An End

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

"What do you want me to tell you Yong Guk? What do you want to hear?" Gina asked once she got inside the car. She looked at him straight in the eyes, feeling partly afraid of what he may say next. Instead, Yong Guk leaned in to kiss her. It took a moment for Gina to register what he did and lightly pushed him away. Silence followed as they looked at each other, the touch of his lips lingering on hers.

"That's not going to make it any easier," Gina whispered, shaking her head.

Yong Guk sighed and leaned back into his seat, staring out of the window in front of him. "How are you going through this? I'm... I feel like I'm going crazy." 

As a tear trailed down Gina's cheek, she quickly wiped it, wiping away any signs of weakness. "Yong Guk, we need to stop going around in circles. We can't  just bring up the past every time we see each other. Don't question why you can't move on, but try to. The more you question it, you'll just be stuck in the same place. No matter what happens, things won't be the way they were before anymore, remember that."

After a few seconds of silence, Yong Guk managed to give Gina a reply. "You're right. You used to say that everything happens for a reason, so all this is probably what's meant for me."

Gina shrugged her shoulders. "Things will probably get better. You deserve it, at least that."

"One last question. Back at Ailee's, what you said, what made you think I was happy? When have I shown even a bit of happiness?" Yong Guk asked. "I'm just curious considering what I've been really feeling."

"When I called you, you sounded so... ecstatic. I wanted to also see it for myself so I asked to meet with you two," Gina said.

"I see," Yong Guk mumbled, sounding frustrated. "You know why I sounded that way? It was because I heard your voice Gina. I was happy you called, and that I got to hear your voice after what felt like an eternity."

Gina couldn't bear to hear any more of what Yong Guk had to say. She needed to leave before anything he said would change her mind. Gina got out of the car and sped walked toward the staff parking lot. She quickly drove away once she got into her car and on her way home, she began to break down.

On the drive home, Gina's eyes were on the road but her mind was elsewhere. At an intersection a few blocks away from home, Gina slammed on the brakes as crossing pedestrians came into view. Due to her abrupt stop, the woman in front of her jumped back in shock and knocked down a man on a bike next to her. When Gina got out of her car to go check up on the two pedestrians, the two were already back on their feet arguing with one another. Gina went up to the woman and asked if she was okay, and turned to the man immediately to apologize.

"You! Are you blind? This is an intersection, a crosswalk. The light is red," he yelled, pointing at the traffic light above him. "How do you even have a driving license?"

Before Gina opened to apologize once again, the woman was already shouting back at the man defending Gina. "You don't have to be so rude. I was the one that knocked you off your bike. Deal with me, not her."

"Well she was the source of this problem. If it wasn't for her, we wouldn't-"

"Sir! I sincerely apologize. I am at fault so mam, thank you but I should take responsibility for this." Gina interrupted quickly with her head bowed down feeling guilty.

"See, she even admits it's her fault."

"Okay, so what do you want her to do? She apologized. You seem fine," the woman said as she brushed off some dust off the man's suit at his shouder then crossed her arms. "And so does your bike. Be a grown man and don't create unnessary trouble."

"Unnecessary trouble?" the man repeated in disbelief. "Excuse me but-"

"Excuse you but you shouldn't be riding your bike across the crosswalk. What part of 'walk' did you not understand?"

"No one follows that rule-"

"But it's still the law." At this time, cars started to honk when the lights turned green, and the three of them were obstructing traffic. Gina looked up and belatedly realized the woman was Sung Hwa. 

"Shall we continue this conversation over there in the coffee shop?" Sung Hwa asked.

"I don't have time for this," the man muttered under his breath after taking a look at his watch. Sung Hwa takes out a business card and slips it into his pocket. He takes it out and reads it before putting it back.

"You're lucky you got her defending you," the man said to Gina as he picked up his bike, then turned to Sunghwa. "Speaking about the law, you should give this lady a lecture on it too. For the safety of this city."

Gina turned to Sung Hwa and bowed, thanking and apologizing for the trouble. Sung Hwa shook her head, insisting that it was no problem at all. Gina suggested to go somewhere to treat Sung Hwa, but was rejected. She needed to go pick up Sang Woo and accepted Gina's offer to drive her there. Once in the car, Sung Hwa pulled out a facial tissue and handed it over to Gina. 

"Your mascara is a bit smeared," Sung Hwa said. "Were you... crying? Your eyes were a bit red earlier."

Gina, flustered, took the tissue and dabbed her eyes while looking in the rearview mirror. After doing so, Gina revealed that she was having some issues with her ex. After the relevation, Sung Hwa changed the subject. During the five minute drive, Gina learnt that Sung Hwa had recently started working for a lawyer friend in a firm, whom she gave her friend's business card to the man. She also added that Doo Joon had sudden plans with is friend Kikwang and was leaving town later that night to an orphanage.

"You're okay with the abruptness like that?"

"He did call me earlier to ask," Sung Hwa started and smiled to herself. "But I can't stop him to do what he likes. He needs his freedom. He has done more than enough for me and I owe him at least that."

