Broken Soul

Blame

 

 

 

 

 

Seungri dragged himself up onto the bed and tried to make further sense of his surroundings. On the other side of the bars was a room, but it was completely devoid of furniture.

Looking up, he also noted a security camera, though there was no red flashing light to indicate it might be recording. He didn't put too much stock in that, knowing that not every security system had such a giveaway.

To the right there was an alcove, or possibly a corridor and that must have led to the only door out. From his limited vantage, Seungri couldn't actually see that door – and there were no windows. No wonder the darkness had been so absolute.

A loud noise interrupted his observations and then he shrank back onto the bunk as the sound of heavy footsteps drew inexorably closer.

After a moment, a man came into view and Seungri could only stare at him – still enshrouded in utter confusion. It was the same man who had 'arrested' him; his gun a visible threat hanging from a shoulder holster.

The man didn't speak and seungri simply couldn't find his voice. It was nagging in the back of his mind that everything was feeling somehow wrong. He hadn't been read his rights; he hadn't even been told what he was supposed to have done. And wasn't he supposed to be allowed one phone call?

That thought, inevitably, made him think of his brother and his father. He couldn't help but remember the last time he had seen them – chasing after Arashi – and he had no way of knowing their fate. He wondered if they were aware of his.

But he had no time to dwell on that thought, as his cell door was unlocked.

Seungri had nowhere to go; nowhere to hide and no chance of trying to fight.

The man entered the cell and grabbed hold of his right arm, easily hauling him to his feet. Still no words were exchanged between them. Seungri’s mind was racing by now – having had a little time to recover and regroup his thoughts.

He now knew that this situation was very, very wrong. He just couldn't quite figure out exactly what was going on.

He wanted to resist but not only was his captor armed, he was also much stronger than him.

Seungri had no choice but to allow himself to be led from the cell. As he'd suspected there was a short corridor, barred by a heavy door that already stood ajar.

Then came another short passageway; at the end of which another door loomed in front of him. Seungri’s captor guided him through it, maintaining a hefty grip on his bicep.

There was somebody already in there and Seungri paled as he faced a man whom he instantly recognised – in spite of only ever having caught a brief glimpse of him in the flesh before. Arashi hadn't changed one little bit from the mug shot their father had made them study; the same man his brother and father had chased from the cafe.

He was a tall man and had a sturdy physique – bulging muscles attesting to him having spent long hours in the prison gym. His hair was long and unruly and he wore a day's growth of stubble. The expression on his face made him look mean and dangerous.

Seungri knew for a fact that he was both.

A hefty shove from the man who had brought him to the room slammed Seungri against the back wall. The breath was knocked out of him but, before he could recover, his original captor was on him again. Seungri flinched, but the man merely fished a key out of his pocket and unlocked the handcuffs that had held him.

Somewhat surprised, Seungri straightened up as the man backed away. He rubbed absently at his aching wrists.

Then Arashi grabbed something off the table – that Seungri had only vaguely registered – and threw it at him. Instinct caused him to make the catch and then he frowned down in confusion at the bright orange material that he held.

"Strip off and put that on." Arashi growled.

Seungri could only stare at him in incomprehension; wondering if he had maybe misheard the man, or maybe misunderstood.

"Strip off, or we'll do it." The felon took a menacing step forwards and the other man did the same. "And I can guarantee you won't enjoy it." He smiled humourlessly and his dark eyes narrowed. "Now strip."

Dropping the garment that Arashi had thrown at him, Seungri slowly began to his shirt.

 

 

 


 

 

Reluctantly, Hyunsuk and SeungHyun went home. There was nothing more to be learnt from the witness statements – and Jae Sang’s partner reported that the other local businesses hadn't been able to shed any further light on the mystery man who had been masquerading as a cop.

The description of the man remained frustratingly vague and they hadn't even got anything new on the car.

They had nothing else to go on.

SeungHyun thought that it was somewhat incredible – but also wasn't overly surprised, when he thought about it logically. Though the drama of the fake arrest had unfolded in broad daylight and had been witnessed by dozens of people, every single one of them had taken what they'd seen at face value. And why not? Why suspect that the man was anything other than a cop?

SeungHyun found that all of the witnesses had been more focussed on Seungri than on the other man – and most especially not on the car he'd been driving. They wanted to see the alleged felon; to speculate on what he might have done wrong; to gawk at the unfortunate teenager and maybe even be thankful that it wasn't them being hauled away for their misdemeanours.

But, understandable or not, it still left them with precisely nothing to go on.

