Chapter 17

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Hey guys! I know this is a super late update but here's chapter 17. There isn't much but hope you enjoy!
Once again, I want to thank you guys for reading my story and this may be late but wishing you guys a wonderful new year :)

 

Gina had a huge grin on her face, not saying anything which confused Ailee. "That's all? Nothing? No 'You are crazy Ailee? Do you know what you're saying Ailee?'"

 
Gina shook her head, unable wipe the smile off her face. "I had a feeling that was the reason why you were behaving and thinking the way you did. I'm happy that you've had the courage to admit it and tell me."
 
"I needed to let it out. Though, this isn't something you should be happy about. It can't last that long considering I don't have a chance and us, I don't want to break up the friendship we have. I need to replace these feelings for someone else," Ailee explained, ending it with a frown. "I have to,"
 
"What makes you think you don't have a chance?" Gina asked, sad that Ailee thought that about herself.
 
"I don't even know what Sikkie is anymore. Either way, Dr. Lee is hot, he's nice and smart, he's a doctor. Mimi is cute and pretty, she's bright and funny, always putting a smile on people's faces. I can't, I'm not and won't ever be at their level. Plus I've known Hyungsik for so long, he probably only sees me as a sister and nothing more. I don't want to make it weird and ruin our friendship."
 
"Ailee, you're all that. What makes you think you're not pretty or funny or smart? Look where you're at now. You finished school, opened your own business, you're cute and funny. You make me laugh, you make Hyungsik laugh. I'm sure there would be a line of guys waiting for you if you haven't gotten so serious about your life. I heard there are customers that flirts with you. There was Dong Woo too." Gina laughed at the thought of Dong Woo.
 
"Thanks Gina," Ailee said with a warm smile.
 
"So, what do you like about Hyungsik?" Gina asked curiously.
 
"Well," Ailee began with some excitement in her tone but then paused and looked at Gina. "You already know, what's not to love about Hyungsik?"
 
Gina laughed and nodded. "Yes, but I want to hear you say it."
 
As Ailee was was about to start, she was cut short when a group of office workers trailed in after one another for their evening coffee or tea.
 
"Let's continue once we get home. I'll give you a hand," Gina said as she got up and went behind the counter with Ailee.
 
 
After getting home, the girls continued their conversation about Hyungsik after dinner in the living room when Gina brought up the topic. She wanted to know what made Hyungsik so special to Ailee.
 
"I go to work everyday looking forward to seeing him, but his mood has been getting worse and worse. When he's sad, it makes me sad. When I saw him smile at you today, it made me feel better. To be honest, it made my day; to finally see a happy face. It has been so tough for him and I just wished I was the person he can share his day with, pour out his feelings. Like Mimi. You know that look I told you about when he looks at Mimi. It was genuine, caring, full of... love. Not as friends but something deeper. I'm sounding crazy again and I'm analyzing way too much. I just saw this twinkle in his eyes, it shines when Mimi is there," Ailee explained with a sigh, lost in thought about Hyungsik. 
 
"I haven't noticed. Is it that different when he's with us?" Gina asked, Ailee nodding in response.
 
"There's no spark," she said, but Gina gave no response as she scrunched her face, thinking.
 
"Anyways, enough about me. What's up with you? Anything else about Yong Guk?"
 
"No, that was all." Gina dropped her head on table and groaned. "I hate feeling so confused."
 
Ailee reached over to pat Gina on the back. "Don't worry, you'll figure your heart out after that dinner."
 
"Yeah but someone is getting hurt after it ends. I should call him now huh?" Gina stood up and headed to her room, returning seconds later with her phone in hand.
 
"Okay, here goes." Gina dialed Yong Guk's number and after a ring, he picked up.
 
"Oh Gina! I'm so sorry I never called you back! I've been-"
 
"Don't worry, I just wanted to know when you and Hye Ri are free for dinner together," Gina quickly asked Yong Guk. He didn't reply immediately but she heard him take a deep sigh.
 