Gina thought about Sung Hwa's words, wondering what she meant about owing Doo Joon. A happy relationship as their's shouldn't keep count over things like that.

"Is it alright if I ask you for a ride back to the law firm?" Sung Hwa asked as they were approaching their destination.

"Yeah, of course. If you had to go back to work, why didn't you ask Doo Joon to drop Sang Woo off at the firm?" Then another thought came to Gina. "Do you walk to and from work everyday?"

"You've seen Doo Joon, leading an active life style is important to him so he always suggests I walk whenever I can. I'm used to it now," Sung Hwa explained. "I do drive a car since I work late sometimes and he worries about me being alone at night."

Gina stayed silent, taking in what Sung Hwa said about Doo Joon. She started to feel a bit of jealously, that Sung Hwa had such a loving husband and a wonderful son. It lead her to thinking that it was something she saw in Yong Guk, and something that she hoped would be their future which now would not be possible. She shook the idea away when she saw Doo Joon waiting outside at the curb in front of the building with Sang Woo.

"I'll be right back," Sung Hwa said, getting out of the car to go and give her son a hug. At the same time, Doo Joon walked over to the driver side and Gina rolled down her window.

"How are you doing? Is everything alright? From earlier, with Yong Guk," Doo Joon questioned.

"I'm alright, thanks for asking." She smiled up at him, to reassure that she was fine. He gave her a satisfied nod and walked back to Sung Hwa and Sang Woo. Gina watched the couple exchange words, Sung Hwa carrying Sang Woo in her arms, Doo Joon reaching over to give Sang Woo a hug and kiss. She knew what would come next. Gina looked away, expecting the next person to be kissed was Sung Hwa.

The back door opened with Sung Hwa apologizing. She pushed some duffle bags across the back seat and sat there with Sang Woo. Gina wondered for a second what the contents of the bags were but knew it was not her business to ask. As instructed, she drove Sung Hwa to the law firm to drop the mother and son off. 

"Hey, can I use your phone for a minute?" Sung Hwa asked before getting off. 

"Here is my number. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can call me up anytime," Sung Hwa offered with a smile while returning the phone. "I know we just met and all but I was told that I'm a great listener."

Her statement made Gina think about Doo Joon, who had been a great listener from the first time they met. Wife, like husband. Husband, like wife. Why was she feeling so jealous over these little things? Gina gave Sung Hwa a nod, telling her she'd contact Sung Hwa soon to treat her. Sung Hwa laughed as she agreed and closed the door.

While driving away, Gina received a phone call from Ailee, informing her that Hye Ri had come back alone to the cafe, wanting to see her. With a worried heart, Gina made a turn back toward the cafe.

 

When Gina arrived, she joined Hye Ri at the table they sat earlier. The cafe was a little empty and Gina felt anxious. Gina sat down, greeted with a smile from Hye Ri. When Ailee came by to ask if any one of them wanted another drink, both refused. As Ailee left, Hye Ri's smile vanished and things began to get serious.

"What I said earlier about you coming to our wedding, I don't want you there," Hye Ri spat out rudely.

"Hye Ri, of course, I wasn't planning to, no matter what you two could have said," Gina explained. "I-"

"Also, stop contacting him and meeting each other. I feel uncomfortable."

"Excuse me?" Gina asked, baffled by Hye Ri's sudden change in personality from what she saw earlier that day. Gina wondered if this was who Hye Ri was or if it was just the new bride stress going on. 

"I'm tired of getting questions from friends and family about Yong Guk, not looking like a happy groom. He has barely taken part in the wedding plans and didn't even bother to take time off work. I'm sure if you're out of the picture, things would be easier for me. I saw the way you guys talked to each other earlier."

"I haven't planned to meet up with him until today, to meet the both of you. I'm already trying my best to forget about him so I'm sorry it's taking me awhile, but I'm really trying. I can ensure you that I won't be getting in the way of your relationship."

"Good. Well I came to say what I wanted," Hye Ri ended arrogantly as she stood up and made her way out the door.

Ailee rushed to Gina, who was still in some shocked over Hye Ri's behaviour. She was telling herself it was just the stressful bride talking, but at the back of her mind, she felt worried of who Yong Guk was marrying. Hyungsik joined them and Gina explained what just happened.

"So, what are you going to do?" Hyungsik asked Gina. She responded with a shrug of her shoulders, feeling confused.

 

After Gina's conversation with Hye Ri, she headed home and grabbed a bottle of soju to drink away her thoughts. She needed time to herself to think things through thoroughly. Gina laid out the ring in front of her on the table, along with a paper rose from Jay. She thought back to the side of Hye Ri that made her worry. A part of Gina told her it wasn't just stress talk, that it was Hye Ri's true nature. After a few shots, Gina rested her head down against her arm on the table and starred into space. When her phone rang and she saw that it was from Jay, she silenced her phone and flipped it over then closed her eyes.

Gina was woken up by Ailee, who nudged her lightly after getting home. When she raised her head up, Gina saw Hyungsik entering the suite carrying two bags of groceries.

