XXIV

Blame

 

 

 

Hyunsuk saw what his son was going to do before it even happened – and that was how he was able to react so quickly. As devastated as he was by what Arashi was saying, his eyes never once left his younger son. It wasn't that he didn't want to face his enemy; wasn't that he couldn't bring himself to look him in the eye. He would have loved to stare that man down; to let him know he'd never win – even if he couldn't find any words. Defiance was a part of who he was.

But, as much as he wanted to face down his son's tormentor, he felt as though he owed so much more to him. He might not be able to find his voice – not even now, when so much rode on it. But he might be able to convey it by the sheer strength of his will – and he put every ounce of that strength into the gaze he bore into his younger son.

Arashi's words never once penetrated his concentration and his gasping of Seungri's name was him reaching out – desperate to make his younger son hear him and understand; desperate to pull him back from the brink – even as he feared that he was already way.... way too late.

And because he never gave in to Arashi's goading, never once eat the bait, he instantly recognised the very moment that his younger son – so clearly already broken – shattered completely.

Seungri had seemed worn out; devoid of free-will; incapable of doing anything other than stand there, sagging in his captor's grip.

Then, though he barely moved, he somehow changed.

A deep, heartfelt sigh was torn from his younger son and, to him, it was the saddest sound in the world.

It was in that instant he knew – and he moved without conscious thought. He run towards and then he dove at them both – hitting them low and hitting them hard.

 

 


 

 

Time seemed to slow down, as Seunghyun saw what his father had seen – but he saw it just a moment too late.

He see his younger brother raise his head and the blank look being replaced by one of sudden purpose. His hand was rising – with the gun pointed at the head.

His eyes widened as he realised what was happening.

It was too late for Senghyun to stop Seungri. The gap that separated them was too wide – and no way he can beat a bullet that travelled at one hundred meters per second.

He couldn't beat that speed. Not when the bullet would emerge less than a centimetre from his baby brother’s skull.

In spite of his mental preparation; in spite of his internal resolve; in spite of every vow that he had made, he was going to fail.

But he wasn't about to stand by and watch his younger brother die – not as long as there was a breath remaining in his own body.

Seunghyun moved more quickly than he ever had in his life before – running and then diving high.

 

 


 

 

Hyunsuk's plan was crude and simple – if it could even be called a plan. The only thought in his head, as he covered the short distance across the basement floor, was to get his younger son away from Arashi.

He didn't even have much of an idea how he was going to do that. He just knew that he would have the backup he needed – he could trust his first son implicitly for that.

And he was right. As he barrelled into the captor and captive, he felt a sudden rush of air above him; heard a grunt of exertion.

Then, before he was actually conscious of his actions, Hyunsuk had grabbed his younger son around the waist; hauling at him unceremoniously and spinning him away from Arashi; throwing him to the floor and then covering his son’s body with his own.

When he dared to look up, he saw Seunghyun pinning Arashi to the wall; using his bodyweight to try and keep Arashi immobile. Both of his hands were clamped on that man's right wrist, holding his hand high above their heads, as he tried to keep the gun from being a threat.

Hyunsuk feel torn. His younger son had been though a dreadful ordeal and was shuddering and trembling beneath him. He didn't think he was capable of getting up and leaving him unprotected.

And yet his other son was caught in a potentially deadly struggle with a man who had already proved to be dangerous.

Rescue came, even as the impossible dilemma crossed in his mind.

"Hand Up!" Police Chief Jin yell. A split-second later, nearly half dozen of police began to fill up the room rapidly – with guns aimed at Arashi; that still locked in a deadly battle with Seunghyun.

But, because of they were too close, not one dared to fire.

 

 


 

 

Seunghyun didn't know what was happening behind him – and he was too busy to risk even a glance to find out what was going on.

He ached to know how his younger brother was. The need to see, with his own eyes, that he was okay was like a physical pain. But he didn't dare lose his concentration – not even for a split second.

