Chapter 20

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

'I was your then and Yong Guk is your now.' 

Jay's last words kept replaying over and over in Gina's head. The more she thought about it, the more bothered she felt. Yes, she was relieved after ending things with both Jay and Yong Guk but the apologetic feelings she felt for Jay confused her. Now, with the last bit of words he left her, it made her think of Yong Guk even more.

Ailee was inside her room when Gina got home. She hesitated as she stood at the door, looking over to Ailee's room, debating whether she should go talk to Ailee. She knew there were lots to discuss with Ailee, concerning Hyungsik. Gina remembered how conflicted Ailee looked last night when she realized she couldn't talk about Hyungsik in the presence of Mimi and decided to knock on the door.

"Come in," Ailee welcomed. When Gina entered her room, Ailee sat up on her bed and brightened the lamp light.

"Wanna talk after I wash up?" Gina asked and Ailee eagerly nodded with a look of relief. When Gina came back, she sat down at the end of Ailee's bed, who reached over to dim down the lights and hugged her pillow with a sigh.

"I can't stop thinking about yesterday," Ailee started, looking up to Gina with sad eyes. "I can't stop thinking of Hyungsik."

"I didn't expect Hyungsik to be going through all that. His family," Gina added, skaking her head. "Not the kind of family you'd think Hyungsik is from."

"It's upsetting he thinks his family doesn't matter to us. That he couldn't confide these things with us."

"Ailee, remember though. He compared his family to ours. He considers our families as his but not his own family. I do understand him somewhat."

"But why hide his relationship with Dr. Lee and Mimi?"

Gina shrugged. "At least he told us now right? He told us when he was ready."

"Yeah... I do hope his grandma recover soon." Ailee paused, hesitating. "I don't think he should give up the land to his dad though. Hyungsik can do something with that land if he wanted. He can build a business, a house."

Gina nodded in agreement. "So, what do you think about Mimi and Dr. Lee being Hyungsik's siblings instead of... possible lovers?"

"Of course, it first came as a shock to me, then a little hint of happiness... which made me realize how crazy my thoughts were and I need to stop. I really need to stop thinking about him... no matter how hard it'll be. I feel like I'm in high school again, crushing on guys," Ailee giggled then sighed thinking back to Hyungsik, wondering out loud if his grandma woke up yet. She reached over to grab her phone and texted Hyungsik. Seconds later, he replied saying she hasn't yet and ended the conversation by telling Ailee he'll see her soon.

"No work tomorrow?" Gina asked, and Ailee explained that she gave Hyungsik time off for his grandma, however long he needs to. Mimi worked today but Ailee let her leave after working half the day.

"I'll drop by tomorrow after school to keep you company then," Gina offered.

"So, how was seeing Jay off at the airport?" Ailee asked. "You were home earlier than I thought."

"He didn't want me to go inside, in case his friends asked about us. I only dropped him off at the door. Jay did say something that bothered me."

"What? What'd he say??" Ailee pushed with curiousity.

Gina repeated what Jay said and Ailee replied with a nod. "So he believes you and Yong Guk are meant for each other despite the fact that he's getting married. That's why it's bothering you."

"Yeah, but I shouldn't think about it too much. It's not like I can do anything about it at this point. It's too late. Maybe I should've fought for our love, when the truth first came out but... no, no. That's not right."

"I'm just wondering but say, when you found out about Hye Ri and insists that she's able to support herself as a single mother, not wanting to break up the two of you, would you have been comfortable with it and stayed in your relationship?"

"I think it'll take me some time to accept that Yong Guk has a child with someone else but I would help her if she needed it. Time is what I'd need but I'll probably stay with Yong Guk."

"What if on Saturday, Hye Ri is the one that ran away, leaving Yong Guk back at the wedding hall. Would you still get back together with Yong Guk?" Ailee asked, stumping Gina.

