Paper Roses

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Jay continues to keep his eyes on Gina and Yong Guk. He couldn't understand why Ailee would feel bad for the guy. He was the one that left Gina for another woman.

"Why him?" Jay asks, "Wasn't he the one that left Gina?"

"So she told you. He left her, but only because he had to take responsibility. Obviously he still loves her, just look at him."

"Take responsibility?" Jay thought about it when Ailee just gave him a look, and it came to him. "He got the other woman pregnant? And you say he's still in love with Gina?"

"Well, what can you do when alcohol takes over?"

Jay, baffled with the relevation, shakes his head. "Gina? How-"

"Crushed. Heartbroken. There are certainly still some feelings between the two but I've been trying to help her move on," says Ailee, taking a sip of her drink. "On second thought, maybe not help but more like force. What friend I am huh?" She laughs to herself and sighs after realizing how bad of a friend she has been.

"What do you mean by force?"

"I've been pushing her into seeing people, hoping she'll move on and forget about him. Then again, a month isn't that much time for someone who has been so in love for 4 years to move on. Well almost 4."

"What do you mean-"

"If you want to hear anymore, Gina should be the one you should be talking to. I've already said too much," says Ailee.

"Well, I still don't see how that tells you he still loves her," Jay says, shaking his head.

Ailee chugs down the rest of her drink then looks at Jay, observing his expression.

"You like her, don't you?" Ailee asks.

 

Gina and Yong Guk sit in complete silence after Yong Guk orders his drink. Without looking at Gina, he asks him how she's doing. She turns to him, ready to face him and have a proper conversation but he kept his eyes on his cup. She replies, telling him she's doing well. Gina sees the end of his mouth curl and finally he turns to face her.

"That's good to hear," he says, locking his eyes onto hers. His smile falters and goes back to look at his cup, this time fiddling his thumbs.

"Very good to hear," he adds, much quieter.

In those few seconds, Gina realized how different Yong Guk looks compared to before. He was no longer the cheerful, bubbly Yong Guk but now gloomy and depressed.

She raises her hand and touches his cheek, asking what has happened to him. He reaches for her hand and removes it from his face, smiles and says that he's just stressed from the wedding plans.

"I'm not doing so well," he later confesses, no longer keeping eye contact with Gina.

"I miss you so much Gina. Everything I do or talk about with Hye Ri, I think of you. When we took pre-wedding photos, imagining you in that beautiful white dress was the only way I was able to smile. I don't know how much longer I can handle this-" Gina grabs both of his hands into hers, hoping it'll help calm the agitated Yong Guk. He lets out a sigh.

"I know, I should take responsibility for my actions. I just wish that Hye Ri has someone she loves. She can marry him instead and I'll help them provide for the baby, but she doesn't," he pauses to catch his breath.

"No one knows about the baby except us. That's why the wedding is rushed. Her belly is starting to show and her family would be furious to know that she got pregnant before marriage. I-" he stops and shakes his head. "But it's the right thing to do... right? I have to go on with the wedding. I can't let her be a single mother as a result of my actions. Gina, tell me I'm doing the right thing."

Gina takes a deep breath, debating on what to say. She wanted him back so badly but also felt bad for Hye Ri if he left her. She knew that Yong Guk would also feel guilty later in the future if he were to leave Hye Ri, so she told Yong Guk that he should keep it up and go on with the wedding.

Yong Guk stands up and reaches into his jacket pocket, pulling out Hyungsik's spare key to the apartment and slides it to Gina.

"I'll learn to love them, Gina, I'll try my best. I don't want that child growing up without a father either. I have to at least face the consequences of my-" Yong Guk was interrupted mid-sentence when Gina got out of her seat and hugged him, telling him to do what he feels is right. In return, he wraps her in an embrace, pulling her closer to him, giving her a tight hug. 

"I love you," Yong Guk whispers, receiving the same message from Gina. He then pulls her away then takes a deep breath and gently smiles at Gina.

"I'll walk you back," he offers, and looks toward the table with Ailee and Jay.

 

"First love?" Ailee asks teasingly.

"Yeah, something like that. Told myself when I was little she'd be the girl I'd marry but that one summer she left and broke my little heart, haha. I've dated other girls, but not seriously. They were different. This will probably sound weird but my thoughts have always been filled with curiousity of how Gina grew up and turned out to be. This curiousity grew the older I go and I wanted to at least see her one day, just to say hi. You must think I'm creepy and lame," Jay ended with a chuckle.

"Nah, so what do you think of her now that you have seen her?" Ailee asks expectantly.

"She's beautiful, just like the girl I knew 12 years ago. Never thought she'd suffer like this though," explains Jay, with a sad expression.

"You know, you might've appeared in her life just at the right time," Ailee says, "You might be the one that makes her happy."