His eyes were fixed firmly on the gun; currently pointed harmlessly at the ceiling. But his every physical effort was straining to ensure that the threat didn't become any more immediate.

Arashi was strong – of that there was no doubt – and Seunghyun, already with his shoulder pinning his target's chest, drove an elbow into his solar plexus. Arashi barely even flinched, even as the air whooshed out of his lungs. He certainly didn't loosen his grip on the gun.

And then there were urgent footsteps behind him. It was Police Chief Jin’s voice and Seunghyun can release his breath at the sound. The rescue had arrived.

Then he was forced to realise his mistake. The mere presence of the police or whoever else might just have arrived didn't necessarily mean an end to the hostage situation.

Seunghyun knew he was blocking any potential shot – and so the threat of the police was instantly negated. But he had already let his guard down; relaxed his grip.

A sudden, swift knee to his gut caused him to let go completely and – spent from the prior effort – he collapsed. Now, Arashi's gun was a real and genuine threat. And his father and his younger brother were lying unprotected and exposed on the floor.

Seunghyun had lost his bearings when he fell. He looked up, trying to see where Arashi was aiming; trying to pre-empt him; ready to throw himself into the path of the bullet that he knew was bound to come.

The last thing he expected to see was Arashi grinning back down at him; his arms raised in surrender and the gun swinging harmlessly – inverted on his middle finger.

He dared to spare a glance towards his father and Seungri – but he could only see the former. His father's body still formed a human shield around his younger brother.

Then police or the special squad moved in then. Seunghyun didn't know – and he didn't really care too much. All he knew was that it was over – and he breathed a silent prayer of thanks for that.

Then all hell broke loose.

Everyone was in the room but Seunghyun didn't care. All he did care is about Arashi – and his heart almost stopped as he watched the grin widen across the kidnappers face.

Arashi tossed the gun away. But he tossed it very deliberately towards where Seungri and his father lay.

Seunghyun didn't even pause. It didn't matter how many guns were suddenly in the room – the only gun that mattered was Arashi's and it had just come to rest dangerously close to his younger brother's hand.

He spared a glance towards his father – and their eyes locked for the briefest of moments. Then Hyunsuk’s arms tightened around his younger’s son; offering protection, offering support.

In one smooth movement he snatched up the discarded gun and rolled onto his back.

He held the gun in a two-handed grip, and then pointed it unwaveringly at the kidnaper's chest. His heart racing, Seunghyun knew that it would be the easiest thing in the world for him to pull the trigger.

Seunghyun never got the chance to exact his ultimate revenge. His head swam and he wondered how it would feel to pull the trigger; to kill the man who had not only tormented his family beyond belief but was also, ultimately, responsible for the death of their mother.

His hands began to shake. It would be so easy.

More of more police began to swarm around the now unarmed man and he tried shifting his position slightly. He needed to keep the gun ready. Arashi was too dangerous; he had cost them so much already.

Tears filled his eyes as more bodies blocked his vision. He couldn't take his eyes off the threat – and yet it was being obscured to him. He tried shifting again – still on his back and still holding onto the gun like a lifeline.

Then he felt someone's hands on his and his vision swam back into focus. Jae Suk was kneeling in front of him, his palms wrapped around his too-tense hands – and Seunghyun realised with a start, that the gun was now pointed unerringly at the police’s unprotected chest.

In that instant he realised how tightly wound he was; realised that his finger was on a hair-trigger; realised that he had been on the verge of shooting an unarmed man.

The gun dropped to the floor with a clatter.

Jae Suk smiled at him in utter relief.

 

 


 

 

Yang Hyunsuk sat up slowly as Arashi was completely obscured from his view – but he never once released his grip on his younger son. He gradually drew Seungri up with him, until his son was cradled gently in his arms; both of them still collapsed on the cold floor.

As he looked down at his son – saw the paleness of his face; the deep lines of pain and fatigue; the heavy dark rings that encircled his eyes – his fatherly heart caught in his chest and he was suddenly swept by an overwhelming sense of protectiveness.

