Let's end this

Blame

 

 

 

"Kill me."

Yang Hyunsuk wasn't the only one who heard those devastating words. Seunghyun also head it – terror and dread driving them both to speeds that might have put a Olympic champion to shame. And Hyunsuk, though older – had somehow won the race. But it had been so close as to border on a dead-heat.

Police Chief Jin’s footsteps sounded on the stairs a moment later – admirably close behind them.

They were the only three in the basement – the rest having been cleared on Arashi's demand. There had been no escape for the man and to not comply mean Seungri's life.

The illumination in the underground room give both Hyunsuk and Seunghyun the chance to look at Seungri. And one look was all it took.

They didn't see a son or a brother; didn't see an amateur detective; a student; a high school jock; a loyal friend. They saw a shell – barely even a person anymore. They saw someone who had been pushed over the edge; who wasn't looking into the abyss, but had plunged headlong into it.

And in that instance both father and son knew they were too late.

Sudden laughter broke the deathly silence that had fallen following Seungri's broken words. It was as out of place as it was maniacal – and Seunghyun felt his hairs rise.

"Now that's the look I've been waiting to see!" Arashi's voice was triumphant, but the gun never wavered.

Seunghyun took a half-step forwards: he needed to get his younger brother away from this madman. But his father's hand grasped hold of his bicep.

"Don't." The word was spoken on a breath – but the inflection said so much more. His father had taught him well and they had worked together enough to form something of an understanding. With his word and his touch, his father was telling him to be ready.

Seunghyun accepted the silent message and took a deep breath. Time to be calm and yet remain tense and alert; time for him to draw on his martial arts training. He knew he had reached the right frame of mind when his father released his arm and turned his full attention back to Arashi.

"Let him go."

"He's all yours, Hyunsuk." There was a definite undercurrent of glee in Arashi's tone. It sounded as though he knew that he had won. "That is, if you still want him."

"I said let him go!"

Seunghyun's eyes were glued to his younger brother, even as his father repeated the demand. Seungri looked completely broken; was sagging in his captor's grip. And he knew they would get no help from Seungri should they attempt to facilitate rushing Arashi to rescue him.

Seunghyun frowned. There was something about his younger brother’s behaviour that was infinitely disturbing. He had yet to look up at either of them and the defeat that surrounded him was like a stain in the air.

And Seunghyun was forced to re-evaluate his belief that his younger brother would not be damaged beyond repair.

Thoughts and promises sped through his brain: "His baby brother was going to be alright."

Then Arashi spoke again; his voice cruel and mocking: "You want this piece of ? This pathetic excuse for a human being?" His voice got progressively louder and Hyunsuk's attempted appeal of "Seungri…" was swiftly overridden: "You want this murderer? This scum who killed your wife?!"

"Don't listen to him, Seungri!" Senghyun shouted, when it seemed that his father was incapable of finding his voice. "It wasn't your fault! Don't…" He trailed off, knowing that he wasn't reaching his younger brother; because he don’t response, his head was keep lower – and Seunghyun knew that Seungri didn't need to hear this from him. He turned to the one man who might be able to help: "Dad…"

"No!"

Hyunsuk's sudden yell almost caused Seunghyun's heart to stop. As it was, he was convinced that it literally skipped a beat. Then his dad was moving and he turned shocked eyes towards the hostage scenario.

But it wasn't Arashi who had taken action.

It was his younger brother.

 

 


 

 

Seungri had closed his eyes. It was supposed to be over; he was supposed to be free.

He didn't know what it meant – the freedom that he craved. All he knew was that his nightmare showed no signs of ever ending.

He was aware of the police leaving; was even aware of his father and his brother – the remainder of his family, he bitterly reminded himself – arriving.

They just didn't matter.

Torture and torment and drugs had made him believe his own confession – and that was the only thing that did matter to him.

He had to end this now.

And, somehow, maybe it was fitting that his father and his brother were there. After all, they were great believers in the law; in justice; in the punishment fitting the crime. They had to believe in those things.

And Seungri believed in those things, too. It was all he had – and everything he had tried to live his life by.

As he was forced to listen to more vile words: "This piece of ? This pathetic excuse for a human being? This murderer? This scum who killed your wife?!" he knew what he had to do. He could see no other way.

His decision made, Seungri reached upwards with a surprisingly steady hand.

 

 


 

 

Time seemed to slow down, as Seunghyun saw what his father had seen – but he saw it just a moment too late.

His younger brother was raising his head and the blank look being replaced by one of sudden purpose. His hand was rising – reaching the hand above him and pointed the gun directly to his head.The captor was smiling.

Seunghyun eyes widened in horror as he realised what was happening.

It was too late for him to stop Seungri. The gap that separate them was too wide – and no way he can beat a bullet that can travel at hundred meters per second.

He couldn't beat that speed. Not when the bullet would emerge less than a centimetre from his baby brother’s skull.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BANG!!!

 

 

 

thank you so much ...voters/subscribers/readers.... u ll are valuable to meXD