Chapter 2

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

"How are my girls today?" Hyungsik asked, Ailee and Gina's other bestfriend. He sat in between the two ladies on the couch watching TV, putting each of his arms around their shoulders and pulling them close. 

The three of them had met in junior high when Gina moved back to Korea from Canada in the summer. She met Ailee on the bus on the first day and helped her with directions to the school. Turned out they were also in the same homeroom class. On the same day during lunch break, they met Hyungsik, who was being teased by the other boys on how scrawny and feminine-like he was. The guys kept calling Hyungsik gay and other names, and Ailee, who couldn't stand and watch, went and stood up to the bullies. Since then, the three of them were like family. 

"Gina?" Hyungsik looked at her.

"You okay?" She gave him a nod. "Ailee helped," she added.

"Well I'm glad that has been done. You've been worried all night."

"She met someone today," Ailee declared. Both Hyungsik and Gina's heads turned to her and then Hyungsik turned back to Gina. She looked at him then Ailee, wide eyed.

"What are you-"

"Sang Woo's appa," stated Ailee. "I think he's a single dad. I saw the way he smiled at you."

"No. I'm not ready to be in another relationship either. Yah, we were talking, teacher to parent." Then, Gina remembered something and sighed, hand rubbing her forehead.

"What? What is it?" Hyungsik questioned.

"He thinks Ailee's the teacher, and I a mother." She glanced over to Ailee. "He was smiling about you. Talking about how bright you look."

"Really?" Ailee was excited. "First Dong Woo then him." Ailee was all smiles but Hyungsik's face hardened.

"Who's Dong-" he started but was interrupted.

"Wait, he thinks I'm the teacher. Why? And why didn't you correct him?"

"He saw you this morning greeting the other parents when I was gone." Gina buries her face in her hands. "I don't know why I didn't correct him. Why didn't I? I told him ... ah, this is so embarassing."

"Let's see how it goes tomorrow then." Ailee gets up. "My turn for dinner."

As Ailee headed toward the kitchen, Hyungsik asked Gina who Dong Woo was. She told him Dong Woo was the grade 1 teacher whose classroom was across from hers. Gina left to go shower, leaving Hyungsik by himself in the living room mumbling under his breath.

~ - ~

Friday

It was finally the end of the week. Gina got to know more of her students and their parents when they picked up and dropped off their kids. Except Sang Woo's that is. On Tuesday, the second day, she was expecting to see Doo Joon but he didn't show up. Instead, a young woman have been dropping off and picking up Sang Woo the rest of the week. They would just greet and then she'd leave. Must be his mom, Gina thought. 

Thanks to Ailee, Gina kept thinking about Doo Joon since Monday evening. Not that she was attracted to him but she felt more and more embarrassed the more she thought about him. Why didn't she clarify her identity to him? Why did she talk about Yong Guk? She just wanted to see him to explain to him but since she hasn't seen him, the more uneasy she felt.

It was almost home time and Ailee dropped by to see the kids. As Ailee was standing at the door talking to Dong Woo, Gina was finishing up writing a note to the parents in the kids' agenda asking them to read their library book to them.  She returned the agendas and just on time, the bell rang. Gina walked to the door to join Ailee, wishing her students and their parents a great weekend as they left. 

"You're only here because of Dong Woo huh?" Gina asked Ailee.

"Maybe," Ailee replied, sticking out her tongue. Her 'maybe' reminded Gina of Doo Joon.

"Sigh, need to stop thinking about him," she mumbled as she went to grab her bag.

"Who?" Ailee asked.

"What?"

"You said something about thinking of someone."

"Huh? No... I... Said how you're always thinking of Dong Woo."

"No I don't! Anyways, let's go. Sik-kie is waiting for us at the shop."

 

When they arrived in the parking lot outside the cake shop, Ailee received a text from Hyungsik telling her that Yong Guk was inside. The two waited inside the car in silence.

"Wonder how he knew about the shop," Ailee asked. "Unless... it's because we live nearby?"

She looked at Gina. "No, it's because of Hyungsik. He probably mentioned it when he went to the hospital these last few days."

"Hospital? Is Hyungsik okay?" Gina asked with worry.

"Yeah, he said he has some business with Dr. Lee. If you ask me, I think Sikkie has a little crush on Dr. Lee. I'm just wondering if they have a thing going on between the two of them." That made Gina laugh.

"What makes you think that?" she asked Ailee.

"You remember, the first time we met him and ... Yong Guk." Ailee looked at Gina and then continued. "Hyungsik acted like he didn't know Dr. Lee and they barely talked when you visited... Anyways just last week when I went grocery shopping, I bumped into him and he kept asking me about Sikkie. He couldn't contact Hyungsik and asked me for his number, in case the number changed but it was the same number. He seemed worried and asked me to tell Hyunsik to contact him, saying it was an emergency. Emergency... do you think that's code for something? Well after I told Sikkie, he's been making visits to the hospital. So I conclude, they are seeing each other."

"But don't you think he'd tell us?"

"Maybe he's planning to soon. I don't know but I'm happy for him. He hasn't dated anyone ever! Well all these years he hasn't introduced us to any guy. Oh! Yong Guk's leaving. Let's go."

 

Inside, Hyungsik was busy taking someone's order so Gina sat herself down at a table with Ailee. When Hyungsik was done, he walked over to the girls.

