The Truth

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

"Gina!" Dr. Lee continued to call out, eventually catching up to her. "Gina? What's wrong?"

"I... Hye Ri..." Gina stammered, looking up at Dr. Lee with a puzzled expression. Her mind was once again a mess, wondering if the referred Hye Ri was the same one marrying Yong Guk. Gina reminded herself that it could be someone with the same name.

"Hye Ri?" Dr. Lee questioned and reached for the door in an attempt to push it open with right on cue, the door was pulled open. Standing in front of them was a male nurse, who nervously looked at Dr. Lee and greeted him.

"Ah, Tae Joo, were you just on the phone with Hye Ri?" Dr. Lee asked after noting a cellphone in the nurse's hand.

"Y-yes, I was just congratulating her and apologized for not being able to attend her wedding," explained Tae Joo, flustered. "Sorry, I have to get back to the ER."

"O-"

"You said 'our baby'," Gina interrupted, trying to make sense of what she heard after learning it was the same Hye Ri she knew. "You said you love her."

"What..." Dr. Lee looked at Tae Joo, who was shaking his head in denial, claiming Gina must've misheard him.

Dr. Lee quickly pieced it together and angrily questioned Tae Joo. "Is the baby yours?"

Gina held her breath while waiting for Tae Joo's answer. She was unsure of what she wanted to hear, whether the baby was Yong Guk's or not.

Tae Joo looked at Dr. Lee in the eyes and admitted defeat, nodding.

"Unbelievable," said Dr. Lee, disappointed. "Why?"

"It's not like we hurt anyone-"

"Her. She was hurt," Dr. Lee cutted off, pointing at Gina. Gina blankly looked at Tae Joo, feeling angry and sad. Angry at what Tae Joo and Hye Ri did and sad at what her relationship with Yong Guk had come to.

"Why her? Who is she?" Tae Joo asked, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Don't give me attitude. She's the one Dr. Bang left because of your baby."

"What? No. That can't be..." Tae Joo suddenly seemed confused and apologetic. "Hye Ri specifically told me no one was getting hurt because Dr. Bang was interested in her, he was single."

"You're kidding me," breathed Dr. Lee,rubbing his eyes. He turned to Gina. "I'm guessing this was all Hye Ri's doing, since Tae Joo didn't even know you existed."

"Hye Ri has no reason to lie to me," Tae Joo defended.

"I don't know why you guys did what you did but Yong Guk did offer to support the baby even if Hye Ri had a partner. She told him she didn't. Why did she lie about that when she had you?" As Gina asked, she saw a hurtful expression flash across Tae Joo's face. 

"I have to go," Gina added, thinking about Yong Guk. "I have to get answers."

Gina dashed out the door, wanting to see Hye Ri and hear her reasoning in person. Tae Joo was calling her back but she kept on going, hearing Dr. Lee stop him.

 

Gina caught a taxi to get to Ailee's cafe and called both her best friends but no one picked up. Unfortunately, traffic was bad so Gina paid the taxi driver and got out the door and ran. Upon reaching the cafe, Gina noticed the absence of the car she shared with Ailee and rushed inside. Mimi was by herself serving the few customers that dropped by for lunch break. As the line died down, Gina impatiently asked Mimi if she know where Ailee was.

"The delivery guy still hasn't arrived so Ailee went out to buy some fruits and other supplies. She should be back soon. Why, is something wrong Gina? You don't look-"

"Do you know where the wedding is taking place?"

Mimi frowned. "No, sorry I don't. Why don't you give Hyungsik a call?"

"I did but he's not picking up," Gina sighed. She should call Yong Guk, but hesitated. She should've asked Dr. Lee before leaving the hospital.

"Is everything okay?"

Gina shook her head. "No, no. I have to stop-"

Gina's phone rang, a call from Ailee. "Ailee! Where are you? I need the car."

"I'm on my way back but I'm stuck in traffic so not sure how much longer I'll be. It's been 15 minutes. Why?"

Gina sat down at a nearby table. "Do you know where the wedding is taking place?"