"Do we really have to do this? Does Hye Ri have to go?" Yong asked, sounding defeated. Without waiting for Gina's answer, he suggested Sunday. Gina remembered that she had plans with Doo Joon and asked if Monday afternoon would work for the couple and Yong Guk agreed. She figured lunch would be better because time was limited since she would have to get back to school.
 
"Gina, we need to talk. Alone," Yong Guk said after they made their plans. Gina quickly ended the conversation, claiming that Ailee was calling to help her with some errand. She didn't want to hear what Yong Guk had to say, afraid of what he might have to say.
 
"What's going on on Sunday?" Ailee asked after she hung up.
 
"A soccer event for Sang Woo. That's another thing I need to tell you about," Gina replied and began to explain about the situation to Ailee.
 
"It's cute that Sang Woo asked you but I don't know how I feel about Doo Joon not rejecting your offer. I mean, how would his wife feel? Did he not consider that?"
 
"What happened to 'Doo Joon likes you'?" Gina asked Ailee with a smile.
 
"Okay, I accept it, my head was in a weird place during that time. However, he did have that look for you like Hyungsik to Mimi, but what if someone thinks he's divorced and has a new woman? Or that you're the one that broke their family?"
 
"There is no difference between him not considering her feelings and looking at me in a special way, so stop saying he has interest in me. It's wrong either way." Gina thought about what said. "I shouldn't have promised Sang Woo, what was I thinking?"  
 
"Do you have Doo Joon's number?"
 
"No but I can easily get his number from the school system. I can't back out now though, I can't break my promise to Sang Woo. He'll be disappointed."
 
"Okay but remember that you're there for Sang Woo."
 
"Who else would I be there for?"
 
 
Sunday
 
"Sorry I'm late!" Gina exclaimed while catching her breath, standing behind Doo Joon. He turned around, looking surprised and glad.
 
"You actually came," Doo Joon said as he stood up and offered Gina his seat. She refused and sat on the ground. "Of course. I can't break a promise to Sang Woo. So what's the score?"
 
"It hasn't started. They're just warming up and playing around. We're still waiting for a few other little ones to come."
 
"Ohh. So Ailee made some cake pops for the kids," Gina said, tapping on the two boxes she brought. "And she wants me to hand out some business cards for her. Sales has been down." 
 
Doo Joon laughs. "No way, she makes delicious cakes! I've been coming there every week."
 
"So I've been told." Gina pulls out a different card and hands it to Doo Joon.
 
"Ailee told me to give you this as a thank you. A coupon for free 6 treats of your choice next time you come."
 
"Wow, that's awesome! I should be thanking her." As Doo Joon slides the coupon into his pocket, Sang Woo runs over. Doo Joon spreads out his arms but instead, Sang Woo runs to Gina and gives her a hug. She returns the hug and he soon makes himself comfortable in Gina's lap. 
 
"I'm sorry if he clinging to you too much. I'm not sure what has gotten into him. Possib-"
 
"Don't worry, I don't mind. My love for kids is one of the reasons I became a teacher," Gina explained, causing Doo Joon to smile.
 
"What are your other reasons?"
 
"I learn new things about myself sometimes. I want to help, do something and be part of the community. I want to inspire some or impact them in a good way. My fourth grade teacher was a woman who inspired me to become a teacher. It's always rewarding, when they smile and laugh. I also feel as if I have another family here. It makes me happy."
 
Gina looked up at Doo Joon when she finished and caught him staring at her in awe, his head resting on his fist. She returned the question, asking him about coaching for a youth group.
 
"Just like you, I like kids. As a matter of fact, after Sang Woo was born, I love kids. I love watching them grow, like they're my own kid." Doo Joon paused and reached his hand out to pat Sang Woo's head. "I also wanted to be someone that provided help to the community. I was once a fire fighter, along with my older brother Doo Hyun but one unfortunate emergency led to his death." Gina grabbed his hand in comfort and whispered that she was sorry to hear about about his brother. He shook his head and continued. "After that, for my mom, I quit my job and took on some other responsibilities for my family."
 
