Catching Up

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Thoughts were swirling around in Gina's head. Jay, the guy standing in front of her at that moment, his arms open, 12 years later; her childhood crush, the boy who she'd wait for every summer when he comes to visit his uncle, her next door neighbour in Canada. His mom and uncle are twins who were close friends with Gina's mother; his mom moved to the states after getting married so she would visit some of her family in Canada every summer.

"Is it really you? How- When did you-" stammers Gina, her thoughts jumbled. Jay frowns when he realizes that he wasn't going to receive a hug from Gina, and puts down his arms.

"Let's talk inside, auntie is waiting to see you," Gina's mom interrupts. Going inside, Gina sees a woman sitting in the living room looking at her photos from childhood up to her graduation. Meeting her gaze when she looks up, Gina bows and greets the woman.

"Gina!?" exclaims Jay's mom, examining Gina from top to bottom.

"You're so grown up now! So beautiful!" she says, giving Gina a hug.

"You remember Jay, don't you?" she asks, pointing to her son, to which Gina nods to. She pulls Gina down to sit next to her on the sofa and continues to talk about Jay as Jay and Gina's mom sit themselves down.

"You know, he never forgot about you. When he found out that you left that summer we arrived, he was so upset and mad that-"

"That was years ago mom. I was what, 12? Don't have to-" interrupts Jay, but he gets cut off.

"-you didn't say good bye."

"And I still am, by the way," Jay chimes in.

"I told him I could find out a way to contact your mom but Jay refused and said he was going to earn money to come surprise you one day. However, he had to finish school first, that was the condition. Who knew that 12 years later, he still-"

Embarrassed, Jay stands up and declares that he had dance practice to go to.

"Have some cake before you go," Gina's mom suggests, holding up the box that Gina brought. "Or give some to your members. I don't like sweets that much."

"I don't either," adds Jay's mom.

"Thanks auntie. Mom, I'll be back tonight. Don't wait up," he tells his mom and leaves without saying a word to Gina.

"Gina, you should drive him to his studio. He's been walking there every day for the past week," Gina's mom insists. "He shouldn't be so far. Also, catch up."

Gina listens and goes outside. Looking to her left then right, Gina finds Jay near the end of the block. She gets into her car and drives down the road. Approaching him, she rolls down the passenger window and calls out to him, telling him to get in.

There was an awkward silence after Jay agreed to get in the car and gave Gina the address.

"So... when did you get here?" asks Gina.

"Last week, Friday," replies Jay. Gina thought back about the previous weekend, when she saw his performance at Club X. 

"So you performed a day after you got here? How did you have time to practice? Weren't you tired?" asks Gina.

"We practiced in the States before we got here," he begins explaining, "I was tired but when I spotted you in the crowd that day... my day got better."

Gina saw him smiling in the corner of her eye. A bit embarrassed, she couldn't meet his eyes and wasn't sure of what to say.

"I was just kidding... about still being mad when you left without saying goodbye. I was back then, when I was still young, when we were kids. I did want to see you again though," explains Jay.

"I was sad as well but was also vert excited. I forgot about you when I started trying to adjust to life here. I did wonder about you time to time, especially when it was the summer," says Gina.

"But I'm glad we finally get to meet after so many years." This time she was able to meet his gaze, both of them smiling.

"However, not under that great of circumstances. You caught me off guard and-" starts Gina but was interrupted.

"About that... to be honest, I changed up our routine a teeny bit. Kissing you... was an act of impulse." Jay paused. Gina felt herself get red.

"How did you know it was me? I mean, its been 12 years. I've changed, you also. It took me a while to recognize you."

"I just knew. As for the slap, that wasn't me," says Jay, laughing. "I was standing right in front of you. I was a bit sad when you didn't recognize me."

"What do you mean that wasn't you??" asks Gina, confused.  "The face mask. Your face mask."

"Ah, the whole group has one. During the performance, our first performance here, I only kept mine on because I saw you. Oh, we're here. Thanks for the ride," says Jay as he get off the car.

"Wait, so who did I slap?"

"Don't worry about it," he says and closes the door.

"No, I need to apologize. Can I come inside for a bit?" asks Gina, also getting out of the car. 

"Why not, you're already here."

Walking inside, Gina finds people scattered across the room, each practicing on their own thing.

"Look who's finally here," someone shouts from across the room. People started to walk toward the door where Jay and Gina were standing. Jay moves instead to a nearby bench and opens up the cake box, telling the guys to take a break and have some cake.

"Oh it's you!" cries a guy, pointing at Gina. "What's she doing here," he asks, directing his question to Jay.

Gina points back to the guy and looks at Jay.

"... Is it him?" she asks to which Jay nods.

"Last week... I'm so sorry about the slap. After the kiss... then in the parking lot, I thought you were making fun of me so I..." 

"Making fun of you? I was teasing Jay. I wondered who you could be for someone like Jay to do that and not follow the original routine," says the guy, giving Gina a huge grin.

"I'm Ken," he says, reaching out his hand for a hand shake. "You are?"

"Gina," she says, shaking Ken's hand. "So... do you accept my apology? Gina asks.