Jae Sang had suggested that they go back their house – citing that the kidnapper may try to contact them. Both Hyunsuk had SeungHyun had originally baulked, but they had to recognise that they had to return to the family home sooner or later – it didn't matter how much the thought of going there hurt them.

Jae Sang drove them, in his own car. Neither of the father and son was in any condition to get behind the wheel and Hyunsuk’s car would be safe enough at the hospital until it could be collected.

They drove in silence; no radio was and there definitely wasn't any attempt at conversation. Hyunsuk and SeungHyun were both lost in their own thoughts and Jae Sang was silently wishing for this whole nightmare to be over. He considered them to be his friends and he was suffering right along with them.

Then he pulled the car to a halt outside their home and switched off the engine. He looked over at Hyunsuk, who occupied the passenger seat, but the Investigator was staring resolutely at his hands.

Jae Sang twisted around to look at SeungHyun and found the boy staring out of the window towards his house. He cleared his throat, softly and SeungHyun’s eyes drifted around to meet his.

"Do you want me to come in?" he asked, not knowing why he made the offer – or what good it would do – but not wanting to simply leave them like this.

SeungHyun shook his head and then reached out to open the car door. Hyunsuk still didn't move.

"Dad?" SeungHyun had one leg out of the car before he realised that he was the only one who had moved. When he received no response, he slid back into his seat and stared at the back of his father's bowed head. "Dad…" he tried again. "We're home."

"I can't… I don't…" Huynsuk’s voice was barely a whisper. "I don't think I can go in there."

Jae Sang looked away when he heard those words. This was too personal; too private. And it was something he shouldn't be witness to. Not knowing what else to do, he slipped out of his car and then moved around to the front of it. Leaning against the hood, he gave the father and son the privacy they so clearly needed.

 

 

 


 

 

Seungri felt his cheeks flame with embarrassment as he slowly stripped in front of the two men. Once his shirt was off, he toed off his sneakers and then his trembling hands moved towards the button of his jeans.

"Socks too," Arashi snapped – and Seungri readily complied. Each moment that passed delayed his total humiliation – even if it was only by the briefest of seconds.

Moving slowly, he balled up each sock and placed them into his sneakers. That only left him in his jeans. Slowly, he peeled them from his hips – and then stood shivering, from both fear and cold, and wearing only his boxer shorts.

"Put it on, or stay like that." Arashi smiled at him and there was something feral in his eyes. "Your choice."

Seungri, terrified, grabbed at the garment he'd dropped. It was a bright orange jumpsuit – the kind wore by prison inmates everywhere. He didn't care, didn't even wonder about it. The clothing offered some sort of protection and he desperately needed some, given how totally vulnerable he had been made to feel.

He stepped into the jumpsuit – hurriedly fastening the buttons up the front and feeling immense relief at being clothed again. The garment was short-sleeved and did little to ward off the chill in the small room and goosebumps stood up on his arms; but Seungri knew it wasn't only the cold that put them there.

Trying to muster his courage, he glared at the two men.

"What do you want?" The question was addressed solely at Arashi, but it was the other man who reacted. The phoney police officer drew his gun and pointed it unerringly at his chest.

"Turn around and put your hands against the wall."

Even though he knew that this whole 'arrest' scenario was no more than a charade, Seungri had no choice but to comply. Whoever was wielding it, the threat of the gun was still very real.

A moment later, his hands were again cuffed behind his back. As soon as he was restrained, he was whirled around to face his captors.

"This isn't real," he insisted, wondering what the hell was going on and why Arashi was treating him like a prison inmate. "What..?"

"Your father calls himself a Private Investigator." Arashi spoke over him and slowly stalked towards him. "He spouts off about law and justice and the truth."

"My dad…" Seungri instantly leapt to his father's defence – but his protest was cut brutally short. Arashi’s hand s out and grabbed hold of his jaw.

"Keep quiet or be gagged."

Seungri shut his mouth – not doubting for a second that the man would follow through with his threat.

"Yang Hyunsuk hounded me for months," Arashi went on, his face mere inches from Seungri’s. "He hunted me down and then he locked me up – and he said that it was all in the name of justice."

Seungri held his silence and just watched the man, fearfully. He was already aware of Arashi’s history with his dad – he just didn't know what the escaped felon had in store for him. He only knew that it couldn't be good.

"But where is that justice now?" Arashi eyes narrowed. "Now, when his son is the one who committed the crime, where the hell is that justice?"

"You were driving the car your mother died in." The second man's voice was sudden and harsh in Seungri’s ear and he flinched away from it – he had been so totally focussed on Arashi: "That makes you responsible."

Arashi’s next words forced Seungri’s attention straight back to him: "You killed your own mother and you are going to pay for it."