Arrest me!

Blame

 

 

 

 

By the time they got to the precinct, the atmosphere in the car was beyond tense. It was strained and silent – the conversation having petered out some minutes before their arrival.

Hyunsuk had tried to talk to both of his sons, but Seungri wasn't talking to anybody and his mouth was set in a determined scowl; and Seunghyun was too busy trying to get through to his dongsaeng, to waste any time in answering him.

So Hyunsuk focused his eyes on the road ahead and stopped even trying to get a response from the back seat. But his ears strained to listen to his older's son low voice and he inwardly winced as each comment or enquiry – growing steadily ever more desperate – was met only by silence.

The questions had started out so simply, but had gradually grown in intensity: 'Are you okay there?'; 'How are you holding up?'; 'Are you sure you need to do this now?'; 'Why do you need to go there anyway?'; 'What are you going to do?'; 'What are you going to say?'

And then, eventually, even Seunghhyun ran out of words. His last two had been: 'Seungri, please.'

But his younger son had kept his gaze fixed steadfastly out of the window – and he never even acknowledged one of the questions asked of him.

And when Hyunsuk next glanced in the rear view mirror, he saw lines on their faces and shadows in their eyes – which should never have been seen on any teenaged boy.

Then he parked the car and turned around to look at his sons.

"We're here," he stated, simply.

And Seungri was out of the car before the words had barely even left his mouth.

There was no drama – no diving out of the car and wrestling his younger son to the ground. Instead, both Father and brother exited the car and followed Seungri. Without words – and without really understanding why – they flanked him as he marched through the doors.

But they both had to give it one last try: "Seungri…" They said, simultaneously.

They were both ignored.

So Hyunsuk dragged his cellphone from his pocket and made the call he should have made the instant of the drama at the traffic lights.

"Jin…"

It was all that he could manage before Seungri reached the desk and said:

"Arrest me."

 

 


 

 

'Hyunsuk? Hyunsuk!' Chief Inspector Jin's voice yelled from the phone's speaker – and was clearly audible in the hush that had suddenly fallen over the normally bustling room.

Hyunsuk stood with the phone held away from his ear and was looking at Seungri with utter compassion. He didn't know exactly what he'd been expecting to happen once they got here, but this certainly wasn't it. He'd anticipated something more dramatic – and definitely more impassioned. Maybe some heartfelt and desperate confession; maybe even some tears.

But his younger son was dry-eyed and stoic, his face devoid of any emotion. And he sounded incredibly calm.

"Arrest me," Seungri said again; this time holding out his wrists, as though waiting for a pair of handcuffs to be snapped around them.

Then Jin's voice again split the silence through Hyunsuk's phone: 'Hyunsuk, what's wrong? Where are you?'

It didn't quite snap Hyunsuk out of his stupor, but it did enough to reach him and he slowly lifted the phone back to his mouth.

"I'm at the police station," he said, his eyes not once straying away from Seungri.

And he closed the phone with an audible snap; knowing that the police chief wouldn't waste any time with further questions or demands. Not when all the answers he needed were just a few doors away.

 

 


 

 

Seungri could only watch in stunned disbelief, as the police office showed absolutely no reaction to his demand.

Instead, the man's eyes sought out someone else, his father.

"Sir?" the sergeant queried, sounding understandably confused. "What..?"

Seungri saw about a dozen shades of red.

"No!" he yelled. "Don't talk to him!" Still with a startling degree of rationality, he looked around; seeking a police who didn't know him or his family – as the police office obviously did – and so who wouldn't offer any preferential treatment.

"Listen to me!" Seungri could hardly believe what was happening. In his head, it had all played out so simply: he would be arrested and face his punishment. But that was all falling apart and he started to grow frantic. He had to be arrested. It was the only road open to him and the only way he could consider his future without being completely and utterly crippled by guilt.

"I'm a murderer! Arrest me"

There were shouts and denials from behind him, but Seungri successfully tuned them out – because Police Chief Jin chose that exact moment to arrive.

"Please arrest me!" Seungri rounded on him before he even had the chance to demand what the hell was going on – as they were guaranteed to be the first words out of his mouth – and Seungri was on the verge of desperation. Somewhere in his clouded and confused mix of memories and forced confessions, which he wasn't capable of identifying as lies.

The Police Chief had witnessed at least one of his interrogations – and Seungri grasped hold of that thought. It didn't matter that he couldn't remember him ever speaking; didn't matter that he was only – even in his mind's eye – a shadowy figure silently watching.

The Police Chief had been there – and he knew.