"Of course. If some guy did that to me, I would slap him too," then Ken yells out to the other guys that her name was Gina. They then crowded around to greet her. While the guys were eating, Gina spends some more time talking to Jay and Ken.

"So, what's the relationship between you two?" Ken asks curiously but then directs the question to Jay.

"I have always heard you mentioning a 'someone' but I never got a name nor a face. I'm guessing that 'someone' is Gina?" Jay nods in response.

"I've known him since elementary. We're best friends so we pretty much have the same friends. Why is it that I've never seen you?" he asks Gina.

"Probably because I'm from Canada. I live next to his uncle so we see each other every summer that he visits," describes Gina. 

"I had a huge crush on this guy," adds Gina for fun.

"I see. That's cute, but that was years ago. How about now? Jay's single, what about you? Anyone special in your life?" Ken asks, giving Gina a sly wink. Gina felt the stares from Ken and Jay, waiting for her answer.

"There is," she says and sees Ken give an 'I'm sorry' look at Jay.

"Was, actually," she corrected herself and sees both the guy's faces relax. What followed was an awkward silence.

"Well! I should get back to practice for tomorrow's last performance. You coming tomorrow Gina?" Ken asks.

"I-"

"You must! Actually, you should join us. Be part of the choreo," he suggests.

"It'll be fun! Think about it," Ken says then leaves to join the other guys.

"What do you say Gina?" Jay asks.

"I'll think about it. I'll watch you guys practice. I don't have anything to do anyway, so I'll wait until you're done."

"Okay," Jay says and runs to s. They gather in a circle, Jay explaining something. A few of them nod and then they return to practicing. Replaying the music from the beginning, they begin their routine.

Gina looks around and in one corner, she notices sleeping bags and garbage laying around. Bags of chips, instant noodle cups, beer cans and water bottles. She makes her way to the back and cleans up. She opens their mini fridge, finding it empty. After gathering the garbage into a bag, she goes out to throw out the garbage and makes a trip to the super market.

When she returned, Ken runs up and takes the grocery bags from her, setting them down beside the door.

"You," he instructs, "Stand right here then go with the flow."

Gina was a bit confused to what Ken wanted her to do so she just stood there, watching the guys get into position. They the music again and started break dancing.

Gina watched and waited. What did Ken mean when he said to go with the flow? Then, Jay walks toward her, just like the night at Club X. He pulls her in and the others form a circle. Each of them alternating in head spins then rocking. Then she knew what Ken meant. Slowly, Jay lead her into a waltz. Gina stumbled a bit but was surprised when Jay dipped her. Upside down, she looks across from her, seeing one of the guys holding their hand out. She she was upright again, she saw how all the guys were kneeling with their hands out like they were holding something.

"Roses," Ken explains, noting the confused look in Gina's face. "We'll be holding roses. Simple right? You just need to follow Jay's lead."

"How about instead of me, you dance with my friend?" Gina suggests. "She's been curious about you Jay."

"Uhh... sure," he says, a little sadness in his voice. "Guess we're done here."

After bidding farewell, Gina and Jay leaves together. She asks him about where the others were staying and Jay explains that the studio is owned by a relative of Ken's. Ken and a few has a home to stay in Korea but the rest sleeps at the studio. He also thanks her for the grocery she bought for the guys.

"So, where do I drop you off? Where are you staying?" Gina asks.

"Your house," replies Jay, an answer that Gina didn't expect.

"What?"

"Your mom suggested that. She wanted to catch up with my mom."

"Ohh."

~ - ~

When they arrived to Gina's house, they can hear their moms talking upstairs. Gina makes her way to the kitchen and grabs a pack of beer.

"Wanna drink?" she asks him. Jay nods and follows Gina back into the living room, sitting next to her. She turns on the TV, opens a can of beer and hands it to Jay.

"So, that special someone of your... what did you mean when you said there was someone?" Jay asks.

"We broke up, not too long ago."

"How long?"

"Four years."

"Wow. Can I ask why? Why you guys broke up?"

Gina hesitated before answering. "He's getting married, in a week."

"Another woman?" Jay whispers, aghasted. "I'm so sorry Gina."

"What about you? I don't believe that theres no girl."

"I got some flings here and there but nothing serious. I was waiting." Gina felt like she knew what he meant and didn't want him to expand on it so she just nods.

"What have you been doing after school?" she asks.

"Dance. Sing. People book us sometimes but majority of the time, we perform for charity."

"Wow, Jay, you're pursuing your dream. I remember back then you told me that you wanted to be a performer. One that helps people."

"Yeah. Even though we don't make much but I'm happy. What about you?"

"Teacher."

"Just like you said back then. We both pursued our dreams."

"Mhmm."

They both said nothing, just staring at the TV. Eventually, Jay falls asleep. When Gina noticed, she turns off the TV, puts away the unopen cans of beer back into the fridge and throws the empty ones into the recycle bin. She runs upstairs to grab a blanket and goes back down to cover Jay with it. She takes her bag and leaves the house.

When the door clicked shut, Jay opens his eyes and looks down at the blanket, smiling.