Chapter 4

The Story of Us

 

Jiyeon walked out of her brother’s room, and began walking towards the elevator. She pushed the button down the second floor. When the elevator’s doors eventually opened, she stepped out and headed towards her room. Once she turned the door knob and walked onto her room, she saw T-ae sitting on her bed. Her room is just simple it was painted purple. She had a king-sized bed and a flat screen TV, just like T-ae she had a lot of things hanging on her walls, but not famous bands. She hung her paintings. Art is her favorite thing to do, but nobody knows it except her family, T-ae and her art teacher. “How was your talk with your brother?” T-ae asked with no trace of guilt in her voice. She shut the door and leaned on the wall with one eyebrow raised and her arms crossed. “How did you think it went?”

“Fine…?” T-ae asked. “No, it didn’t go well at all, thanks a lot for leaving me with him,” she said pretending to be mad. “Really…?  I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to, your brother may be cute, but when he’s mad, he can be a monster.”

“Yeah I know. He gets like that when he’s angry,” she said moving next to T-ae. “So, did it really not go well?” T-ae asked. “No I was just playing, all we did was talk.” She told T-ae. “Oh, alright that’s not bad.” T-ae said, sighing in relief. “So, did you call your mom, about staying over?” she asked, knowing T-ae had a tendency to forget things. “Yup, I remembered,” T-ae said pointing her head. “Now, tell me.” T-ae said gripping Jiyeon’s arm in excitement. “Tell you what?” Jiyeon asked, playing dumb. “This is what you get for leaving me alone with my bother when his angry,” Jiyeon thought. “You know!” T-ae said, bouncing up and down on Jiyeon’s bed like a little kid. “Alright, I’ll tell you but first stop bouncing on my bed. You’ll break it.” She sighed as T-ae sat down. “Fine…” T-ae said, pouting. Then second later she became excited again but had to control herself to stop bouncing. “So, tell me!”

“Well,” she started, “you know what happened at the party, so I don’t have to repeat that part, right?” she asked, not wanting to tell the story for the third time today. T-ae nodded her head, and sent her a grateful look. “Okay, so after that I ran home crying, and…” she paused, a little tense as to what T-ae’s reaction would be to her next statement. “I told him that I wasn’t going back to school anymore.”

“Wait, you’re really not coming to school anymore? Why, not…?” Jiyeon shook her head at T-ae’s surprised look and smiled softly. “No, I can’t. Not until a month. I’d promised my mom to come back after a month so you don’t have to worry.” T-ae let out a sigh of relief and gave Jiyeon a brief hug. “Oh good, because I would miss you if you dropped out…”

“I know, and I would miss you too, but like I was saying before, I told my mom why I was crying and she let me drop for a month, but I’m going to have home tutor until then.” She explained before pausing once again. After a long period of silence T-ae look at her questioningly. “Yeah, and?” T-ae asked wanting her to continue explaining. “Well, I’m going to… change myself during that month.”

“Really…? That’s so cool, can I help with your make-up and hair. Oh, and don’t forget about clothes?” T-ae’s eyes immediately started glowing and she happily grabbed Jiyeon’s hand with a puppy dog expression. “Can I help you, please?” T-ae said, giving her a pleading look. “Fine, you can…” Jiyeon groaned, fruitlessly telling myself it was the last time she’d give in and knowing that was a lie. “Yes! I can’t wait until you come back to school looking as hot as I know you will!” T-ae exclaimed excitedly. “Yeah, well, I don’t know about hot, but at least I won’t be ugly anymore.” She conceded. That was all she really wanted, anyway. She hated being ugly and she didn’t really care if she’ll turned out hot or not.

“You will I promise you by the end of this month, you will be the hottest girl in our school.” She exclaimed knowingly. “Thanks, but we’ll see,” she said getting up, and going to her closet, pulling out a pair of sweats and a t-, “I’m going to get ready for bed,” T-ae pouted a little at how early it was before she nodded, knowing Jiyeon was tired from what had happened today. “Okay, I guess I’ll get ready too.”

“Are you going to use the bathroom?” she asked. “Cause, if you will then you can use it first. I just have to wash my face and brush my teeth. So, I’ll go after you.” She smiled. “Yeah alright, thanks.” T-ae said smiling before grabbing some of her stuff that she left at Jiyeon’s house for their sleepovers. She watched as she walked up to the door and pause mid-reach for the door handle. “What?” Jiyeon asked confused as to why she stopped. “What is your plan for Kris and Suzy?” T-ae asked, “You forgot to tell me that.”

“No, I didn’t.” she said shaking her head. “Yeah you did because I don’t remember hearing it.”

“That’s because I didn’t tell you yet. I don’t want you to find out until after this month is over.” As soon as she finished explaining T-ae’s face fell into a pout. “But-but why?” I want to hear your plan now!” T-ae protested. “Sorry, but for my plan to work, this whole makeover has to go well. I don’t want to jinx it by telling anybody yet, but I promise you’ll be the first one I’ll tell.”  

“Alright fine, but you better.” T-ae said pointing her finger at Jiyeon. “I will, now go take a shower or something.”

“Fine, I will.” T-ae said, opening the door, and marching in, dramatically. Once T-ae was safely in the bathroom, Jiyeon looked at herself in the mirror hanging by her bed. She glanced over her face few times and thought. “After looking at my face few times I felt like I really did look terrible, especially since my face was messed up from crying so much. No wonder people teased me so much. I couldn’t wait until the end of this month, because this will be the last time anyone would ever see UglyYeon.