Episode 14.

Rules of Attraction (Temp Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the Summer

"How did you..." L asked Hana as they stood in the middle of the parking lot behind the field.

"Oh, that?" Hana said innocently as if she had done nothing out of this world, "my dad made me take basic training and self-defense classes for in case instances like the one that just happened should ever occur."

"Smart man." L said with a smile.

"I like to think so." 

L noticed her golden hazel eyes had turned copper under the dim lighting of the light post.

The parking lot was barren, not another soul in sight except the two of them. L had just finished showering and Hana could see some drops of water dripping down his neck. He wore a white shirt and she could tell that he hadn’t completely dried himself as the fabric kept clinging to his toned torso.

He was breathtaking.

Hana had understood how that felt. During the summers heat it became annoying to completely dry yourself before changing in the locker room. All the steam inside made it difficult to stay in there another second. You just wanted to dry up, change and get out as soon as you could. Thats why she enjoyed showering at home better.

"So what were you doing here by yourself?" he asked hopeful.

In her eyes she didn’t see a change from his usual stoic expression.

"I was trying to see if I could catch Dongwoo before he left." 

He didn’t even have to think about it, L was the last one to leave the lockers, "he already did."

She gave a frustrated sigh, "damn." 

He raised a brow, "Why? What’s up?"

"Mei left early and I had assured her that i'd find someone to accompany me back home."

"Oh," he said slightly confused with why it would be Dongwoo she was looking for, "but why Dongwoo?"

"He lives a couple of houses down from me."

What the hell? He thought. As far as he was concerned Dongwoo hadn't move so how was it possible that he didn’t know this. He immediately came to the conclusion that he had to walk her home so he could see if this was actually true.

"I'll walk you." he finally said. 

She was slightly hesitant, "I don't want to trouble you."

"I know where he lives so trust me when I say, it's no problem. It's on the way to mine."

"Really?" she flashed her dazzling smile and he felt his heart slightly skip a beat, "that's great. Thanks."

They started off towards the residential area 5 minutes east of the school. Although it was still early into night and cars still lined the streets. It was beautiful out as the light posts illuminated the dark streets lighting up the path as they made their way towards their block.

On the way L decided to learn more about the girl who he still considered a mystery, "so your dad is a military man I assume." 

"You assume correctly." she said with a proud smile, "he's the reason why we moved out here."

"And your mom?" he asked curiously.

"She passed away a few years back." her voice had become softer as she looked down momentarily.

L stopped in his tracks; he messed up, "Oh I’m sorry I didn’t-"

Hana had kept walking but when she felt him stop she turned around and to see his apologetic expression.

She shook her head as to reassure that he had said nothing wrong, "its okay. How could you know? Trust me it’s fine." 

It seemed like the wound was still fresh though so he didn’t want to push it, "So..." he began as they started moving again, "where's your dad now?"

"He's back in the States."

He furrowed his brow, slightly confused, "and you're here?"

She nodded, "I live with Meilin and her parents. Me and my family were planning on living here permanently like how the others did but after what happened with my mom..." she drifted off mid-sentence.

He couldn't imagine her pain, "my dad took it the hardest you know? So he decided to move back home in Miami be with the family there."

He nodded in understanding, "what made you decide to stay?"

She considered it for a moment, "mm, I was about to start high school and all of my friends are here. I took the trouble to learn the language and mannerisms so I definitely wasn’t going to let that go to waste." she let out a soft sigh, "honestly... I just see this as home now. It wouldn't be right to leave home especially with my mom being here. Not just her though but everyone. Everything I know now is here. I couldn’t leave."

"I’m glad you decided to stay" his smile was earnest and Hana caught on to this.

She smiled back, "I'm glad too."

They passed Dongwoo's house, followed by L's and continued a couple of houses down.

She really does live by me. L thought as they got to the seventh house down from his own.

It was a white house and at the entrance was a white wall with an Iron Gate door in the center. Beside it o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter