XXV

Blame

 

 

 

The room cleared fairly quickly, as Arashi's voice faded – still crying out words of victory.

Seunghyun deliberately focussing his attention solely on his younger brother, Seungri. It didn't matter what that sick bastard was saying – or what he was threatening. He already vowed not to let any of it come to pass. And he had not forgotten that promise.

The threats were just empty and meaningless. Now that they had found his younger brother, the healing could begin. And, given the tender way his father was holding Seungri, it definitely have plenty of help.

Seunghyun could also hear his father's soothing voice: "It's okay, Seungri. You're going to be just fine. You're alright, son. We're here now. It's over."

The words were sound like never-ending prayer; the tone they were delivered in infinitely more healing. Seunghyun wondered if his father had even heard Arashi's last words but his father certainly didn't react to it, and Seunghyun noticed the way his father had cradled Seungri's head; cupping it gently and turning it inwards towards his chest, as though he could somehow prevent his youngest son from hearing the words, too.

Seunghyun allowed himself a small smile – but even that was tinged with sadness. His younger brother, Seungri remain unresponsive. And his father's words were hoarse and throaty and held more than a hint of desperation.

He wondered if it might be worth trying to reach Seungri himself – it certainly couldn't hurt to try. He got as far as laying one hand on his younger brother's arm, when a hand suddenly clasped his shoulder.

Startled, Seunghyun looked up and saw Jae Sang (Psy) smiling sympathetically at him. Then he noticed the Emergency Medical Team was hovering close. He didn't want to move; didn't want to give up his place – his rightful place – at his younger brother's side. But he had to accept that his younger brother needed medical attention.

Reluctantly, he got to his feet – wishing that he was the one who was holding his baby brother.

But judging from expression on his father’s face, he needed the contact more than even Seunghyun did at that moment in time.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Seunghyun run into the basement. He had blindly and recklessly and he had no memory of that desperate flight. It still didn't matter – because their effort had got them there on time. Seungri was still alive.

But now he was leaving in a wholly different frame of mind – and his senses were honed; sharpened by adrenaline. And he saw the other doorway in the basement – the one that he must have blindly run past.

Now his heightened vision registered something through that second doorway and he felt compelled to walk towards it; to investigate more closely. Something beyond the half-open doorway had caught his attention.

He approached slowly, cautiously. Somehow, he was feeling afraid – even though he knew that the house was clear; and that it was positively full with various law enforcement officers.

Then he reached the end of the corridor and carefully pushed at the second door. It swung open easily, allowing Seunghyun a clear view inside.

An anger flooded his mouth; nausea churned in his stomach; and he spun rapidly away before he was physically sick.

It was a prison cell. And it was clearly where they had held Seungri for the majority of his capture – the room they had rescued him from must have served some other, secondary, purpose. Seunghyun had been able to recognise blood stains on the floor.

Still fighting the urge to choke, Seunghyun ran from the room and up the stairs. He was going to reach his younger brother before they took him to the hospital. He was going to ride in the ambulance with him. He was never going to leave his baby brother alone again.

Seunghyun emerged from the house and onto the driveway just as the ambulance was pulling away.

Shouting for it to stop – and waving his arms desperately – had the desired effect. Brake lights flared red and the vehicle's progress was stalled. Without waiting for an invite and without even offering an explanation, Seunghyun yanked open the rear doors and jumped inside.

Then he was pulled up short by the sight of his father sitting opposite the stretcher on which Seungri lay.

Yang Hyunsuk looked older than Seunghyun could ever remember seeing him look. Weariness was showing on the lines on his face – that only served to make him look haggard. He was not a renowned Private Investigator anymore. Now he was a concerned and frightened father.

Seunghyun slumped down into the space next to him. He too felt as weary and old as his father looked.

"There was a cell…" He choked the words out; his tone low in deference to his injured younger brother. "A prison cell… They kept him there… Like he was…"

"Seunghyun, don't.." His father interrupted, but still managed to keep is voice low.

"He got inside Seungri’s mind." Seunghyun's observation was delivered with morbid finality.

Hyunsuk straightened his shoulders, coming to a decision – and it was a decision he had to firmly believe in, in order to convince his first son. And he would definitely need Seunghyun’s help and support in the days that were to come. "It was only temporarily," he said, with conviction. "You have to believe that, son. Your brother is going to be alright. We can get him through this." He touched Seunghyun's cheek, encouraging him to look up at him – and to tear his eyes away from his miserable observation of his younger brother. "We save him in time."

Seunghyun wanted desperately to believe his father. But it was an impossible thing to ask of him. Everything he knew about Arashi – and what he was capable of – scared the hell out of him.

And now he had seen first hand exactly what the psychotic man was capable of. He had heard Seungri begging to be killed; had watched him reach for the gun, with the clear intention of taking his own life.

He never thought his baby brother was capable of being so utterly defeated; so completely broken. It had shattered him to witness it – and he was afraid that he might start to doubt his ability to keep his promise.

And that desperate, terrified thought creeping into the back of his mind made his father’s words sound trite and almost facetious. He bit back an angry, or sarcastic, retort – which would only prove to be counterproductive – and bowed his head; nodding slightly as he did so.

He could feel his father's eyes burning into him – and knew that his apparent acquiescence had been seen right through. But he still didn't look up. If that was what his father wanted to believe, then that was up to him – but he just couldn't do it.

His baby brother, Seungri was going to need all of their love and strength and support. He was going to face a long, hard road to recovery and…

Seunghyun's train of thought did an abrupt about-face. Seungri was going to need their strength and their belief. How could he truly help his baby brother if he didn't believe that the task wasn't an impossible one; that they hadn't been too late to save him?

Finally, Seunghyun met his father's eyes and he smiled. There was still fear lurking on his features: fear of the unknown; of how badly hurt and broken his baby brother was; of the undeniably difficult future that lay ahead for all of them. But, beyond that fear, there was also unmistakable gratitude: "We save him in time," he whispered.

As one, both father and son returned to their vigil over the youngest member of their family.