Broken Heart

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Gina decided to take a nice shower to wake herself up, as she was still feeling a bit drowsy. With the water hitting against the top of her head, Gina thought back to last night, her memory still a little fuzzy. All she remembered was drinking and being upset over the wedding invitation. Yong Guk's. Gina sighed. The night of the break up had her heart broken, to which she was slowly recovering from from efforts of distractions made by her two best friends, but then came the news of Yong Guk's wedding and her heart felt crushed once again. However, she wanted to be strong this time. No more crying. It had been about a month since the break up and she no longer wanted to sulk over something that couldn't be the same as it was before. She needed to move on, move on from that fateful day...

~ - ~

One Month Ago

"Finally! We're done!" exclaimed Ailee as she plopped down in the middle of her just-made bed. Gina and Hyungsik joined Ailee, sitting on each side beside her.

"We're finally moving in together," Gina added, smiling down at Ailee.

"I can just sleep here, right now," claimed Ailee as she grabbed a pillow, turned on her side facing Gina and hugged the pillow, snuggling up into the fetal position and closed her eyes. "I'm so tired and sore."

"Yah! Get up," Hyunsik shouted and slapped Ailee on the . "You need to shower. You're all ... sweaty and gross."

Ailee's shot up, glaring at Hyunsik, though her expression soon softens.

"Sometimes I forget that you're gay. If you weren't, I wouldn't have let you off that easily for hitting my bottom!" 

"Pft, what can you do?" Hyungsik scoffed, playfully.

"What?" Ailee took her pillow and threw it at Hyungsik's face, which started a tickle war and a pillow fight. Not wanting to be involved, Gina got up and declared that she was going to go shower first and left the room.

 

For dinner, the trio had planned to go to a nice fancy restaurant to celebrate Gina and Ailee moving in together and also the return of Yong Guk, Gina's boyfriend, who just recently returned from a trip. It would be the first time in three months that they'll see each other.

Yong Guk was a pediatrician, whom Gina met when she came across two little kids fooling around on a bike in her neighbourhood, which resulted in one of them being badly injured. She drove the two of them to the hospital to which Yong Guk was in charge of the kids. When he found out she wasn't the guardian but just a passerby who willingly helped, he complimented her and they were soon talking. When another emergency called for him, he quickly scribbled down his number for Gina and told her to contact him and that he'd be waiting. They eventually met up for a proper outing, got to know each other more and the attraction grew. Finally after a month, he asked her out. Soon, Yong Guk has also become close to Ailee and especially Hyungsik.

"He said he'll be a few minutes late. He's on his way," Hyungsik announced as he read the text from Yong Guk.

"Why'd he text you and not Gina?" Ailee asked to which Hyungsik shrugged his shoulders with a sly smile plastered across his face. Ailee eyed him suspiciously.

"Anyways, Gina. Tonight, I'll be out. Home late, or possibly be out all night. You have the place all to yourself and Yong Guk tonight. Use this opportunity to-"

"Yah Ailee! I-" Gina began to object but also got interrupted.

"Yes, definitely! You guys need some time together. I'll be with Ailee so you don't have to worry," Hyungsik added excitedly.

"But I-"

"No buts. He's handsome, smart and rich. You guys are reaching your fourth year, which is officially tomorrow! So you must... Yong Guk!" Ailee was looking toward the entrance, raising her hand up hoping Yong Guk would see. He did, and made his way toward the table. Upon reaching the table, Gina stands up to give him a hug. 

"Hey beautiful," Yong Guk whispered and handed her a bundle of roses. She thanked him and he gave her a peck on the lips.

After the two love birds sat themselves down, dinner started. Throughout the evening, Yong Guk told the trio of his volunteer experience in the countryside while they updated him on what had been going on while he was gone.

"Well! Ailee and I have some plans so we'll be leaving now," Hyungsik announced as he got up, pulling Ailee with him. Yong Guk also stood up and as Hyungsik passed him, they embraced in a hug. Hyungsik and Ailee left, followed by Yong Guk and Gina.

 

"I missed you, a lot," Gina whispered, short of breath.

"Me too," Yong Guk says, and then continued to kiss Gina. 

"Want to... go upstairs?" Gina asked, breaking away from their makeout session. They were in the parking lot of Gina's apartment.

"Yes," Yong Guk replied softly.

"But first, I need... to tell you something." His face became serious, almost scared, but before he was able to say anything else, he received a call from the hospital. It was an emergency and he was needed ASAP. He apologized and Gina said she'd wait for him at the hospital, so they left together.

 

"What was that 'good luck' about?" Ailee asked Hyungsik in the car, parked outside his apartment building.

"What?"

"I heard you whisper that when you hugged Yong Guk, which may I add, was odd by the way."

"You heard wrong."

"No I didn't. Tell me!" Ailee poked Hyungsik on his side. "Is he... you know... tonight..."

"It'll be one special night, that's for sure."

Ailee's eyes widened. "Really???"

"Well, not what you're thinking. Yong Guk's going to... propose!"

"WHAT! OH MY GOSH, REALLY?? Why didn't you tell me??"

