Gifted?

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Hi everyone! I just wanted to thank you guys for reading my story again! I know not much has happened so far, but I hope you enjoy this chapter :)

As Jay pulls away, he says goodnight and makes his way back to the house. Flustered, Gina drives away immediately. She didn't know why, but she felt her heart thumping.

She took a quick look at the roses on the passenger seat then back at the road. There was a sudden flash of red so Gina slammed on her brake. She closed her eyes tight and opened them. It was just a red light, Gina thought, she wasn't seeing things again. But then she noticed something while people were crossing the road. A man in particular. As he was jogging across the street, Gina saw that line of flashing red again, this time more clearly as she focused on it. It came down from his hand, and as she followed it, it lead to a woman on the other side of the street who was smiling brightly. When he reached the women they hugged and Gina saw how the red stopped flashing and was solid red. The couple kissed and when they held hands, the red disappeared. Gina felt confused. What is she seeing? She looked back at the remaining pedestrians rushing across the street. She observed their hands and noted how instead of red, there were pink lines that went straight to the ground. That was when she saw a web of pink and red lines, and it reminded her of the previous day at the club. 

 

Once Gina got home, she called out for Ailee who ran out of her room at the sound of Gina's voice.

"How was your date?? Oh my god, he got you... wait, what are those exactly?" Ailee asks, pointing to the paper roses.

"Roses, made from tissue paper. Like I said, it wasn't a date! And I was totally overdressed."

"What-" Before Ailee was able to do anything, Gina dropped the bag of side dishes and the roses to the ground and quickly grabbed Ailee's hands, inspecting them, front to back.

"What are you doing?" Ailee asks, confused.

"I'm just looking for... Forget it." After seeing no sign of that redish, pink line, Gina doubted herself. "I probably am seeing things."

"Like what?"

"You wouldn't... it won't make sense," Gina says.

"Try me. But first, get changed and wash up then we can talk."

Gina picks up the roses and lays them on the dining table and grabs the bag and goes to the fridge to place the side dishes.

"My mom says hi by the way, she hopes you enjoy these dishes. She also misses you and wants to you drop by some time."

"She made me food?? I love your mom. And her cooking. Here, you wash up and I'll put these away," offers Ailee. 

 

That night, the girls snuggled up on the sofa after Gina washed up. Gina started off by telling Ailee how it was just a dinner with their moms. Then she told Ailee about the roses and the kiss.

"That's so cute! The roses, I mean. As for the kiss... how did you feel?" Ailee asks curiously.

"I don't know... but it wasn't bad. To be honest, my heart was beating hard. I know how he feels about me but I don't want to ruin this friendship we have."

"Friendship? What friendship? You guys saw each other every summer for what, 2 months? For how many summers? 3, 4? After that no contact whatsoever for 12 years. You had a crush on him, and he had one on you. There's more romance in this relationship than friendship, I'd say, even though you guys were young. You should give him a chance." Ailee pauses and looks at Gina. "Gina, your heart was beating! That should mean something right? At least give him a chance."

"I- but what about you? You were into him after the performance. How can I-"

"Gina, that's not important. It was in the moment kind of thing. You though, there's something between you two. There can be something, anyways. Try it out," suggests Ailee. Gina sighs, and finally agrees. 

"Okay, so let's see what you have planned for tomorrow." Ailee picks up a rose and unrolls it.

"'Movie. You choose.' Know any good movies out?" Ailee asks to which Gina shakes her head.

"We'll just go to the theatre and watch whatever movie is showing."

"Okay. Not very thought out but exciting." Ailee reaches out for Gina's phone and quickly sends Jay a texting telling him tomorrow was movie night.

"Now, what's this whole thing that doesn't make sense apparently?"

"I don't know where to start. So as I was driving home, I see a sudden flash of red. At first I thought it was just the traffic light but now that I think about it, it's the second time I have seen it, which was yesterday. Anyways, as I focused on this one man crossing the street I realized a thin string? I don't even know what it is but it was a red line that was flashing red. It came from his hand and it lead to this woman's hand. When they were together it stopped flashing and disappeared. After that, I noticed the same on other people. Some red, some pink that all meshed together into something weblike on the ground. All tangled." Gina paused waiting for Ailee to say something but Ailee stayed quiet. It seemed like she was thinking.

