Chapter 23

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Hi everyone! Sorry, it's been a long time since I've updated. Hope you enjoy this chapter :)

Mixed feelings coursed through Gina in a matter of seconds. She was initially surprised when Doo Joon pulled her toward him, being in his warm and confortable embrace, just the way she felt every time she saw him from behind. She was so close to him, enough to hear his breathing and feel the beating of his heart through his chest; or was it hers? Gina realized where her thoughts were wandering and shook them away. It wasn't right. Of course, Doo Joon must've been going through a tough time and probably just need a friend, Gina told herself. A hug. Just as Gina raised her arms to return the hug, Doo Joon jolted back, holding her at arms length.

"Gina, I'm...," Doo Joon combed his hand through his hair, looking troubled, then took a few steps back.

"No, I understand. Sometimes we all have-" Gina started to say but was interrupted.

"That was inappropriate, sorry, I crossed a line and- I should go back. Bye Gina."

Doo Joon's reaction slightly confused Gina but before she was able to process what happened, he was already back in the building. She simply whispered good bye and got into her car in a daze. The sea of red was back, flashing, her hand automatically moving to her heart. It was beating hard and Gina wasn't sure what it meant. Her mind told her Doo Joon needed a friend, which was obvious, but her heart seemed to be telling her otherwise, something impossible. Gina looked up to see the sea of red starting to fade then looked down at her hand, at her invisible thread. She glanced back at the building and thought she saw a figure hovering near the door. Maybe she was seeing things; Gina wasn't sure of anything anymore at that moment.

Gina had trouble sleeping when she got home. She had taken out the painting and placed it against her closet door, laying in bed starring at it. Under the moonlight, the red threads in the painting shone brighter, making her wonder if her mind was playing tricks on her. Gina thought and thought, and came to the conclusion that she needed to see him again. She needed to explain and set boundaries. She was unsure when she fell asleep but Gina was woken up by the sound of the door being shut. Ailee, Gina thought, and quickly checked her phone; she was late.

 

The next few days, Gina saw Doo Joon less and less. On Tuesday after school, Doo Joon had awkwardly greeted Gina. He said Hello, apologized for what happened and left. Wednesday, he immediately left after a quick simple greeting. Thursday, when Gina exited the school, Doo Joon was already hand in hand with Sang Woo, about to leave school grounds. He gave her a smile from the distance then took his leave. Friday, he didn't show up. Sung Hwa did.

"Gina! How are you?" Sung Hwa greeted with a hug, slightly surprising Gina. They both sat down on the bench.

"Cold," Gina commented, tucking her hands between her thighs for warmth. "Other than that, I'm doing fine, thanks for asking. How are you doing, pretty lady? You seem happy. In fact, you're beaming."

Sung Hwa raised her hands to her face and laughed. "Am I?" she asked as she fluttered her eyelashes. Sung Hwa became more serious and joyfully stated she indeed felt happier lately.

"I think I'm..." Sung Hwa was hesitant and shook her head. "Nevermind, it's not time yet but... I have a feeling the next year will be a good one. Good things will happen."

As if on cue, snow began trickling down from the sky. Sung Hwa looked up and closed her eyes, smiling. At the same time, she raised her hand to her chest, above her heart, clenched. "I'm think I've finally allowed myself to be happy and I'm ready to be more involved with my family."

Sung Hwa opened her eyes and turned to Gina with a shameful expression. "You can probably tell Sang Woo prefers Doo Joon over his own mother. Only now do I really want to change that. I want to be the mother like the father figure Doo Joon is to him. I just hope it's not too late."

Gina took her hand and placed it over Sung Hwa's. "It's never too late! It's good that you realized earlier rather than never. From what I see, you guys have a good mother-son relationship so there's nothing to worry about. The only thing that Doo Joon may have over you is the extra quality time he spends with Sang Woo. That can easily be done but it's not a competition. He needs the both of you equally in his life."

"You're right. What timing in how things worked out. Doo Joon left early to go back to our home town and I took the next two weeks off, which means more time with Sang Woo." Sung Hwa smiled to herself. "Just a little time to catch up."

Gina laughed, happy for the family but she wondered about Doo Joon. "Will Doo Joon be back to watch Sang Woo in the Christmas concert?"

Sung Hwa shook her head. "He asked me to film it. I thought it was odd that he was in such a rush to go back home because he usually needs convincing. I asked and Doo Joon said he was a little home sick so there's not much I could've said."