"I... honestly don't know under that situation. I would and should say yes, right? But for the past two months, we've both been through so much because of Hye Ri and the baby, so I don't think things can be the way they were as before. I just don't know."

"Ugh," Ailee groaned and laid back against the wall. "Things between Yong Guk and you were going so well before she came into the picture and ruined it all. The way she acted yesterday, I am certain it was to rub it into your face."

"Why would she rub it in my face? It not like we were competing for Yong Guk's love or anything."

"I don't know. It's... just a feeling."

"Speaking of Hye Ri, I saw something odd yesterday as we were leaving the hospital. When Hye Ri ran to catch up with Yong Guk, I saw her thread trailing behind her, coming from down the hallway where they went for their ultrasound."

"Hm, I should be coming from the direction where Yong Guk is, not the opposite direction. That means... they're not meant for each other?" Ailee asked, confused, trying to make sense of it.

"I don't know. They haven't married yet so maybe that is why it's not as clear."

Ailee responded with a shrug. "I think this gift of yours are weakening, or will be. You need to be in love!"

Gina shook her head. "It's not the right time. I just need a little more time."

"You're right, it's me. I need to distract myself... from Hyungsik."

"Ailee, you don't need any one to distract you. You need some thing to distract you."

"You're right again, you're right. Sigh, there's a part of me that wants to straight up ask him if he's... gay but even so, I don't want to ruin our friendship. I value our friendship the most and I can't risk it."

"I understand," Gina said, patting Ailee. "We both need time."

~ - ~

Thursday

"Gina!" Sung Hwa called from behind. Gina turned around and greeted her with a smile as she scooted over to make room on the bench for Sung Hwa.

"Is everything okay? Are you doing okay? After you left in such a rush Tuesday, I was feeling a bit worried and I didn't see you yesterday to ask. I wrote a note in Sang Woo's agenda, not sure if you saw it."

"I didn't notice but I'm fine, thanks for asking. My friend's grandma collapsed and yesterday I drove my ex to the airport to see him off."

"How is your friend's grandma doing?" Sung Hwa asked, concerned. "And your ex, is he the childhood friend?"

"I haven't heard anything from him yet, but I'm praying she'll wake up soon and yes, my childhood friend."

"Did something happen? You seem troubled."

Gina debated on how much to tell Sung Hwa, afraid she'll scare away her new friend by sharing too much information.

"You don't have to tell me if you're not comfortable with it. I just asked in case you want to get something off your chest."

"No, no. I... well on Tuesday when I was leaving the hospital, I ran into Yong Guk and Hye Ri, the nurse he impregnated and I... don't know." Gina went on to tell Sung Hwa fully about her relationship with Yong Guk: how they dated for four years, there was a proposal but their relationship ended and how Hye Ri played a role. "Then yesterday, I started wondering if I should've fought for our love but it's too late now."

Sung Hwa listened intently, paying attention to everything. "Why is it too late to fight for it if you guys are still in love with each other? I think you still can."

"No... I feel like we've been through too much lately. I've had the courage to end things completely with him, wanting to move on and pushed him away. Even if there's the possibility for the both of us... I don't know, I'd be scared because things have changed. In reality, I'd feel guilty toward Hye Ri.

"Gina, you have no reason to feel guilty for that. You played no part in what happened. Yes, Yong Guk is responsible for what he did but you can't force love. He may try to love her, eventually he might, but this baby that is coming will delay that. I'd rather you guys be happy; two of three rather than none."

Gina remain silent, nodding in defeat. "I understand what you're saying and what you said is true but at this point, there isn't anything I can do. The wedding is on Saturday."

"I guess there's not much we can do there," Sung Hwa said as she took Gina's hands into hers for comfort. "But don't worry, you'll find true love soon enough. That time will come."

"Thank you Sung Hwa, really, for listening."

Sung Hwa smiled reassuringly. "Any time."

