XXVIII

Blame

 

 

 

 

 

Seunghyun snuggling through the doors of the emergency room without being anyone notice him. And once he was inside the area, nobody even looked at him as though he had absolutely no right to be there.

In fact, nobody spared him a second glance. Most people couldn't even afford him a glance. Everyone was moving with such urgency and he know that he was he was the only one who didn't belong there.

All around him were curtained off areas – and behind one of those curtains, he might find his brother. Or not. Seungri probably has been taken away for the multiple tests the doctor had explained to them.

He couldn't go blindly tearing the curtains aside, as much as he wanted to. He could definitely hear sounds of muted grieving coming from at least one of the bed. Death wasn't something he was prepared to go barging in on – not when he had so recently been a grieving himself.

And he had come too damned close to becoming one again.

Finally, fortune was on his side and he saw the female doctor that treat his brother emerge from behind a curtain – deeply engrossed in the file she hold. He call her and the doctor looked up sharply; a gasp escaping her lips.

"I need to talk to you." Seunghyun caught hold of her arm; bringing her to a stop. "It's about my brother…"

"I’m sorry, but you really can't be in here." The doctor look busy – distracted – and she flipped through the chart she held, even as she speak. "Your brother is having x-ray now and he's receiving the best of care."

"You don't understand." Seunghyun take a step beside the doctor. "My brother… He needs…" It was so hard for him to say the words– when even thinking them was incredibly painful. "He…"

"I’m sorry but you need to go back to the waiting area." The doctor was looking at him with barely veiled impatience. "Your brother is going to be fine."

"My brother need to be considered a suicide risk." He blurted the words out quickly.

It feel hurt.

 

 

 


 

 

 

"You're wasting your time," one of the agent snarled, as Hyunsuk passed the two agents. "He's not talking."

"If he talks to anyone, then it'll be me," Hyunsuk response.

And he strode towards the interrogation room. Flinging the door open, he step in to face his demon.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Seunghyun know he had caught the doctor’s full attention.

She had clearly thought that she knew everything she need to about this case: a kidnap victim – malnourished and dehydrated – but needing nothing more than a few tests and then some very standard care.

Talks of suicide had forced her to change her mind very quickly.

"Mr Yang…" she began.

"Seunghyun. Please call me Seunghyun." He introduce himself."

"Okay, Seunghyun." The doctor’s speak was like the distraction of a person under immense pressure. "I worked in major hospitals before I transferred here." She paused – "I have deal with kidnap victims before."

"But the man who kidnap my brother – he does ‘things’ to people. He breaks them. He makes them want to kill themselves." Seunghyun speak the words in a rush; almost panicked. "I have to be with him."

"No,  you don't." There was definite compassion in her voice – but there was also an absolute resolve. "Your brother will be under sedative for some time. And there are cops looking after your brother." The female doctor tell him.

"But …"

"No." the reply was unsympathetic and final. "Please trust me when I say that your brother will be looked after. And, Seunghyun?" the doctor look at him. "You need to rest too." she said as she ushered him to the waiting area before leave.

No, I'm not. I need to be with Seungri.

 

 

 


 

 

 

"It's about time you got here!" Even with his hands cuffed in front of him, Arashi somehow managed to come across as being relaxed, at ease and – almost scarily – in complete control. The grin he aimed at Hyunsuk was arrogant and mocking.

"You said that you only talk to me." Hyunsuk speak through gritted teeth; determined not to be drawn into the psychopath’s twisted games: "So talk."

"I'll talk to you." Arashi leant forwards and clasped his hands together. "I'll talk till you beg me to shut up. Till you beg for me to stop!"

"Where is your parther?" Hyunsuk try to ignore the provoke – and started with the most straightforward of questions; one that would calm his pounding heart and not give him cause to lose his temper, should it not be answered. He was emotional.

"I don't know. Maybe he’s escape. Maybe he's dead. I don't know. I don't care." Arashi shrugged and grinned again. "How about young son? Is he dead yet?"

Hyunsuk stiffened and almost choked at the mention of his younger son. He clenched his hands into fists and visibly fought the urge to run over the table and attack the man who tormented him so.

And Arashi know he had won the first point when Jin stepped in: "We ask the questions," the Chief Police intervened. "Not you."

Hyunsuk shook his head then, recognising the mistake he just made. Barely a minute into the interrogation and already he was on the back foot. It was a amateur mistake – letting personal feelings get in the way – and he was no amateur.

It wasn't a mistake he was about to repeat.

"My son is fine." Hyunsuk steeled himself as he stepped back into the fray. He hid his blatant lie behind his utter conviction of belief. Seungri, his youngest son would be alright.