Doo Joon's eyes wandered behind Gina. "Tae Oh's family is here. I'll go greet them and we'll begin shortly," Doo Joon said, leaning forward to kiss Sang Woo and giving him a high five before leaving toward Tae Oh's parents. Gina gets Sang Woo prepared, tying his shoes and telling him some encouraging words. Doo Joon began with an introduction, welcoming the parents for their second yearly fall game. He hoped that they can enjoy the tournament and support their young ones, make new friends and have fun. He blew the whistle to start the game and went to stand next to a man, who was talking to him while everyone else watched the game.
 
At the half time mark, everyone took a break. There was a barbecue and snacks, including Ailee's cake pops with the business cards next to them. Gina got herself a hot dog served by Doo Joon's best friend Kikwang, who was the man he was talking to during the game. It was Kikwang that convinced Doo Joon to start this soccer club to give him a chance to do something he enjoys. Together they manage and teach soccer to the little kids. Gina sat on a picnic table on the side, watching the parents interact through their kids. Doo Joon joined her seconds later in silence.
 
"Don't mind me, you can go talk to the other parents," Gina said after she finished chewing. 
 
"Don't worry about it, I always talk to them. It's nice to see them all getting to know each other." Gina nodded in agreement. "I'm sorry if this is boring. I mean, to some women, sports aren't their thing." Doo Joon tilted his head to the side, directing toward a group of mothers just talking.
 
"No, I'm enjoying my time here. It's nice to watch Sang Woo, how different he is when he's in the field than out."
 
"You're really here for him, and I want to thank you-" Doo Joon was interrupted when a woman's voice called out his name. They both looked up to see the woman walking toward them, Gina recognizing her right away.
 
"Sung Hwa? You... came," mumbled Doo Joon in surprise as he walked up to her. She hugged him and the two started talking about something quietly between the two of them. Just as she decided to leave, Sang Woo appeared next to her, holding onto her hand and tried to pull her toward the field. Gina felt that she was no longer needed and knelt down to tell Sang Woo his mother was here, pointing back behind her where the couple was standing. Sang Woo shook his head and continued to pull her, confusing Gina. Didn't he want his mom? On cue, Sung Hwa made her way to Sang Woo, giving him a big hug, allowing Gina to be released from Sang Woo's grasp. Facing Gina, Sung Hwa brightly greets her with a hand shake, noting that she haven't officially introduced herself to Sang Woo's teacher. Gina shook Sung Hwa's hand and slowly leaves as Sung Hwa turned to mumble something to Sang Woo.
 
"Hey Gina!" Doo Joon called from behind when she reached her car. "Don't you want to stay for the last half of the game?"
 
"No, it's okay! Sang Woo's mom is here so I'm not needed anymore."
 
Doo Joon scrunched up his face, looking apologetic. "I'm sorry, I didn't know she was going to show. You made a trip here and, how about I make it up to you over coffee? Lunch?"
 
Gina refused and told him not to worry about it.
 
"Dinner?" Doo Joon continued, showing Gina he wasn't planning on giving up.
 
"How about I choose a day and let you know? I don't know when yet, but one day," suggested Gina, slightly giving in.
 
Doo Joon smiled widely. "I'll be waiting. Again, I apologize-"
 
"Don't apologize, there's nothing you should be sorry for," said Gina as she opened her car door. "You should get back to your family. See you tomorrow."
 
"Tomorrow," Doo Joon repeated. "Drive safely."
 
Gina said goodbye once more and as she drove away, Gina looked at Doo Joon through her rear view mirror. He was still standing there, watching her leave until she turned the corner and he was out of view. Before she knew it, a smile was plastered on her face, causing her to be confused when she realized it. What was she feeling?
 
Gina decided to drop by to see Jay. It had been a long time since she saw him and felt the need to see him. Gina seriously needed to set her heart straight. When she got there, the guys were all sitting on the floor, scattered, taking their break. Ken was the first to spot Gina, shouting out her name.
 