Their conversation ended when Sung Hwa thought it was time for her to get back to work. Before leaving with Sang Woo, she informed Gina that Jin wanted to meet with them tomorrow for coffee and that she suggested to go to Ailee'e cafe. Gina agreed and they go their separate ways.

 

"Gina!" Mimi greeted her with a glass of water after she finished serving a few customers. "Ailee will be back in a few minutes. She went to get some whipped cream because she ran out."

"Already? She usually has extra left when on Fridays when you guys restock."

"She's been baking a lot and claims that she's not getting them right. There seems to be a lot on her mind but I didn't want to pry. Is everything alright with Ailee?" Mimi asked.

"I... think she'll be okay. She just needs a distraction so I guess she turned to baking. It's good."

"Ah...," Mimi noded, understandingly. Before she could say anything else, Ailee walked through the door and greeted them cheerfully with a bright smile on her face. 

"Hyungsik just called me to say his grandma woke up and she's in good condition."

At the same time, Gina's phone began to ring. It was Hyungsik, relaying the good news. Mimi then decided to stay to help Ailee out now that Hyungsik's grandma has woken up, and the three of them planned to go visit her after closing.

"So what were you guys talking about?" Ailee asked, joining Mimi and Gina at the table.

"I was just about to ask Gina if she was free tomorrow evening."

Gina looked over at Mimi puzzled. "What for?"

"I have a favour. I know this is insensitive of me for asking you but... Ji Wook oppa has the day off tomorrow and I was wondering if you can take him out for the night. On a date." Mimi looked at Gina pleadingly. "Just as friends, not romantically?"

"Dr. Lee? Why?" Aille asked.

"Sigh, he's already in his thirties but seems to have no luck with the ladies. I want him to experience a date so maybe then he'll be more open to finding a girlfriend instead of being cooped up in his house."

"You're kidding me! No luck? He's one of the most good looking men out there. Ladies would be lining up to meet him. You don't need to worry, trust me."

"I agree," Gina added. "I wouldn't be surprised if there are women who drop by the hospital to see him, to you know, casually bump into him."

"Haha, well he won't meet any if he just stays at home, on a free day! He's not the type to take initiative either. I offered to take him out but he refused. I don't have any girl friends that I'd want my brother to be around so I'm asking you, Gina. I know what you've been through so I understand if you don't want to. I just want him to have a great time, with a woman."

"What about me?" Ailee asked. "Do I not qualify good enough for Dr. Lee?" 

For a second, Mimi seemed troubled. "No, no. I think you both are the best. It's just that... umm, you have to watch the store right? That's why I'm asking Gina."

"Really..." Ailee eyed Mimi suspiciously and leaned in closer, excited. "Is Dr. Lee interested in Gina?"

"N-no," Mimi stammered. "It's just, I swear he's not. Well, not that I know of. Ah, I don't want to make this awkward, for him or any body. I just want someone to take him out for a good time. Last time he dated was during his undergraduate years."

"Serious? I'm actually really surprised to hear that. Well, I'm more fun than Gina," Ailee stated. "But maybe he'll like someone more mature like Gina."

Mimi raised her hand to cover her eyes and after soem thought, she removed her hand. "You know, if anyone of you two can take him out, I'm happy."

"I'm just joking around Mimi. If it's Gina you prefer then she should go if she's up for it."

"What changed your mind?" Gina wondered.

"Just thought of something. I'm going to be honest, I might like it better if Ailee goes," Mimi replied with a smile. "Hyungsik and I can watch the shop."

"Now I'm even more suspicious of you. What did you think of?" Ailee asked.

"Just something," Mimi said and stuck out her tongue jokingly then excused herself to go to the washroom.

"She's up to something," Ailee said as she watched Mimi walk away. "I'm curious. Not sure if I should go or not."

"If not, I'm up for it. Dr. Lee is a friend and Mimi said it doesn't have to be a romantic date. But if you want to, it's a nice distraction for a day." After saying so, Gina realized what she said and corrected herself. "That's a horrible way to put it because you should use him as a distraction. I just mean, you need to be out and about. Mimi told me how you've been frequently baking. Been thinking of Hyungsik?"

