Chapter 1

So what if I'm not "feminine" enough?

 

"Take care of yourself there! Don't forget to lock your gates when you go to bed. Don't just eat chips! Don’t warm your water using the microwave oven! Remember to-" nagged my Mum as I quickly interrupted her.

"Aigo, I know I know Mum! Don't worry! I am old enough to take care of myself! Don't worry too much about me!" I said as I tried to convince my Mum that I would be fine.

As I witnessed each and every one of my friends embarking on different paths , in order to achieve their dreams, it indirectly exerted vast stress and pressure on me. Without realising, I found myself signing up for a scholarship to pursue my tertiary education in South Korea, for fun. Honestly I did not expect myself to be this lucky. Well, luck was not the only factor that helped me out of course. I certainly did work my off to attain that darn scholarship. It was not as easy as it sounded. I cried, bled,  lost a huge amount of hair and suffered immensely from tortutous insomnia due to it. What made it easier was that I was a citizen of South Korea myself; residing in Singapore due to my Dad’s career, so being able to speak good English and Hangul gave me an upper hand. The huge amount of hardwork as well as luck and miracles ultimately granted me a scholarship to read Economics in KonKuk University.  Lucky aren’t I?

"Aigoo! Our baby girl is so big already! I still can't believe it that you are going to be away from us! 3 years is a very long time! What should I do?" said my Dad as he pulled me in for a tight hug.

"Yah Appa! I am turning 20 next year! I jolly well know how to take care of myself! Don't you worry! Just think that I am going off for an excursion trip!" I said as I inhale his musky cigarettes smell for the last time.

"Yah, are you trying to kid me? You can't even cook a proper ramen! You even burnt your hand just by frying an egg! How can I not -" replied my Appa as he looked at me with whilst furrowing his dark bushy brows.

"APPA!! You just have to don't you? Aish!”  I replied angrily.

"Okay okay! I know you can survive! You have my traits, so of course you will!" said my father again as he pulled me in for a tight hug again.

I quietly snuggled into his arms as I basked in the tender comfort for the last time. I had always been a Daddy's girl. I would definitely miss him. Scratch that. I would definitely miss my loud and crazy family.

"Unnie! Find me a gorgeous Korean boyfriend when you are there ok! I am not that fussy! As long as he is tall, handsome, have an intoxicating smile, rich -" said my sister who is just 2 years younger than me.

"Yah! Are you crazy! That's like a freaking model! What makes you think that I am going to introduce you to someone like him if I ever find one! He would definitely be mine instead!" I said as i stuck out my tongue at her.

"Yah, are you trying to kid me? Who would fall for your boyish charm!" replied my sister.

"YAH YOU PABO!" I said as I tackled my sister. Unlike my sister, I am tad bit different. My sister was acutely feminine, cutesy and very girly like, while I'm blunt, sarcastic and well not quite that feminine? But it doesn't mean that I'm not straight! I still do prefer guys over girls, except that for now that issue does not really concern me.

"That’s good isn’t it because Hana, you can only get a boyfriend when you get that freaking degree!" said my father.

"Aish appa! You know I won't! Who would fall for me? The only time when boys fall for me is when they trip over my laptop charger!" I replied as I wave my hands indicating that there is no way that, ever going to happen.

"Aigo, you don't know what fate has for you my dear. You never know." said my Mum as she caresses my cheek with her thumb for the last time.

"Arra arra! Omma, Appa I should get going now! I will call you once I reach there! Provided that I know how..." I said as I recalled the time when I tried to call home during a school exchange program in Japan and couldn’t get through and only realising why it is so when I get back to my homeland. I did not enter the country’s code….Dumb is dumb eh.

"Okay honey! Take care!" said my Mum as she pulled everyone in for a group hug.

With a heavy heart, I pulled away from them and gave them a force bright smile. I hug them each once again and placed a kiss on their cheek. I walked into the departure area and turned back to look at them for the last time. I gave the staff my ticket and entered the departure area with a heavy heart.

This is it! This is the life that I have been looking out for, the chance for me to be independent. I have been dreaming about this life for a lifetime. I should not cry! This is it! Let's do this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the delay! Something bad happen :( I'll work harder for the next chapter! I know it is kind of boring :/