Evidence vs False Memory

Blame

 

 

 

 

Seunghyun was horrified, distraught and disgusted – and two words had done that to him. Two words uttered by his own father: 'arrest him'.

"What are you doing, dad?" he demanded – but he had no intention of waiting for an answer; not when Police Chief Jin had passed the order on and it was in the process of being carried out.

He tried to brush past his father, but was met by immediate resistance. His father's hand planted in the centre of his chest and Police Chief Jin caught hold of his bicep.

"Let me go!" He battled futilely against them. "Stop this!"

"Son, listen to me." Hyunsuk didn't raise his voice, but kept it low and serious. He grasped his oldest son’s jaw and forced him to look at him: "We have to do this. There's no choice."

"Of course there's a choice!" Seunghyun snapped back. "Let me talk to Seungri." His voice grew more desperate as he watched Jae Suk approach his brother.

"Seunghyun, your dad's right." It was Police Chief Jin who voiced the next argument.

"Your brother is beyond talking. He's beyond listening. Dammit, look what he's done here!" Anger flashed in the Police Chief's eyes, but it was swiftly quashed – so quickly, Seunghyun couldn't be certain if it had actually even been there. "And if that wasn't enough to get him arrested, what do you think he'd have tried next? You want to see him turn that thing on a person?"

"My brother would never hurt anyone," Seunghyun protested, outraged.

"And I'd never have believed him capable of criminal damage – but that's what he's just done." Police Chief Jin's voice was equally impassioned. "It was just blind chance that had him coming across my car first. Your brother could have been in serious trouble here."

Seunghyun didn't want to agree, but he couldn't refute what had just happened. Slowly – and feeling as though he was somehow betraying his brother – he nodded.

But he still couldn't fully believe this to be the best course of action.

"But, by doing this, aren't you just reinforcing his belief that he's guilty?" In his head, the logic of it was irrefutable and he couldn't help but fear they were playing right into Arashi's hands. "I don't see how this can…" He trailed off and turned away; putting his hands on his hips and squeezing his eyes shut. He was determined not to break down – not when there was still so much at stake. He had to remain strong.

Then a strong hand fell on his shoulder and he knew, without looking, that it was his father's hand. It was so firm, so reassuring, that his so recently affirmed resolve wavered and then crumbled completely. Spinning around, he collapsed into his father's embrace.

"What's going to happen to him?" he gasped. In his head, the future had taken a decidedly terrifying turn: Seungri being arrested; his confession; being convicted for something that was in no way his fault; his baby dongsaeng is going to jail…

Then his father was his hair and murmuring soothing words. Trying to pull himself together, Seunghyun stiffened and pulled away.

Hyunsuk regarded him for the longest of moments and then nodded once. He deliberately didn't draw attention to his oldest son’s momentary loss of control – God knew, he'd had such moments himself over the last few days. Instead he began to talk; to outline the plan that had formulated in his mind the moment he recalled his interrogation with Arashi.

"Arashi told me that it had been easy…" He explained – his voice tight with anger, just at the thought of the man. "Easy to convince Seungri that the accident had been his fault; that he was responsible."

"No. He's stronger than that." Seunghyun automatically leapt to his dongsaeng's defence; but in his heart he knew that Seungri had been a long way removed from strong, even before Arashi took him.

"Not this time, son." Hyunsuk's softly spoken answer only confirmed that thought. Then, not wanting to dwell on what had already transpired – or on his own feelings of guilt and inadequacy – he continued: "He said it was easy because Seungri had absolutely no memory of what had happened; not even a glimmer."

Seunghyun caught hold of his arm, stopping him dead in his tracks: "But I still don't see how this can possibly help him."

"That psychopath had planted a false history in Seungri's mind and convinced him it was the truth." Hyunsuk continued with the explanation. "Now we have the means to prove to him that it was all a lie. We have the one thing Seungri can't possibly dispute – the evidence."

Not blinded by emotion as Seunghyun was, Police Chief Jin had quickly caught on to what his old friend was doing. He took one last, regretful look at his battered car: "And now we have him in a position where he has no choice but to listen," he concluded.