"You won't be able to keep that from Gina."

"Who says??" Ailee asked, bewildered. Hyungsik just laughed and got out of the car.

 

Gina received a text from Yong Guk telling her that he needed to drop something off by his office and that he'll be right down. Gina decided to go up to his office anyway and meet him there. A few rooms away, Gina bumped into a fellow doctor.

"Doctor Lee!"

"Gina! You're looking... pretty tonight," complimented Lee Ji Wook, a doctor whom Gina got to know on the day she met Yong Guk.

"You must be looking for Yong Guk. I just saw him go into his office," he said, pointing behind him. "I'll be heading home now, good to see you!"

"Thank you," Gina said, waving good bye.

Approaching Yong Guk's office, Gina was about to push the slightly opened door when she heard Yong Guk's shakened voice.

"No, no, no! That can't be possible. You said..."

"I lied," said a woman. "That night-"

"No, stop! I... I don't want to hear anymore. I can't-"

"You don't have to do anything. I'm not making you-"

"I'm sorry Hye Ri, I... I need time to think."

Yong Guk opened the door and was then face-to-face with a shocked and confused Gina.

"Gina! I... you..."

"No, no you can't be. When? No!" yelled Gina, shaking her head, her eyes b with tears. As Gina turned to leave, Yong Guk grabbed her arm.

"I- Gina, I'll explain!"

Gina looked up and saw a young woman, a nurse, standing behind Yong Guk who bowed to greet her.

"Let go of me!" Gina pulled herself away from Yong Guk's grasp and ran for the elevator, sobbing.

 

Once Gina got home, she dropped right down to the floor next to the door, crying. Minutes later, there was a ring of the door bell then some knocking.

"Gina? Gina!" shouts Yong Guk through the door.

"Go! I... don't want to see you!" cries Gina through her sobs.

"Gina," he said more softly. "I know you don't want to see me, but please listen. Please!" 

There was no reply from Gina but Yong Guk told his story.

"I- What I wanted to tell you earlier, hoping you'll accept me after my confession was that I might've slept with that nurse. She was one of the few that also went to the country side. I missed you and one of the sick kids passed away, it was really hard. So that night I drank, a lot. When I woke up, I, ugh... she was in bed next to me. She told me nothing happened but how can I believe that when my clothes were-. I was going to tell you about that but then at the hospital just now, she came into my office telling me that she was 6 weeks into her pregnancy." He paused for a while, then continued, "I don't know what to do Gina. I don't. I know I need to take responsibility for my actions but I... don't love her. I love you."

The three words broke Gina. She started bawling and she couldn't stop. She heard him apologize and bid his goodbye, causing her to cry even harder. Gina did not know how long she was crying for but Ailee and Hyungsik came running in. They froze when they saw Gina next to the door.

"Gina!" Ailee cried out, kneeling down to hug Gina. "Are you okay?" Seeing Gina in such a state, Ailee started crying with her.

"Do you want to talk about it? Shhh, don't cry," Ailee said as she wipes away Gina's tears. Ailee and Hyungsik pulls Gina up and helps her walk to the living room to sit down on the couch.

"It's okay, it's okay Gina," comforted Ailee, her arms around Gina, rubbing her arm.

Hyungsik slowly gets up, hoping not to be noticed and makes his way toward Gina's room. Unfortunately, Gina noticed.

"Why are you going to my room? Why are you holding those roses?" she asks, walking up to Hyungsik.

"I-" Hyungsik needed to think of an excuse but couldn't so he told her the truth.

"Hyung needed me to do something..." Hyungsik explained quietly.

"Yong Guk? Why!?" Gina snatches the bundle of roses out of Hyungsik's hands and threw it to the ground. She collapses to the flloor once again, crying. "Why??"

Then she notices a slip of paper attached to the bottom of one of the rose stem. She picks it up and wipes away her tears to read the note.

"Happy Anniversary Gina!

The 4 years spent with you were the happiest times of my life, and I feel so blessed. I couldn't ask for more except one thing. It's hidden somewhere in your room, go find it!

I love you,
Yong Guk

P.S. I love you <3"

Gina stood up and opened her bedroom door. Standing at the door, the three looked inside. Ailee gasped. Heart shaped balloons were hanging from her ceiling. Gina scanned her room, then walked around, scrambling to find whatever Yong Guk has hidden in her room. Then it caught her eye. The teddy bear on her vanity table. It was holding a heart with the words "I Love You" written on it and a note on the table saying "press me." She pressed the bear at its center, feeling something hard and at the same time the words "I Love You" played in Yong Guk's voice. She pressed the bear again, to feel the center and this time the message was "Will you marry me?"

She started crying again while Ailee gasped an 'oh my god' and cried in Hyungsik's arms. Gina pressed on the bear one more time, a different message played. " me!" he said, in a high voice. Gina was sobbing as she s the back of the teddy to take out a box. Knowing what was inside, she couldn't stop her tears as she opened the box to reveal a beautiful diamond ring. Both Hyungsik and Ailee came to Gina's side and hugged her, the two girls crying together.