"Then he will be dead by the weekend!" Arashi laughed out loud at the defiance his own nemesis was trying so hard to demonstrate. "He killed his own mother! How do you expect to get your son over that?"

"He did nothing wrong." Hyunsuk slammed his palms down onto the table that separated him from Arashi. Then he leant in close – so that he and they were almost nose to nose. "You killed my wife."

"And you've still got to convince your son it wasn't him!" Arashi smug grin never wavered. "Let me know how you get on with that."

Hyunsuk smiled grimly; determined not to rise to the bait.

Instead he turned defence into offence – and stared Arashi down.

"This will be the first time you've failed," he eventually said; straightening up and clasping his hands behind his back – and then he very deliberately turned his back.

There was the sound of a chair scraping behind him – but Hyunsuk didn't let Arashi with the small victory of him turning around. He know who else was in the room: two special police force and the Police Chief - who armed and definitely not afraid to use their weapon, should they need to.

There was no need for him to worry about Arashi doing something rash – and the Police Chief's firm words: "sit down!" silenced the sounds of movement behind him. He whirled back around to face Arashi.

"You failed," he said, again – trying to sound confident; even if, in his heart, he wasn't entirely sure he believed his own words. But he did deliberately echo the mocking tone Arashi had used: "You haven't beat me. You could never beat me."

Arashi gaze turned hard: "So that's why he confessed, is it?"

Though Hyunsuk had been forewarned, it didn't stop the words from punching the air out of him. He gritted his teeth. "Anything he might have signed, you force him to do."

And then, as if Hyunsuk nerves weren't grated enough, Arashi began to laugh. He laughed so hard that he began to cough; his breath coming in short gasps and his face turning red. But nobody moved to help him; nobody offered him even a sip of water.

When he finally regained his composure, Arashi wiped involuntary tears from his eyes and grinned up at Hyunsuk. His cockiness had returned full force.

"You really don't have a clue, do you? 'Anything he might have signed…'" he mocked. "Oh… You haven't seen it, have you? Your son read those words– and he cry. My God, how he cry. He look guilty; he sound guilty. He know he was guilty!"

Hyunsuk had heard the term 'blood boiling' but he had never truly experienced it. But now he did. He felt his blood pressure rising; felt himself grow hot– and every other cliché or understatement there ever was for intense anger.

And he clamped down on it, ruthlessly.

"He's not guilty," he retorted, deliberately keeping his distance and glowering at Arashi from the back of the room. "I'll make him understand…"

"Too late!" Arashi seemed to be on the verge of cackling manically. There was clearly a madness about him – albeit a cruel and calculated madness. "He didn't have a clue – and I got to him first."

"What do mean?" Hyunsuk know that Arashi was immensely assured of his victory – and he was determined to shoot him down in flames. 

"He had no clue." Arashi was on a roll – relishing the reaction he was provoking. "You have no idea how easy it is to mould a mind that has no memory. It took only hours. Mere hours to convince your son that he had killed his own mother."

"He had no memory of the accident…" Hyunsuk whispered – unwittingly being drawn back in time: to the memory of Jae Suk trying to take Seungri's statement; to his own harsh words of 'observation, retention and recollection'.

Sickness welled within him and he tried hard not to dwell on just how much he had played into Arashi’s hands.

Then another stray thought stirred within him – vying to push his guilt aside: "He remembered nothing?" he asked, ensuring that he sounded as though he was asking the question only of himself.

"Nothing!" Arashi was so caught up in his own perceived victory that he couldn't have stopped provoking, even if he wanted to. "Nothing except what I put in there. It was too easy. Too easy!"

Hyunsuk bit down on his anger, his fear and even his intense hatred to the man. Somehow, he forced a smile – and he injected every ounce of his contempt towards Arashi into that smile.

"What are you grinning at?" Arashi half rise out of his chair, but was instantly restrained by one of the cops. "What have you got to smile about?" Forced back down, he still managed to retain his arrogance.

But Hyunsuk wasn't going to play his games any more. He had gained a victory and wasn't about to have it taken away from him.

Instead, he was going to make it all the more sweeter:

"Thank you," he said. And both his eyes and his tone were mocking. "Thank you for helping me save my son."

Then he turned and opened the door of the interrogation room. The moment he step out it, Arashi began to yell: "You've got nothing! Your son is dead! You have not beat me! You..!"

And Hyunsuk slammed the door shut behind him –with an immense amount of satisfaction.

 

 

do you think Seungri will survive?
until we meet again....