Gina was surprised to hear that, considering Doo Joon and his mom left off on a bad note earlier that week. Either they solved their problem over the phone or he just needed an escape to be alone for some time. She wondered what happened and decided to go with the former.

Sang Woo ran up and gave Sung Hwa a hug. "I guess this is my cue to go. I need to drop by the office anyway. We should hang out one day, go for a drink or something before I leave!"

Gina agreed to Sung Hwa's suggestion and said goodbye. As she turned around to grab her bag, she saw Yong Guk sitting in his car waiting. He waved then got out as Gina rushed to his car. Once they met up, Yong Guk gave her a kiss.

"How long were you here? Did you wait long?" Gina asked. "You should've given me a call saying you arrived."

"Not too long. I didn't want to disrupt your conversation. I have you all week anyway."

Gina smiled and leaned in to give Yong Guk a kiss. She walked over to the passenger side and as Yong Guk got in, Gina looked across and saw the backview of Sung Hwa and Sang Woo leaving. Gina closed her eyes and raised her chin up towards the sky, taking a deep breath. She opened them and watched the snowflakes falling, being reminded of the first snow fall; being reminded of Doo Joon. Her thoughts were interrupted when Yong Guk called for her. 

"Is something the matter?" he asked.

Gina shook her head and got into the car. "I was just... thinking about the snow."

 

Yong Guk wanted to cook dinner for Gina and spend alone time at his place. When they arrived, after handing her jacket to him, Gina walked over to balcony door and looked out to the cityscape. Seconds later, Yong Guk joined her, wrapping his arms around her and resting his chin her a shoulder. 

"What are you thinking about?" Yong Guk asked.

"Snow," Gina replied automatically but realized it wasn't a sufficient answer. "Life. Us. Me."

Gina can feel Yong Guk smiling next to her. "I'm happy that we're back here, together. I missed you, I missed us."

Yong Guk tightened his embrace, pulling her in closer toward him. His face snuggled in her neck, gradually sneaking in soft kisses. Gina closed her eyes, taking in his gentle kisses then turned around to where their lips met. It started off slow, then Yong Guk raised his hand to her cheek where his kisses deepened into longingness, desperation. He lead her toward the couch, then carefully laid her down comfortably. As Gina removed her phone from her back pocket and placed it on the coffee table, Yong Guk began to take off his top, then hers. His hands wandered, caressing her in the right places. When Yong Guk's kisses trailed down to her neck, Gina opened her eyes. She was facing the window, looking at the falling snow. Again, her thoughts returned to Doo Joon. She told herself to stop, that it wasn't right. She was with Yong Guk, in such an intimate moment. Why did she keep thinking about Doo Joon? She leaned back to face the ceiling instead, trying to focus on Yong Guk, his touch, his skin on hers. Her hands found Yong Guk and pulled him up for their lips to meet. She felt his lips curve into a smile as he whispered he loves her.

Gina's ringing phone interrupted them for a moment. They both looked up at the ringing phone but Yong Guk wanted to ignore it. From the ringtone, Gina knew it was Ailee but Yong Guk insisted she could call Ailee back later. The phone kept ringing and it bothered her so Gina picked it up.

"Hello?" Gina greeted, slightly still out of breath. It wasn't helping with Yong Guk still going at it on her neck.

"... Am I interrupting something?" Ailee asked suspiciously.

"No," Gina said the same time Yong Guk shouted "Yes." Yong Guk followed with a laugh as Gina playfully hit him on the shoulder in embarassment.

"Well I'm sorry but this is actually important. I forgot to tell you but Sikkie's grandma is getting discharged tonight. Dr. Lee will get things ready and I thought we should help him welcome her to his place. Sik will need us."

"Okay. What time are you planning to get there?" Gina asked seriously, sitting up straight.

"Around 7. Meet you there?"

"Yeah."

Ailee laughed. "Okay, I'll let you lovebirds get back to it. Bye!" she added before hanging up.

Yong Guk playfully sighed. "So now what?"

"Dinner?" Gina suggested. 

Yong Guk nodded and grabbed his undershirt from the ground. He pulled Gina in for a few more kisses before handing GIna her shirt and getting up to prepare dinner. Gina laid on the couch, lost in thought once again. Yong Guk began to initiate little conversation as he made dinner, telling her that Hye Ri had taken maternity leave and Tae Joo trying to make it up to him for what they did; and what he plans to do during his break. With their little talk, Gina told herself that she loves him. She wasn't trying to convince herself of that but in her heart, he meant everything to her. She loves Yong Guk. It was a fact.