"How may I help you today," he asked playfully, pretending they were customers.

"Tell me what Yong Guk was here for," Ailee demanded. Hyungsik's eyes darted from Ailee to Gina.

"He... he wanted a cake," stammered Hyungsik.

"Lies. I saw him leave empty handed." Just then, Ailee noticed a card sticking out from Hyungsik's apron and pulled it out.

"What this?" She read the front of the card and her eyes shot up to Gina.

"What?" Gina asked.

"Nothing," Ailee said as she reached out to hand Hyungsik the card but Gina grabbed it before Hyungsik had the chance to.

As Gina read the card, she felt her chest tighten, like someone was squeezing her heart and crushing it into million of pieces.

"Shall we go for drinks?" Gina suggested, sliding the card across the table to Hyungsik.

 

Ailee closed her shop an hour early, claiming that her shop wasn't busy yet any way, and the three of them went home to get ready. Gina and Ailee met Hyungsik in the bar. When Gina sat down, she ordered a drink immediately, asking for something strong. Both Ailee and Hyungsik were silent, not knowing what to say and just looked at Gina, worried.

"Hey! Ailee! Miss Choi!" yelled a voice behind Ailee. Ailee turned to see Dong Woo.

"Hey! Dong Woo!" she stood up to greet him. Hyungsik's head shot in Dong Woo's direction. Ailee, knowing how Gina was feeling, left with Dong Woo because he wanted to introduce them to his friends and knew Gina wasn't in the mood to meet new people.

"I'll be right back," she told Gina and then instructed Hyungsik to watch Gina for a bit in case she gets drunk. He wanted to object but Ailee left before he could say anything and muttered 'Dong Woo' under his breath. 

In silence, both Gina and Hyungsik start chugging down some drinks.

"Everything okay?" Gina suddenly asked Hyungsik. "You seem down too."

"I... just got some stuff going on. I'll let you know about it soon. Just... not now." Gina nodded understandingly.

"You?" he asked but quickly added, "You okay with being alone for a bit? I need to go to the washroom."

Again, Gina nodded and Hyungsik left. Alone, Gina stared at her cup blankly, the word wedding repeatedly ringing in her ears. Yong Guk was getting married. Soon, her vision blurred and tears started flowing. She chugged down the rest of her drink and got up to leave the bar.

Outside, Gina sat down on a bench in front of the bar trying to calm herself down. She buried her face in her hands, counted to ten, then wiped her tears away. Looking up, she noticed a little homeless girl sitting at the curb, selling a painting. Gina approached the little girl and observed the beautiful painting. It was a picture mainly of a man and a woman at opposite sides of a river but they were connected by a red string. In the background, there were other couples with their strings connected in different shades of red and some strings that just joined into the red river of strings.

"Are you okay?" the little girl asked Gina. She smiled and asked the girl if she made the painting.

"Mhmm."

"How much are you selling this for?"

"As much as you're willing to give me."

Gina pulled out her wallet from her bag and handed the little girl $100. She looked down, astonished.

"I... I can't accept this. It's too much." The little girl returned the money to Gina but she pushed it back to the girl.

"You said I can give you what ever amount. I think this painting is beautiful."

The little girl thanked Gina and grabbed her hands. She whispered something into Gina's ear, pointing to the painting and then gave Gina a hug, and ran away happily. Gina stood and examined the painting thoughtfully, trying to make sense what the little girl said. Again, the thought of Yong Guk's wedding returned and she gloomily walked home. At the front door of the apartment, Gina realized she didn't bring her keys and called Ailee, which the call was not picked up. She sat down at the door, her knees wrapped around her arms against her chest with the painting beside her. Gina continued to think about Yong Guk and began to cry again.

 

Gina woke up, her head pounding. She laid there, trying to remember the night before. Remembering very little, Gina looked at the clock that read 2:18 in the afternoon. Hearing the TV outside, Gina sluggishly got up and goes to the living room, finding Hyungsik watching TV.

"You're up!" Hyungsik shouted and ran over to Gina to support her.

"You were in deep sleep so Ailee left for work this morning. She had some trouble getting up also. I made you some soup though!" He lead her to the kitchen and heats her up some soup.

"You left so suddenly yesterday, both Ailee and I were really worried. I came back and you were gone so i thought you joined Ailee and that Dong Woo. I went to look for you guys, which took a while but when I found Ailee, I realized you weren't with her. Ailee checked the washrooms and we made a few rounds around the bar and area. She noticed a missed call from you but when she called you back, you didn't pick up. Ailee wanted to go home to change into more comfortable clothes to go look for you and that's how we found you." Hyungsik explained everthing so quickly that he had to take a deep breath when he finished.

"I'm sorry, I just-"

"No need to apologize. I know how you must be feeling right now. About the wedding invitation though... he was hoping I can go. I don't have to go if you don't want me to."

Oh right, the wedding, Gina thought. Slowly, the night was coming to her.

"No, go. He wants you there. He might need you. I'm... okay now." This time Gina looked at Hyungsik with a reassuring smile, in which he returned.

"Okay. Let me get myself some soup too." 

As Hyungsik stood up, Gina noticed a red thread around Hyungsik's hand.

"You got a loose red thread hanging from the sleeve your sweater," informed Gina.

"Thanks," Hyungsik replied then looked at his sleeve. There was no red thread. His sweater was black.