Everything i've love become everything i lost

Blame

 

 

 

 

Hyunsuk walk dejectedly into the kitchen and found his sister Ga-in sitting at the table area. He pulled out a chair and sat alongside her.

"They’re sleeping," he said blankly.

"It's the best thing for them," Ga-in said as she study his older brother. "And you should too."

Hyunsuk look back at his sister. Was she really giving him an out from a conversation she must have known he didn't want to have? Maybe it was her own grief making her act uncharacteristically – but Hyunsuk didn't question her reasons too deeply. He gratefully took the escape he'd been given and got to his feet.

"I think you're right," he reply, heading towards the stairs. But then Ga-in's voice stop him in his tracks;

"I mean real sleep, oppa. In your own room."

He stood without moving and after a long moment his head dropped. He should have known that his sister would raise one of those subjects he was so loathe to talk about.

She knew that he hadn't been able to walk through to is own bedroom. Just the thought of doing so make his heart agony and he knew he didn't have the strength – physically or emotionally – to overcome this barrier.

Already he'd thought about how big the bed would feel without his beloved wife next to him; how vast, empty and cold it would be. And so much of his beloved wife would still be in their room: her gown on the pillow; her beauty creams on the nightstand; her jewellery on the dresser. And the scent of her would still linger behind that closed door.

He couldn't go in there – and he knew that his sister was fully aware of the fact.

Defeated, he returned to the kitchen table and sat down again. There was a cup of tea already waiting for him and he smiled sadly at her. Ga- in merely put her hand on his brother's arm.

"I know how much you miss her," she said controlling her sob. "But you have to be strong. Seunghyun is busy taking care of Seungri, but who's taking care of him? It's up to you to hold this family together."

Hyunsuk nod faintly – deep down recognising the true of her words. He admired at how his eldest son had made miracles to reach Seungri, but had barely spared a thought as to the toll it would be taking on him.

His ever-present guilt found a new direction. Now he had failed both of his sons.

"For goodness sake, please, stop beating yourself up." Ga-in said, easily reading her brother. She knew him better. "Stop thinking about what you've done, or haven't done and start thinking about what you need to do."

He bowed his head, knowing how right she was. And what he need to do was start making arrangements for his wife's funeral and start being a real father to both of his sons again. He will try and put their nightmare behind them and take the first steps towards getting on with their lives.

Each task felt impossible without his wife. Tears filled his eyes and he kept his head deliberately down. His sons were sleeping and he wouldn't disturb them – which left him with only one task he could take the first steps towards fulfilling. It was going to be hard, but he knew he wouldn't have to face it alone.

"Ga-in, will you help me?" he asked?"

 

 


 

 

Hyunsuk was sick to death of the crippling paralysis that took hold of him every time he thought of his now deceased wife; every time he had to take a simple step to their bedroom.

'Enough!' he silently said in his mid. 'It's time to stop making Seunghyun do this all by himself. Imagine what Ji-woo do if she is here.'

Hyunsuk winced inwardly as that thought struck; easily imagining his wife's disapproval attitude. She could convey so much without the need for mere words. And now he could easily imagine the expression on her face and the look in her eyes.

From the moment their sons were born, too Ji-woo, they had come first – unconditionally. And now it was up to him to continue her legacy.

"I'm sorry, honey," he murmured and making Ga-in look at him strangely. But he ignored it and swung the door open.

He walk inside and look around slowly, as though seeing everything for the first time.

The window was open, the curtains rippling lazily in the light breeze, bringing the fresh smell of cut grass in. He had been expecting mustiness and the chill of disuse, even though the room had only been unoccupied for a couple of days. The brightness shining in made it somehow easier.

Crossing to the bed, he paused to allow his fingers to brush over a silver-framed photograph on the nightstand; a photo of the four of them, taken when the boys were five and six years old. They all looked so happy. Hyunsuk badly wish to go back to such innocent times again.

He stood staring at the picture, lost in the memory, but then Ga-in clear softly and he looked up. His sister was standing by the closest and she held a dress in her hands. It was one of Ji-woo's favourites dress. Simple, yet elegant and stylish in black and cream.

Hyunsuk nod in approval as fresh tears misted his eyes.

That was the dress he choose for his wife funeral.

 

 


 

 

Seunghyun awake with a start. His neck muscles instantly cramping in protest at the uncomfortable position he had slept in. He didn't have that usual moment of blessed ignorance, wondering what might have woken him. Instead, he instantly knew.

The only reason he would be awake was because of his little dongsaeng.

Looking down at sleeping Seungri, Seunghyun inwardly winced when he saw the tear tracks on his face. He want to believe that the tears were remnants of Seungri's expression of grief, just before he'd fallen asleep – but the painful truth seemed to be that, for once in his life, his presence alone wasn't enough to give complete comfort to his dongsaeng.

Seunghyun stifled a sigh, biting down on the bitter disappointment he couldn't help but feel.

Then he heard;

"I'm sorry."

Seungri sounded so miserable.

So he answered in the only way he could: "You have nothing to be sorry for."

But Seungri was already moving up and pulling away from his hyung's embrace. "I'm sorry I woke you up, hyung." he said.

"You didn't," Seunghyun lied. And, though he didn't try and hinder Seungri's movements in any way – the last thing he wanted to do was feel like he was trying to restrain him – he didn't release him completely; but kept a strong and supportive arm around his dongsaeng shoulders.

Seungri didn't try to pull away any further – but he did keep his face away from Seunghyun; another worrying indicator that his perceived guilt was still in very real danger of tearing him apart.

Before Seunghyun could offer any reassuring words, Seungri speak again: "What time is it?"

Seunghyun glanced at the clock on the nightstand. "Nine," he answered, unable to keep the surprise out of his voice. They had been asleep for some hours. They both need the sleep and he glad that he awake the second Seungri need him.

"Are you hungry?"

Seungri did turn to look at his hyung – but Seunghyun instantly wished he hadn't.

His face was pale as sheet and panic was flash in his eyes.

"Seungri?" Seunghyun felt his own panic in the verge. What the hell had just happened? What had he missed?

"Seungri!"

When his dongsaeng flinch, Seunghyun forced himself to take a deep breath and then asked more calmly: "What's wrong, bro?"

Seungri reply in low, timid voice: "I don't think…" His look full of guilty.

"Why?" Seunghyun ask before he even considered how difficult the answer might be for Seungri. But it was too late to take it back.

"A-appa..." The word was inaudible spoken.

Seunghyun was so frustrated; all he wanted is to scream. Why did Seungri have to remember this now? Why couldn't he be allowed to fight just one battle at a time? Why can’t he just recover from what the psycho had done?

Helplessly, he looked at his dongsaeng. But Seungri had brought his knees up to his chest and laid his head on them – with his face turned away from his hyung.

And Seunghyun absolutely and honestly didn't know what to say.