"Yeah, at that fancy hotel way west of the city. The Grand Seoul Ho- Gina, are you planning to crash the wedding?" Ailee's question was rushed and high pitched. Gina was unsure if Ailee was excited or worried.

"No. Yes... I don't know. It's not what you think though. The baby. The baby isn't his. I need answers from Hye Ri."

"What?! That b----! I knew something was off with her-"

"I have to go Ailee, thanks! The ceremony starts at 2 so I'll explain when I get back!" Gina hung up the phone before hearing what Ailee had to say and ran for the door. On her way out, Gina was momemtarily focused on checking the time on her phone and bumped into someone.

"I'm so sor-"

"Gina?"

Gina looked up and saw Doo Joon, smiling and giving her a little wave.

"Where are you off to in such a rush?" Doo Joon asked. For a second after seeing Doo Joon, Gina had blanked outbut when he asked the question, she remembered. "I have to go catch a taxi to the Grand Seoul Hotel. I can't waste anymore time, I have to go sorry!" Gina turned to leave but Doo Joon held her back. For the contact, Doo Joon immediated retracted and apologized, offering to give Gina a ride.

"No, it's okay. Sang Woo must be waiting-"

"You said you're limited on time. Finding a taxi is one thing but traffic around here has been bad due to a collision a few blocks away. I know a route to the hotel with less traffic since I just came back from that direction."

Gina thought out her options and reluctantly agreed. "Thank you."

 

In the car, the two were silent. Gina fidgeted every time they approached a traffic light and continuously checked the time.

"Do you mind me asking why you're in such a rush?" Doo Joon asked, breaking the silences as he turned into the highway.

"No, not at all." Gina sighed. "I'm hoping the wedding will be stopped."

When Doo Joon had a look of concern, Gina explained herself. "It's not what you think. I... need answers from Hye Ri. The baby isn't Yong Guk's. He should know that."

"Why don't you give him a call to let him know?"

"I want to hear what Hye Ri has to say first, why she decided to do what she did. I think she should be the one to explain it to Yong Guk, not me."

Doo Joon nodded. "You have a point. She should be the one to tell him."

"I just hope she's not playing any games. She definitely lied to Tae Joo and I want to know why."

"She may have her reasons, I don't know."

Gina looked out the window, staring at the skying, hoping Hye Ri had a good reason for the mess.

"Thank you for driving me, really. You must've missed Sang Woo and Sung H-"

"No need to apologize. I was happy to run into you," Doo Joon interrupted, his eyes still on the road.

"I'll see them soon," he quickly added, noting the awkwardness that arised. Gina nodded.

"So... after this is revealed, what is going to happen between you and Yong Guk? Will you guys be getting back together?"

"I really don't know." Gina frowned. "Things have changed."

Doo Joon didn't want to pry into her business any further so the rest of the car ride was rode in silence.

 

Upon arriving to the hotel, Gina quickly apologized and thanked Doo Joon once more. She lastly added that he didn't have to wait for her. As she opened the door and was about to step out the car, Doo Joon pulled her back, reached behind him to grab a scarf out of his duffle bag.

"The weather has been changing, for the better that is. I mean, November is almost over and it hasn't snowed. It's cold so take this."

At first, Gina refused but Doo Joon kept insisting, otherwise he'll stay. Gina gave in and took the scarf, wrapping it a few times around her next, then turned around and ran into the hotel. It didn't take her long to find the hall; there were signs everywhere pointing down the hall to the left. At the door stood Hyungsik next to Yong Guk greeting friends and family. As she reached the door, Gina tugged on Hyungsik's arm while Yong Guk was in the middle of greeting his uncle.

"Where's your phone?" she whispered.

"Gina?" Hyungsik asked quite loudly, catching Yong Guk's attention. "What are you doing here?"

"Where is Hye Ri?" Gina asked instead of replying.

Hyungsik pointed toward an open door inside the hall. "In there taking pictures with the guests. Why?"

"I need answers," GIna replied and walked through the entrancfe past Hyungsik and Yong Guk. Not fast enough, Yong Guk grasped her arm, wondering the same thing as Hyungsik. She shook off his arm and headed toward Hye Ri's room. Yong Guk attempted to question her again but was called back by Hyungsik to greet an important guest: Hye Ri's grandmother.