"Sigh, yes. A lot. What if I go on this friendly date and possibly end up falling for Dr. Lee? That'd be weird right?"

"Nah, it'd be interesting though."

"Why's that?"

"If he was Mr. Right, it's funny that you never though of him as someone you would get involved romantically until someone set you up."

"Now that you put that thought into my head, I'm feeling butterflies."

"Butterflies?" Mimi asked when she returned. "You like my brother??"

"No! I- Gina put this thought in my head where maybe Dr. Lee is my soulmate so... I'm feeling some butterflies thinking about tomorrow now."

"Oh," Mimi said with a frown, causing Ailee to question it. Mimi responded with a shake of her head and asked if they decided it'd be Ailee who was going. 

"If Ailee changes her mind or something comes up, I'll gladly take Dr. Lee out."

Mimi thanked the both of them, apologized for the trouble and said she'd talk to her brothers later when they visit the hospital.

 

After closing, the three ladies made their way to the hospital. They were greeted in the room with a happy looking Hyungsik, who was feeding his grandma some congee. They walked over surrounding the bed and each politely greeted his grandma, taking her hand into theirs. After her late dinner, Hyungsik put her to sleep and they all left the room.

"The doctor says they'll watch over her for a few more days before she can be discharged to be sure. I'm glad she's awake though."

"Me too," Mimi said, followed by Gina and Ailee in agreement.

"I'll come back to work tomorrow. Thanks for giving me time off Ailee."

"Of course! Mimi's been helping and the cafe hasn't been as busy."

"Perfect! You've decided to come back tomorrow," Mimi added. "Now I need to find Ji Wook oppa."

"He should be in his office. He left awhile ago to help a colleague go over some patient paperwork. Why?"

"You'll see," Mimi answered, giving Hyungsik a sly smirk. 

As they headed to the elevators, they bumped into Dr. Lee. "Hey! You guys here to visit Hyungsik's grandma?" he asked the ladies, Ailee and Gina nodding in reponse.

"Oppa, I found a date for you!" Dr. Lee's face immediately changed into fear; Hyungsik excited.

"Who? Who??" Hyungsik asked.

"Me!" Ailee said, raising her hand. 

"What?"

"Ailee, if Mimi made you, you don't have to. I'm so sorry."

"Mimi?" Hyungsik turned to ask Mimi, with a look of the need for confirmation.

"I didn't make her, I asked her and she agreed to go."

"Well you asked Gina but I offered to go," Ailee explained. "Mimi also made sure that she didn't want to make this an awkward situation and clearly state that I'm just taking you out for a fun night, as friends."

"I'll take him out then," Hyungsik chimed in as he put his arm around Dr. Lee's shoulders. "Guys night out."

"No, Ji Wook oppa, you promised me this. It's one night. Mom has been pestering me about how you're not married yet so I'm just helping you start since it's been awhile for you."

"I'll give you some pointer to help impress a girl, if you need any," Ailee offered. "We're just going out as friends."

"Wait," Hyungsik interrupted. "You have work tomorrow Ailee."

"I was going to ask you work tomorrow but you said you were coming back anyway so it all worked out. You and I can watch the cafe," Mimi replied.

"Fine," Dr. Le said, giving in. "Just this once Mimi, and I'm sorry Ailee."

"No, it's fine!"

"I'll pick you up tomorrow then? Your place?"

"The cafe, let's say at 6? Dress casual!"

Dr. Lee laughed. "Okay, see you tomorrow. I'm just going to go back up to get my bag and go home."

"We should get going too," Gina said and waved goodbye.

"You guys go home first," Hyungsik directed to Gina and Ailee, then pulled Mimi closer to him. "Let's talk,"

Mimi laughed and said goodbye to Ailee and Gina.