 

Gina and Yong Guk got to the hospital a little early. They first met up with Dr. Lee in the lobby and the men talked while waiting for Hyungsik, Ailee and Mimi to arrive. Once they did, Ailee waited in the car at the pick up loop waiting for the rest of them to bring Hyungsik's grandma down. Dr. Lee warned that they must be careful because of grandma's fragility and to spend the last moments preciously because it was her wish to leave in peace somewhere she calls home.

It was difficult for everyone to lighten up the mood knowing what was to come. Hyungsik had told everyone it was okay and that they can leave after seeing her but they all insisted to stay the night. While Hyungsik was having alone time with his grandmother in the bedroom, everyone camped out in the living room, the men preparing food. Later in the night, Dr. Lee got paged to the hospital so he went to see Hyungsik's grandma before he left. When it was nearing midnight, Hyungsik gloomily came out of the room to inform everyone that it was almost time, that they should say their goodbyes just in case.

Ailee stepped back hesitantly, almost in tears. "I- I'm- I'm not ready," she stammered.

Mimi sat Ailee on the couch and looked at Gina, nodding toward the room. Yong Guk walked in first, Gina following behind. Yong Guk approached the bed first, taking in Hyungsik grandma's hand and whispered something to her while her hand. He ended with a pat and looked up at Gina warmly. She walked over to the bed and momentarily met Grandma's gaze before she closed them. Gina whispered her hopes for Grandma to rest in peace and not to worry about Hyungsik; he had many friends here who would watch out for him, especially her and Ailee. The corner of Grandma's mouth twitched and Gina leaned down to give her a kiss on the cheek before leaving the room.

Mimi bid farewell to Grandma after Gina, Ailee following after preparing herself. Gina watched Hyungsik standing at the doorway, looking at Ailee. He was much calmer than Gina expected, causing her to wonder if his grandmother's death was something he had prepared for the past few days and accepted. After Ailee finished, leaving the bedroom with tears b in her eyes, Hyungsik walked out and thanked everyone for staying. He made the decision and asked everyone to go home because he felt like he troubled them all with his problems. When everyone again insisted that it wasn't a problem, he requested they leave anyway because he wanted to spend the last few moments of his grandmother's life alone with her. Ailee reluctantly agreed and Mimi was invited to sleepover at Ailee's and Gina's.

Halfway out the door, Gina luckily realized she forgot her phone on the coffee table before the door closed. As she headed to the living room and picked up her phone, she heard Hyungsik telling his grandmother about his upbringing; how much he loved her, and thanked her for taking him in and raising him. Gina didn't mean to eavesdrop but as she turned to leave, she heard Hyungsik say "She's the one I love Grandma. It was always her, my one and only." She heard him sigh with a light chuckle as she quickly, and quietly, rushed out of the suite, locking the door behind her. She went to meet Mimi and Ailee at the end of the hallway to the staircase.

"What's wrong?" Mimi asked. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

Gina shook her head. "No, nothing. It's just, this is a lot to take in. I'll be praying for her."

"As will I," Ailee sadly added, followed by a nod in agreement from Mimi.

The three women set up their sleeping arrangments in the living room. None of them could really sleep, as they were thinking about Hyungsik and his grandmother. As the topic shifted to Hyungsik's past, with Mimi telling them her childhood stories that involved Hyungsik, Gina pondered over what she overheard Hyungsik saying to his grandmother. 'She's the one I love Grandma. It was always her, my one and only.' Hyungsik was in love and none of them knew it. After being best friends for so long, why didn't Hyungsik say anything? After some thought, Gina concluded 'she' had to be Ailee. There couldn't be anyone else he could've meant, or was there? Gina started to wonder if she could possibly misinterpreted since she didn't know what he was talking about in context. She shook the thoughts away for now, thinking of asking him after the funeral. Deep down, Gina hoped it was true. It just made sense. Knowing how Ailee's feelings for Hyungsik was shaping up, and if his person he loves was Ailee, it would be perfect. Just thinking about that made Gina happy inside. 

 

The next morning, Hyungsik beared the news that his grandma had passed away in the middle of the night. Later that day, the funeral home had come to take Grandma's body away. Hyungsik spent the rest of the evening ringing up some family members and his grandmother's friends to bring them the news and the time of funeral. Mimi had helped Hyungsik relay the message to her side of the family.

