A plan

Careless Whisper

 

    “You’re bedroom is way too white…,” Hankyung groaned shuffling into Leeteuk’s livening room and plopping down on the sofa. “I mean white walls, carpet, furniture and computer…, I think it’s time to admit you have a problem.”
 

    “I’ll admit I have a problem when you move back into your apartment and talk to Heechul and Siwon again.” Leeteuk laughed from behind to counter that separated the kitchen from the living room. “I made coffee and I’m toasting a bagel. You want one?”
 

   “Yeah…,” Hankyung sighed, sinking back into the soft coach cushions and taking in the soothing aroma of fresh brewed coffee. “How can you be so cheery in the morning?”
 

   “Because it’s 11am, half the days already gone.”
 

   “Oh, it seems a lot earlier.”
 

   “That’s because you were up half the night. What were you doing anyway?”
 

   “Trying to figure out how to apologize to Heechul without looking like a pathetic loser or a jerk. I mean he’s been home for almost three weeks and still won’t answer my calls.”
 

   “You tried to call him…?”
 

   “Ok my feeble text messages.”
 

   “That sounds more like you. Hankyung, we go into the studio next week. If you two aren’t on speaking terms it’s going to make recording difficult, to say the least.”
 

    “He crashed his car because of me,” Hankyung laughed “I don’t think he’s going to talk to me anytime soon.”
 

   “Technically, he crashed because he was too dense look where he was going.” Leeteuk chuckled, then his face turned serious. “I’m not going to excuse what you did, but at this point Heechul needs to it up and make the next move. He’s upset, but never before has he let his feelings hurt the band. Why should he start now?”
 

    “What, do you think he’s just going to ignore this whole situation and try and carry on with things? That’s almost worse that him not speaking to me.”
 

   “What do you mean?” Leeteuk questioned, handing Hankyung a hot cup of coffee and taking a seat next to him.
 

   “At least when he’s not speaking to me I know what he’s thinking. If he were to act like this never happened, I wouldn’t know if he were putting up a fake face or being genuine when he spoke to me.” Hankyung explained, taking a cautious sip of his coffee.
 

    “I see what you mean. That won’t be good for either of you. What shows on the surface rarely reflects what’s on the inside.”
 

    “You sound like a bad movie quote.”
 

   “Sorry, I was just playing things out in my head. I’ve got it…!”
 

    “What?”
 

    “Nothing, the less you know the better.”
 

    “Leeteuk, don’t play games with me. What are you planning?”
 

    “Nothing…, nothing…, I just need to make a phone call.” Leeteuk answered, eagerly bouncing down the hall to his bedroom and shutting the door.
 

   “I hope he knows what he’s doing…,” Hankyung laughed, worry hanging in his voice. 

 

    “This plan will never work in a million years.” Hankyung stated as he followed Leeteuk through the aisles of the local grocery store.
 

   “Don’t be so pessimistic,” Leeteuk answered, thumbing through a shelf full of different types of pasta. “This plan isn’t perfect, but it will provide you with a way in. It’s up to you to come up with the rest.”
 

      “How is me cooking a romantic dinner a way in?”
 

    “Everyone knows the only way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.”
 

    “What? That doesn’t make any sense. You’re quoting again.”
 

    “It doesn’t matter if it makes any sense. If you haven’t noticed this entire situation lacks sense.” Leeteuk answered, tossing about five different types of pasta boxes into the cart.
 

     “You have no idea what you’re doing do you?” Hankyung laughed, looking down at the strange array of groceries in their cart.
 

   “No clue,” Leeteuk smiled. “But, that’s why I called…,”
 

   “What are you trying to cook exactly…?” Siwon’s familiar voice laughed as he turned the corner into the aisle and began poking around in their cart.
 

   “Siwon…,” Leeteuk finished. “I was thinking something simple, like some type of pasta.”
 

    Hankyung’s eyes widened at the sight of Siwon. The last real conversation they’d had had ended in a black eye. Why was he agreeing to help them all of a sudden?
 

    “I know what you’re thinking,” Siwon sighed, looking at Hankyung. “And I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have punched you.”
 

    “Wait, why are you apologizing to me?”
 

    “Because I realize that what you did wasn’t that smart, but your heart was in the right place. I don’t like that I was lied to and ended up being an accessory to hurting Heechul…,” Siwon’s voice trailed off, his eyes moving to the floor. “This situation needs fixing and me holding a stupid grudge isn’t going to help things.”
 

    “Siwon…, I never knew you were so…,” Hankyung began.
 

    “Wussy..,”
 

    “Compassionate and strangely rational, Thank-you,”
 

    “Hey, I’m just trying to do what’s best for everyone involved and from the looks of things, that’s getting you and Heechul back in the…,”
 

   “We don’t need to spell it out.” Leeteuk interrupted. “Now, help me figure something out that Hankyung can cook without setting the entire building on fire.”

******************************************************************************************************************************

    “I still think this isn’t going to work,” Hankyung groaned tying a crisp white apron around his waist.

 

   “It will…,” Leeteuk reassured him as he stacked groceries upon the kitchen counter in Heechul, Siwon and Hankyung’s apartment. “Now, Siwon will be bringing Heechul back from his doctor’s appointment in about 30 minutes. That should be plenty of time for me to help you get things set up.”
 

    “What if he just bolts right back out the door when he sees me?”
 

   “Siwon can steal his crutches. Then he can’t run away!” Leeteuk laughed.
 

    “Be serious…,”
 

   “I am serious…,”
 

   “That’s what scares me,” Hankyung smiled, peering into one of the unpacked grocery bags. “What are the packs of scented candles and fresh roses for? You can’t eat that.”
 

    “To set the mood with,”
 

   “I want the mood to say “I’m sorry. Please speak to me again” not “Let’s have .””
 

    “That would be one way of making up,”
 

    “Again, be serious,”
 

    “Again, I am,”

    Around 20 minutes later Hankyung had the pasta boiling, garlic bread baking and was working on an elaborate heart shaped cookie experiment. Leeteuk had been busy as well. He had managed to sprinkle the dining room table and all the living room furniture in rose petals, as well as create a small bond fire out of vanilla scented candles.

 

      “You don’t think this is a bit much and a smidge cheesy?” Hankyung asked, poking the last chocolate chip into his “I’m sorry” message upon the desert.
 

   “When dealing with Heechul, everything is a bit too much and a smidge cheesy.”
 

    That made Hankyung Laugh. “Isn’t that the truth..?”
 

   Leeteuk’s phone began to vibrate upon the coffee table as he lit just one more candle. He picked it up and flipped it open.  “They’re in the elevator.” Leeteuk explained. “I told Siwon to text me when they were close.”
 

    “Now what?”
 

    “You continue fixing dinner. I’m going to leave.”
 

   “Wait, I don’t think I can do this. How about you and Siwon stay for moral support?”
 

   “That would defeat the entire purpose of my plan.”
 

    “Which is…?”

    “To get you and Heechul to…,” Leeteuk stopped and turned towards the sound of a key turning in a lock. “They’re here.”
 

    The front door swung open and Siwon escorted a pitiful looking Heechul into the room. Tears formed in Hankyung’s eyes as he watched Heechul hobbled towards the sofa on his crutches. Those tears quickly dried up when Leeteuk and Siwon bolted from the apartment, leaving a very confused Heechul standing in front of the rose petal covered sofa. At the sound of the front door closing, Heechul’s head swung up and his eyes fixed on Hankyung standing behind the Kitchen counter.
 

   “Ummm…,” Hankyung stammered. “I hope you’re hungry?”