"When she's been so in love and not even over the guy? I don't know if I have a chance, but of course I'll try," Jay says, brightening up as he sees Gina walk back toward the table. At the same time, Hyungsik returns with Dr. Lee.

 

"So who's the new guy? Ailee's new boyfriend?" Yong Guk asks Gina as they walk back to the table.

"My childhood friend," was all Gina could think of saying. She was still thinking about their hug earlier, and how she wished things were back to how they were before.

"He seems like a nice guy, you should intro-" Yong Guk was interrupted as he caught Gina when she tripped. He asks if she's okay noting how she's rubbing her temples.

"I feel a little dizzy. I think I drank a little too much," she tells him, and looks back at the ground. Red thin strands of thread were floating a distance above the ground everywhere. They continued to appear and disappear every few seconds, confusing Gina. Right when she was about to take the next step, the strands of red flashed at her, causing her to take a sudden step back and bump into Ken.

"Whoa Gina, you okay?" Ken asks as he holds on to an unstable Gina. She flings her arm back telling him she is fine, causing him to fall back and bump into a waitress, dropping her tray of drinks.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry," Gina apologizes after Ken. She bends down attempting to help Ken and the waitress but he stops her, telling Gina he'll take care of it.

Hyungsik got back to the booth the same time that Gina and Yong Guk did. Ailee immediately asks Gina how she was doing after witnessing the accident. Yong Guk tells her that Gina was feeling dizzy, causing Hyungsik to be worried but Gina claims that she was okay. Jay speaks up, suggesting that they should take Gina home to rest. As Jay gets up, Yong Guk introduces himself and Jay the same. Jay leaves after the introduction, stating that he needed to go find s. The others leave the club at the same time, splitting off in the parking lot.

"Remember Hyungsik, next week," Dr. Lee reminded Hyungsik before they separated. Ailee asks Hyungsik what it was about but he ignores her. 

At home, Gina immediately goes to wash up and heads to bed but was unable to fall asleep as her thoughts were filled with Yong Guk. Suddenly her phone beeps, notifying of a text message. It was from Jay that read: 'paper rose' along with a smiley face. Gina then remembers about the paper rose that Jay presented to her during the performance and gets up to grab her bag. With a smile as memories return, she unrolls the stem of the rose to reveal a message: "Tomorrow. 5." Then she gets another text from Jay wishing her a good night.

~ - ~

"Gina! You're... all dressed up. Beautiful," says Jay as he opens the door to find Gina in a dress.

"And you're not..."

"Did you think this was a date?" Jay asks teasingly, giving Gina a wink.

"I-" Gina blushes, unable to think of an excuse.

"Teasing ya. Sorry, I should've explained. We're just having dinner, with our moms."

"Oh," says Gina, giving Jay a playful punch in the shoulder on her way inside. "You should've told me."

Gina goes inside, greeting her mom and Jay's. She asks her mom if her old clothes are still there so that she can change into more comfortable clothes. Her mom tells her they should all still be in the closet of her old room. Gina thanks her mom and tells the ladies she'll be right down for dinner.

"Wait, Gina, wait!" Jay calls after Gina up the stairs. Gina stops outside her room to see what was wrong.

"I- There's something you shouldn't see... give me one sec," Jay says as he goes into the room and closes the door. Seconds later, he comes out telling Gina she can go inside but she continues to stand outside the room, arms crossed and smiling.

"What?" Jay asks.

" stash?" 

"What?? N-No," Jay stammers. Gina laughs and pats Jay on the shoulder, telling him it's okay because they're adults now. When Gina finished changing and got out of the room, Jay follows her back downstairs, trying to explain to Gina he wasn't hiding what she thought he was.

In the middle of dinner, the four were joined with Gina's dad who came home from work. Together, the five of them talked about the past and their old neighbour back in Canada. At close to 10, Gina excused herself to go home because next day she had to teach. Her mom tells her to wait for a bit so that she can pack some food for Gina and Ailee. When Gina's mom was done, Gina goes to put on her shoes. Jay tells her to wait for him at her car and runs upstairs. Gina did what she was told and waited for Jay, who came outside holding something behind him.

As he approached her, Jay presents Gina with a bundle of paper roses. He explains that there were many things he wanted to do when he saw her again and wrote them all down so he hopes that each day, Gina would pick a rose to see what they would do that day. He then asks if she's okay with doing so.

"Sounds exciting," states Gina, as she takes the bundle of roses. "Thank you."

"Well, good night Gina. You should get going."

"Night Jay," says Gina as she gets into the car. When she puts her seatbelt on and starts the engine, Jay knocks on the car window. Gina rolls down the window and leans over to the passenger seat.

"Yeah?" Gina asks Jay.

Jay pushes his head in and gives Gina a soft, gentle kiss.