"Mimi seemed really giddy back there," Gina pointed out when they got into the car.

"What if... Dr. Lee liked me all these years?"

"There you go again. No more thoughts like that" Gina laughed. "We're overthinking this."

"You're right. No more weird thinking. I'm just going to enjoy tomorrow. Can you check for any red strings tomorrow when he comes?"

"Yup. Do you have anything planned for tomorrow?" Gina asked.

"I don't know, I'll think about it. They guy usually plans this out, don't they?"

"Well it won't hurt if you come up with a few ideas. It's been a long time since he dated."

"True. Hmm..."

~ - ~

Friday

During recess, Gina went through each of her students' agenda as usual, to check for the parents' signature indicating they have read the book that their child brought home. When she got to Sang Woo's agenda, Gina finally noticed the note that Sung Hwa wrote to her, at the top of the page, asking if she was doing okay. Gina wondered how she had missed it but thought it was possibly because her mind was filled with Yong Guk the past few days. Again, her thoughts focused on Yong Guk and she took a glance at her calendar. Tomorrow was his wedding. Gina closed her eyes and silently prayed that he would live a happy life with Hye Ri.

After school, Sung Hwa and Sang Woo sat with Gina until all her students were picked up. While waiting, Gina told Sung Hwa how she uncomfortable she felt about Jin treating them. Gina claimed that she was the one that drove recklessly and could've caused an accident so Jin had every right to yell at her, and wondered why Jin was so persistent in treating her when she was in the wrong. Sung Hwa replied with a shrug, thinking that Jin is just a nice guy since he went out of his way to find Sung Hwa to apologize. She tells Gina to let him treat her this one time because Jin seemed bothered by it when Gina didn't want him to the other day.

When all of Gina's students' left, Sung Hwa told Gina that she drove to the school because it was getting too cold to walk, wondering why it hasn't snowed yet this late in November. Gina looked up at the sky, wondering the same thing. They then went separately, making their way to the cafe. Together when they reached Ailee's shop and went inside, they were greeted by Mimi and Hyungsik. She excused herself and asked Sung Hwa to find a table first as she went to talk to Hyungsik.

"I know it's been only a day, but how is your grandma doing?"

"Good, thanks for asking. I haven't received any phone calls from the hospital yet so that's a good sign. I'll go see her tonight after work. What are you doing here today?" Hyungsik asked in return.

As Gina was in the middle of explaining the situation with Jin to Hyungsik, Ailee interrupted them when she realized that Gina was here and said hello, asking what Gina was doing at the cafe.

"To see my best friends!" Gina exclaimed then laughed. "I'm just here to see someone with Sang Woo's mom."

Gina turned around to look for Sung Hwa and found her waving her arm to get Gina's attention. Jin was already sitting there, across from Sung Hwa.

"Oh! That guy has been here for a long time now. I didn't know he was meeting up with you. Earlier he asked for an assorted box of pastries but now that Sang Woo is here, I'll bring out his favourites, the ones Doo Joon always gets. So how do you know that guy?" Ailee asked.

"I'll tell you about it later. I'm going to go join them," Gina said and made her way to the table.

When Gina sat down, Mimi came by to ask if they wanted anything to drink. Sang Hwa ordered a tea for herself and a chocolate milk for Sang Woo; Gina a cup of coffee. When Mimi left, Jin asked Gina if she knew the owner of the cafe and she explained to him that Ailee and her were best friends. Jin then changed the subject and started some small talk when there was an awkward silence which fortunately ended when Mimi arrived with the drinks and Ailee some treats for Sang Woo.

"Do you all know each other?" Jin asked after Ailee said aloud that they were Sang Woo's favourites.

"No, I just know what this little guy likes because his dad comes here frequently," Ailee explained. "I haven't seen him in awhile."

"He's out of town with a friend, coming back some time on the weekend," Sung Hwa said, then extended her hand out towards Ailee for a shake. "I don't think we have met. My name is Sung Hwa."