"Did you bring us anything?" he asked expectantly. Gina apologetically shook her head. 
 
"I know why you're here," said Ken, then gave Jay a pat on the shoulder. "You should go. Take an hour or so. You've been working hard this weekend for me."
 
Jay quietly stood up and walked toward Gina, both making their way to the entrance. He opened the door, putting the door stopper underneath to keep it open. As he was about to take a step outside, Gina pulled on his hand and led him back in, behind the door like the last time. She slowly wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer and whispered that she missed him. Without a beat, Jay kissed her hard. When they pulled away to catch their breath, Jay told her he missed her as well. He gave her one quick kiss and took Gina by the hand leading her outside to a bench.
 
They caught up; Gina told Jay about the gloominess at Ailee's shop to which both her and Ailee are confused about; and that she just got back from an event a student of Gina's invited her to. Jay in turn told her about his tired days practicing, how Ken returned Friday night from his honeymoon and immediately joined the group to learn and practice the moves. Their performance was tomorrow and Ken was almost there, just needing a little more practice.
 
"Oh, I should ask Mimi about the wedding pictures since Ken's back."
 
"I forgot about them. They must be beautiful. It'd be nice if he got them after the performance. We're performing tomorrow so are you free tomorrow night?" Jay asked as he softly Gina's hand.
 
"I...," Gina trailed on, remembering her appointment with Yong Guk. "Yeah, I wouldn't miss your performance. You guys worked hard for this fundraising event."
 
Jay leaned in and gave Gina a soft kiss, followed by a sigh. "I can't wait till things are back to normal. I need you all to myself for one whole day after tomorrow."
 
"Of course." This time Gina went in for the kiss. In the back of her mind, Gina told herself that with Jay, everything felt right. It should.
 
 
Monday
 
When lunch time came, Gina was hesitant of going to meet up with Yong Guk and Hyeri. She had called him to change the venue to Ailee's shop instead of a restuarant to eat lunch. She wanted to leave as soon as possible. It was close to 12 when Gina got to the shop after deciding to stay back at school for about ten minutes to help out in the lunchroom to heat up her students' lunches.
 
Walking into the shop, she was greeted enthusiastically by Mimi and Hyungsik who were in the middle of running tables, causing her to laugh. The shop was busy, filled with business workers on their coffee or lunch break. Gina sat herself down at a table near the door at a window. Seconds later, she was joined by Ailee. 
 
"What's up?" Ailee asked. "You look... nervous. Oh wait, are you meeting Yong Guk here??"
 
"Yeah. I wasn't sure if I'd have appetite to talk over lunch. Also, I know you'd be curious to what happened, so you can stand over there and observe."
 
Ailee laughed. "Good idea. I will go make my way there right now because the couple is here." Ailee pointed out the window and whispered a quick good luck before going back to the counter.
 
Gina grew more nervous when the door chimed and say Hyungsik's shocked face when he looked up to greet the customers.
 
"Hey Hyung, Hye Ri. Here for some... coffee?" Gina heard Hyungsik ask Yong Guk.
 
"No, I'm here to meet Gina. Did she get here yet?" Yong Guk said to a confused Hyungsik.
 
"Gina? She's n-"
 
"She's right over there Yong Guk," interrupted Ailee, pointing to the corner where Gina sat. Gina stood up to wave at the couple. Ailee quickly motioned for Hyungsik to go serve them.
 
"Hey Gina, I didn't know you were here. It's so hectic around this time. So, anything to drink?" Hyungsik asked awkwardly.
 
Gina and Yong Guk both ordered a caramel macchiato while Hyeri stuck with an Earl Grey tea. When Hyungsik left, the table went quiet.
 
"Well..." Gina started slowly. "Since I won't be attending your wedding, I want to say congratulations to you both. Wishing you much love and happiness on your marriage."
 
"Oh Gina," Hye Ri said, putting her hand on Gina. "Thank you for your kind words. I know, this must've been hard but thank you and sorry."
 
