Nightmare

Careless Whisper


We could have been so good together. We could have lived this dance forever, but now whose going to dance with me?
Please Stay……………,

     Cold rain poured from the sky as Hankyung stood motionless in front of the open earth before him. This wasn’t how things were supposed to have gone. He never meant for it to end this way. One stupid mistake and his best friend was dead.
     
      I’m never going to dance again. These guilty feet got no rhythm…,
   
 It was his fault. He knew it now. Heechul wouldn’t have gone for that drive if they hadn’t of fought. He wouldn’t have been on at that intersection. He would still be alive. Was it worth it, Hankyung’s fun time? No, nothing was worth this.
    
    Though it’s easy to pretend I know you’re not a fool…,

   Now he would never get the chance to tell Heechul how he really felt. The entire time he was fooling around with Siwon, he was falling in love with Heechul. The frigid rain began to fall harder, turning the dirt hole into a muddy pit. All the while Hankyung’s heart was breaking.

     I should have known better than to cheat a friend…,
    
 The rest of the band stood around Hankyung with their heads hung in mourning. He wasn’t the only one grieving. Heechul had been something special to them all. He was their best friend, their roommate and their band member. Without him, the group was sure to fall apart.

     And waste this chance that I’ve been given…,
    
     Heechul was singing with angels now, looking down on all of them. His hatred of Hankyung must be so intense. Maybe he’ll have the ability to forgive him now. Maybe he can see into his heart from above and know how much he was hurting. This was the worst day of Hankyung’s life and he would never be the same ever again. Without Heechul around, there was no point in existing.

     Now I’m never going to dance again…,

 

   “Hankyung…?” Eunhyuk’s soft voice floated to him through the heartbreaking drizzle. “Hankyung…?” Hankyung didn’t have the strength to answer him. He didn’t have the strength do anything anymore.
 

   “Hankyung…?” Eunhyuk’s voice was growing in volume. “Hankyung…?” He could feel Eunhyuk’s hands on his shoulders gently shaking him. “Hankyung!!!!”  

      The way I danced with you…,



     Hankyung’s eyes flew open to reveal a panic stricken Eunhyuk staring down at him. The heartbreaking downpour had been replaced by a blinding florescent light and the mournful sobs had faded into a hypnotizing rhythm of a heart monitor.

 

   “It’s about time,” Eunhyuk sighed, stepping out of Hankyung’s view so that he was now starring at a white tiled ceiling. “You’ve been out for over an hour.”
 

   “What…,” Hankyung whispered, trying to sit up. “What happened?”
 

    “I have no idea. There was all this panic in the hallway because the guy down the hall went into cardiac arrest.” Eunhyuk explained. “We all came running out of the waiting room to see what was up and found you passed out cold in the hallway.”
 

   “Wait,” Hankyung croaked, finally managing to right himself in the hospital bed he’d been placed in. “What about Heechul?”
 

   “Why should you care?” A familiar voice scoffed sarcastically from behind the hospital curtain to his left. “You didn’t before I crashed into a pole.”
 

    “Heechul….?” Hankyung had never in his life be happier to hear that voice, even if it sounded angry.
 

    “Yeah,” Eunhyuk began. “He woke up about the time you passed out. The doctors said you’d probably fainted for lack of sleep or nourishment or shock or something…, I can’t really remember what they said exactly. So, they put in the extra bed next to Heechul and I’m supposed to tell them when you wake-up. They want to feed you or something…, By the way, when was the last time you ate anything or took a shower? You look like you were in an…,”
 

    “Accident…,” Heechul supplied.
 

    “Oh sorry…, I didn’t mean to…,”
 

   “No, it’s fine,” Heechul laughed. “I’m just glad to know I’m not the only one that looks like crap at the moment.”
 

   “Hey, Hyukjea…,” Hankyung began, slowly climbing out of the bed. “Could you give us a minute?”
 

    “Sure…sure…,” Eunhyuk agreed, inching towards the door. “I need to tell the nurses station you’re awake anyway.”
 

    Hankyung took a deep breath as Eunhyuk shut the door behind him. The silence that settled upon the room was almost unbearable. It had been that way for weeks, nothing but an ear splitting silence between Heechul and himself. If his horrific dream had taught him anything, it was to say what you want to say now, because you might not get another chance.
 

   “Heechul…,” Hankyung whispered, slowly pulling the curtain that separated them back. “I’m…,”
 

   “Don’t apologize to me.” Heechul cut in, drawing Hankyung’s gaze from the floor to his friend’s bruised face. “It’s too late for that.”
 

   The image of Heechul sitting in the hospital bed with his bandaged arm, swollen lip and broken ankle caused tears to flood Hankyung’s vision. He didn’t know if he was crying because he was happy to see his friend alive, or distraught over the state he was in. It was one of those few moments in his life where he didn’t know what to feel, what to do, or what to say.
 

    Heechul’s face softened a bit at the sight of Hankyung’s tears, but his eyes still held a hint of anger. “Hey, don’t you start crying. You’ll have me crying too and then where would we be?”
 

   Heechul’s semi normal statement caused a sorrow filled laugh to bubble from Hankyung’s throat. “You look like hell…” Hankyung laughed stepping closer to where Heechul lay.
 

   “You don’t look so hot yourself.” Heechul smiled in response. “Eunhyuk’s right, you do look like you were the one in the accident.”
 

    “I really am sorry.”
 

   “I told you, it’s too late for that. I know you’re sorry. I just can’t tell if you’re sorry that this whole mess has left you alone, made everyone hate you, or cause me to drive into a telephone pole because I was thinking about you?”
 

   “No, it’s not like that I..,”
 

   “Well, I guess I got one good thing out of this. I know now to never engage in heavy thinking while driving. Also, to never ever trust your best friend.”
 

   “You can trust your friends, Heechul. Just because I hurt you, doesn’t mean the others will. They care about you…,”
 

   “Like you were supposed to?”
 

   “I don’t know how many more times I have to say it. I care about you Heechul. It just got caught in-between two people I loved and didn’t know how to get out without hurting someone.”
 

  “Good job on accomplishing that goal,” Heechul laughed, turning his head towards the window. “And don’t tell me about how you loved us. You can’t give your heart away to two different people at the same time. It doesn’t work that way.”
 

   “But, I didn’t!” Hankyung cried, rounding the side of the bed so he could stand between Heechul and the window. “Siwon is one of my best friends, of course I love him, but he doesn’t have my heart. That’s the one thing that no one else has ever owned except for…,”
 

   “Oh good you’re awake.” A feminine voice interrupted. Hankyung looked away from Heechul’s now tear stained face to the young blonde nurse standing at the door. “I’m here to take you down to the cafeteria and get some food in you. Stressful situations can cause our bodies to forget to tell us to eat, but they still need food. We don’t want you passing out again do we?”
 

   Now that she mentioned it, he was starving. “I’m coming…,” Hankyung sighed following the nurse out the door. Yet again his conversation with Heechul had been put on hold.