"Yesterday, when I was with Yong Guk walking back to the booth, there was also that flash of red that crossed my path. That's why I caused that little accident. I thought I was lacking sleep or maybe had a little too much to drink. But today, I clearly saw that one man... I sound crazy don't I?"

"No. You said it was string like? It started from the man and ended at the hand of the woman? Gina, you got the eye of Cupid or something??" Ailee asks, her eyes wide with excitement.

"What are you- Yes that's what I saw but... What, Cupid?" Gina asks, confused.

"Maybe it's some gift. You know the whole soulmate theory how you're destined to your soulmate and is connected to one another by a red thread? Except, I don't know why it'd be flashing. Was it flashing like lights?"

"Yes. No. More like it disappeared and reappeared but just brighter each time? I don't know. Do you hear yourself Ailee? Does it even make sense? Me, gifted? How? Why?"

"I don't know. Is it a genetic kind of thing? You inherited the ability from your mom?"

"I don't know... what if it isn't and my mom thinks I'm crazy when I ask her?" In reply to Gina's question, Ailee shrugs her shoulders.

"Wait, so you couldn't see a string on my hand? Check again!" Ailee raises her hands up in front of Gina for inspection.

"Nope, nothing."

"Does that mean there's no man I'm destined to be with? Lonely forever?" There was a devastated look on Ailee's face, causing Gina to burst out laughing.

"What? Do you see it but playing me?" Ailee asks seriously.

"No, I really don't see it but your face just now was really funny, haha."

"What about you?" Ailee grabs and raises Gina's hands up. "See anything?"

Gina focuses on her hand but nothing. "Nope, nothing." She wraps her arm around Ailee's shoulders. "Don't worry, we have each other!" 

They laugh about it then decide to head to bed. In bed, Gina thought about what Ailee said. Was she gifted? It still seem bizarre to her but what Ailee said seemed true. She eventually fell asleep thinking about it.

 

Gina looked up, finding herself in a wedding hall. She looked down and found herself in a lacey, white dress. She then felt someone tugging on her dress from behind so she turns around to find a little girl. The little girl seemed so familiar to Gina but who was she? The homeless girl! Only she didn't look so homeless anymore. She was in an adorable pink dress holding a bouquet of flowers. Where were they anyway? Gina examined her surroundings, recognizing no one. Once again, the little girl tugged at her dress and motioned Gina to follow her. Through the crowd, Gina was finally lead to a man. All she saw was him from behind but she noticed the girl pointing to his hand. She starred at it for a while and slowly, a red thread started to form. She followed it down to the floor then up to her hand. Her hand? Was this the man she was destined to be with with? She glanced up to the man then at the girl with a questioning look. The little girl nod with a smile and walks back into the crowd. Gina straightens up and taps him on the shoulder. He slowly turns his head and-

"Gina, wake up! You're going to be late!" shouts Hyungsik, patting on Gina's shoulder. "Half an hour before 9! What were you girls doing all night that you both slept in?"

Gina bolts right up and goes to grab the painting. It was the girl, this painting. She heads to Ailee's room who was in the middle of putting on her shirt.

"Gina! Gina, it's you. Thought it was Hyungsik," Ailee sighs with relief. "Whats-"

"Ailee, this is it!" Gina lays down the painting on the bed. 

"It's what?"

"Look at this! A woman here, a man there. Look at this red line connecting the two. Just like you said. And this river of red, it's like that web of thread I was telling you about! It make sense. It was the little girl!" explains Gina. "After she gave me this painting she said something to me about helping people then I'll finally be able to find my way."

"What you're saying is, this girl gave you the gift? Or maybe it's the painting. If I touch it, think I'll get the gift too?" Gina shrugs her shoulders as Ailee rubs her finger on the frame. "Helping people... Match making? Find your way... Find the One??"

"I had this dream Ailee! She led me to this man. I didn't see his face. Well I almost did! He was about to turn around but Hyungsik woke me up."

"That Hyungsik! Why??"

"Called me?" asks Hyungsik, poking his head in the room.

"No! Now get out! I don't want to see your face," jokes Ailee, sticking her tongue out at him.

"Tick tock Gina!" reminds Hyungsik.

"Right! Going right now!" Gina runs out of the room to go wash up.

"What's this all about?" asks Hyungsik, pointing to the painting.

"Something... surreal," replies Ailee.