"Son…" Police Chief Jin grabbed hold of his shoulders – and then seemed to run out of words. He looked past him, to where Seungri knew his father stood.

Seungri had an inherent sense of right and wrong; he had an utmost understanding and respect of the law; he believed wholly in the criminal justice system and had nothing but respect for the police.

He never would have believed himself capable of what happened next:

Tearing himself free of the police chief’s grasp, he pushed the chief full in the chest – not with all of his strength, but with enough force to make the older man stagger back a step or two.

"Arrest me!" he demanded again and now he was begging – but, still, nobody moved.

He thought about swinging his fists; he even drew his arm back to do just that. But he was incapable of resorting to such an action no matter how desperate he might have been. He wasn't a thug and couldn't just lash out blindly.

Not knowing what else to do, Seungri turned and ran from the police station.

 

 


 

 

Seunghyun watched the drama unfold with a sense of complete disbelief – which quickly transformed into frustration and then helpless anger.

The rage was directed at his father who had grabbed hold of him and then refused to let go.

All he had was his voice and he'd tried to use it: at first placating, as had often proved successful in the past. His calm logic might have irked his younger brother, but it also got through to him more often than not.

But then he'd heard Seungri say: 'I'm a murderer' and all sense had been kicked into touch. He'd yelled out a denial and fought anew against his father’s restraint. It had been no use. The grip on him only tightened.

Even as he inwardly raged against his father, not a single curse towards him escaped his lips. He hated being kept from Seungri, but his infernal logic instantly provided him with the reasons why his father was behaving as he was:

Seungri was beyond thought and beyond reason. He was going to strike out at anybody who tried to stop him from his hell bent path of self-destruction. And that truth was reinforced when he shoved the police chief away from him.

If he had been the one to try and stop him – and if Seungri had raised a hand against him…

That was the one thing that his younger brother could never, ever fully recover from.

But when Seungri fled from the police station, there wasn't a force on this Earth that could stop him from following.

He was free without even knowing how he had gotten so and he left everyone – had he been there all along? – and about a half dozen other police trailing in his wake.

When they got outside, the sight they were greeted with stopped them all dead in their tracks.

 

 


 

 

Seungri, in spite of his concussion and in spite of his injuries, was swinging it around like a madman. His target was nearly new police car. And the car already had a massive dent in the passenger side door.

The second swing of the weapon made short work of the passenger window; the third took out the entire front windscreen.

"Why won't you arrest me..?"

Seungri wasn't shouting any more. He was on the verge of sobbing; of pleading. He hefted the piece of wood again and slammed it onto the car's roof. The blow must have been jarring and painful. Even in his highly charged state, Seungri staggered and almost dropped the makeshift weapon.

Then he hefted it again: "Please…" and took out the rear window.

Police milled around, looking uncomfortable and looking towards their police chief for guidance. Police Chief Jin looked on the verge of apoplexy and he nailed Hyunsuk with a laser-like glare.

Hyunsuk’s shoulders sagged and he was about to admit utter defeat, when suddenly a stray memory hit him: "I just had to take something out of the room with me." He knew what he had to do.

He took a deep breath and steeled himself for what was bound to follow.

"Do it," he said. "Arrest him." Ignoring his older son inevitable protest from next to him, he caught hold of his best friend’s arm: "Just don't specify the charges."

"Jae Sang!" The Police Chief snapped, without a moment of hesitation. "Do what he said. And make sure you read him his rights."

Jae Sang, having overheard their entire conversation, swallowed hard. This might not go down easily; especially if Seungri refused to relinquish his weapon. Piece of wood or not, it still had the potential to do some damage – and to more than a car.

But he'd been given an order and it was his duty to carry it out. He forced the fact that it was his best friend’s brother in front of him from his mind and took an assertive step forwards.

"Drop the weapon!" he commanded – and it was the same tone he would have used if he'd been facing a man with a gun. He had to distance himself. It was the only way he could possibly get through this. "Drop it! You're under arrest!"

The piece of wood clattered harmlessly to the floor and Seungri slowly raised his hands. Then, with slow and controlled movements, he placed them on the car's now dented roof.

"You have the right to remain silent…" Jae Suk approached Seungri slowly – and he risked a glance back over his shoulder. But Hyunsuk and the Police Chief were both talking quietly – but intensely – to Seunghyun.

He was on his own.

"Anything you say can and will be used against you…" He continued and then, not knowing what else to do, he followed procedure: as gently as he could – but unable to disguise what he was doing – he cuffed Seungri's hands behind his back.