Ailee returned the hand shake. "Ailee, as you already know."

"This is Jin," introduced Gina, embarrassed. "Who I almost ran over the other day."

"Ailee turned to shake his hand. "This is a story I want to hear... but Gina can tell me another time."

Ailee was distracted, looking over toward the entrance of the cafe. Gina followed Ailee's gaze and saw Dr. Lee approaching the cafe. Ailee returned her attention to the table, quickly recommending the desserts that she prepared earlier for Jin and told them to help themselves, to order more if they'd like. She added that they didn't need to pay; Gina's friends are her friends. Ailee leaned in toward Gina and in a low voice reminded her to check for the red strings, then excused herself to go greet Dr. Lee. While Sung Hea and Jin discuss which pastry they wanted to try, Gina tried to eavesdrop on Ailee and Dr. Lee.

"You're early Dr. Lee!" Ailee exclaimed, checking her watch. "Really early."

Dr. Lee shyly smiled. "You can call me Ji Wook, no need to be so formal. I was bored at home so I dropped by the hospital... so I thought I'd come early to give Hyungsik some news of his grandma. Good news."

Gina silently signed with relief the same time as Ailee. Ailee turned around, calling out for Hyungsik an Mimi to go see Dr. Lee and left the siblings to talk. Gina's eavesdropping came to an end when Sung Hwa offered her a cream puff. Jin started to question about when the cafe opened and praised the ambience, food and drinks. Gina went into explaining, with a bit of advertising, on how the cakes and other desserts were freshly made each day. She directed her attention over to Sang Woo, asking if his cupcake was delicious. Sang Woo joyfully replied with a yes and raised the cupcake in hand to feed Sung Hwa. It was a sweet moment that Gina envied. Jin warmly smiled then asked Gina if there was someone special in her life. She was slightly caught off guard, but replied with a shake of her head. Knowing Gina's situation, Sung Hwa returned the question back to Jin. He was open and told them about his last serious relationship of six years that ended just two years ago. Unsure of how to respond, Sung Hwa asked what he did for a living and he went on to share how he graduated with a degree in economics but now wanted to be more involved in the community. He recalled the day of the accident, how he was on his way to an interview, and revealed that he had been recruited at the local fire station. Hearing the last bit of information, Sung Hwa froze for a second while wiping Sang Woo's hands, which went unnoticed by Gina. While Sung Hwa was silent, Gina congratulated Jin. He also sensed that something was wrong and asked Sung Hwa if she was okay. Gina watched as Sung Hwa brushed off her seriousness with a light laugh, which quickly faltered when she pushed out her chair and started grabbing her bag. She claimed that it was time for her to head home and thanked Jin for taking them out. Before rushing out of the cafe, Sung Hwa stopped to thank Ailee at the counter, promising to return soon.

"Did I say something?" Jin wondered, looking questionably at Gina for an answer. It clicked and Gina explained how Sung Hwa's husband was once a firefighter along with his brother, who ended up dying while on duty. 

"I need to watch my mouth," Jin said apologetically.

Gina realized he also meant the incident where he lashed out at her. "Jin, please, please stop apologizing to me. I deserved it for the way I was driving. If you continue to feel bad for it, I'll start feeling really bad."

Jin finally decided to let it go but worried about upsetting Sung Hwa. Gina assured him that Sung Hwa would be fine because she was a strong woman. They ended their meeeting there, Jin leaving first, who also thanked Ailee on his way out after a few failed attempts to pay. Gina walked up to the counter to accompany Ailee, who was watching the three siblings.

"So are the butterflies still there?" Gina asked, but Ailee shook her head.

"Nah, I think it was just in the moment when we talked about it yesterday. I see him more as an acquaintance but I hope we can become friends after today."

Gina nodded in silence and looked out the window, watching the busy traffic and the people walking by.

