung thought a minute then added. “We go into studio in a couple of days. Let him find out then.” Then he turned and left the room.
 

     Hankyung entered Leeteuk’s guestroom and quietly shut the door behind him. It had been a long dramatic day and he was beat. Flopping down on the bed he picked up his cell phone from the night stand and turned it on. Leeteuk really needed to invest in a clock in here. Hankyung had no Idea what time it was, only that it had been quit dark when they’d arrived home. After a few moments the phone flared to life revealing that it was almost midnight.
 

    “No wonder I’m tired.” Hankyung sighed, turning over onto his stomach and burying his face in a pillow. Beep…Beep…Beep…, Hankyung’s phone sounded loudly into the silence of the room, signaling the presence of a new voice mail message.
 

   “Who in the world?” Hankyung grumbled, turning over. “All the people I talk to are either here, clueless or mad at me.”
 

     He contemplated not even looking at his phone until he got some rest, but something told him otherwise. Fumbling blindly Hankyung removed his phone from the bedside table and flipped it open. “5 new messages…,” Holding down the #1 button he held his phone up to his ear.
 

   “If I never met you, I wouldn't like you. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't love you. If I didn't love you, I wouldn't miss you, but I did, I do and I will.” Heechul’s voice sounded into Hankyung’s ear, causing him to bolt upright in the bed. “Look what you did. You have me sounding like Jungsoo….,” Heechul chuckled nervously. “I know you’re halfway home by now and this call is coming way too late but…,” Beep!
 

    “End of message. To keep this message new press…,” Hankyung quickly pushed the #7 key and kept listening. “Next unheard message…,”
 

   “Wow, they really don’t give you much time to talk on these things. Anyway, I just want you to know that I understand why you left and if you feel like this is the best option for you, I understand. But, Hankyung I…,” Beep!!
 

   “For Christ’s Sake,” Hankyung exclaimed, punching another key on his phone.”
 

   ‘”Is it me or was that last one shorter than before?” Heechul sounded as irritated as Hankyung felt. “Never mind, I just wanted to say that…, I…., I…., forgive you and time will make you forget me but time will make me love you more than before. I’m quoting…,” Beep!!
 

   “Ok, this is the last one I promise. I’m not trying to get you to come back. If you want to leave, who am I to stop you? Honestly Hankyung, I never stopped loving you, even after I saw you with him.” Beep!!
 

    “Come on!!” Hankyung yelled wanting to launch his phone across the room.
 

    “What was I talking about? Oh right…, so, I tried to be angry and push you away like one’s supposed to do when they find they’re boyfriend with someone else. Well, we weren’t really together, but that didn’t matter to me. It's like my mind knew what was right, but my heart was being retarded and still cared…, still cares. What I’m really trying to say is…, goodbye…,” Beep!!
 

    “End of new messages…,”
 

   By this time, tears were streaming down Hankyung’s face. Heechul’s words had caused emotions to stir within him that he never imagined he could feel again. Yes, Heechul had been saying goodbye, but he had also said that he loved him. Wasn’t that what truly mattered? Launching himself off the bed, Hankyung bolted from the room and towards the front door.
 

   “Wait,” Leeteuk called, running from the living room. “Where are you going? It’s after midnight.”
 

    Hankyung didn’t answer. Instead he grabbed his jacket from the hall closet and headed out the door. He didn’t care if Heechul was asleep right now. He had to see him tonight. The longer he waited, the more time Heechul had to build a wall back around his heart. He thought Hankyung had left. Logic dictated he’d be trying to burying his feelings.

    When Hankyung reached his former home, he didn’t bother knocking. If Heechul was asleep, he didn’t want to irritate him by making him get up and answer the door. Instead, he used his key to quietly let himself in. The main living area of the apartment was pitched black, letting him know that Heechul had already turned in for the night.
 

    Down the hall there was a faint flickering light coming from under Heechul’s bedroom door. Hankyung smiled remembering how Heechul would always fall asleep with his TV on. Siwon used to get so annoyed by having to go and turn it off every night. Taking a nervous breath, Hankyung made his way down the hall towards Heechul’s room.
 

    Pausing for a split second, he gazed into the darkness of what used to be his own room. Moonlight beamed in through the open curtains to reveal things to be exactly the same as he had left them. He thought for sure Heechul would have taken a wooden bat to his room after he left.
 

      Upon reaching the end of the hallway, Hankyung gently nudged Heechul’s door, causing it to slowly swing open and Heebum to scurry past his feet. Just as he expected, lying unconscious in the blue glow of the television was an unconscious Heechul. The covers were tangled wildly around his half body, one hand hung recklessly off the side of the bed and lying on the floor beneath his hand was a photograph.
 

    Hankyung carefully entered the room and picked up the photo Heechul had been holding earlier. Nestled in a petite gold frame was a snap shot of Heechul clinging to Hankyung like a flirtatious girl in front of their apartment building. Hankyung remembered the day Siwon had taken this. It was the first day they all moved into the apartment. Everyone had been so happy to be finally be a part of the company and beginning their lives together.
 

   Hankyung was marveling over the stupid hair cuts they used to have when, Heechul began to stir. Snoring loudly, Heechul turned over putting his back to where Hankyung stood. Maybe he should wait until the morning to speak to him? It seemed a shame to try and wake him and Hankyung himself was also quite tired. As he placed the photo back onto the carpet and quietly began backing out of the room, Hankyung’s cell phone began piercingly ringing into the relative silence of the room. It was probably Leeteuk wondering where he’d ran off to in the middle of the night.
 

   The sudden blaring noise caused Heechul to shoot straight up in his bed. Hankyung tried desperately to silence his phone, but it was too late. A half conscious Heechul was now staring at him.