Chapter 10

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Gina spaces out as she thinks about her so-called gift while waiting for her remaining students to be picked up. She thought of the little girl, and remembered that the girl said that she made the painting herself. Maybe the girl chose her, Gina thought. Gina came up with many maybes of why and the best possibility was that it was because she was going through a heartbreak. Gina remembered the little girl's words and the dream, thinking that she might possibly be showing Gina the way to the man she was destined to be with.

Her thoughts moved on to Yong Guk and Jay. Gina felt that she has taken one step further in moving on from Yong Guk. Of course, she will always love him and is glad that they can still be friends. Maybe they were bound to break up sooner or later. Then there's Jay, who makes her feel... what does she feel exactly? Gina was still unsure about her feelings but there is a bit of excitement that Jay gives her.

One by one, Gina greeted and watched the parents that came to pick up their kids. The warmth of affection the parents give their children can be seen through their eyes. Gina wanted to be at that stage in her life, to get married and have kids of her own. She hoped that this gift of hers will help her find her man soon but first she needed to figure out how it works. She hasn't seen any trace of red strings since last night. 

As usual, Sang Woo was the last to be picked up. When Doo Joon arrived, he greeted and apologized for being late. As Doo Joon was sitting himself down, Gina glanced at her watched and noticed it was five after four. Gina stood up and apologized as she excused herself. Doo Joon flashed her a smile and told her that she didn't need to apologize and called Sang Woo over. After a few steps, Gina turned around and watched Doo Joon scoop Sang Woo in his arms, giving him kisses then tickles on their way across the street. She smiled at the sight and made her way inside to get her bag and lock up her classroom.

Gina went to shower when she got home from work, then applied some make up. While doing her make up, she receives a call from Ailee asking Gina to drive her home since Hyungsik took his car to run an errand. Gina left as soon as she finished getting ready.

 

"Why are you out so early? Don't you close at... what time do you close exactly? It's been so random," Gina asks as Ailee gets inside the car.

"We are now open 9 am to 9 pm. Hyungsik kept nagging me about hiring a worker so this morning, a girl came in to drop off her resume and I hired her."

"Just like that?" 

"Yes, just like that. She seemed fit for the job and I let her start today since she asked," Ailee paused and continued after seeing Gina's face. "Okay, also because I wanted to prove to Hyungsik that I can leave the shop in someone else's care."

"But on her first day? Shouldn't you wait and see if she trustworthy enough?" Gina asks, concerned.

"She... seemed honest and trustworthy. You know what, I'll come back at 8."

"Haha okay. What did Hyungsik have to do?"

"I don't know. He got a phone call and said it was urgent. He left at 1ish after putting up the 'now hiring' sign. Haven't seen or heard from him since." Ailee explains. "Which means I'll have to walk tonight, since you're out on a date later. It'd be my workout for the day haha."

"I can leave early if its past 9. I can drive you home at least," starts Gina but Ailee refuses Gina's offer. She wasn't going to ruin her best friend's plans with a guy.

About two blocks away from home at an intersection during a red light, Doo Joon and Sang Woo were crossing the street. Ailee noticed first and told Gina. Gina's eyes followed them to the other end of the street, smiling once again at the close interactions between the two.

"I'm really attracted by him right now," says Ailee. "He seems to get along well with children."

"When I see him, he makes me want to start a family. The way he plays with Sang Woo and the affection he gives. Don't you want to be a parent like that?" Gina asks Ailee.

"Like you're best friends with your kid? Yeah, that'll be nice but it still feels too early. I don't know if I'm ready to have a baby. I don't even have a boyfriend." Ailee gives Gina a frown and they both start laughing.

"I wonder how old he is. Compared to all the other parents of your students, he seems really young; around our age. A young father," Ailee thinks. "Sigh, too bad he's married."

"His wife is really pretty too-" Gina was interrupted by Ailee's gasp.

"Do you think he lives there??" Ailee asks pointing to an apartment building that was practically behind their building. "Neighbours?"

Gina shrugs her shoulders and turns into the parking lot.

"It's really too bad he's married. Wait, wait. Gina, you've been messing with my head. I'm checking out married guys."

"What about Dong Woo?" Gina asks.

"I've thought about it. He's not really my type, I think we're better as friends. Plus, let's say it doesn't work out. How awkward would it be for you?"

"Well thanks for thinking about me," says Gina as she hooks her arm through Ailee's. As the approach the elevator, they were join by Hyungsik.

"Hey guys! Ailee, what are you doing here?" Hyungsik asks as he presses the floor number. 

"I should be asking you that! Why are you here instead of the shop?"

Hyungsik holds up a ring with two keys and presses another floor number.

"I've just moved in! One floor up. Want to see?" Hyungsik asks.

"You haven't been at the shop all day because of this? There's no furniture or anything. Just your bed,' Ailee complains when Hyungsik gave the girls a tour of his place.

"There was some business I had to attend to earlier today. I was about to go back to the shop after... dropping this off," says Hyungsik as he puts down a big yellow envelop down on the kitchen counter. "But guess I can just chill at home now."

"Hey, Hyungsik can drive you to the shop tonight then," says Gina.

"The shop? Why? Didn't you already close?" Hyungsik asks, looking at Ailee confused.