The day after, Ailee had to open up the shop to finish an order that was to be picked up Monday afternoon. Gina helped Ailee with the decorations in the kitchen while Yong Guk helped Mimi to manage the store. After a busy day, Ailee was able to finish the order. Hyungsik had dropped by the shop during closing time claiming he needed time outside for fresh air and wanted to see his friends. While he was finishing some paper work and phone calls to notify people of his grandmother's death, he had received a phone call about her estate. She had  entitled Hyungsik two-thirds while the last third was going toward charity. The issue had been stressing him out and asked Mimi to tell her family that he was willing to part with a third if they were to attend the funeral in peace to respect his grandmother. Mimi went home that day to talk to her family and they were happy with Hyungsik's offer, agreeing to come in peace.

The funeral was held on Wednesday, Grandma's favourite day of the week. She had often told Hyungsik that Wednesday was the best day because half the of the week has gone; it was right in the middle. Gina had taken the day off work and Ailee closed her shop. Gina, Ailee, Mimi, Yong Guk and Mr. Lee helped Hyungsik manage the funeral. Ailee frequently checked in on Hyungsik as he greeted people and watched as they paid respect to his grandmother. That night, the six friends spent the night at Hyungsik's for drinks, getting drunk into discussion and passing out in the night.

After sorting out the money issue, Hyungsik returned to the cake shop to help Ailee with the shop, managing the front and aiding in cake decorating. Orders needed to be completed for pick up for the holidays next week and Ailee fell behind schedule after what had happened. Hyungsik kept himself busy to keep his mind off the death of his grandmother. 

On Friday afterschool, Gina was surrounded by the Ajummas from her previous students. They were catching up with one another, asking each other their plans for the Christmas holiday. Sung Hwa joined them shortly after when the ahjummas were just about to go their separate ways. 

"I haven't seen them before. Are they parents of your current students?" Sung Hwa asked.

"No, they're mothers of the students I had last year. Once in a while they come and visit me to catch up," Gina explained with a smile. "How are you? Wow honestly, your day must've been good because you're glowing!"

Sung Hwa blushed. "Thank you, but let's not talk about me. How are you doing? I heard you were at a funeral yesterday."

Gina told Sung Hwa about Hyungsik's grandmother to explain why Gina has been busy during the week, leaving the school right away once class ended. They caught up a bit until the playground started to empty because of the cold weather. After Sung Hwa left with Sang Woo, Gina returned to the classroom to gather her belongings and work she needed to bring home. As she grabbed her bag, she noticed an envelop with her name written on the front on her desk. Gina opened it to find a letter written from Doo Joon, realizing it might've dropped out from Sang Woo's agenda when she was writing a note for Sung Hwa. She sat back down on her chair, took a breath and read the letter.

Hi Gina,

I know what I did the other night was crossing a line. I know that I have made it harder for you by breaking some boundaries between a teacher and parent. Involving you into my personal life, involving myself in yours - it's all my fault. I hope that my actions do not affect your relationship with Sang Woo, or even Sung Hwa. I sincerely apologize for my behaviour and if they have troubled you in any way.

Doo Joon

After reading the letter, Gina felt conflicted. Yes, she herself had wanted to set boundaries but seeing how Doo Joon completely blamed himself, she realized it was more her fault. She was the one that involved him into her personal problems by telling him and Doo Joon was just always there for her as a friend. She never felt like he troubled her; from the time since she got to know Doo Joon, he was always going out of his way to help her, genuinely wanting to help by listening and giving her advice.

Gina started to feel apologetic for making him feel that way. She took out her phone and scrolled to find Doo Joon's number. Opening a new message, she typed out a 'Hi' and hesitated, hovering her thumb over the SEND button. No, Gina thought, texting him might not be a good idea. So she erased her short message just as Yong Guk called her.

It was a movie night for the couple since it was almost the end of Yong Guk's week off. Gina was having trouble focusing on the ride to theatre, telling Yong Guk she was a little tired. He was about to cancel movie plans but Gina said she'll be okay after she get some shut eye on their way there. The car ride was silent while she thought about Doo Joon, wondering what she should do. When they entered the theatre, with the movie starting, Gina excused herself to run to the washroom. Outside, Gina pulled out her phone and quickly texted Doo Joon her 'Hi'.