"It's 9 already?" Gina asked after she realized how long she dozed off for. 

"Around there," Hyungsik replied as he placed the bags down in the kitchen. "Weren't you supposed to go to Jay's performance about two hours ago?"

"What are these?" Ailee questioned, holding the paper rose in one hand and the ring in the other. "Jay and Gukkie?"

Gina nodded. "I've been doing a lot of thinking and... I've made my decision. I really need to move on. I just need more time, alone."

Gina gestured for the ring back, to which Ailee returned. She quickly visited the washroom to freshen up and headed for the door. Before leaving, Gina added a quick goodbye and that she'd be home shortly.

"I guess that'll be the end of Yong Guk. She made her decision. Jay over him," Hyungsik said after Gina closed the door. 

"What?" Ailee was confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Yong Guk, he still had hopes that Gina and him could work out but he needed, or more like wanted her to give him a sign that she was okay with him cancelling the wedding. He was ready to leave Hye Ri if Gina was willing to be with him still. I tried to help him, convincing Gina to go the the wedding-"

"So... he wanted her there... to help him make a last minute final decision? At the wedding?" Ailee interrupted, thinking about what Hyungsik was saying. "That's... I don't even know."

"Yong Guk said he is willing to drop everything and leave if it meant he could be with her at the end. But now... poor guy. He would have never thought she'd choose Jay over him."

Ailee shook her head, her face scrunched up as if in pain. "Love is tough."

 

Gina was welcomed with a hug when Yong Guk opened the door for her. "I knew you'd change your mind about us. I just-"

"We need to talk," Gina said bluntly, pulling away from Yong Guk's embrace. When she realized how her words hurt Yong Guk, she lightened her tone. "I bought ice cream. Our tradition. Happy early birthday."

"I'll go get spoons," Yong Guk said, looking a little more relieved.

Gina placed the pints of ice cream down on the table in the living and sat down across from the TV. She looked up and watched Yong Guk rushing to pour Gina a cup of water. Then, something caught her attention from the corner of her eye. Gina turned to the stereo set, starring at the box in confusion. There was no mistake it was her box. She could see a picture of her and Yong Guk peeking out from the side hole of the box.

"How?" Gina asked, puzzled.

"How is that here?" she said again when Yong Guk returned. He walked over to the box and brought it to the table.

"You remember last week when our call was interrupted?" Gina nodded. "It was Hyungsik, here with that box. I opened it and saw all our... memories and that you threw all this out... it hurt."

"Hyungsik?" Gina was more confused. "Yong Guk, you know we have to move on. How else-"

"Remember this?" Yong Guk asked after he pulled out a photo of their road trip on their third year anniversary.

The two continued to reminisce about their past, digging into their pints of ice cream. By the end of looking over all the items in the box, the two sat in silence. Gina was hesitant, reconsidering her decision.

"I came here... to return something to you."

Yong Guk kept his head down, starring at his fists. He closed his eyes, and took a deep breath, accepting what was to come and looked back up to Gina.

"Yong Guk, I will never, ever forget all that we've been through. I will always love you, and you will always have a special place in my heart. What has happened, has happened for a reason." Gina reached into her pocket and pulled out the ring, placing it onto the table. "I need to move on. We need to move on."

Yong Guk stayed silent, nodding his head reluctantly.

"This is a goodbye for now. I don't think we should contact or see each other for the time being. At least until you've settled down with Hye Ri then we can see each other as friends. Just... friends." Gina stood up. "I should get going now."

Yong Guk stood up as well. "I'll walk you down?"

Gina nodded her head and they walked downstairs to her car in silence.

"So... you're choosing Jay over me huh?" Yong Guk asked, sounding hurt.

"No, no. I'm not choosing anyone over the other. Like I said earlier, you will also have a special place in my heart. Always."

"Okay. Well... I guess this is goodbye." Yong Guk reached a hand over and Gina's cheek, then pulled her in for a light kiss. They slightly pull away, their eyes closed, taking in the kiss.

"You're the best I ever had," whispered Yong Guk. He opened his eyes, and looked directly into Gina's then gives her one last hug. "Good bye Gina."

This time, he pulled away to let Gina go. Before she got into the car, Yong Guk told her to get home safely. Driving away, Gina watched him through her rearview mirror until he was no longer visible.

 

Gina got home at around midnight, surprised to see Hyungsik and Ailee still sitting in the living room talking.

"Are you alright?" Hyungsik asked as soon as he saw her step in the living room.

"How do I look?" Gina asked in return.

"Surprisingly... fine," Ailee replied then tapped the seat beside her. "Come sit and tell us what happened."

"Well, it's been a rough day with Yong Guk and Hye Ri earlier today but I'm now at ease."

"How did hyung take it?" Hyungsik asked with a hint of worry.

"He... we ended on a good note," said Gina with a light smile. "We'll be good friends."

After the look of relief was on Hyungsik's face, Gina added, "Just as Jay and I."