Gina entered the room and waited at the door while guests emptied out. She closed it when the last guest left to prevent anyone from entering, locking it behind her. .

"Gina, why are you here?" Hye Ri asked arrogantly. "Not here to crash this wedding, are you?"

"Depends actually."

"What do you want?"

"Answer. Answers to your pregnancy, this wedding. Why? Why Yong Guk?" Gina tried to stay calm, even though she wanted to do something about Hye Ri's attitude.

"You must've heard from Tae Joo," Hye Ri sighed. "No wonder he's been calling me nonstop since awhile ago. I knew he would blab sooner or later."

"What?" Gina asked, astounded. She couldn't believe her ears.

"What are you going to do if I don't tell you? You know his mom won't accept you anyway. She likes me. She told me about you, how you're unfit for her son," she attacked.

"Stop Hye Ri. I just want to know why-"

"I like him, Yong Guk. I mean, what's not to like about him? He's smart, caring, handsome and rich." Hye Ri got up and walked toward Gina, leaning in to her ear and whispered. "And that body, whew."

Gina clenched her fist, holding in her anger. She knew better than to react, fully aware Hye Ri was trying to tick her off. She wondered what use that was. "What about Tae Joo?"

"As you must know, Tae Joo didn't have my father's blessing to take my hand in marriage. My parents wanted someone higher up to marry their daughter, to ensure that she was in capable hands. Tae Joo is leveled with me, us both being nurses. He just started out not too long ago, so he isn't making much as I am. Once I leave for maternity, can he support us financially?"

"Yong Guk offered to support you even if you had a lover! Why'd you lie about it? Why did you lie to Tae Joo-"

"I became greedy after learning about Yong Guk. After spending some time with him, I began to have feelings for him. To make it work, I had to lie to Tae Joo, assure him we were certainly not harming anyone. I told him that Yong Guk was interested in me, to show him that I'd be taken care of and our baby would be supported; that's all he needed to hear to follow along. I even told him "

"You're despicable," Gina said through her teeth. "How can you do that to someone who obviously love and care for you?"

"I had a change of heart. Humans are selfish creatures. They act so the benefits outweigh the costs. Saying this, I am going to guess that when this conversation is over, you will be running to Yong Guk to tell him the truth, in hopes of being together again," mocked Hye Ri.

"You're wrong," Gina said, disgusted. "I only came here to hear your reasoning, to get answers. It's your story to tell, not me. I am hoping that you would be a decent enough, to have a heart to tell him, and let him leave this hell hole."

"Is that what he calls it? A hell hole." Hye Ri bursted out laughing. "Well, thanks, that's very nice of you letting me make the decision. Now, I'll return you a favour."

Hye Ri leaned in toward Gina once more in whispers. "To tell you the truth, we didn't make love that night. We were close to though. He was drunk, feeling sad after seeing a sick child and he missed you. I talked to him about it, then he mistook me for you. He pulled me into him, kissing and touching me. It was a new feeling and I loved it so I went along with it. I was stripped down, I was ready-"

"I don't want to know. Stop, please." Gina pleaded but Hye Ri continued, assuring Gina would want to know what happened. "I was ready but then he stopped me, telling me how much he wanted to go farther but won't because he knows you're saving it until marriage, a special day. What a gentleman."

It broke Gina's heart to hear the truth, to hear how much Yong Guk loved and respected her. There was banging and knocking at the door, a woman calling to ask if Hye Ri was alright. Hye Ri walked to the door and looked at Gina.

"I think that is the end of our conversation. Now please, if you don't mind," Hye Ri said, motioning at the door. As Gina got closer, she hoped one last time that Hye Ri can change her mind for the better. Hye Ri shrugged in response and opened the door for Gina, who came face to face with Yong Guk and his mother.

"What are you doing here? Did you invite her?" she asked her son, bewildered. "You should know better. How did I raise you?"

Gina pushed through between them but was caught by Yong Guk's grasp again. She pulled away, hearing him asked about the baby. Gina told him to get answers from Hye Ri and bolted for the exit where Hyungsik was standing. He stopped her, looking at her worriedly.