 

 


 

 

A few minutes later, Hyunsuk and Seunghyun – the Police Chief having gone to 'sort things out' – stood in a viewing room looking in on an Interrogation Room.

He tried not to see it as a bad omen. But, as he looked in on his youngest son, his heart almost broke – and he wondered as to his ability to fulfil the difficult task that lay ahead.

Seungri was not alone. Jae Sang stood just behind him – his hands folded behind his back; and looking distinctly uncomfortable. The look of defeat on his youngest son's face captured and held his attention.

Seungri's handcuffs had been removed and his forearms were rested lightly on the table at which he sat. His hands were clasped loosely together.

But it was his eyes…

His eyes were fixed into a 'thousand mile stare'; the kind he had only ever witnessed on people who'd survived unimaginable trauma.

Sadly, Hyunsuk knew exactly what trauma his youngest son was currently reliving. Lie or not it was the truth to Seungri – and he inwardly cursed, willing the Police Chief to hurry up and get what they needed.

He bowed his head: get what they needed so he could walk into that room and interrogate his own son.

Then Seunghyun said: "I want to be in there."

"That's not an option." Hyunsuk had been anticipating this argument and so was prepared for it. "We're not playing a game here. Seungri is under arrest – and there are protocols that have to be followed."

"But you're going in…" Seunghyun tried to argue.

Hyunsuk was more than ready for him: "Yes, I am. And I can be completely justified. You can't." He didn't spell out the reasons for that justification. He didn't want to think about them too deeply.

"Dad, please…" Seunghyun wasn't yet ready to give up: "He's going to need a friend in there…"

"No. That's the one thing he doesn't need." It almost killed Hyunsuk to say those words, but he had to force his point home: "The one thing he isn't going to have."

There was a brief knock on the door and then Police Chief Jin poked his head into the room. He nodded once. It was time.

Unable to leave his oldest son just hanging as he was, Hyunsuk grabbed hold of his arms.

"When this is over, he's going to need you more than he's ever needed anyone in his life before." He looked deeply into Seunghyun's eyes. "And that's why you can't go in there."

 

 


 

 

Seungri snapped out of his stupor when the door to the Interrogation Room opened. He sighed softly when Police Chief Jin walked in – and then returned his gaze to the table top.

A file slapped down – and he jumped at the sudden noise.

He looked up again and then did a double-take when he saw his father staring impassively back at him.

"No." He shook his head and his eyes sought out the Police Chief. "No, I don't want him to do this. I don't want him here."

Police Chief Jin looked back at him, with a distinctly unimpressed air. He didn't even blink in the face of Seungri's demand.

"I don't want him to do this!" Seungri tried again – desperate now.

Police Chief Jin's shoulders stiffened momentarily and then he leant over the table which separated him from Seungri. "You're under arrest, son," he growled, trying to treat Seungri as he would any other perp – and not the son of his best friend. "What you want doesn't really count for very much any more."

Seungri visibly sagged in his seat and he nodded. "I want to confess," he sighed. "I want…"

"Again, what you want is irrelevant." Police Chief Jin sat down in one of the chairs on the opposite side of the table to Seungri. "We're going to ask questions and you're going to answer them, okay?"

Seunrgri's chin dropped onto his chest: "Okay," he whispered.

Police Chief Jin seemed completely unmoved. "You have waived the right to have a lawyer," he continued – the ultimate professional. "At any point during the interview, you may call a halt to proceedings and invoke that right."

"I don't need a lawyer." Seungri re-affixed his gaze to the table top. It was the only way he could see of getting through this. "Can we just get it over with?"

"Yes, Seungri, we can."

At those words, Seungri looked up into his father's impassioned eyes. He flinched away from them and squeezed his own eyes closed. He wasn't so sure that he could do this – but he'd burned his bridges and was left with no choice.

"Let me confess," he begged, without even opening his eyes.

"No. Questions and answers first." Hyunsuk's voice was hard and unyielding. "Tell me everything you remember about the day your mother died."