How had he allowed this to happen? How had he been so unable to save his son in time? How much had he himself directly contributed to the broken state of his younger son?

Without conscious thought, he tightened his hold; drawing his younger son in ever closer and clutching him tightly to his chest as though he'd never let go. Tears filled his eyes and he made no attempt to stop them from falling.

"I'm sorry," he whispered – unable to understand what his son had endured, but knowing that it had to be horrific. His heart still pounded as he remembered, with crystal clarity, his son's unwavering hand reaching up and pull the trigger of the gun pointed at his head.

They had arrived – literally – in the nick of time, as the clock finally wound down and time ran out. But they had also arrived just in time to witness Arashi's victory. His tears began to fall more steadily.

Then he felt a touch on his shoulder – not firm and assured; not even remotely supportive. But trembling and tentative. He looked up into his eldest son's face, who loved his brother immensely and shared a closeness with him that he could only envy; a closeness that had always been there – and always would be. A closeness that he had never witnessed in any siblings before – not even the twins – and knew that he never would again.

They were his sons and now one of them was hurt and the other was clearly terrified. A swell of absolute pride flooded through him and, somehow, the plight of his boys calmed his own terror and gave him some much needed strength.

"He's going to be okay." He blinked away his tears as he spoke. For some reason, saying those words aloud gave him belief in them. His boys were back together again and –together – they could beat anything. He found a smile; albeit a somewhat watery one and said again: "He's going to be okay."

"Dad…" Seunghyun looked anything but convinced. He looked sick to his stomach and genuine terror still lurked in his expressive brown eyes. "Dad, we need ambulance."

Those words forced Hyunsuk to look at Seungri – to really look at him. He had to look beyond the horrific mental image that still stood starkly in his mind; the gut churning terror that, even as he dived in to rescue his younger son, he would hear the gunshot; that he would be a fingertip – a hairsbreadth – away from saving him.

But now he forced himself to see past the nightmare and even past the fatigue that so enshrouded his younger son. The brown eyes were closed, but Seungri wasn't unconscious. He wasn't even resting. Testimony to that were the tears that seeped down his cheeks – and the way that he didn't relax into his father's embrace, but merely lay there; his arms held stiffly at his sides and his hands clenched into fists.

His breathing was ragged – an audible battle against him descending into uncontrollable sobbing. More of a concern were the bruises on his face, the flecks of dried blood – and more blood and bruising on his bare feet.

But the greatest testament to his son fragile state was the fact that he didn't voice even a hint of a protest at the mention of the word 'ambulance'.

 

Hyunsuk looked up, intending to shout out for assistance – to get medical help for his younger son as soon as possible. But hold himself when he saw what had happen.

His friend Police Chief Jin was standing in the doorway and there were two emergency assistances at his side. The only thing that stopped him from smiling in relief was the way that the Police Chief’s hand was outstretched; physically preventing them from entering the room.

Frowning, Hyunsuk followed the Police Chief's concerned gaze – and then he understood. Though he had seemingly surrendered, Arashi had suddenly decided that he wasn't going to go completely quietly. He was being pinned to the floor – thrashing and struggling – while one of the few police officer tried to secure handcuffs on him.

The next moment, the police obviously succeeded and the villain was hauled unceremoniously to his feet. As that happened, the sea of bodies parted and Arashi was suddenly able to see the side in front of him. His face split into a broad grin – and he stalled again; digging in and refusing to take a single step.

"I beat you, Hyunsuk!" Arashi, his feet firmly planted managed to wrench one arm free. "Your son's already dead! You can put him in the ground right next to your wife!"

"Get him out of here!" Police Chief Jin roared – stepping forwards and putting himself directly in Arashi's line of sight.

"Maybe not today." Arashi continued to yell even as he was dragged from the room. "But tomorrow? Maybe next week? Next month? You'll be burying your son, Hyunsuk! I beat you! I won!" followed by a series of laughter.