"Gina! What went on in there? Is the baby really not his?"

She looked at Hyungsik confusingly. "How did you- How did Yong Guk know?"

Just as she asked, the answer came to her simultaneously when Hyungsik replied 'Ailee'.

"So it's true then? Wow, I-I'm in shock."

"Sorry Hyungsik, I need air. I need to get out of here." Gina left and headed outside. At the hotel entrance, she saw Tae Joo.

"Did you already talk to her?" he asked, seemingly sad and unsettled. Gina nodded and told him to go find some answers himself. Tae Joo rushed inside while Gina continued down the steps.

She looked up to the sky, asking God to give her a sign on what to do. Should she just keep walking or go back? Gina closed her eyes momentarily until she felt soft drips on her face. She opened her eyes and realized it was snowing. It finally snowed. Was this a sign? She looked forward and was surprised to see Doo Joon walking toward her. Gina took a few steps to meet him in the middle, asking why he was still there.

"I had a feeling you'd need a ride back. I didn't think you'd take too long to get your answer," he replied then looked up in the sky with a smile. "It's snowing."

She raised her face toward the sky once more, acknowledging that it was a sign for her to leave. She was meant to walk away. "Please get me out of here."

Gina followed Doo Joon a few steps when someone was yelling out her name from behind. She turned around to find Yong Guk running after her. When he caught up to Gina, she held both her hands in his. "Gina, why didn't you tell me? Do you know what this means? Things can go back to the way they were. We can start again, be hap-"

"No Yong Guk, things have changed."

"No, no. You still love me, don't you? I still love you. What's stopping us?"

"Yong Guk, I need... more time to think, to figure all this out," Gina replied, pulling her hands away from Yong Guk. "My mind's a mess."

"Why? We..."

"Please leave her alone," Doo Joon chimed in. "She said to give her time."

"Who are you? Who are you to get in between us?" 

"He's a friend, someone I need right now. Yong Guk, I'll call you back when I'm ready... to talk. Please."

Yong Guk let Gina go after seeing her eyes b with tears. "Call me as soon as you're ready. I'll be waiting." He backed up a few steps to give Gina the space she wanted and sadly watched her leave with another man.

Gina had changed her destination and asked Doo Joon to drop her off at a bar. When he wanted to join her, Gina told him that she wanted to be alone. He nodded and asked for her phone, then added his number. "Anything, to talk or even for a ride, give me a ring."

Gina thought back to all that Doo Joon had done for her that day and the times he lent her his hear. "Thanks Doo Joon. Thank you."

 

The bar was empty as it was only a little after 3 o'clock. Gina ordered herself a Bellini, nothing too strong. She sat there in thought, stirring her straw to thaw out the slush then took a sip. Everything happens for a reason. It was something that Ailee and her used to say, so she started to wonder: was her relationship with Yong Guk meant to fall apart? She thought back to when she asked for a sign, when it snowed and Doo Joon got her to take a step away from the hotel. It would mean she should keep going right? Gina still had no clue. Why is she still so confused when she was certain she had moved on? Why is she still going in circles?

Gina checked her phone and saw many missed calls from Ailee and a few from Hyungsik. Gina decided to give Ailee a call back.

"Gina! Finally. Where are you? Sikkie told me you left with someone. You're okay right? Please tell me what happened."

"Doo Joon gave me a ride. I'm just... having a drink alone right now. I need to be alone right now."

Ailee understood and decided to let Gina be. "Talk tonight then?"

"Mhmm," replied Gina and hung up the phone. She opened her contact list and scrolled down until she saw Doo Joon's number, listed as Doo Joo. For some reason, it made her smile and she continued to look at his number, thinking back to Doo Joon telling her to call him any time. Just then, she received a text from Doo Joon, who sent her a smiley face. She lay her head down to the side on her arm, while staring at the smiley face on her phone. It made her think back to the past when something didn't go right for Gina and she wanted time to herself, Yong Guk was text her a smiley face and nothing more, waiting until she would get over it and reply back to him.