"No. I hired this girl after you left. Gina said I shouldn't have left her by herself on her first day so I'll come back at 8 and close up at 9," explains Ailee.

"Gina's right. We should go down there and help her. Ailee, we work together, the two of us to keep up with the customers ever since we started selling drinks. How do you think a new girl can handle it herself on her first day?"

"I wasn't thinking it through. I just wanted... wanted to prove... never mind. My mistake. She did say she had experience as a barista and I've watched her work. She's a professional. Better than the both of us," says Ailee. "But yes, let's go down there later. You're right. You can get to know her too. When are you leaving Gina?"

"In half an hour," says Gina.

"Us too then," says Hyungsik. "Now that the three of us are together, can you tell me what was up this morning? The painting?"

Gina begins telling Hyungsik about the painting and the homeless girl then what she witnessed last night. Ailee then explained her theory about the connection of the red thread on soul mates. Gina continues the story by adding her dream.

"So what you're saying is that Gina, you can see who we're fated to be with?" asks Hyungsik. 

"Well, half? All the strings seem to lead to that web of thread. Unless it's from an actual couple. Married, I think," states Gina. Just like Ailee, Hyungsik raises his hands up.

"Do you see mine?"

Gina inspects his hands then shakes her head, telling him she hasn't seen the threads since last night. 

"Huh, interesting," mutters Hyungsik. "Not crazy at all.

 

Gina and Jay got to the theatre twenty past six. To their luck, the movie that was almost showing was a horror movie at 6:45. Jay went to buy the movie tickets while Gina bought the popcorn and drinks.

"You sure you'll be alright with a scary movie?" Jay asks as they make their way to the seats. 

"No, not really but it'll be fun. It's so empty here," Gina observes, only seeing about 6 other viewers in the room.

"Well you got me," says Jay, smiling at Gina when they sat down. 

During the movie, Gina slowly moved closer to Jay as the scenes got scarier. Eventually, Jay pulled up the arm of the chair to hold onto Gina easier. Naturally, his arm wrapped around her shoulder as she buries her face toward his body. At the end of the movie, Gina continuously apologized to Jay thinking she ruined the movie for him.

Before going home, Gina makes a short trip to Ailee's cafe. While outside in the car, she calls Ailee out, asking if she can accompany Gina home because she was afraid to be alone after dropping off Jay.

"You watched a horror movie? You can't handle horror," says Ailee. 

"I know but I told you, we'll watch whatever was showing next and that was it. Thought it wouldn't be so bad, but I didn't handle it very well."

"Nope, not at all," says Jays who turns to the back where Ailee was sitting and laughs.

"Gina, you're a genius," teases Ailee. "Didn't think you were like-"

"Whoa!" shouts Gina as she slams on her breaks. Jay worriedly asks her what was wrong while Ailee leans forward and whispers to Gina asking her if she sees the strings. Gina gives Ailee a light nod then tells Jay she's alright.

"Don't think you should ever watch a horror movie again," says Jay, giving Gina a pat on the shoulder.

"Yeah, haha," says Gina, laughing it off and continues driving. 

"You're living here??" Ailee asks Jay when they were parked in front of Gina's old house. "That would explain why you've been dropping by to see your mom so often. Or shall I say, Jay."

"You should come inside. I remember auntie saying she misses you Ailee," invites Jay.

As they get out of the car, Jay makes his way to the house first while Gina and Ailee walk behind. 

"Do you see mine now?" Ailee asks as she pulls out her hands at Gina.

Gina looks and as she focuses, a thin, light pinkish thread appears from Ailee's finger.

"Your ring finger," whispers Gina, amazed and surprised. "I see it."

"No way," Ailee whispers back, unable to believe it.

"I see it," she says again, nodding in confirmation.

"What are you guys doing?" shouts Jay, who was standing inside the house gesturing them in.

Inside, Gina calls down her mom to meet Ailee. Gina's dad was also home so they talked for a while before the girls decided to go home.

"Do you still see it?" Ailee asks, putting her hands up when they were in the car. Gina looks carefully then shakes her head with a frown.

"Awe, I wanted to follow it to see where it goes. Maybe if we, I mean you, are with me you might be able to see it more clearly and follow it. Well, how was the movie?" Ailee asks as Gina behinds to drive.

"Scary. Really scary, I don't know if I can sleep tonight. There were all these-"

"I meant you and Jay during the movie. Did he hold on to your hand?" asks Ailee.

"No," says Gina, blushing as she thinks back.

"Serious? Nothing happened?" Ailee frowns in disappointment.

"Well... this is so embarrassing. He had his arm around me throughout most of it while I was leaning against his chest."

"Now that's what I'm talking about! This is-" Ailee was cut off when Gina suddenly hit the breaks, followed with a honk by the person behind them who quickly switched lanes to pass them. 

"I really wish they would stop appearing randomly. Especially when I drive," Gina complains. They sat in silence until Ailee thought of something when they were in the parking lot of their building.

"That's it!" exclaims Ailee.

"What's it?" asks Gina confused.

"Think: Jay. You in his arms."

"Can you stop mentioning that? It's embarrassing! I don't want to think about it anymore," cries Gina, blushing. 

"Do you see it now?" Ailee raises her left hand up. Gina nods when she sees the pink thread.

"Well then," Ailee smiles and points toward Gina's chest. "How hard is your heart beating?"