"What are they talking about," wondered Ailee out loud, her eyes still at the table. "He looks so serious."

Gina laughed. "Hyungsik, yes, but if you look at the other two, Mimi seems to be giving Dr. Lee some ideas for later I think."

"I wonder why he's looking so serious though," Ailee said, her attention still on Hyungsik.

Gina smiled to herself when she caught Ailee staring at Hyungsik. It brought her back to the time when Ailee told her about the different kinds of looks she saw. Gina observed Ailee and believed the way Ailee looked at Hyungsik was of longing and love. Gina started to wonder how she looked when she was still with Yong Guk but immediately shook the thought away.

When Dr. Lee waved over at Ailee, Gina nudged her to break her gaze away from Hyungsik. Dr. Lee made his way towards them as Ailee grabbed her jacket and bag from the coat rack.

"Ready to go?" Dr. Lee asked, seeming slightly nervous.

"Ready when you are," Ailee replied and walked around the counter. She quickly instructed Mimi and Hyungsik about cleaning and cashing out, then left the shop with Dr. Lee.

Gina remembered to fulfill Ailee's request, trying her best to make the strings appear but had no luck. She did see a bit but not enough that would determine anything. Everyone's string led to the ground where it eventually disappeared.

"I can't wait to hear about it!" cried Mimi, gushing over the fact that her brother was out on a date.

Hyungsik grunted, making his way behind the counter. Mimi looked at him like she was trying to hold in a laugh.

"Don't worry Hyungsik, I can find you a date too if you want," Mimi teased.

"No thanks," replied Hyungsik coldly.

"Is something wrong?" Gina asked based on Hyungsik's reply.

Mimi playfully punched Hyungsik in the arm. "We got into a little arguement, no biggie."

For a second, Hyungsik looked panicked when Mimi started talking but calmed down after.

"Mimi should set you up on a date! Ailee and I have yet to be introduced to a certain special person."

Mimi facepalmed, shaking her head in sadness. "Why are my brothers so... single."

Gina burst out in giggles while a smile crept onto Hyungsik's face.

"What about you Mimi?" Hyungsik asked. "Is there a special someone in your life that I don't know about?"

"Not now, that you obviously know but in high school, I did have one somewhat a serious relationship..." Mimi trailed off, looking at Hyungsik.

"Do I know this guy?" he asked, suspecting it was the reason why Mimi looked hesitant. 

Mimi nodded. "You remember Nana."

"Of course, she was here not that long ago. Oh god, don't tell me her brother." Mimi nodded shamefully.

"Why? What's wrong with him?" questioned Gina.

"The way Nana talks, with all those swear words, were learnt through her older brother." Hyungsik said in disgust. "I hate that guy as well. He was in a few of my classes in university. I only recognized him from the way he talked. So what's the story?"

"Well you know that time in your life where you think dating a much older guy was cool... that was me. I just started high school and he was in uni. Let's just say, it didn't last very long; less than a year. First few months we were always together but then school got in the way so he ended it. I was really upset but thinking back now, thinking of the type of person he was, I just-" Mimi ended her story with a shiver. "What did I see in him?"

"Now you know better," Hyungsik said and Mimi repeated it in agreement. "I still can't believe you dated that guy hahah."

"Not funny," Mimi frowned.

"Well, I haven't been in a relationship, never dated," shared Hyungsik, shocking Gina.

"No way! Seriously?" Gina pressed on for an honest answer and Hyungsik swore he never dated anyone.

"Ailee and I had assumed you've been dating secretly without ever telling us."

"Nope," Hyungsik claimed. Mimi cleared and Gina notice that the two step siblings started talking with their eyes, darting back and forth along with facial expressions.

"Just to contribute," Gina started. "You all know my story. One very serious relationship."

Hyungsik frowned, apologetically. "Sorry Gina, you didn't have to-"

"No, it's okay. I think I'm really starting to get over it, no worries."

