Hell hole Part Two

Blame

 

 

Without warning, the noise was silenced and the lights went out. Seungri could have cried with relief. The formless noise interspersed with the damning words gave him no chance to think; no time to get his thoughts in order; no opportunity to try and actually remember.

All he had were the memories of what he had been told – and they were as conflicting as they were confusing.

Given peace and darkness, he finally had the chance to just try and think.

Come on, Seungri, he admonished himself. Remember! You must have seen another car; must have swerved. That's why you went into a spin! Remember!

"I have trained you in observation; in memory retention and recollection."

Seungri gasped out loud and sat bolt upright on the bunk. That had been his father's voice – and that was also a memory. Not a confused and uncertain memory, but one that stood out stark and clear in his mind.

There were techniques – techniques he knew well – and the first of those was to be calm and relaxed, in order to aid the memory. Seungri took a deep, steadying breath.

And then the lights came back on.

 


 

Silence descended on Hyunsuk's office, but it was destined not to last very long.

"Dammit," Hyunsuk cursed softly – almost under his breath. Then, louder, demanded: "What will they do?"

"They're on a manhunt," Police Chief Jin answered reluctantly, shaking his head as he did. "Escapees are bad publicity – especially when they go on to re-offend."

"So they will care about what happens to Seungri?" Seunghyun demanded. He'd been harbouring some totally unfounded prejudices concerning the special unit: that they would only care about 'getting their man'; that they would see his brother as collateral damage, or an ancillary casualty; that Seungri was merely a statistic to them.

"Of course they care!" The Police Chief's response was sharp – as though he had read Seunghyun's mind and was offended it would ever be considered that he would allow such a thing to happen. "Nothing's changed. Finding Seungri is still the priority."

Seunghyun felt a brief rush of immense relief – but then it was instantly quashed as his father snorted out a breath. That one sound was full of contempt and disbelief.

"As long as they bag Arashi at the same time," Hyunsuk muttered, darkly.

 


 

Seungri knew what was happening. The lights, the noise, their randomness and unpredictability were classic signs of enforcing sleep-deprivation. It was a well used technique for interrogation and torture.

But, though he knew it was happening, he couldn't counteract its effects. His eyes burned, his head ached and he wanted to cry as his exhaustion demanded that he rest – and yet outside stimuli denied him the escape.

At least this time he was spared the noise – and the damning words it bombarded him with. But the lights were so bright, they only intensified his headache and not even burying his face into the ratty pillow could block them out completely.

Plus, he was so totally on edge waiting for the noise to blast out again, he couldn't relax even marginally.

When sound did come, it wasn't the blaring noise he was anticipating. Instead it was the clang of his cell door and Seungri sat up, sharply. He hadn't heard the outer door open – hadn't even heard any approaching footsteps.

He turned around just in time to see Arashi’s partner retreating back.

Seungri frowned as his gaze travelled downwards and settled on more bread and water that had been left for him. They had left him another 'meal' – how long had he been there? Were they even following standard meal times? If so, was this breakfast, lunch or dinner?

He remembered his previous feelings of wooziness and again had cause to fear whether he was being drugged.

Fresh despair settled over Seungri as he surveyed the meagre fare. He'd been warned that if he didn't eat then he would stop being fed – and he presumed the same was true about drinking the water. A fact that his hyung had once told him leapt back into his mind: three minutes without air, three days without water, three weeks without food. That was the limit of the human body.

Seungri knew that the minimum time Arashi held his victims captive was only two days – and he could survive that. But the maximum, thus far, had been four. Four days without food would be crippling and painful, but it wouldn't kill him. Four days without water would.

So maybe if he just drank the water?

Seungri sighed. Surely it was easier to drug a cup of water than a slice of bread. And he wouldn't survive his captivity without water.

This internal argument with himself wasn't exactly helping his headache either.

Knowing that he was quite probably playing right into his captors' hands, Seungri decided that his only option was to both eat and drink. If nothing else, the food might help to keep his waning strength up.

And if he was being drugged, then there was precious little he could do about it.

When he'd finished, he glanced towards the toilet – but was hideously mindful of the camera in the corner of the room. He knew he was being watched and decided that he didn't need to go all that badly. Then, for lack of anything else to do, he lay back down on his bed.

 


 

Somehow, both Hyunsuk and Seunghyun got some sleep. It should have been impossible, but exhaustion won out.

Hyunsuk never once considered going to the bedroom he had shared for so many years with his beloved wife. He simply stretched out on the couch in his office.

Seunghyun had intended to retire to his own room. Then he took a moment to open the connecting doors between him and Seungri's room and the shared bathroom that separated them. He looked in on his brother's space – surprisingly tidy for the younger boy – and then found himself missing his younger brother with an intensity that was almost physically painful.

He didn't know where Seungri was; didn't know how he was suffering. And now the special unit was stepping in to take over their case. Though the police department was indulgent towards them being involved in certain cases but with the involving of the special unit, he guaranteed that he would be forcibly removed from the search for his own brother.

It felt like one hell of a betrayal.

Seunghyun wandered over to Seungri's bed. In keeping with the tidiness of his room, the bed was freshly made. Seunghyun idly wondered how much his mom had to do with that.

She nagged Seungri incessantly; she cajoled, pleaded and threatened. Sometimes it worked and Seungri would give his room a cursory tidy. Other times, she simply gave up and had a tidy round herself, before the mess got totally out of control.

A sob suddenly rose in his chest as his mom's death was suddenly, brutally shoved back into the forefront of his mind.

If Seungri's room got messy from now on, then it would stay messy.

Though they all had their share of chores – and, for the most part, carried them out – his mom was the one who held it all together. She was the one who had made the house their home.

Seunghyun kicked off his shoes and, fully dressed, stretched out on top of Seungri's bed and waited for sleep to claim him.

 


 

The noise started again the moment that Seungri laid back down on his bed.

Frustrated, exhausted and – above all – angry, he leapt up from the bunk. There was only one place for him to aim his anger at.

"What the hell do you want from me?" he yelled – looking upwards, into the security camera. He was certain – through recent experience – that it was being monitored, but he had no way of knowing if it was picking up sound as well. "Why are you doing this?" He banged his fists against the bars as he shouted. "Let me go, dammit! Or fight me! Fight me like a man!"

The unseen door slammed open at that exact moment and Seungri felt fear threatening to weaken him. He had demanded a confrontation and now he was going to get one.

Both Arashi and his partner came. They were bigger than him. There was also no doubt that they knew how to fight dirty. But Seungri refused to back down; that wasn't who he was.

So he clenched his fists and prepared for a fight.

He was doomed to disappointment.

Arashi’s partner entered first, his gun ready. He held it in both hands and had one finger on the trigger. His aim was low, but still threatening. Arashi sauntered in after him.

"Turn around and put your hands against the wall." Arashi's tone was both arrogant and demanding.

Seungri raised his hands almost automatically when confronted by the threat of the gun, but he made no immediate move to further comply. His fists were still clenched and adrenaline was running freely through his veins.

"Turn… Around…" The order was ground out again.

And then the gun went off. The noise made Seungri involuntarily cry out and left his ears ringing. The air was left smelling heavily of cordite.

"Next time, he won't miss." Arashi promised.

Having no other choice, Seungri slowly turned around and allowed himself to be handcuffed again.