Yong Guk. They had so much history together, a pleasant past. Wasn't she just thinking of hoping to be back together with Yong Guk again? What things have changed that is stopping her? Like Sung Hwa had said, she should fight for love. Like Yong Guk said, he still loves her and she still loves him. Yet things are still different between them and this frustrated Gina. What exactly is she looking for?

Gina sat up and buried her face into her hands. Now her thoughts went to Hye Ri, wondering how someone like her can be a nurse, how she can deceive those around her to get what she wants. Greed. Gina agreed with Hye Ri that humans are selfish creatures, we all have that side. However, it's how you choose to act. Hye Ri was greedy for money and didn't care how she might affect others.

"Gina?" someone asked from behind her. She knew the voice, which belonged to Yong Guk. Of course, it was their go to place when they were feeling down.

"Yong Guk," Gina acknowledged him without turning around to look at him.

"I'll leave," Yong Guk said, but Gina called him back.

"You don't have to leave. Maybe we should talk."

Yong Guk sat next to her and asked for a drink with something strong. Without caring, Yong Guk took a gulp when his drink came.

"So what exactly did you find out from Hye Ri?" Gina asked, curious.

"Nothing. I asked about the baby but she kept ignoring me and was talking to my mom instead, who was bombarding her with questions about why you were there. Since she didn't bother replying to my questions, I figured what I heard from Hyungsik was true. I told my mother that I couldn't marry Hye Ri and that's when I chased after you. On my way out I saw Tae Joo sweating buckets running toward the wedding hall, so I'm assuming he's the father?"

Gina nodded. "But he didn't know much, in case you're wondering. It was all Hye Ri's doing, she told me." 

Gina realized that she was beginning to tell Yong Guk the truth even though she previously believed that it was Hye Ri's story to tell. "Hye Ri told him that you were single and was interested in her. He felt assured that Hye Ri and the baby would be better cared for if she was with you. I feel bad for him, to meet such a person. She told me she really had feelings for you-"

"I don't want to know about that. I'm not sure if I can work with her anymore."

"That'll be sorted out soon enough. You're professional enough to ignore her, aren't you?"

"I guess so."

"That night though, she told me nothing happened." Gina hesitated, wondering if she should tell him the reason why nothing happened between them that night. Just from that statement, she saw Yong Guk lighten up a bit.

"That's a relief. Knowing nothing happened that night and now that the wedding is called off, I can slowly be myself again. I still want you in my life Gina."

"So do I, Yong Guk. You don't know how much I wanted us to be together again, but I worked so hard to get over you. I finally accepted it, deciding not to dwell on our past. Then this happens. This whole situation that Hye Ri put us through has tainted our relationship."

"We can slowly start again and fix it. It'll take time but our love can overcome this Gina, I believe that it can. We'll take it slow, baby steps."

Gina flashed Yong Guk a gentle smile and held onto one of his hands. "Baby steps."

Yong Guk had decided to leave after their conversation, calling Hyungsik to come and drive him home since he had a few cups of alcohol. Gina waited for Hyungsik to arrive and followed them in Hyungsik's car. After dropping Yong Guk and his car at the house, Hyungsik took over in his car and asked Gina if she was okay. Gina said she was feeling better but refused to explain anything to Hyungsik until they got home. She wanted to tell Hyungsik and Ailee about it at once. She didn't care anymore. Now that Yong Guk knew the truth, she felt as if she could freely tell her friends the truth. So that was what happened when they got home. Mimi joined the three of them at Gina and Ailee's loft, sleeping over and hearing the full story.

However, Gina had left one part out of her story, since Mimi wasn't aware of her gift. Back in the bar when Yong Guk insisted that they should take things slow, Gina had noticed that her red thread had lengthened. This time, it was much more red and it reached the ground where it vanished, just how she sees it for everybody else instead of a few centimetres from her finger. She had wondered what it meant, wondered if she was getting closer to finding her the One.

 

Short chapter but I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far! Thank you to all my readers for taking the time to even read this. You guys might find my notes annoying so I'll try to stop but please let me know what you think about the story, your thoughts are very much appreciated :) Lastly, if you guys have any ideas for the chapter titles, I'm open to suggestions because I'm very bad at titling them. Thank you again! Have a wonderful day :D