"It's the big day tomorrow," Hyungsik announced with a sigh. "He's living in hell, Gina."

"Hye Ri's a nice person," Gina tried to justify. "He'll find happiness, eventually."

Hyungsik wanted to say more but decided to keep his mouth shut. Once it hit 6 o'clock, the cafe became more busy. Gina helped Hyungsik and Mimi when she could but mostly ended up sitting by herself with a cup of coffee, looking out to the streets while thinking. When it was 9, Gina helped clearn and the three headed home together.

~ - ~

Saturday

Gina was woken up early in the morning by the ring of her phone, notifying her of a text message. She reached over to get her phone from the bedside table, opening a message from Hyungsik. He had told her that he slid an envelop under their door and was hoping that Gina could deliver it to Dr. Lee. He added that he had to get up early to meet with Yong Guk but didn't want to wake Dr. Lee in case he got home late last night. Gina replied, accepting Hyungsik's request then went out to check the door for the envelop. She brought it back to her room then went back to sleep.

That afternoon, Gina brought the envelop to the hospital. Asking for Dr. Lee, a nurse informed her that he was busy making rounds checking on a few of his patients and might be back in maybe half an hour. Luckily for Gina, Dr. Lee returned a bit earlier and they went to his office to talk. 

"What's this?" Dr. Lee asked after Gina handed him the envelop.

"Hyungsik didn't say, just asked me to give it to you for him."

Dr. Lee opened it up and pulled out some papers about Hyungsik's land that was shared with his grandma. Dr. Lee closed his eyes and sighed, pushing the papers back into the envelop.

"Tell Hyungsik I can't deliver these papers for him... I won't."

Gina took the envelop and nodded. "I didn't know they were about the land but... I know it's none of my business, I don't think Hyungsik should give that land away. He will have use for it."

"I agree, especially after hearing him tell you guys about our family. It's also something left behind by his mother and I don't want that getting into their hands," said Dr. Lee, referring to his mother and Hyungsik's father.

"I'll return this to him once he's back..."

"Ah, today is Yong Guk's wedding. How are you feeling?"

"Mixed feelings. I should be happy for him, yet I can't entirely. Also, I don't feel completely sad because I knew it was coming. I'm just in between. I'm thinking I'm moving on. Now that it's his actually wedding day, I realized that instead of trying to forget what we had, I just needed to accept it and remember the good memories," said Gina. "Why aren't you attending the wedding?" 

"Some staff went so I thought I'd fill in for them, including Yong Guk. He has also told me about what happened between you two so... it's not a wedding that I mind missing, to be honest."

"I see. So... how was your day with Ailee yesterday?"

"It was fun and Ailee taught me a few things, notably to make a first date a comfortable one. We talked a lot and I learnt more about her. I made a great new friend yesterday," Dr. Lee explained. "Ailee had trouble transitioning into calling me Ji Wook but she was eventually able to. Gina, if you're comfortable with it, I'd like it if you called me by my first name as well."

"Ji Wook," Gina called, then laughed. "I think I still need some time to get used to it."

"As long as you agree, take all the time you need."

"Well, I should let you get back to work... Ji Wook," Gina said with a smile. "Thanks for taking the time to see me."

Dr. Lee thanked Gina in return for dropping by but apologized for not being able to walk her out because he needed to quickly look something up. Gina left the office first, walking down the familiar hallway. She thought back to the times she went down the hallway to go meet Yong Guk, and the times they would sneak a few kisses here and there down the dark hallway. Gina smiled to herself and continued to walk toward the elevators when she overheard a sweet converstaion and stopped to listen. It was a male's voice speaking to someone over the phone, presumably his wife, offering lovely encouraging and supporting words towards their unborn child. Gina was about to walk away when Dr. Lee called her from behind. As she was about to turn around, the words that came out from the man's mouth in the room caused Gina to freeze and repeat them over and over in her head. 

"I love you, Hye Ri. Always."