"What's done is done," Gina managed to say. "All that's left is that we forget the past, and move forward to the future."
 
At that moment, Hye Ri receives a phone call from the hospital calling her in. "The hospital needs me so I'll be heading out but first, I need to use the restroom so excuse me."
 
When Hye Ri was gone, Yong Guk turned to Gina with sad eyes. "Are you over me? Have you moved on?"
 
"What?" Gina asked confused. "Yong Guk, this isn't-"
 
"Tell me, honestly."
 
"Yong Guk. I...." Gina hestitated, for a second almost telling Yong Guk the actual truth. "Yes, I've moved on. I'm with Jay, Yong Guk, and I'm happy."

"Gina, you're lying. I know you are so stop."
 
"No I'm not. Yong Guk, this isn't the time. You're getting married to a beautiful woman at the end of the week, and is going to be a dad in a few months. You're happy." Gina said, hoping that he would stop with the conversation. 
 
"Do I look happy to you? What part of this face looks like one bit of happiness?" Yong Guk asked, pointing to his face. "Tell me, then may be I'll believe you."
 
Gina looked into his eyes, feeling his hurt and sadness. She broke the eye contact and just in time, Hye Ri returned.
 
"What going on? Your face looks so serious hun," Hye Ri stated towards Yong Guk.
 
"I was just suggesting Gina to come to our wedding. She's a good friend of mine still, and I want her to be there on our big day."
 
"No, no," Gina started. "Hye Ri, you wouldn't want an ex to be at your wedding right? Of course I wouldn't come."
 
"I actually don't mind Gina, so if you want, you can come. You're still a close friend to Yong Guk and I want all his friends to be there. You should come."
 
"I'll think about it. I also have to go, but here is a small gift from me." Gina pulled out bag with two boxes in it. "It's not much but they're just couple scrubs for you guys to wear when you're on duty."
 
"Thank you," Hye Ri thanked, hugging Gina in the process. The couple said their goodbyes to Gina and rushed back to the hospital.
 
Just as Gina was about to get up to leave, both Ailee and Hyungsik sat down across from her and asked her if she was okay. 
 
"I'm fine. It was tough, but I'm fine. I'm not sure if I got the closure that I wanted." Gina sighed. "I need to talk to you guys. Tonight? No I have to go to Jay's performance. What about tomorrow?"
 
"Of course Gina, any time. We're here."
 
"What Hyungsik said."
 
"Well, I have to get back to school. See you guys later."
 
 
The rest of the afternoon, Gina was lost in thought. Yong Guk's face was all she could think about, making her feel confused. She was so sure he was happy from the tone of his voice on the phone but his face said otherwise. She was hoping that meeting would help her move on but she was stuck to the past more than ever. 
 
The school bell rang and she dismissed her class. Gathering her bags, she followed her students out. Out on the bench, she finds Doo Joon in their usual spot. 
 
"Hey," greeted Gina as she sat down next to Doo Joon.
 
"Anything you want to talk about?" Doo Joon asked. He knew when she was feeling troubled, and she was partly thankful for having such an acquaintace but also apologetic.
 
"I met up with Yong Guk. I didn't get the closure I wanted. He was obviously unhappy. I don't know what to do. He invited me to his wedding and of course I rejected because I know the bride would mind but surprisingly she was fine with it."
 
"That's odd," said Doo Joon. "Very odd. I think you ne-"
 
"Gina?" a voice quietly came from behind them. Gina turned around, surprised to find Yong Guk standing behind her.
 
"Yong Guk? What are you doing here?"
 
"We haven't finished our conversation earlier today. I still need to talk to you."
 
"I'll leave you two to it," Doo Joon added and called Sang Woo over. "See you tomorrow, Miss. Choi."
 
Hearing Doo Joon call her Miss. Choi suddenly made her feel more confused. "Yong Guk, we have nothing to talk about."
 
"Your car or mine?" Yong Guk asked, pointing to his car parked just behind them.
 
"Yours," Gina said, getting up and following Yong Guk to his car.