"I killed ….mom …" Seungri tried to fall in on himself – but then a hand slapped angrily against the surface of the table.

"That's not what he asked, is it?" Police Chief Jin barked at him. "He said everything you remember about that day. And that means everything."

"Start from where you left the house." Hyunsuk rejoined the double-team attack. "You and your mother. Tell us what you remember."

And Seungri slowly, hesitantly recalled their shopping trip; their unscheduled change of plans; her mom dropping her phone. And then he trailed off into silence.

"Then what?" His father's voice was a harsh and broken whisper. "What else do you remember?"

"The light was green and I drove though it." Seungri sank down in his chair and hugged his arms around his midriff. He'd wanted to confess – but it was proving to be almost impossibly hard. He let the next words escape in a rush: "I hit the gas and not the brake and I spun the car and I hit the pole and I…"

"Stop!" His father's voice cut through his babbling. "I asked you what you remember. What you remember." He took a deep breath. "Tell me what you really remember."

"I killed my mom." Seungri was aching, trying to keep the sobs inside. "I killed mom!"

"Tell me what you remember." Hyunsuk was relentless.

"I hit the gas and I hit into the pole and I killed mom!" Seungri almost screamed in response.

Then a photograph was thrown face-up onto the table. It was a picture of his father's car – taken minutes after the crash. Even Seungri could recognise that.

"What pole?" Police Chief Jin asked, dispassionately. He didn't need emotion; he had evidence.

Seungri stared at the picture in incomprehension. "No," he gasped. "I hit the gas…"

Another picture was thrown at him; followed almost instantly by a third. "Look at the tyre tracks." Now it was his father in his face. "One set is braking, the other accelerating. Can you see the difference?"

And Seungri could – but he still couldn't quite understand.

"Do you really think Arashi hit the brakes as he ran that light and hit your car?" Police Chief Jin was back on his feet and leaning over the table. He slammed his hand onto the table and Seungri almost jumped out of his skin. "Do you?"

Seungri shook his head – suddenly feeling overwhelmed and lost.

"Why?" he asked, shakily. "Why won't you just let me confess?"

"Listen to what I'm saying!" Every angry word – and every subsequent flinch from Seungri – twisted the knife in Hyunsuk's gut, but he pressed on. This had to work. "Look at what we're showing you!"

"Look at the evidence, Seungri." Police Chief Jin waved the photographs in his face.

"Look!" he implored. "One car braked and the other accelerated."

Seungri's fingertips ghosted towards the photographs – but he stopped short of actually touching them: "I don't… I don't understand…" he murmured.

"What is there not to understand?" The photos were placed back on the table and then a tan folder joined them. "Accident Investigation." A second file landed atop the first. "CSU. They both reached the same conclusion." Police Chief Jin flipped the top folder open, leafed through a few pages and began to read:

'Conclude that the reckless driving – by an unknown person had contributed directly to the death of Mrs Yang.'"

"Those are facts, Seungri." Hyunsuk stepped in. "That is evidence. Now talk to me. Tell me exactly what you remember."

"I don't know…" Seungri looked up desperately – his gaze switching rapidly between the two men. "I remember… I think I remember…"

"No, Seungri. You're just remembering what Arashi told you. The lies he told you." Hyunsuk retorted, his passion growing along with his desperation.

"And he only ever used words didn't he, Seungri? Didn't he?" He didn't even wait for a response from his youngest son. "He had to, Seungri, because that's all he had. He couldn't show you any evidence, because he had none." He grabbed one of the files for emphasis.

"All he had was his lies."

Seungri stared at the folder in his father's hands. He thought he remembered Arashi having a file identical to it – but he couldn't be sure. He couldn't be sure of anything any more.

"So what are you going to believe?" Hyunsuk pressed, relentlessly.

"The words of a convicted psycho? Or the evidence right in front of you?"

But Seungri couldn't answer. Everything in his mind had become cloudy and confused – and his head was starting to ache fiercely. He collapsed back into his chair and mumbled:

"I don't know what to believe any more."